spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

Equipment Failures

Since Wildblue was launched around late summer of 2005, these failures existed:

1. TRIA - The outdoor unit failed on a large scale due to a sealing screw not being tightened down at factory. This issue was rectified by late-fall or winter of 2005.

2. Power Supply - At least one production batch had an issue where, iirc, there was not enough current being supplied. Some failed completely, and others sort of worked like an intermittent problem.

3. Cable - In those days, some installers installed the wrong cable, and some installed shorter length cable, which needed to be >50' for those within/around beam's bullseye.

4. SMTS (Satellite Modem Termination System - controls Tx power levels on users' TRIA) - When installers used less than 50' cable, and when an user was within/around beam's bullseye, this "overpowered" their equipment, and the SMTS equipment would have to reset, which meant all users on that beam lost service. Their ground unit was software upgraded to accommodate these stronger signals, and iirc, installers had to rectify those users' short cable issue.

5. Ethernet SNAFUs - Numerous firmware updates were required to deal with glitches in different Ethernet routers/cards.

Since Exede launched:

1. Installation - Wrong cable, wrong mounting, etc....installer issue.

2. Extreme Cold Weather - I had a cable connector issue, »[Exede] Modem/IFL Cable Status , which is not an issue in regards to ViaSat's equipment.

3. Firmware Updates - It seems they keep on twitching/updating, and hopefully, this will end. Otherwise, some folks might have to buy another modem; so if your modem fails when they update, make sure ViaSat eats the cost, all costs, including truck roll to fix it.

4. Ethernet SNAFUs - Firmware updates were required to deal with glitches in different Ethernet routers/cards.

5. Telco Routing - Exede uses »AcceleNet servers, which are not located at your gateway, so Telco lines are leased so traffic can be routed to AcceleNet server used. In earlier days, there were issues in this setup, due to various reasons, no doubt.

6. Equipment Failure - Not on a large scale, but we don't hear much on this topic. In my case, I'm on beam's outer edge, which means the TRIA is outputting more Tx power, but after two years, not an equipment issue in my hot/cold environment, just dish re-alignment.

7. Future Installs - Since ViaSat demands equipment back, this raises the question of are they recycling it on new installs. So far, I'm not aware of equipment failures (TRIA/MODEM/POWER-SUPPLY), but on newer installs, this might be a valid question to ask the installer if new equipment is being installed.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Footnote - AcceleNet Technology
wh7qq
join:2012-06-12

wh7qq to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
Interesting list. I doubt Exede is recycling the TRIAs, as the cases would show obvious signs of oxidization and as there are several generations of hardware with different configurations, the mix and match problems would multiply. Modems may be another matter...as they live indoors in most cases, they could be cleaned and checked and turned around.

Mainly, I don't think ViaSat wants the hardware around out there in the wild, with no control over how they are used, aimed, etc., with a big market on eBay for the bits. It would be difficult to get past the walled garden to make use of a bootlegged system but I suppose a talented hacker could finger it out and spread the word.

Good point on the firmware updates. At some date, it will be hard to maintain backwards compatibility and corporate technical memory tends to be short...beware of updates.

The first item on the Exede list seems to me to be the biggest one now that most of the hardware issues have been sorted out...faulty installs. Exede hasn't much control over what the independents do out in the field. My installation, while robust, would likely trigger several items on an audit if you go strictly by the book.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by wh7qq:

ViaSat

They provided the ground/user equipment and maintenance (?) for the investor-owned Wildblue. So, ViaSat knew the essence of Wildblue, and they added their DAMA scheduler in November 2006. Before DAMA scheduler, Skype could be used, but after this was installed, pings (latency) jumped from 600ms to "1,200 to 1,500ms pings with some occasionally ranging from 2 to 6 seconds, [which] messed up gaming, killed VOIP and made page loads slow, especially secure https." »[general] Latency ?

Modems - Slap a new plastic cover on it, and its "ViaSat New." Yes, a modem could last ten plus years, if well built.

Hardware Recycled - New covers could be used, or equipment is being "green" recycled. If TRIA/Modem is not returned, they fetch currently $300.00 from your charge card, so imho, there is either a capitalist money angle here, or perhaps equipment is recycled.

Keep in mind that Cellphone, DBS, and satellite (ISPs) companies have two year contracts. For ViaSat (aka Exede), they charge something like $15.00/month if you bail-out before contact expires; so in theory, the consumer would pay for the equipment.

Exede Representative...feel free to chime in...just who is your "green recycler(s)?" New customers?
ExedeDiana
join:2015-02-17
Englewood, CO

ExedeDiana

Hi DrStrandLov I really would like to assist you with your concerns. Please send me your account information to exedelistnes@viasat.com Thank You Exede Diana
wh7qq
join:2012-06-12

wh7qq

said by wh7qq:

Interesting list. I doubt Exede is recycling the TRIAs, as the cases would show obvious signs of oxidization and as there are several generations of hardware with different configurations, the mix and match problems would multiply.

Guess I blew that one...complaint on the WB forum this am about failures of obviously used units sent as replacement for installed unit. See post # 25 at »www.wildblueworld.com/fo ··· th/page3.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by wh7qq:

failures of obviously used units sent

I have no objection to recycled equipment, but it should have

1. been verified for fitness via last user's data
2. a free two year replacement guarantee and
3. be marked so any installer/user knows its recycled

If either modem/TRIA fails with my provider, I would like to have the choice and price of

A. NEW - $
B. Recycled - $

Note - I'm not charged a monthly maintenance fee, so if it breaks, I pay.

My original Wildblue modem and pwr supply never failed in seven years, but the TRIA failed once (production fault), and twice (5 years later).
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to ExedeDiana

to ExedeDiana
said by ExedeDiana:

Hi DrStrandLov I really would like to assist you with your concerns.

Well, thanks for the concern. I was detailing various issues that original Wildblue had, along with Exedes. I'm not aware of any hardware issues currently

FWIW, back in 2005, myself and fjholler, an university professor, were instrumental in the creation of this forum.