spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fanofmets21
join:2005-12-30
Seaford, NY

fanofmets21

Unknown New-Host on client list

On my mi424wr-gen3i router client list I keep finding a device with a wireless connection listed as New-Host usually not active as I can't ping it and its grayed out.

I remove it from the client list and it returns within 24 hours.

I tried to match it to any of my devices bases on the MAC address F0 4F 7C and the vendor online comes up as Private.

I have made a list of all the devices in the home and this connection is a mystery.

Anyone have an idea if someone has hacked in? I used a very long WPA2 key about 24 characters.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

I would enable MAC address filtering and add only your network devices and see if it comes back in another 24 hours.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to fanofmets21

MVM

to fanofmets21
If you have a device such as a laptop that has both a wired and a wireless connection, the first connection to come up (usually wired) will use the device's host name. The second connection to come up (usually wireless) will appear as "new-host-x".

Check any dual connected devices for the MAC addresses of each interface.
fanofmets21
Seaford, NY

fanofmets21

I don't have any dual connected devices unfortunately.
fanofmets21

fanofmets21 to McBane

to McBane
I will try this just to test. Just hoping not to make it a permanent thing.
BDF
join:2007-12-24

BDF to fanofmets21

to fanofmets21
I chased down two of my unknows on my wireless, one to wireless speaker box and the other is a wireless Blu-Ray player.

Look around for the less obvious.

Bruce

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by BDF:

I chased down two of my unknows on my wireless, one to wireless speaker box and the other is a wireless Blu-Ray player.

Look around for the less obvious.

Bruce

But those are obvious. Any device with WiFi capabilty is an obvious choice.
fanofmets21
Seaford, NY

fanofmets21 to BDF

to BDF
Weird thing is you can take first 6 digits of Mac address to find who the vendor is. this will give you a clue at least. This one is private.

Currently gathering all the Mac addresses to turn on filtering.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to fanofmets21

to fanofmets21
The vendor assignments do change over time as new vendors pop up and old ones exhaust their existing space. It may just be a new assignment that isn't in the router's database. What are the first 3 octets?
fanofmets21
Seaford, NY

fanofmets21

F0 4F 7C
dfwguy

2 recommendations

dfwguy

Oh, thought those were the last 3. That is officially designated as PRIVATE, for whatever that's worth, but it looks like Kindle devices use that range.
fanofmets21
Seaford, NY

2 recommendations

fanofmets21

SOB
Kindle...I haven't open my kindle in like a month and just open it to low battery. But Mac Address matches.

I guess it goes online on its own sometimes.
Mystery solved.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

Funny thing is, I think this solves a similar issue for, except it was attached to my guest network for a LONG time, I bet its a damn kindle, I'm gonna check when I get home.

But the MAC also come up "Private" when you search it.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

What site are you using to search for the vendor?
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

said by PJL:

What site are you using to search for the vendor?

Not sure where dfwguy See Profile looked, but if you just search for F0 4F 7C on Google, there are some fairly obvious results that point to it being used for Amazon Kindle devices.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683 to PJL

to PJL
I use this site:

»www.wireshark.org/tools/ ··· kup.html
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

That also lists F0 4F 7C as private.
dfwguy

1 recommendation

dfwguy to PJL

to PJL
IEEE handles the registration, and the official list can be searched at »standards.ieee.org/devel ··· lic.html. I found the Kindle stuff on Google.
fanofmets21
Seaford, NY

fanofmets21

Well most say private. So i went with that thinking it was some unknown device. Who knew it would turn out to be a kindle..weird.

got home and turn on Kindle and it showed up. Wonder why it keeps coming up as new-host and not Kindle or my kindle etc etc. So it seems all my devices in the home are accounted for on the client list.

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

rollinraver to fanofmets21

to fanofmets21
Im thinking the router is picking up the electric meter. Most of those are wireless now in that they just drive down the street to read them, no more walking around collecting meter readings.... This would also explain why it's "private"
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by rollinraver:

Im thinking the router is picking up the electric meter. Most of those are wireless now in that they just drive down the street to read them, no more walking around collecting meter readings.... This would also explain why it's "private"

If a consumer WiFi network is "picking up" a device then that network would need to have wide-open security. Only after a device has authenticated and been given an IP address will it appear as part of the network. Most utility meters use the cell system or a specific private network for reporting data. They would not "try" to access a home network.
PJL

PJL to fanofmets21

to fanofmets21
said by fanofmets21:

Well most say private. So i went with that thinking it was some unknown device. Who knew it would turn out to be a kindle..weird.

got home and turn on Kindle and it showed up. Wonder why it keeps coming up as new-host and not Kindle or my kindle etc etc. So it seems all my devices in the home are accounted for on the client list.

It keeps coming up as "new host" because Android devices do not properly report their machine network name when initiating a WiFi connection request so the router names them as "new host" rather than the name. Once added to the router's routing table you can change the name of the device associated with the MAC address by renaming it in the My Network screen. Then each time the device with that MAC address connects it will be shown with that renamed device name.
fanofmets21
Seaford, NY

fanofmets21

Thanks for the info. Renamed it last night.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL
said by PJL:

It keeps coming up as "new host" because Android devices do not properly report their machine network name when initiating a WiFi connection request...

I don't think the OP is talking about a Kindle Fire, he said he hadn't used it in a month and it was just on low battery, not long dead. This is not to say your description of the issue is not accurate, only the part about it being Android is. The small OS OP's Kindle is using likely has the exact same issue as Android.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by gadgetboyj:

said by PJL:

It keeps coming up as "new host" because Android devices do not properly report their machine network name when initiating a WiFi connection request...

I don't think the OP is talking about a Kindle Fire, he said he hadn't used it in a month and it was just on low battery, not long dead. This is not to say your description of the issue is not accurate, only the part about it being Android is. The small OS OP's Kindle is using likely has the exact same issue as Android.

The Kindle uses a customized version of Android.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
Staten Island, NY

1 recommendation

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

The Kindle Fire tablets, yes, the regular e-ink Amazon Kindle e-readers use a very light fork of Linux.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by gadgetboyj:

The Kindle Fire tablets, yes, the regular e-ink Amazon Kindle e-readers use a very light fork of Linux.

Let's ask the OP then: OP, what version of the Kindle are you using?