Now I'm really pissed.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Wow. I first saw the length on that, and thought....hmm....will check that out later.

Glad I did. Really fascinating talk. I think everyone in the Windows 10 threads ought to give it a watch.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Haven't had time to watch but I'm assuming it's all about how scattered bits of data, each possibly perfectly innocent on its own, add up to a frighteningly complete profile of someone. And certain companies are perfectly positioned to gather up those data points, collate them and correlate them all into clear pictures of their users.

Google knows more about you than you. I only use this pseudonym on this forum. Yet I have no doubt that even though I as an individual could not google-fu "sivran" into "My Real Name", Google itself could. It wouldn't even be difficult. They'd have the easiest time of it, out of all the entities I can think of with the resources to try.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Thanks Cartel. Will locate rose tinted glasses and view in the morning. Fear I may be awake with nightmares if I watch just before tucking in.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to sivran

to sivran
My old nick use to get pre approved cc postal spam from legit cc companies. Was tempted to fill one oit a few times lol. I had a po box for freebies I found online. When junk mail got to bad I judt changed boxes.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
While I can watch the video, are there any slides that I can look at instead?

Thank you

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 recommendation

Cartel

Premium Member

I really couldn't tell you.
I suppose the speakers site or something?

»www.pallorium.com/
His site isn't even https though

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

1 recommendation

Napsterbater to Cartel

MVM

to Cartel
Ok I'm not saying everything he say is BS or anything, but him talking about Finding the girl via an IP from the WiFi at about 59:40.. Raise some red flags for me, as well as a few other places in the video.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

unless he has access to her isp hes full of crap.
with ip + full access to the isp you could find the exact address. with out the isp records forget it. youll get very inaccurate geo-location only.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 recommendation

chrisretusn to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Love the introduction "Jaw dropping and fear mongering" pretty much sums it up for me.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

2 recommendations

justin to Cartel

Mod

to Cartel
"cellphones tell me everything" (said by an investigator).

This speech is filled with sweeping statements like this:

"I can identify 95% of the people walking into a high crime location"

"I can identify 95% of the people attending a demonstration".

Sorry, That is all BS.

He pieces together these sweeping statements from a huge mixture of little "scary" examples.

It is true that if you use social media, and you have not set your privacy settings you are giving away lots of information but mostly twitter is the culprit for geo-tagged information. If you are *at* a demo and you post to Facebook, then yeah you've just volunteered that information, But if you don't, he doesn't know you were there unless he leans on the telco to get cell tower records for your phone number. Which means he has to know the phone number, and he has to have a good reason to obtain that info as well.

Tweet Tweet Tweet -- he keeps coming back to that because tweets optionally contain geo tagging data and are public. However other services that log and track do not just turn over information to a private eye nor put it into their public API. I use google maps and apple maps. How does this help him follow me around, exactly?

I stopped at the 1 hour point because it was getting too annoying. There might be other stuff in there that is surprising but I doubt it. He is in the business of selling fear and loathing.

There are PLENTY of issues with constant social media and constant sharing, no doubt about it. But it depends on what you decide to use and how you decide to use it.

(It would be nice if by default social media fuzzed the TIME of a post, and by default they did not include location information too. I think that makes things harder for stalkers, because right now if you see someone taking pictures of their food in a restaurant you can within 10 minutes pull up all their social media profiles and read anything they made public).
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned)

lol id use mock mock location and screw with his head heh
like my geo tag from russia to bad im in ohio usa ....

Can a person find out where some one is based on ip? yes if they have access to isp records by legal means or hacking. me i use twitter only i don't post picks at all etc. I only have it to give some youtubers some extra income same for audble amazon newegg etc. i also talk with a hand full of fave tv stars from the likes of far scape lol beyond that twitter is pontless to me.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

2 recommendations

justin

Mod

believe me if there was a reliable way to map IP address to location I'd be using in the speed test to make a nice map of speeds and locations (fuzzed of course).

But there isn't.

The best geo-locations get the country right. You might also get the city right, although that depends a lot on how fixed the IP is. For example one associated with a business. Often the IP "looks up" to the city where the ISP has its head office.

ISPs obviously have huge pools of IPs they allocate and re-allocate to their customers and given a demand in the form of a UTC time stamp and IP address and the right legal paperwork can cough up to police a subscriber (or a cellphone identifier if it is mobile).

google has their huge map of Wifi access point names and locations and use that heavily, if you enable location services, to turn an IP address into a pin on a map by triangulation. But that is google, and that is if you let your app or browser use the interface, and if you have wifi on.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned)

yep. now at one point twc did a really lame thing host mask gave something like this
ip-ip-ip-ip.bar-oh-hmtwn-jhnsn.neo.rr.com
break down and i dont live no where near there now soooo
barberton ohio hamtown and johnson rd. that location was sub 1/8 mile from my house!

also bad was the fact there were only maybe 18 people on twc served by that box/stump

I called them and complained a month later they removed all that crap lol.

There was a legitimate danger and privacy threat with that.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

that's completely true and dynamic IPs aside sometimes ISPs are a little too enthusiastic with their naming of routers as well so you can do a traceroute and sometimes get an idea of the town.
But it is a manual process and I'm very sure nobody is doing it systematically mainly because the names are always shortened to hell and difficult for a computer to map to a place without a lot of guesswork.
And anything not done systematically now is much less risky than stuff that is purposefully computer readable.
Merlin235
join:2014-10-14
USA

Merlin235

Your position can be determined with reasonably accuracy by determining the SSID of the wireless AP you are connected to.

Google and others have mapped millions of APs.

Read the Wikipedia article for all the details.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi ··· g_system

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

»wigle.net/map?maplat=-33 ··· 00-00000
You guys obviously didn't see this.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by Cartel:

»wigle.net/map?maplat=-33 ··· 00-00000
You guys obviously didn't see this.

I believe we are all well aware of that, but that doesn't log IPs like he mentioned, only B/SSIDs. So you cant have an IP and figure out a location without the ISPs records.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to Cartel

to Cartel
They have to have a ruff iea of where you are to even begin to make use of that sort of thing. even then i don't need to look to know there's 100s of linksys motorola tp link etc on those sites. No access to ip records and it is all a big nonstarter.
Merlin235
join:2014-10-14
USA

Merlin235

Take a tablet with no GPS or GSM chip and install a mapping app. Connect to WiFi then ask the tablet where you are on a map. Will locate you within a couple of hundred yards.

If you send an e-mail look at the entire header of a message. It will show what BSID you are connecting through. Cross reference with the data base and you have a location.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

Napsterbater

MVM

said by Merlin235:

If you send an e-mail look at the entire header of a message. It will show what BSID you are connecting through. Cross reference with the data base and you have a location.

What e-mail app includes the BSSID in the header?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to Merlin235

Mod

to Merlin235
said by Merlin235:

umm
Even if a mail app shows what wifi name you are connecting through (and if it does, it is broken) the NAME doesn't map to your location. The wifi triangulation is using more than one name AND their MAC data. This is stuff google collects as it drives around (which increasingly looks to be a shitty thing to have done).
People have all kinds of generic names for their wifi hotspots so a name like NETGEAR gets you nowhere.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

Napsterbater

MVM

It not the SSID they use, it's the BSSID/MAC of the AP, since the SSID can be changed easily and can be duplicated (just because its user selectable.

And it's not just the Street view cars, Android phones contribute to Google's database, as i'm sure iPhones contribute to Apples (or an apple partner).

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

sure but none of this is exposed in mail headers.

Regarding Apple, if you enable Location Services (which is a question when you upgrade) then
quote:
If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers to Apple to augment Apple's crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations. If you're traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information to Apple to be used for building up Apple's crowd-sourced road-traffic database. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple is anonymous and encrypted. It doesn't personally identify you.
I place some faith in the last two sentences: while using location services is improving the databases they keep, and improving their road traffic stuff, after the info has left my phone it is anonymous: if I'm reading this right, even apple cannot go back and say where one of their customers was by using this particular bit of information they have mixed into their databases. And certainly Joe Private Eye cannot (unless he gets his hands on an unlocked phone).

With apps, location services are enabled app by app. All bets are off if you enable location services for google maps, for instance, or foursquare.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

... it's all about how scattered bits of data, each possibly perfectly innocent on its own, add up to a frighteningly complete profile of someone.

Using open source public data to reveal classified information is a well established and proven method of gathering intelligence, whether in local law enforcement, three letter agencies, foreign governments or stateless actors.

DonoftheDead
Old diver
Premium Member
join:2004-07-12
Clinton, WA

DonoftheDead to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
What makes me mad is the collusion between the corporations and the government. The video is over the top and there is some FUD in there, but what he said about the Feds is true. If want they you, they will get you. Whether you've done anything or not. They will label you a criminal, a terrorist , pedophile, or whatever so that everyone disowns you. Once they separate you from the herd they can have their way with you. And they will. Another thing I find repugnant is FaceBook and others creating profiles on people whether they have an account or not. Most of the stuff on FaceBook people say about others is gossip. If you're going to build a profile on me, at least use the truth. And all for money and power. How pathetic. I'm not worried for myself. I know the criminal justice very well and how to deal with it. Not breaking the law helps a lot, but just stepping on the wrong toes can be disastrous. Just my my 2 bits worth.
Xidus
join:1999-11-13

1 recommendation

Xidus to Cartel

to Cartel
Reminds me of this recent article about how freemium apps collect large amounts of data on its users and sell off that data, which is then combined with other sources and collected into huge databases, then access sold to anyone.

»toucharcade.com/2015/09/ ··· roducer/