Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

3 recommendations

DocDrew to unimorpheus

Premium Member

to unimorpheus

Re: [HSI] Charter Cable WAN DHCP issues

Charter DHCP servers don't like being hit with multiple DHCP requests from a client too quickly and some router firmwares do that. They will start ignoring requests...

I had to put "--retries=2 --timeout=5 --tryagain=3" under my DHCP WAN client (BusyBox UDHCPC) options in my router. I use Tomato, but DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and Netgear fimware use the same DHCP client. This problem goes back several years.

unimorpheus
join:2002-02-14
Riverside, CA

2 recommendations

unimorpheus

Well had the Charter tech out yesterday evening and the line tested out fine. He did replace the attenuator on the line prior to the test. We looked at the modem which tested fine as it should since it is brand new. After all of the hardware tested fine I realized the only variable left was dd-wrt. I remember upgrading the firmware to the lasted build for a wndr4500v1 shortly before the problem. Decided to dump the router firmware and do a clean install and config with the version prior. I can't say for sure but so far so good. The router has been up for 6:10 as of this writing. I am starting to believe I had some corruption in the NVRAM of the router that was stored in my config backup files. This time I rebuilt the config by hand and only changed what I absolutely need to be configured. I will incrementally bring features online until I get to a breaking point but at least it stayed up long enough for me to get my homework done.
unimorpheus

unimorpheus

On a side note I am really contemplating returning the R8000. I would rather have 3 used 4500s over that party platter of a router. I am sure it is very high speed but who is designing these router cases, a twelve year old? Why do they all have to look like space ships or the F-117. R8000 takes up the entire shelf leaving me with no space for modem, hard drive and Roku box. You can't sit the thing on any side as it doesn't have any right angles and if you wall mount it the indicator labels will be upside down, not that you can see them anyway as the are extremely small, lightly printed and totally obscured by the laser diodes they used for indicators. What ever happened to usability. I can see the condition of my 4500 from across the room. I cant make heads or tails out of the R8000 with my face right up on it. Come on Netgear make some advanced routers for grownups.
unimorpheus

unimorpheus

Well one year later and again out of no where WAN DHCP issues. Been working fine for a year then late last night can't pull a WAN address from the modem. This is all new gear since the last episode so Charter has to be doing something. Tech said my modem needed to be reprovisioned and it has not worked since.
unimorpheus

unimorpheus

Wan connection back up but I am back to getting 1 hour WAN ip leases again. Charter does something on their end that really confuses DD-WRT. Cycled between WAN configuration options and then re-selected WAN DHCP and was able to pull an address.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

4 recommendations

aguen

Premium Member

said by unimorpheus:

Wan connection back up but I am back to getting 1 hour WAN ip leases again

Two possibilities, you're either hammering the local DHCP server beyond it's ability, or, perhaps your local area has a current shortage of available public IP addresses.
reader50
join:2003-01-23
California

1 recommendation

reader50

said by aguen:

or, perhaps your local area has a current shortage of available public IP addresses.

This is an interesting possibility. Assuming unimorpheus is using IPv4, the address supply is drying up. The local area may have outgrown its assigned pool as new customers sign up. The Charter router upstream may be handing out short leases to compensate. In the DSL days, this strategy would work. People would frequently disconnect, freeing up their address. Today it won't do much because everyone stays connected 24/7.

Can you switch to IPv6 for a time, see how the leases look?

unimorpheus
Riverside, CA

unimorpheus to aguen

to aguen
The hammering should not be as issue as the router is the only device requesting WAN DHCP service. As far as address outage it may be possible but strange that it would only appear mid December. Had this exact same problem this time last year and at that time upgraded the modem, router and switch. Rock solid for a year. Last years incident did uncover some issues with the routers I am using in that they are incapable of supporting any of their added features such as ip printing, NAS or fully populated switch backplane. I have found that the router is 10 time more stable if used as just a router, one WAN connection and one LAN connection to an external switch. Power supplies on Netgear consumer grade routers are very poorly implemented.
unimorpheus

unimorpheus to reader50

to reader50
said by reader50:

I will give it a shot.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater to reader50

MVM

to reader50
said by reader50:

There is no "Switching to IPV6" at the time, you can't really use IPv6 without also using IPv4 right now, atleast without losing access to most of the internet.

unimorpheus
Riverside, CA

unimorpheus

said by Napsterbater:

said by reader50:

There is no "Switching to IPV6" at the time, you can't really use IPv6 without also using IPv4 right now, atleast without losing access to most of the internet.

Test your IPv6 connectivity:

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:9d38:6abd:38bb:xxx:xxxx:xxxx
Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be CHARTER-NET-HKY-NC - Charter Communications, US

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway. Your particular teredo configuration is only used as a protocol of last resort. When visiting a site with both IPv4 and IPv6, IPv4 will be preferred.

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Yes, It looks like I cannot force IPv6 on the WAN even if I ask for it. Looks like the Wan leases are back up to 5+ hours as well.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

It says you are using teredo, that is not even supplied by charter.

If you want IPv6 Id say setup your router for 6rd, otherwise just disable teredo is not really that useful, or necessarily stable.
swbrains
join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains to reader50

to reader50
Interesting. I lost my internet yesterday morning and called into support but they could not get it running. They said there was no known outage in my area.

I reset my modem and router several times, and the modem status page said it was connected and operational and the router said it had an internet connection, but no IP address (0.0.0.0). Tech support said they'd send a tech out later that evening but by 4 pm, it just came back by itself. After reading this, I'm wondering if there was a local outage, or if it was simply unable to renew my IP lease at that time and later in the day it was able to find a free IP. Scary if that's really the case and it's going to be a recurrent problem given the lack of free IPv4 addresses.

unimorpheus
Riverside, CA

unimorpheus

Well one year later and again out of no where WAN DHCP issues. Been working fine for a year then late last night can't pull a WAN address from the modem. This is all new gear since the last episode so Charter has to be doing something. Tech said my modem needed to be reprovisioned and it has not worked since.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to unimorpheus

to unimorpheus
said by unimorpheus:

The hammering should not be as issue as the router is the only device requesting WAN DHCP service.

Yes, it can be. I've had multiple ASUS routers over the last few years and noticed, by default, they have WAN DHCP set to "aggressive." If not set to "normal", Charter's DHCP server will temporarily ignore DHCP requests from the router.
defiant

defiant to unimorpheus

to unimorpheus
said by unimorpheus:

Been working fine for a year then late last night can't pull a WAN address from the modem.

Your router is not getting the WAN IP address from the modem...

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Charter DHCP servers don't like being hit with multiple DHCP requests from a client too quickly and some router firmwares do that. They will start ignoring requests...

I had to put "--retries=2 --timeout=5 --tryagain=3" under my DHCP WAN client (BusyBox UDHCPC) options in my router. I use Tomato, but DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and Netgear fimware use the same DHCP client. This problem goes back several years.

When you entered that at Advanced -> DHCP/DNS. Into the field called DHCPC Options, did you type it in exactly like that or without the quotes?

Thank you

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Exactly like that without quotes into the DHCPC Options box.

unimorpheus
Riverside, CA

unimorpheus

Good info, I will look into this for reliability insurance.