Premium Member
join:2001-09-22
Leesburg, GA

2 edits

NeoGeo64

Premium Member

Problems with Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon + AMD Drivers & Other Issues

Click for full size
I have a few minor gripes with Linux Mint 17.3.

1) When I installed the AMD drivers I am no longer able to access the CTRL+ALT+Fn virtual terminals. I was able to access the terminals with Xorg drivers installed. When I do, it is just a black screen. Only the CTRL+ALT+Fn key combo that brings me back to the GUI does what it's supposed to do.

2) I am unable to see the Linux Mint logo upon rebooting. I can see it when I boot up, however when rebooting it is just a black screen. This is a problem no matter if I have AMD drivers for my card installed or the Xorg drivers.

I have been banging my head against my desk for the past days trying to change GRUB around and have all but given up. I don't know what to do. I've tried so many suggestions that b0rked my system that I think I am on my 3rd or 4th fresh install now. It never used to be this way. I don't use the geTTY virtual terminals much (since I use GNOME terminal in the GUI, but it is still nice to have the option).

I have been pouring over Google searches and searches on here with little avail. I am at a loss at this point. If some kind soul can hold my hand and lead me in the right direction and show me what lines to edit or what commands to input (I will be testing all of this in VM first) I will be forever grateful.

For extra info, here is how my GRUB file is configured:

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

Please. Thanks.

And despite all of this, I will never go back to Windows. Just one thing, I changed the default 640x480 but the line isn't used. It's there just for future use (if any). A relic when I was borking around with this file. Which I've done. A lot. I am truly stumped and this is one of those moments that would make a self-confessed Linux convert throw up their hands and reinstall Windows 10. No, not for me.

For effect, I've shown a current screenshot of how everything is going. I also hope everyone is getting into the Christmas spirit!

I have done EVERYTHING that my little knowledge of the deep inner workings of Linux allows me to. I've been told it was a frame buffer issue, also. When I was using Xorg I wouldn't get a Linux Mint splash logo upon boot, but upon shutdown I would. When I installed the AMD drivers I got the Mint splash when booting but not when rebooting or shutting down.

One more curious thing, I am able to 'blind type' on the geTTY virtual terminals, meaning I can type as if there was test there and even run a reboot command. I just cannot see text. So that would mean the geTTY virtual terminals are working but text is not showing for one reason or another. Again, on the free Xorg drivers I was able to see but on the propritary AMD drivers I can't. But, since I havethe drivers installed I do get better use of my 3D and I don't use geTTY virtual terminals all that much but I would like access to them if I need them.

I would also like the Linux Mint splash logo upon reboot and start-up.

Also, Skype has an issue. I'm not sure if this is related to the AMD drivers or not. When someone on Skype calls, you know how you get that Accept/Deny pop-up? Well, I get that but the only way to get rid of it is to hit the X on the popup which closes out the video but not the call. I have to pause the call and unpause it to bring it back up. That is another issue I'm having.

I think that about covers it. 17.2 was so nice. 17.3 is a nightmare but I am hopeful that these things can be fixed.

I know this post is a bit overwhelming but ANY help is appreciated. Thanks and have great one!

~ Neo

Pjr
Don't Panic
join:2005-12-11
UK

3 edits

Pjr

I had the same problem after installing the catalyst drivers.

IIRC I only edited /etc/modules to include the line.

uvesafb

and commented out the line that says

radeon

I haven't changed /etc/default/grub.

I think the uvesafb module should already be on your system.
sudo modinfo uvesafb
will tell you if it isn't.

Edit:
How did you edit GRUB? The correct* way is to do this...
sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bkp
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

If you edited /boot/grub/grub.cfg then
sudo update-grub

will replace the current /boot/grub/grub.cfg with a copy of the one in /etc/default

Edit2:
I've just found that I also created the file /etc/modprobe.d/uvesafb.conf

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/uvesafb.conf

I put

options uvesafb mode_option=1440x900-32 scroll=ywrap

in it. Hmmm, should that really be a hyphen in the mode_option or did I make a mistake? It appears to work anyway.

Sorry for this rambling post but I really ought to have made notes for the future.

* Well, there are also files in /etc/grub.d/ which are also used to create /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

NeoGeo64
Premium Member
Leesburg, GA

NeoGeo64

Premium Member

I will look into that. Also, looking for more replies! Cinnamon 2.8 seems buggy and incompatible with today's programs like Skype and others (I'm sure).

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to NeoGeo64

Premium Member

to NeoGeo64
It has been my experience that ATI/AMD drivers suck horribly; I avoid them and only use Nvidia now. My laptop has a ATI card (can't change it) and runs Fedora, and it also has the <ctrl>-<alt>-Fx issue. I think it's due to the driver putting the card into a graphics mode and not releasing it. Ditto with the shutdown/reboot logo. AFAIK the only fix is switching to Nvidia or putting up with the slow open source drivers.

NeoGeo64
Premium Member
Leesburg, GA

NeoGeo64

Premium Member

So what would be the best Linux Mint friendly card to switch to that will allow splash screens and the CTRL ALT Fx issue to be a non-issue?
NeoGeo64

NeoGeo64

Premium Member

I think mackey is correct. I am looking to upgrade my video card but I want to buy the most Linux friendly video card that will work with proprietary drivers and the splash screens and geTTY virtual terminals. But I want something up to date and modern and price isn't so much an issue as compatibility. I am currently running a Dell XPS 8700 from 2013. I can give further tech specs if needed for a recommendation.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to NeoGeo64

Premium Member

to NeoGeo64
Even if you have a nvidia card expect plymouth(splash screen) to not work. The boot isn't long enough to care about a black screen, but this site claimed to have some kind of fix which I haven't bothered with.
»community.linuxmint.com/ ··· iew/1149

If you have an intel processor use the onboard gpu.

I have a nvidia card, and I use the proprietary drivers since the open source drivers work so poorly.

NeoGeo64
Premium Member
Leesburg, GA

NeoGeo64

Premium Member

If the splash screen isn't to be cared about why do the developers even include it? I want my splash screens, virtual terminals and everything else to work. I don't mind working with the terminal and text files.

When I use the CTRL ALT Fn screens I am able to 'log in' and run commands (for example, sudo reboot, password) but I can't see text. So they are functional but the text is black. Perhaps if there was a way to change the text color of geTTY? Right now it seems to be black on black instead of white text on a black background.

I'm not giving up because I want to learn. Linux is all about learning and I'm not going to give up.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
I switched to AMD about two years ago and I haven't noticed this. My experience is that both driver manufacturers release flawed drivers and that Distros that have Monolithic release cycles (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) ofter break the driver upon release require either a re-install or waiting until the next driver release comes along.

I assumed a while back the Nvidia really was the card for Linux until a fresh release broke everything horribly.

The only relief I found was from a random blog entry by Rick Falkvinge who'd encountered the same problem.

@OP I'm currently running Mint 17.3 with an AMD driver which carried over from 17.2 without issue.

I'll dig up the process I used to get it working, I think I installed via PPA, which made it easier than downloading the driver.

Secondly, although I'm running Mint ATM, I came from a Manjaro install and I wanted to give Mint another go after installing Windows 10, Manjaro is an Arch derivative and has a lot of good driver support out of the box AMD included. I just find XFCE to be a little sparse and that's their officially supported DE (that and Open Box)

I'll repost when I find the PPA for AMD GPUs

mackey
Premium Member

1 edit

mackey

Premium Member

I'm not talking about driver breakage during upgrades, I'm talking about "working normally" usability. In my ~5 yr old laptop with AMD graphics, until Fedora 20 it was almost unusable. Programs that had certain GUI elements (like Audacity) would color in an element (such as drawing a waveform on a graph), but never clear it when moving. This soon turned the whole window a solid color and useless. With the new drivers in F20 that particular problem is gone, however it still has horrendous tearing problems which while not that big of a deal when moving windows around are painfully obvious while watching video.

At this point Nvidia cards have been rock solid for me, they have had working/usable Linux drivers a *lot* longer then AMD/ATI, and even the new AMD drivers have issues with my hardware, so I will continue to only use and recommend Nvidia hardware. If, as you say, both companies have issues with breakage during upgrade (which I have not personally experienced myself), why would I go with the one that also has crappy "working normally" performance/user experience?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by mackey:

I'm not talking about driver breakage during upgrades, I'm talking about "working normally" usability.

I'm fully aware of what you're talking about.
said by mackey:

In my ~5 yr old laptop with AMD graphics, until Fedora 20 it was almost unusable.

In all fairness the Nvidia/Intel hybrid solution for laptops was lacking for a long time as well. A quick google search seems to indicate the Nvidia is *finally* supporting these on Linux 5+ years after the product has come out.

As far as I know OP is using a Desktop PC and as such Catalyst (or the open source driver) should be equivalent to whatever Nvidia is providing these days.

EQ

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

As far as I know OP is using a Desktop PC and as such Catalyst (or the open source driver) should be equivalent to whatever Nvidia is providing these days.

In theory yes, however in practice AMD/ATI is still crap when put next to Nvidia. Even after being "supported" for 5+ years AMD still can't do tear-free right, support RandR, or switch between graphical and console mode. No problems with any of that on Nvidia.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I don't use RandR and most of my AMD experience with Linux has taken place under Manjaro, but I can confirm it's both tear free, and switching between console and graphics mode poses no issue.

There some annoyances with AMD that I have noticed, but nothing deal breaking.

Such as: If you switch GPUs without reinstalling Linux, the Grub display goes to shit, and that even includes moving from one AMD GPU to another. (in my case a 290x to a Fury X)

Other than that it's been pretty smooth sailing, even to my surprise, because I was expecting much worse coming from an Nvidia setup.

EQ

Pjr
Don't Panic
join:2005-12-11
UK

Pjr to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

Even after being "supported" for 5+ years AMD still can't do tear-free right, support RandR, or switch between graphical and console mode. No problems with any of that on Nvidia.

I have a Radeon HD7480D card and use Catalyst.
I enabled the uvesafb module to solve the problem in the OP. See my first post in this thread.
I use randr to change resolution to play an old game that needs to be set at 1024x768 for full screen.
Very rarely do I see tearing in videos.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
Confirmed:

CTRL+ALT+F2 enables the console CTRL+ALT+F8 enables the GUI seems pretty seemless to me...

My only issue was that the online instructions indicted it should be F7, but for some reason F7 gives me the SABnzbd+ deamon instead.

Looks good to me.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

So, 8+ years after Nvidia, AMD finally has usable drivers for some cards. That's good to know.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

When is the last time you used an AMD card on Linux?

There are users here, who've been using AMD cards on Ubuntu since it launched and have had no issues, I was under the impression when I started using Linux that I was pretty much married to Nvidia for the same reasons you're stating now, but that seems to be a widely accepted myth in the Linux community.

I also know that AMD/ATI were more OSS friendly than Nvidia, and there are much better open source alternatives for AMD/ATI than there ever were for Nvidia.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

A few hours ago, why?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by mackey:

said by El Quintron:

A few hours ago, why?

I'd assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that you'd had those kinds of issues in the past, because I haven't had any Linux/AMD gpu issues going on 2-3 years of using one.