spc
Search similar:

uniqs
efrem
join:2002-04-03
Westport, CT

efrem

[Optimum Voice] port telephone AWAY from Optimum

If I port my telephone number away from Optimum, will Optimum cleanly release the number without trying to impose any fees or limits?

I know they "SHOULD" do that but am just wondering if anybody has encountered any issues or surprises.

Thanks
cowbawx
join:2002-03-04
Lawrence, NY

3 recommendations

cowbawx

You must call the other company to initiate the port out process. Once it has been completed, the Optimum Voice service will be disconnected on Cablevision's end but NOT the rest of your services -- you still need to cancel those, BUT NOT BEFORE YOU TRANSFER THE PHONE SERVICE! Cancelling your service (even if you say not Optimum Voice - they can screw it up!) will result in you losing your # and having to call them to "cancel the cancel". Hope that helps.

I am not aware of any fees to port out.
efrem
Westport, CT

efrem

said by cowbawx:

I am not aware of any fees to port out.

Thanks. The process and the importance of the sequence of the steps I already know, and the above snippet is the only part I wanted to confirm. Appreciated!
teedee
join:2007-02-11
Warwick, NY

3 recommendations

teedee to efrem

to efrem
I ported my number from Optimum to OOMA last February.
Start to finish was 3 business days, I never had to contact Cablevision, There were NO fees, issues or surprises.
efrem
Westport, CT

efrem

Thanks for the additional confirmation!
oolcableusr
join:2010-02-17
Centereach, NY

4 recommendations

oolcableusr

I ported one OV phone # to Ooma a few years back and 14 months ago ported another OV number to OBI... both without any issues on the Optimum end.

FWIW- both Ooma and OBI are more reliable than the OV service I had.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel to efrem

to efrem
My number is in the process of being ported right now. It is supposed to be done tomorrow. I switched to Basic Talk. I did it all online and I will not contact cablevision unless there is a problem w/ my bill. I only have internet now with optimum.
nas769
join:2005-11-25
Toms River, NJ

nas769 to efrem

to efrem
I am trying to port my Optimum Voice number to T-Mobile. I gave them my account number, but they are also asking for a numerical PIN. I gave them my Optimum ID, but that contains letters and numbers. What is the PIN that they are talking about? Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks.
NewWorld
join:2016-03-23
Parsippany, NJ

7 recommendations

NewWorld

I just did this 2 weeks ago. Ported my Optimum number to T-mobile and it was lots of pain from both company.

Here are few things you MUST make sure when you request port from Optimum to t-mobile.

1.) When t-mobile ask for your account number with Optimum, Give them only First 13 numbers of your account number. Don't give them Last number which is at the end of account.
I gave tmobile 14 digit account number to port and Port was keep rejecting right away. Call this number 877-207-8169 at tmobile port in service after 30 minutes of putting your request to port number and ask them if they receive confirmation from Optimum about release of number.
When i gave tmobile full account number for optimum, it was keep rejecting. So we called cablevision about it and they told us, we must put only first 13 digits in account number when we request port in.

2.) Tell tmobile there is NO PIN on account and they must Leave Pin field Blank. If they put anything in PIN field then Optimum will reject the port in request. (I got this information from optimum port in department too.)

3.) When you request port in as above, Call tmoblie 877-207-8169 after 30 minutes of requesting port in and they should have confirmation from Optimum about when they will release the number with date and time. it took me 3 days.

You can call this number 877-207-8169 at t-mobile to request your port in. It is their direct number.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

1 recommendation

FallenAnjel to efrem

to efrem
I want to add here that when you port your number from optimum to another company, make sure after your number is successifully transferred you call optimum and cancel the phone service. I did not do that and I was still being charged. (oops!). Optimum promptly credited me with no problems. (I also did all the math before I called so I knew what I was supposed to be getting back).

OptimumHelp
join:2001-04-04
Bethpage, NY

OptimumHelp to efrem

to efrem
Hello efrem. You can port out anytime as long as your account is active and in good standing. Please make sure that the porting account has the same name and address. Otherwise, you are clear.^AL
specialp
Premium Member
join:2008-07-13

1 recommendation

specialp to NewWorld

Premium Member

to NewWorld
This is absolutely right. Sorry for bumping an old thread but I searched google and got this, and want to help others. The T-mobile porting department consists of people overseas that do not speak very good English so make sure:

1. The account number does not have the last digit.
2. The pin number is BLANK. (They will try to do something like "0000" which will lead to rejection)

And Additionally
3: If it is a prepaid SIM please assure that they actually have your name and address in the request. They are used to porting one prepaid to another and have a lot of problems figuring this out. If not told to they will send your request with no name or address resulting in rejection.

So be persistent on the phone and verify with them that they have the right acct number, empty PIN and your name and address like on your Cablevision bill.
brdma
join:2017-04-13
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

brdma

I just want to chime in and point out that the above information is still accurate.

1. Exclude the last digit from your account number, so it should be 13 numbers long.
2. PIN is blank. You need to double down on insisting that it must be blank. They have something on their screen which says the PIN must have a value, but you need to be persistent with them.
3. Make sure you force them to include your full home address in the port. I had to be persistent to make sure they did this.

Yossi
@optonline.net

Yossi to NewWorld

Anon

to NewWorld
when giving the 13 digit account number are you giving them number's only or the numbers with the dashes?

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

2 recommendations

Tursiops_G

MVM

Numbers ONLY (no dashes), and give ONLY the 1st 13 digits (leave OFF the trailing digit 0, 1, etc.)
LeafRanger
join:2018-02-12
Bronx, NY

4 edits

LeafRanger to NewWorld

to NewWorld
I just tried to port my number and it's having an issue. I insisted that they leave the pin field blank, but the rep showed me the screen and the submit button was disabled until something was entered, I asked if they could fill it with spaces and it not allow submission until digits were entered. I entered the first 13 digits of the account number like you said.

UPDATE: Tmobile confirmed that they sent the application over without a pin and it's still being rejected. I'm basically caught in a loop, where if I send a pin it gets rejected, if I don't send a pin it gets rejected.

UPDATE 2: I spoke to Optimum as a carrier and I actually got in contact with the person the rep spoke to, so it's something wrong with T-Mobile's porting department, they do not know how to send out applications without a pin or their system automatically fills in the numbers even if you tell them not to i don't knwo, but it is true that the account does not have a pin
LeafRanger

3 edits

3 recommendations

LeafRanger to efrem

to efrem
Here's my suggestion:

Don't try to port your Optimum voice number to Tmobile, they are not able to send the request without a pin, you might get lucky, but trust me I spoke to 7 reps and it got rejected every time I tried in-store but it all goes to the same place, so don't count on it. Instead, try with AT&T -they seem like they know how to deal with porting landlines to wireless much better than Tmobile. This may or may not cost you money, in total, this cost me $85 (20 was wasted trying to port to Tmobile, 30 for a prepaid AT&T phone, 35 to activate prepaid plan), so you may need roughly 30 - 60 just to get your OV to a mobile number. If you have already an AT&T phone or can borrow one might only need to pay for the SIM and or service activation only.

Steps:

1. Obtain your Optimum Account number: Do not include the last digit (there are 14 digits in total, give them the first 13 digits)

2. The Optimum pin is BLANK, remember this

3. Look for the cheapest AT&T prepaid phone (formerly GoPhone), they're usually available for in-store pickup at Best Buy

4. Bring the phone to AT&T, as far as I know, the SIM card is free and they'll set it up for you if you BYOD -no need to buy the SIM kit (pick the cheapest prepaid plan ATM it's:$35).

5. Give them the Optimum Account number and billing address, tell them there's no pin, if they're able to send it without a pin and it's confirmed by Optimum then you don't have to follow the rest of this, if they're not able to submit the form without a pin just give them a random 4 digit pin.After it's set up you might be able to make outbound calls with the number, but inbound won't work.

6. If you gave them a pin you'll probably receive a text telling you to go to ATT.com/port asking you to correct the pin and password, there's no way to submit a blank password on that site, so you could probably just ignore that and proceed to the next step.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
NOTE: If you already set a pin on your new prepaid AT&T account, you can ignore this note and proceed to step 7, if you did not set a pin on your new prepaid AT&T account you should call AT&T customer service and tell them you want to set a pin on your AT&T account and that you want to know the full account number -take note of these, especially the pin because the AT&T porting department rep will ask for that pin. And you'll need the account number and pin if you decide to port to another carrier i.e VOIP. After you do this continue to step 7 like normal
----------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Call AT&T porting department directly (888 898 7685), go through the automated menu options and give the bot the info it wants, when you get to the part where it asks if there are letters and numbers etc, just pick the second menu option since that's what I picked. either one might work, it will tell you to enter a pin, DO NOT SAY or ENTER ANYTHING, just wait and it should forward you to a live support rep.

8. Speak to the rep (At some point they may ask for a pin; ask them if they're talking about the pin to your AT&T account, if so, give them the pin you set up for your AT&T account, (see the note above if you don't know what I'm talking about) and have them call this number 516 803 6020 to verify the name and bill address is correct and to ask about the pin, the Optimum rep should tell them to send the request without a pin.

9. Finish up and thank the AT&T rep, fill out the survey if you want (it helps them out) and check the number at ATT.com/port, at some point, it should go from in progress to confirmed. Good luck

UPDATE: I contacted AT&T at 10 AM and received a port completion text at 12 AM it took roughly 15 hours, I can now transfer the number to Google voice for Obihai.
petem2227
join:2004-06-14
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

petem2227 to NewWorld

to NewWorld
Any ideas on this predicament? I've seemingly achieved the number port from OV to a T-Mobile phone, only I'm not able to receive any calls on the cell phone.

When calling out, however, my OV number shows up on other caller IDs.

That all said, the OV number is still ringing on my house phone. Any idea what my next step would be?
dtv757
join:2008-09-20
Virginia Beach, VA

2 edits

dtv757

Ports from landline can take a few days .

That happens all the time on cell phones when the port is waiting to complete .

Just as u mentioned .

Person wants to keep number but porting it into a cell company they will be able to make calls (outbound) but not receive untill the port is complete.

This even occurs 4 wireless 2 wireless port when there is mismatch info like wrong pin on the port request .

Not sure if TMO does this but usually you get a text on the phone "welcome 2 (cell company) " once port completes . At least that's how it works on VzW

Also if u continue to have issues optimum tech support can call the "port out dept " and they can research the port . Make sure they call port out and NOT LNP.
dtv757

dtv757 to LeafRanger

to LeafRanger
Good idea , my only thought is sometimes port outs on prepaid accounts can be a pain .

A t t might be easier cause it's one of the big 4 wireless companies but the smaller ones (consumer celluar, etc) were a pain to port numbers as some used the phones ESN/IMEI As the account number
LeafRanger
Bronx, NY

LeafRanger to petem2227

to petem2227
That basically means the porting process isn't complete. Based on what the AT&T rep told me, they disable the outbound calling on the cell if the port request hasn't been accepted in 24hrs, but you can have them reactivate it, but the number hasn't transferred until the cell rings when you call the number. IT took AT&T about 12 hours to complete the transfer
LeafRanger

1 recommendation

LeafRanger to dtv757

to dtv757
Yes, the Optimum rep mentioned that some companies don't have much experience in transferring landlines to wireless and they mentioned Verizon might be better suited. I believe optimum might be unusual in the sense that they don't use pins, and they don't really make it clear that the first 13 numbers are the important ones.
dtv757
join:2008-09-20
Virginia Beach, VA

dtv757

Yes that is a curve ball that optimum does not use pins . Cause most other companies including other landline companies (Cox, vz) use pins .
petem2227
join:2004-06-14
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

petem2227 to LeafRanger

to LeafRanger
Talked to Optimum last night and they said that 5 days after the port request from T-Mobile, that it had been canceled. No idea why. Going to try to call Optimum back today to find out why, then call back T-Mobile to hopefully get this going again...
petem2227

petem2227

I am officially in hell. Optimum is telling me I have to call TMobile to get the porting unstuck, and now TMobile doesn't have my info in the system. I've talked to at least 20 people between the two companies and I"m ready to lose it on someone.

Millwood
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Millwood, NY

2 recommendations

Millwood to efrem

Premium Member

to efrem
One more potential hiccup. A friend recently ported out of Optimum and Optimum apparently failed to update their internal phone routing tables - so he could not be called from an Optimum phone! It's fixed now but it took a while after he realized what was happening.

Moral - after you port, ask a friend with an Optimum phone to try to call you.
LeafRanger
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

LeafRanger to petem2227

to petem2227
I don't know what to say, dealing with Tmobile in regards to landline transfers was a nightmare, so I don't have anything reassuring to say about that, at a certain point I was afraid what might happen number ends up in their hands. My last time calling was to make sure it the transfer was rejected. I tried and wasted 4 days.

The AT&T route didn't even take a full day to complete and transferring from AT&T to Google voice for Obihai went smoothly. I don't plan to ever have to go through this again.
LeafRanger

LeafRanger to Millwood

to Millwood
Yeah, I'm not sure if you shared the info in another post, but I definitely saw it in another thread, so I called back to make sure. I also know that someone mentioned that the Voice service was still on their bill so they had to call in to cancel even with their number ported out, in my case voice service was already closed I called to confirmed.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Millwood

to Millwood
said by Millwood:

One more potential hiccup. A friend recently ported out of Optimum and Optimum apparently failed to update their internal phone routing tables - so he could not be called from an Optimum phone! It's fixed now but it took a while after he realized what was happening.

Moral - after you port, ask a friend with an Optimum phone to try to call you.

It would have to be someone from the same phone switch that calls you. Most likely, if you are on a different switch it would update instantly, and if it's an issue it would only be on that local switch.
dj3k
join:2018-03-19

1 recommendation

dj3k to petem2227

to petem2227
THERE IS an optimum pin, if you don't remember it contact Live Chat support on optimum.net and create a new 4 digit pin. No need to call, just contact live chat support on optimum page.

Like other have said you only tell T-Mobile your first 13 digits of your account number. So if your account number is for an ex. (12345-678901-23-4) you only say (12345-678901-23), don't tell them the last digit.

Once again, THERE IS a pin, don't tell them there isn't one or say blank. Give them the 4 digit pin you created after contacting Optimum Live Chat support. »www.optimum.net/support/ ··· age/chat

They will say it will take 3-5 business days. I called in for the request on Thursday the port was completed on Tuesday Morning. So 3 Business days (5 days total).

This is as of March 2018.