uniqs
BellDeferral
join:2015-12-23
Pembroke, ON

1 recommendation

BellDeferral to pierb

to pierb

Re: [Mobile] BELL: Wireless Mobile Internet: Question for users

Ladysmith is close to a Bell Deferral community called Otter Lake. If you are in the right DSA, this would mean the following:

- You are entitled to 5/1 service through fibre, DSL, or Wireless
- With wireless you would be entitled to rates that are almost comparable to DSL (5/1 - $60 - 100 gigs cap - $4.00 a gig overage). The plan is called "Bell Wireless 5".

Otter Lake DSA's SHOULD have been indicated in the attached map that Bell submitted to the Commission. However, I will note that Bell did alot of shady crap WRT the Bell Deferral Accounts rollout. I won't get into the details here, however you can check out my other topics on the Bell Deferral Accounts.

1) First thing to do is confirm your CO, and then check CRTC 2007-50, and CRTC 2008-1 to see if your CO is listed as a Deferral community.

2) If you are in a Deferral CO, then call Bell, and ask for "Bell Wireless 5", and reference the Bell Deferral Account. If Bell fucks you around, be persistent. This might take multiple calls... however the plan is very much worth it (100 gig cap using the exact same mobile hub).

3) If Bell still refuses service, then complain to the CRTC. Bell Deferral communities (DSA or CO based) ARE entitled to service.

I can mention a neighbour of mine, who had no wireless, and no DSL. He complained to the CRTC as he was in a Bell Deferral DSA (I told him about it).... lets just say Bell had to spend some serious money to condition his line for DSL (and ultra quick through the winter).

Bell ended up providing service to this residence using DSL (a grant funded FTTN EORN node to boot) about 2 months later. The CRTC enforced the service requirement.

I will save that taxpayer grant funded FTTN issue for my upcoming presentation to the Commission... that is a side point.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the Bell Deferral rollout through PM or on here.
pierb
join:2011-09-20

1 edit

pierb

Absolutely interesting info! I am currently trying to sort it out and find some more info. The only info available is on a blog: »adnetinalgoma.blogspot.c ··· 016.html
It's really seems like Bell trying to hide something. Just search for Bell Wireless 5 brings to nothing from Bell - using this search I only found that excellent blog (a one of its older but still very useful pages).

You are correct, my location is relatively close to Otter Lake. If draw a line between Otter lake and Shawville the location almost in the middle (about 3-4 km left from root 366/303 intersection. Now I am trying to determine is that area applicable for Bell Deferral community. I will provide update. There could be people who also trying to settle the same issue, hopefully this thread will help somebody else.
pierb

pierb

How to find boundaries of Bell Deferral Communities (BDC)? I can open a map but it's not clear what is BDC and what is not? Thanks!
BellDeferral
Pembroke, ON

BellDeferral

said by pierb:

How to find boundaries of Bell Deferral Communities (BDC)? I can open a map but it's not clear what is BDC and what is not? Thanks!

WRT to AdnetAlgoma, that is a blog about the Bell Deferral accounts. I communicate regularly with the blogmaster on Deferral issues. Overall great guy.

His blog is mainly focused on the Northern Ontario area (Goulais, Echo Bay, St. Joseph island).

Regarding the map is unfortunately about as clear as it gets.... That is the ambiguity of the Bell Deferral rollout which I am trying to fix.

However, we need to start by narrowing down your CO first.

If you are route 303 and Route 366 intersection, your CO might be Thorne, however I do note that scale is represented in the lower right corner.

Unfortunately Thorne is not a Bell Deferral CO/community.

What may be of help is providing your full street address and/or landline to your cottage to another member on here who works for Bell.

Perhaps one of them would be able to confirm your CO, and possibly all the way down to your DSA.

Another way would be to call Bell, and ask about getting the Bell Wireless 5. Try and push past their bullshit, and tell them about CRTC 2008-1, and if they say no again, threaten to put in a CRTC complaint after pushing your way through management.

Bell really pulled a number on the Commission when it proposed wireless, and the CRTC of old fell for it. Based on my complaint(s), the present Commission members are stuck with a real doozie of a problem WRT to the wireless, and overlapping boundaries (setting aside the grant funds). For example, a Deferral funded tower certainly could be providing you service, yet Bell gets to charge you the full rates.

An example of that is the Bell Deferral Leverage Triangle that I detail as part of CRTC Case ID 722533

»drive.google.com/folderv ··· =sharing

Anyways, hope you can get service under Bell Wireless 5 plan.

Here is a link to the older plans (note that the prices and offerings are virtually unchanged, however they now do 100 gig plans and overages beyond that at $4.00 a gig). (CRTC Case ID 701360)

»drive.google.com/folderv ··· =sharing
pierb
join:2011-09-20

pierb

Yes, this is Thorne (I am new to the area but it seems like Ladysmith is the new name of Thorne municipality). In different documents I have the same addresses noted as "Ladysmith" and as "Thorne". I will try anyway, attempts are free )))

I've red the complaint document - it's so perfectly done!
BellDeferral
Pembroke, ON

BellDeferral

said by pierb:

Yes, this is Thorne (I am new to the area but it seems like Ladysmith is the new name of Thorne municipality). In different documents I have the same addresses noted as "Ladysmith" and as "Thorne". I will try anyway, attempts are free )))

I've red the complaint document - it's so perfectly done!

Thanks for the compliment on the document(s).

One challange presented itself, and I don't want to burst your bubble.... Otter Lake also exists in Ontario... and the CO's are both named Otter Lake in Ontario and Quebec.... go figure! LOL

Both are Bell CO's.

I would suggest trying to call Bell, and not mentioning that at all.

Bell's common excuses are typically:

- Bell Wireless 5 are "special frequencies". You can counter that by asking them the mHz of the "special frequencies", and note to them that the Bell Deferral rollout was HSPA+ and also works with LTE.
- Bell Wireless 5 is outside of your community coverage.
- etc etc etc.

Bell really doesn't want anybody on the plan, hence the companies reasoning for deploying taxpayer funded DSL wherever it could inside Deferral DSA's.

I just found yet another EORN funded FTTN today in Micksburg (Pembroke CO, DSA 111-0). I always knew it was there based on the EORN maps and Deferral DSA's maps. I just needed pictures.

Unfortunately I can't put a hardened timeline on the FTTN as google streets doesn't head to these roads. The Deferral tower within about a KM from it will be easier to timestamp with Google Earth.

It is really all about getting in the general area, and recognizing Bell's fibre on the lines or marked in the ground, and driving.

In DSA 111-0, I went to the assumed Deferral tower (which was fibre fed & LTE), worked back to the node, and then followed the fibre to run into another node (the second one was outside of the Deferral DSA's).

I will see if there is room in my upcoming presentation for this node. I have time only to present only the most obscene uses of taxpayer dollars in Deferral communities (5 minutes).

dataiv
join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

dataiv

Hi BellDeferral ...

I am trying to get a deferral account set up. I think I can get it for my in-laws, who are served by a CO, SLKRON29 listed in CRTC 2007-50. Bell is playing dumb, like "what's that, Bell Wireless 5 doesn't exist, etc...".

Is there a deferral map for this area? Or any other evidence I can use? My in-laws phone number is a number served by SLKRON29 (905-776-xxxx). So according to CRTC 2007-50, they should be able to get Wireless 5. No DSL or anything of the sort can be had where they are, unfortunately. So the options are basically satellite or cellular.

Any more advice or info you could provide to help me get them signed up would be much appreciated!
BellDeferral
Pembroke, ON

BellDeferral

said by dataiv:

Hi BellDeferral ...

I am trying to get a deferral account set up. I think I can get it for my in-laws, who are served by a CO, SLKRON29 listed in CRTC 2007-50. Bell is playing dumb, like "what's that, Bell Wireless 5 doesn't exist, etc...".

Is there a deferral map for this area? Or any other evidence I can use? My in-laws phone number is a number served by SLKRON29 (905-776-xxxx). So according to CRTC 2007-50, they should be able to get Wireless 5. No DSL or anything of the sort can be had where they are, unfortunately. So the options are basically satellite or cellular.

Any more advice or info you could provide to help me get them signed up would be much appreciated!

Sorry for the late reply.... I have been travelling with work the past while and generally not been as accessible.

PM me with details on your community name and CO.

I will strive to provide you with a map. If Bell drags its feet anymore, I would just complain to the CRTC. It worked with another guy I helped out, and Bell had to go through a lot of ass pain to eventually get him DSL.

CRTC 2007-50 details comminutes by Central Office that are to be served, which is to your advantage.
markymarkl
join:2015-09-07

1 edit

markymarkl

Same issue would like to know if Im in a deferral area???
markymarkl

markymarkl to BellDeferral

to BellDeferral
I think our CO is SLKRON29 which is listed in CRTC 2007-50 deferral notice where can we get a hold of the information! Bell just told me NO SERVICE and buy our TV products??
markymarkl

markymarkl

Took some time but I am signed up for Bell Wireless 5 --TY TY BellDeferral for the info you provided
BellDeferral
Pembroke, ON

BellDeferral

said by markymarkl:

Took some time but I am signed up for Bell Wireless 5 --TY TY BellDeferral for the info you provided

I am exclusively on wireless (not by choice) using Bell. My wife uses Bell Wireless 5 and connects using a VPN connection with work. We do not pay for a static IP at this time.

Any Bell mobility connection should support VPN as long as there is reception. Obviously the better the reception, things like packet loss will drop, which ultimately may serve to improve latency. Typically you are on a fibre connection throughout after it hits the tower as there are very few microwave burst towers in Bell Deferral communities.... it is the last mile that is covered by wireless only.

Those who are refused service, and reside in a Bell Deferral DSA (or CO in case of communities listed under CRTC 2007-50) should complain to the CRTC.... and send me the Case ID as I gather them from further submissions (I use one example of a household I helped quite regularly... denied service for months - then I helped him complain to CRTC - Bell had to do ALOT of line conditioning to give him service as he could only get Xplornet Satillte before that).

Bell recieved $4900 per household under the guarantee they provide service... I can actually complain about tens of houses so far that both have no DSL and no wireless in two DSA's within about 30 KM of my house... but I havn't really bothered to mobilize (yet) the process of informing the households mainly because I am literally a one man show on this.

The other aspect is that residents of the households must complain themselves.... and 90% of households probally won't bother.

25 households X $4900 = $122 K and change of wasted money from the CRTC that was supposed to be used in the public interest. That is just a drop in the bucket, and is only two DSA's.

If anybody else needs help and thinks they are in a Bell Deferral community, send me a message.
markymarkl
join:2015-09-07

markymarkl

But you are making a difference! I have tick off our town council, Rogers (in fact they dont reply to my emails anymore and I havent been nasty at all) and a few others! Keep up the good work.
markymarkl

markymarkl to BellDeferral

to BellDeferral
The hard part is to figure out if you are in the deferral area or not! And Bell isnt there to help you have to do this with help from folks like YOU!!!!