Search similar:

uniqs
CadreOne
join:2016-01-06
Neptune Beach, FL

1 recommendation

CadreOne

[DOCSIS] Docsis 3.1 modems?

Does anyone know if i can buy a docsis 3.1 modem now. The reason why i ask. I heard the new modems have AQM. Can some one please help me?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

5 recommendations

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by CadreOne:

Does anyone know if i can buy a docsis 3.1 modem now. The reason why i ask. I heard the new modems have AQM. Can some one please help me?

There are 5 modems that have been certed, but none are for sell yet/on comcast's list. Look later this year.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

7 recommendations

NetDog to CadreOne

Premium Member

to CadreOne
It is going to be a little bit for everything to get worked out..

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad to CadreOne

MVM

to CadreOne
said by Chris 313:

said by CadreOne:

There are 5 modems that have been certed, but none are for sell yet/on comcast's list. Look later this year.

Yes, see: »Re: [DOCSIS] What is docsis 3.1?

Don't know how many (or if any) of those five are targeted for retail sale, or just for lease by MSOs, though.

One other D3.1 modem that is being targeted for retail sale is the ARRIS SB8200: »Re: [Connectivity] What is docsis 3.1?

Also more details here: »Arris announces DOCSIS 3.1 modems

Not sure if it has been certified by CableLabs yet though.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

5 recommendations

Mike Wolf

said by telcodad:

Don't know how many (or if any) of those five are targeted for retail sale, or just for lease by MSOs, though.

This is why I still recommend going with a 16x4, 24x8, or 32x8 D3.0 modem. Who knows when or if they're ever going to come to the retail market. As others on the forum have said, the system still going to be operating in mixed D3.0/D3.1 mode for quite a while. It's not going to be a big dramatic overnight change that suddenly causes all D3.0 devices to become obsolete like the 2009 analog to digital switchover did to OTA analog tuners. It's going to be a meticulously planned, long, drawn out process that will probably take years to fully implement in every market.

jfox8
Community Manager
Premium Member
join:2016-03-05
Philadelphia, PA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Plume Pod

4 recommendations

jfox8

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

It's not going to be a big dramatic overnight change that suddenly causes all D3.0 devices to become obsolete like the 2009 analog to digital switchover did to OTA analog tuners.

Well said!

There's no magic 'cutover' that's going to happen, since D3.1 will use the same lines as D3. An upgrade to the cards at the CMTS to handle 32 downstream channels is the core requirement. A 16- or 24-channel modem will still work just fine.

I'm not 100% sure about models for retail sale. I have had the opportunity to see Comcast's D3.1 gateway and I'm excited to see it in customers' homes as soon as it's ready.

»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· it-modem

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by jfox8:

... I'm not 100% sure about models for retail sale. I have had the opportunity to see Comcast's D3.1 gateway and I'm excited to see it in customers' homes as soon as it's ready.

»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· it-modem

People can also get a look at Comcast's D3.1 gateway here:

INTX 2015: Comcast Previews 'Gigabit Home Gateway'
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· y/390410

John - Do you know if that gateway has obtained CableLabs certification yet? I guess that was not required for "trial" use so far, though.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

3 recommendations

DarkLogix to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

It is going to be a little bit for everything to get worked out..

Any way later this year I could get a D3.1 modem with a SFP+ port?

jfox8
Community Manager
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA
ARRIS SB8200
Plume Pod

1 edit

3 recommendations

jfox8 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Do you know if that gateway has obtained CableLabs certification yet?

As testing continues, certification will be forthcoming.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

3 recommendations

Mike Wolf to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
I'm doubtful since the majority of residential users wouldn't have equipment that has an SFP+ port, however it might be possible for a business geared model to be released which does.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

4 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

An SFP+ port is just a port for an optic or copper Ethernet adapter of the users choice. The adapters run 50-250 each depending on the type.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· 60&dpr=2

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

5 recommendations

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

An SFP+ port is just a port for an optic or copper Ethernet adapter of the users choice. The adapters run 50-250 each depending on the type.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· 60&dpr=2

And so long as they make sure it's capable of running at just gig in addition to 10gig they could ship it with a GLC-T in it, then if the user want to connect it at 10gig all they'd have to do is get the right adapter and plug it in.

Franken
join:2016-02-26

Franken to telcodad

to telcodad
Comcast's own D3.1 modem... I think that is only a temporary modem. If I remember correctly they said that in an interview. They will provide "regular" modems at a later date.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Franken:

Comcast's own D3.1 modem... I think that is only a temporary modem. If I remember correctly they said that in an interview. They will provide "regular" modems at a later date.

Well, it's more than just a "temporary modem," it's a major D3.1 gateway box:

quote:
According to [Comcast's EVP and CTO Tony] Werner, the new D3.1-powered gateway will also feature gigabit WiFi, support IP video, and integrate home automation and security capabilities. It's also the first Comcast device to integrate home networking control and monitoring software that the operator acquired in 2014 via its purchase of PowerCloud Systems. It's also equipped with RDK B, a new flavor of the Reference Design Kit, a preintegrated software stack, that can be applied all-purpose gateways.

Franken
join:2016-02-26

1 edit

1 recommendation

Franken

»www.btreport.net/hangout ··· ead.html

I was thinking about that. Jorge Salinger talks about a test modem (8:00). It might be a different modem.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Franken:

I was thinking about that. Jorge Salinger talks about a test modem (8:00). It might be a different modem.

OK, yeah, I see what you mean.

Jorge Salinger said they had hundreds of those early "non-gateway" modems made by an industry partner for their initial D3.1 field testing during early 2015.

He seems to indicate that a gateway was currently "under development" though, for use with consumer trials to start this year (2016), like in the Atlanta area now: »Email stating gigabit is on the way to Woodstock, GA
CadreOne
join:2016-01-06
Neptune Beach, FL

1 recommendation

CadreOne to jfox8

to jfox8
i don't care about the channels per se. i care about the docsis 3.1 and active queue management or AQM which will help bufferbloat and stuff like that. I am not looking at higher speed. I am looking at better handling of queueing which would make my connection a little better if you know what i mean. If i am correct none of the modems today have AQM at least on the consumer side correct me if i am wrong.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

3 recommendations

Mike Wolf

I'm thinking AQM wouldn't be enabled until the network is running in pure D3.1 mode later on.

jfox8
Community Manager
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA
ARRIS SB8200
Plume Pod

1 recommendation

jfox8 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by Franken:

quote:
According to [Comcast's EVP and CTO Tony] Werner, the new D3.1-powered gateway will also feature gigabit WiFi, support IP video, and integrate home automation and security capabilities. It's also the first Comcast device to integrate home networking control and monitoring software that the operator acquired in 2014 via its purchase of PowerCloud Systems. It's also equipped with RDK B, a new flavor of the Reference Design Kit, a preintegrated software stack, that can be applied all-purpose gateways.

I believe that there will be both a gateway and a stand-alone modem. Not sure if this is what you mean.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by jfox8:

said by telcodad:

said by Franken:

»www.multichannel.com/new ··· y/390410

I believe that there will be both a gateway and a stand-alone modem. Not sure if this is what you mean.

OK, that actually makes sense, as the Light Reading article about it had this picture of two different models, but called them both "gateways": »Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Field Trials now in progress

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

2 recommendations

DarkLogix to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm thinking AQM wouldn't be enabled until the network is running in pure D3.1 mode later on.

IE 3-5 years after widespread adoption maybe.

They're only even in the early phase of killing off 4x4 D3 modems and there are still posts by people using D2 modems on this forum.

so before pure D3.1 can happen D3.2 or D4 might be in the launching phase due to all those people that haven't upgraded their still working older tech modems.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

3 edits

5 recommendations

Ripper to CadreOne

Premium Member

to CadreOne
At this time, these are the CableLabs certified DOCSIS 3.1 modems. They are listed in order as on CableLabs. I have included links to modems I could find info on with specs and pics of those. ( The Sagemcom model name is shown as listed on CableLabs, not typo).

Askey Computer Corp. - TCG310, »www.askey.com.tw/pdf/TCG310.pdf
Castlenet - Optimum 601
Netgear - CM1000
Sagemcom - F@ST3890, »www.sagemcom.com/press-e ··· d9d183a8
Technicolor - TC4400-XM6, »www.technicolor.com/en/s ··· s/tc4400
Ubee Interactive - DVMA20, »www.ubeeinteractive.com/ ··· cation-0

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
Agreed.

EnasYorl
Thieves World
join:2001-12-02
West

1 recommendation

EnasYorl to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
Doubt it. Cat 5e or 6 from D3.1 over to a copper SFP in your router should work »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 16530001

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck to Ripper

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

wtf is going on with the case on the Askey one? Looks like it's mounted inside half a block of wood..... weird. Also, it apparently can only do "PacketCable" voice service using versions 1.0 and 1.5, not 2.0....

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Out of all of those linked, I liked that one the most. I think it looks cool and stylish.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

3 recommendations

DarkLogix to EnasYorl

Premium Member

to EnasYorl
said by EnasYorl:

Doubt it. Cat 5e or 6 from D3.1 over to a copper SFP in your router should work »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 16530001

That's a 1gig GLC-T.

So as I said they could ship it with that and have the actual port be a SFP+ port so the GLC-T could be swapped for a 10g SFP+ module. (which so fat there aren't any RJ45 SFP+'s there are 10Gbase-T interfaces but not on SFP+'s.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

5 recommendations

telcodad to train_wreck

MVM

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

said by Ripper:

wtf is going on with the case on the Askey one? Looks like it's mounted inside half a block of wood..... weird.

said by Mike Wolf:

Out of all of those linked, I liked that one the most. I think it looks cool and stylish.

I'd say it appears that the "woody" look is back!

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

4 recommendations

Jim721

Yuck I don't like that look at all.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

3 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by Jim721:

Yuck I don't like that look at all.

But what if Askey says that it's the first "organically grown" modem? Would you want it then?