spc
Search similar:

uniqs
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Testing Phantom Data Usage: Unplugging Top Cable on HughesNet Box

Several weeks ago HugesNet support enlightened me to data usage (15 to 17MB/hr) during times the computer is off and no other devices were connected to the wifi. This just started a few months ago and I've been with HN for many many years. I called ts again last night. They said to prove it's on my end and not theirs, to unplug the top cable on the box over night. Reconnect the cable in the morning and compare MBs used. The results were negligible. My QUESTION... is this is a valid test to determine if the problem is or isn't on the Hughesnet side? If the connection is broken by disconnecting the cable, would this also keep Hughesnet from being able to transfer/use data on their end as well? IOW, is this a valid test to prove it's me and not them?
Thanks

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

It is a valid test.
Having said that I suggest you read the entire topic here:
»community.myhughesnet.co ··· l21wtkxq

You will find an evolving topic with a reply by me that is spot on to your question and the procedures involved in my next to the last reply.
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

OK, I have solved (my) disappearing data dilemma. I hope it helps someone else. I found the answer a couple of months ago and things have been back to normal ever since I unplugged my Google ChromeCast dongles (2 of them).

Yes, (and I hope I'm not repeating myself ) Chromecast downloads those beautiful backdrops to the tune of 8-10MB an hour. I have two of them so it was totaling 15 to 17MB/hr. If you add that up it's over 10GB/month but you have to consider the bonus time where the data used is not going against you. Since I've unplugged the ChromeCast dongles, data usage has been normal.

Most people won't notice the data usage but satellite people sure will! As of right now, I know of no way to stop Google from downloading this unwanted data. Too bad because I really enjoyed my ChromeCast.

rstrickland
join:2001-06-22
Clinton, NC

rstrickland

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
You can turn off the backdrop.
Within the Google Cast App Select: Devices>Device Menu>Backdrop Settings>Turn Off/Disable All Options.
Do that for all of your ChromeCast devices.
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

OMGosh! If this works you are my new best friend! I thought I'd read that you could NOT turn it off. I'll let you know in the next couple of days
Thanks!

rstrickland
join:2001-06-22
Clinton, NC

1 recommendation

rstrickland

Ahh!! I just realized when I disabled everything featured photos still appeared. After I did some digging I saw that featured photos will still be displayed if all the settings are disabled. The only thing I can think of is uploading a low res photo to Google Photos, and select that to be the only thing that is displayed.