spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JqlNola
join:2011-01-07
Marrero, LA

1 edit

JqlNola

[ALL] Ultimate Tier data cap dropped from 2-TB to 1-TB?

I was just on Cox website checking my data usage and I noticed that the data usage cap is now 1TB instead 2TB for the Ultimate tier. Is this a recent change that I've missed since I never got any notice that they've lowered the usage limit?

I went and looked up the usage limit for each tier on Cox's website and sure enough, they've changed them to the following.

Package Monthly Included Data Speeds

Download / Upload
Starter 200 GB 5 Mbps / 1 Mbps
Essential 250 GB 15 Mbps / 2 Mbps
Preferred 350 GB 50 Mbps / 5 Mbps
Premier 700 GB 100 Mbps / 10 Mbps
Ultimate 1000 GB 200 Mbps / 20 Mbps
Note: 300 Mbps / 30 Mbps in select areas

Gigablast (Where Available) 2000 GB 1 Gbps / 1 Gbps

Apparently they've made Gigablast usage limit 2TB and dropped Ultimate down to 1TB. I hope this is not an indication that they will be enforcing the data cap and applying overage fee like Comcast and others!
XocXoc
join:2016-05-21
West Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

XocXoc

said by JqlNola:

I hope this is not and indication that they will be enforcing the data cap and applying overage fee like Comcast and others!

I think it may be just that; Lowering and hardening of the cap. Do contracts and price locks include bandwidth caps?
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

lilstone87

Well i went over it this past month, and honestly don't care. It was 2tb for ultimate, and for them to go back on that, is bullshit plain, and simple. Gigablast isn't even a option here, and i will refuse to go to any business class internet.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

1 recommendation

digiblur to JqlNola

Premium Member

to JqlNola
Think yall nailed it... hard caps are a coming. Great.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

1 recommendation

jchambers28

Premium Member

tech support told me they are trying to push people to gigabit.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

1 recommendation

digiblur

Premium Member

said by jchambers28:

tech support told me they are trying to push people to gigabit.

I have my money in hand waiting for them. Little hard to do with 12x4 though.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

1 recommendation

jchambers28

Premium Member

yeah I know. i am waiting also they only offer 200 here.

LtnKreationz
Premium Member
join:2009-11-11
Mesa, AZ

1 recommendation

LtnKreationz to JqlNola

Premium Member

to JqlNola
Is this only in certain areas? When I log in to my account, it still shows 2TB.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

2 recommendations

lilstone87

said by LtnKreationz:

Is this only in certain areas? When I log in to my account, it still shows 2TB.

I guess so for now... But I know my market, I checked earlier after seeing this thread, and at some point within the last month. They have dropped the data usage limit to 1tb from 2tb it was for ultimate.

Like I said above, I have went over the 1tb limit for this month's period, and honestly don't care. As I think it's shitty on cox's end to increase its internet tiers data caps, then suddenly cut at least ultimate's cap limit 50% from 2tb to now 1tb. Gigablast isn't an option here, and I honestly don't think it will be a option any time soon.

So if cox does plan to contact me about going over the now 1tb limit for ultimate. I will tell them straight up, they have lost there F'ing minds if they expect me to go business class, as I'm paying for there highest residential tier they offer in my market. Finally I don't recall any notification of this change happening, and if they plan to enforce it. It's very important to let there customers know.. It's very important in my opinion regardless, as we're talking about a 50% decrease in cap space for ultimate.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

1 recommendation

jchambers28

Premium Member

BS move

Synapseofrg
join:2013-03-10
Tucson, AZ

3 recommendations

Synapseofrg to JqlNola

to JqlNola
Confirmed, my account shows 1TB as well. Not cool Cox, not cool.

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium Member
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK

2 recommendations

H2OuUp2 to JqlNola

Premium Member

to JqlNola
Just checked mine. It is now at 1TB as well.

I too say BS move Cox. I can't get gigablast here even though it's offered in OKC. If either ATT or Google offers if first, I'm gone Cox.

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

3 recommendations

kv2009 to JqlNola

to JqlNola
Wow. First, it's annoying that LA is always near the last to get *anything* new from Cox, except for the annual bill increase. Now they're actually going BACKWARD with tier bandwidth caps? Are they at least reducing the monthly bill? I guess we'll see but I highly doubt it.

This is pretty bad.....
XocXoc
West Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

XocXoc

I think LA just doesn't have the updated infrastructure that their other markets have and they don't want to invest the money. IMO the Ultimate package should be removed from LA until they have built a network that can handle 24x4 atleast. Most other networks are up to 32 downstream channels.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

3 recommendations

CoxTech1 to kv2009

to kv2009
Wasn't it LA that was first to get Ultimate?
clbowen2
join:2000-10-06
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

clbowen2 to JqlNola

to JqlNola
They already enforce the caps here. So no surprise that they are going to start enforcing them nationwide.
A 3xCmbt Vet
Premium Member
join:2016-02-21
Peoria, AZ
Netgear C6300BD-Cox

1 recommendation

A 3xCmbt Vet to JqlNola

Premium Member

to JqlNola
They put more effort into scheming the sheeples it's un-honorable they have no integrity , I'm so tired of seeing bottom of the barrel SNR and power levels , 100s-1000s of correct/un- correctionals , the mystery faith and values pack that is in all our bills tripling or more what our bills used to be , them never maintenancing their lines , seeing people with equipment for std def but have been paying for hd for years to 1 tv and no refund or credit and them suing Tucson when Google tried laying fiber for them , and now this BS . Google offered 5mbs up/down for life for a $300 install of fiber, and $70 for 1G sym service , I would buy two lines per household in my neighborhood to end this monopoly .
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

lilstone87

Well between the old place i lived, and the new place. I have had cox's services for over 15+ years, and this is the first time i can remember cox doing something i consider "shady" and without a doubt wrong. I have personally had ultimate with cox in my market since it was offered here a few years ago. I did have one month where i didn't have it, during process of moving to my new place of living.

Back to topic at hand. If cox's plan was to have gigablast/gigabyte services to have a higher cap. They should of increased its cap to 4-5tb. But to decrease ultimate's 2tb cap by half, which was only increased within the last year is wrong. Whoever handles these types of decisions... within cox. Made a terrible decision on this, and could be costly for them.

As after seeing this, and if this doesn't change. I have seriously thought about dropping ultimate, if cox starts harassing me about my usage. Which i will give them a earful on how i feel about this move if they do so. As of right now, ultimate has only a 300gb higher limit then premier tier. Also i even checked, and cox hasn't in no way even mentioned this change regarding ultimate, to its customers.
Tec972
join:2008-07-26
Broken Arrow, OK

2 recommendations

Tec972 to JqlNola

to JqlNola
This is unconscionable! They only did this because the other companies started doing it. They should grandfather anyone who moved to ultimate for the 2TB data cap. This is part of the reason why everyone hates cable and telecom companies. When one does something screwed up, they all fall in line and do it because of collusion. Here's a novel idea, Be different! Serve your customers that you spend a fortune to lure in, and put half the effort and money you waste in marketing towards taking care of the loyal people you have onboard. Word spreads better than your marketing garbage that you waste so much time, money and effort on.
XocXoc
West Warwick, RI

2 recommendations

XocXoc to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

Yea, because Cox wanted more money. They increased service before the area was ready. As someone who has had to work with LA technicians, IMO they are the laziest and most uncaring about intermittent issues as a whole. No offense, but Cox employees should stay far away from this debate. It will only make Cox look worse.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

2 recommendations

DarkSithPro (banned) to JqlNola

to JqlNola
Will the unused data that we "pay" for be rolled over to the next month?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by DarkSithPro:

Will the unused data that we "pay" for be rolled over to the next month?

"Note: Unused data does not carry over to the next month."
JqlNola
Marrero, LA

1 edit

2 recommendations

JqlNola

Looks like I'm not the only one surprised and pissed off by this Cox's underhanded move. I actually thought that Cox was pretty awesome when they increased the Ultimate tier limit from 400GB to 2TB considering the limits that other ISPs were using. Well....that was short lived!

Personally, I thought 2TB for Ultimate was a pretty reasonable number since I have a 4 persons household that always stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube videos all day long and we usually get close to 1TB and sometime over. At 1 TB, we will definitely hit that ceiling more likely than not with the the addition of more 4k contents.

This is why it's rubbing me the wrong way that Cox had decided to just dropped the limit by 50% so they can be like the rest of the other ISPs .

I know they are not currently enforcing these limits YET (beside Cleveland) but for them to set these limits so low for their highest tiers (Gigablast included) is just BS and greedy on Cox's part. I can already see them just drooling at the $10/50GB overage charge and can't wait to implement this everywhere!

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

2 recommendations

jchambers28

Premium Member

I have filed complaints with

FCC
COX
FTC
Mayor
Stop the cap.
jchambers28

1 recommendation

jchambers28 to JqlNola

Premium Member

to JqlNola
»stopthecap.com/

»stopthecap.com/2016/06/0 ··· ce-half/

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

1 edit

1 recommendation

kv2009 to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

:) Very true and point well-taken! I believe we were also one of the first to receive DOCSIS 3.0 service, but I may be wrong about that. But that was quite some time ago. These days it feels like we're put last or near last behind just about every other market. My node was upgraded to 4 upstream channels just a few months ago - something that was available in other markets a long time before. Also, I had a tech out recently to fix an issue, and was chatting with him about upcoming services. He was from somewhere in the northeastern US and said they were far beyond our level of service down here in both plant infrastructure and service deployment to customers.

I realize this wasnt an engineering decision because if engineers had their way, things would be a *lot* different, in just about any field of engineering. But as a telecommunications company, Cox should always be looking forward. This decision is the opposite of that.
jbv
join:2014-10-06
Tulsa, OK

2 recommendations

jbv to JqlNola

to JqlNola
Click for full size
956GB overage
Click for full size
So I actually got on today for the first time in ages because I saw this and freaked out. This is atypical usage for me because I backed up most of my NAS with CrashPlan but still.

I just got Ultimate two months ago...it's going away if they're going to do this.

Edit: posting from my phone and I can't figure out how the attachments are supposed to work so you get to see my horror twice.
relayer35
join:2010-01-01

1 recommendation

relayer35 to kv2009

to kv2009
Just want to add how angry I am with this. Moves like this don't lend themselves to promoting company loyalty. I already cancelled my TV service this year. This article came out today: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· l/405537 . If this is true, this is just a method to upsell people to the next level service. Of course, in Connecticut there is no next level service. I have a family of four, we stream the MLB.tv package, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc. We come close to 1000gb routinely (but usually well shy of 2000gb). So I guess we'll have to deal with the e-mail notifications. I've been a Cox customer for over 20 years, and this is the crappiest thing they pulled so far. What will be next?
JqlNola
Marrero, LA

1 recommendation

JqlNola to jbv

to jbv
Well jbv, you better get ready to open your wallet if Cox has it's way and starts to enforce that 1TB cap for your ultimate tier.

Let see , Cox's goal is to charge you $10/50GB over the the 1TB limit and you went over by ~950GB. You would in theory be charged 950/50 = 19 x $10 = $190 overage fee + $99 for the Ultimate tier!!! Ouch!!

This my friend is what we have to look forward to with these proposed usage caps and it's not pretty! It's definitely coming and we are at the ISPs mercy in areas where there are no competition and that just sucks!
said by jbv:

So I actually got on today for the first time in ages because I saw this and freaked out. This is atypical usage for me because I backed up most of my NAS with CrashPlan but still.

I just got Ultimate two months ago...it's going away if they're going to do this.

Edit: posting from my phone and I can't figure out how the attachments are supposed to work so you get to see my horror twice.

Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

5 recommendations

Needleinthha

Yes, cue thread being full of 100's of comments saying "IM GONNA CANCEL. F U COX YOU JUST LOST MY BUSINESS. WAY TO KEEP LOYAL CUSTOMERS" etc

and then in 6 months from now guess how many of those same people are gonna keep cox? 99.9% of them. Because cox knows they've got us by the balls....what are we gonna do? Do 10mbps on crappy DSL, or tether our cellphones 5gb/month or go back to ISDn/Dialup? It sucks, it really is annoying, especially considering the price increases the last few years....internet fees have gone up very, very, fast the last few years. But guess what? We have no other option, really....And cox knows this....

you'd think because theyre not a publicly held company they wouldnt be pressued to squeeze every last dollar from the customers, but apparently not.