talon0226

SB6190 forever to load DNS or fails

Click for full size
Status
Click for full size
Bond Down
Click for full size
Bond Down/Up
Hello all, I looked through the other post and didn't see an answer to issue like mine. I switched from the SB6141 to the SB6190 and it worked great at first (the SB6141 was always great) but when I got the firmware 9.1.93N it started taking forever to load any webpage (shows Resolving Host.. at bottom right/Chrome browser) and will usually fail to a message like this
This site can’t be reached

www.newegg.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
Search Google for newegg
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

then after another 10-20 second it may load on its own but sometimes the site needs to be reloaded several times before it loads all the objects, etc. I also use Ventrilo and when this is happening it will fail to resolve the hostname but will get to the server via the IP address right away. Tnot ahis can happen to any site I try, no matter if I have been there today or not. Also if for example on this site if I'm on a forum and go through right clicking links and opening them in new tabs they will either take forever to load or won't load at all ( problem before the firmware change or SB6141). I have multi computers and all get the same issue. I confirmed the modem as the source by going down to 1 PC then trying different new CAT 5, 6 and 7 cables. All same result. If I reboot the modem by pulling the power and waiting 30 seconds the issue will resolve but start again anywhere within 1 hour - 2 hours. I just had comcast put in a new coax outside months before with the SB6141 (it was a very old and damaged cable), the connection goes straight to my cable modem, I have no splitters, blocks, etc as I don't use cable service for anything else so it's a straight connection. I've also used a bobby pin to use the reset function on the back of the modem several times and it reloaded fine but issue comes back. I also went through and tried different browsers (Edge, Firefox) and all get same issue. Ping test also seem to be fine during the time this issue goes on. My levels on the SB6190 reflect the same I got on my SB6141. Speed test are also consistent. I thought I would post here for ideas/advice/etc before I even try Comcast as they tend to not provide the level of support I'm really after without some prodding.

I've included the Status screen from the modem as well if anyone wanted to see it in case I didn't notice a problem, these were taken at an Up time of 1 d: 8 h: 39 m. Thank you.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

Try going into your router OR PC and setting the DNS servers to something other than those from Comcast. Try using Googles at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if that gets things working again.

It would not be the first ISP who had problems controlling their DNS servers.

One thing worth looking into is to record the DNS values being fed to your PC using one modem, then power down PC and switch modems and see what your PC winds up as DNS servers on the second modem after powering the PC back on.

You can look at the DNS values by opening a command window on your PC and using the ipconfig /all command.
gtb
Premium Member
join:2016-05-16
united state

gtb to talon0226

Premium Member

to talon0226
said by talon0226:

Hello all, I looked through the other post and didn't see an answer to issue like mine. ....

This is one of the "known" (or at least reported) issues with 9.1.93N. Rebooting the modem solves the problem, as you have noted. Many are hoping 9.1.93O (or P, or whatever it will be) will happen soon with a fix.

I've included the Status screen from the modem as well if anyone wanted to see it in case I didn't notice a problem, these were taken at an Up time of 1 d: 8 h: 39 m. Thank you.

That is quite a few uncorrectable errors. Did they occur "in a batch" due to some cable maintenance (by you, your provider, ?), in which case they might be able to be ignored. If they are slowing increasing you have noise somewhere in your cabling/plant which should also be addressed, but that has nothing to do with the dns delays.
talon0226
join:2016-06-25
Aurora, CO

talon0226

Well here's hoping the firmware comes out soon, hard to work with. After I reboot the modem I don't touch the cabling, as far as I know no one has been out here to work on the cabling, I know it looks like quite a bit but honestly hasn't really affected my overall service. I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks again.