All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

lawguru
join:2001-12-12
Atlanta, GA

9 recommendations

lawguru

Re: [Plan] XI Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 - data cap with 3-year agreement?

Click for full size
Technicolor TC-4400-CMT
lawguru

10 recommendations

lawguru

Second test:

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

5 recommendations

karpodiem

Premium Member

Impressive. Most impressive.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

2 recommendations

train_wreck to lawguru

to lawguru
Interesting, haven't seen a picture of that modem yet. Looks like lots of ventilation.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

Riverpilot to lawguru

to lawguru
The modem looks quite a bit larger and a different design than previous pictures I've seen of that numbered model. If you have moment, would you please measure and give dimensions?
Thanks much for all the information

lawguru
Atlanta, GA

3 recommendations

lawguru

It is basically 6.75" x 6.75" x 1.5". Unfortunately, it cannot sit on its side.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

Riverpilot

Thanks much! Not quite as big as the picture makes it.
Gunny123
join:2016-04-03
Jamaica Plain, MA

1 recommendation

Gunny123 to lawguru

to lawguru
That 42 mbps upload though... I can only dream of that currently. What city is this again? Nashville?

lawguru
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

lawguru

Atlanta
Gunny123
Jamaica Plain, MA

2 recommendations

Gunny123

Looking up home prices there now...

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to Gunny123

MVM

to Gunny123
said by Gunny123:

That 42 mbps upload though... I can only dream of that currently.

Yeah that the advertised 35 Mbps (D3.0) upload speed of the D3.1 gigabit service (1000/35) with the typical 20% overprovisioning.
Gunny123
Jamaica Plain, MA

1 recommendation

Gunny123

I'd give a body part to Comcast for those speeds any day. However, I never see above 180 on my Blast! tier in NJ. Even though the FAQ says I should be seeing 187.5 down
njfoses
join:2003-11-11
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

njfoses to lawguru

to lawguru
said by lawguru:

Second test:

Sweet! Looking forward to my install tomorrow.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by njfoses:

Looking forward to my install tomorrow.

Try to take baseline speed tests of your current D3.0 service before that:
»www.speedtest.net/
»/speedtest
njfoses
Atlanta, GA

7 recommendations

njfoses

Looks like my install will not be happening today. Tech arrived and had little to no knowledge of docsis 3.1. He had never heard of the technicolor modem and did not have one on his truck. He was fairly persistent on installing a docsis 3.0 modem "just to try." I told him a few times not to waste my or his time and he finally backed off and called a supervisor. Supervisor stated docsis 3.1 is not available in my community yet, so the tech closed the job and left.

Called support and was informed the tech and supervisor were misinformed and that the situation will be escalated and that i should receive a phone call in a few hours on next steps.

Nothing like wasting a day off of work for nothing. Unfortunately I cant say I am surprised.

lawguru
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

lawguru

"Greg" was the name of the in-house tech that visited me - really knowledgeable guy. Hopefully you get him next time. He even noticed that I had the older X1 remote and gave me a new voice-activated one while he was there.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

4 recommendations

jlivingood to lawguru

Premium Member

to lawguru
said by lawguru:

It is basically 6.75" x 6.75" x 1.5". Unfortunately, it cannot sit on its side.

Full scale production is likely to be very different. So don't conclude too much on the device itself.
njfoses
Atlanta, GA

4 recommendations

njfoses

said by njfoses:

Looks like my install will not be happening today. Tech arrived and had little to no knowledge of docsis 3.1. He had never heard of the technicolor modem and did not have one on his truck. He was fairly persistent on installing a docsis 3.0 modem "just to try." I told him a few times not to waste my or his time and he finally backed off and called a supervisor. Supervisor stated docsis 3.1 is not available in my community yet, so the tech closed the job and left.

Called support and was informed the tech and supervisor were misinformed and that the situation will be escalated and that i should receive a phone call in a few hours on next steps.

Nothing like wasting a day off of work for nothing. Unfortunately I cant say I am surprised.

Never received a call back yesterday (again not surprised unfortunately.) I called the Docsis 3.1 "promo dept" back this am as they apparently are the only group with knowledge of Docsis 3.1.

I was informed they are a 3rd party (shocking) and their supervisor has yet to hear back from Comcast direct on how soon a competent tech can come out.

They informed me if they just reschedule the appt it will be mid August at the earliest which is why they are trying to escalate.

I completely understand this is a trial, but please Comcast get your act together.
njfoses

3 recommendations

njfoses

said by njfoses:

said by njfoses:

Never received a call back yesterday (again not surprised unfortunately.) I called the Docsis 3.1 "promo dept" back this am as they apparently are the only group with knowledge of Docsis 3.1.

I was informed they are a 3rd party (shocking) and their supervisor has yet to hear back from Comcast direct on how soon a competent tech can come out.

They informed me if they just reschedule the appt it will be mid August at the earliest which is why they are trying to escalate.

I completely understand this is a trial, but please Comcast get your act together.

I will give credit where credit is due. I am keeping the details private, but Comcast came through in a big way for me! Install is now rescheduled for 7/22.
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

1 edit

1 recommendation

ualdayan

said by njfoses:

I will give credit where credit is due. I am keeping the details private, but Comcast came through in a big way for me! Install is now rescheduled for 7/22.

Wish I knew your secret. I still don't have the right thing scheduled to be installed, that outside group severely broke my account (my existing TV is only half working), and the last bill was very very wrong and despite calling at least 5 times over the past 3 weeks ("We'll call you back" is what I kept hearing, and then this last call ended with the rep basically letting me know all the others had been lying when they claimed they were putting tickets in and that they would call me back because there were no tickets on record).

They jacked the bill way up now claiming that my first cablebox is no longer included in my subscription because it's a cablecard device, the last rep 'helpfully' said "Why don't you trade in your cablecard and get one of our boxes? It's a big upgrade and then you won't have the extra fee for using your own box since the first Comcast box would be included." No amount of me insisting that my first cablecard equipped box should be included would move them - "Only Comcast boxes are included. If you want to use your box you have to pay an additional outlet fee." They even removed the customer owned equipment credits I was getting for the cablecard previously.

At the start of all of this I was willing to sign a 3 year agreement and add internet, and now after what I've been through with my bill still being wrong 3 weeks later, TV going in and out with every 'We've changed your service!' email, I'm seriously looking at DirecTV and putting up with just 18Mbps from Uverse. Just imagine what a tech guy like most of us on these forums would have to go through in order to seriously consider jumping ship from maybe (if that outside group learns how to actually put the order in right, or at a minimum not break people's accounts entirely) having Gigabit speed to seriously considering just 18Mbps - yes, I've been through that much with customer support.

lawguru
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

lawguru to njfoses

to njfoses
said by njfoses:

Good luck on your install.
Expand your moderator at work

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to lawguru

to lawguru

Re: [Plan] XI Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 - data cap with 3-year agreement?

Not the prettiest thing to look at but I guess it'll get the job done.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

betam4x to lawguru

to lawguru
Just be careful about that. My Comcast rep claimed that Comcast doesn't care about remotes and told me to throw the old ones away. They actually do, all the remotes are somehow tracked. I found out later that they were tracked...thank god I saved the old ones...