join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

4 edits

6 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

[Equip] Retail Arris TM822G(eMTA) Now Available on Amazon/From Arris

Edit: It is now available once again, based on recent posts.
Not sure if this has been posted already, but figured I would mention it for those who weren't aware.

It seems that the retail Arris TM822G Comcast 'kit' is now available on Amazon for the price of $149.99 compared to the gateway(TG862) version for $199.99 .

»www.amazon.com/SURFboard ··· 6XD6VQ1J

It seems like it became available on the 9th or so.

The box includes -
- TM822G
- One short and one long coax cable
- Ethernet cable
- Power cord
- 2 way splitter

You don't seem to get the battery included.

There is currently only one TM822G listed on the approved list at the moment(A.K.A. no 'retail' version listed), so it may cause some problems. Edit: See page 3, it is now approved for retail purchase.

It doesn't seem like there are any other higher spec retail eMTA devices at the moment sold by Amazon for Comcast, sadly(unless I missed it).

In other news, there is also a new 32x8 AC1750(no voice) Arris SBG7580AC gateway available as well for $229.99 . It is currently pending approval on Comcast.
»www.amazon.com/SURFboard ··· 1KW9T39C

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

3 recommendations

EG

Premium Member

Re: [Equip] Retail Arris TM822G(eMTA) Now Available on Amazon

Gotta' wonder if they finally changed their policy about customer owned 822's and if they will actually provision them for service now ???

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

3 recommendations

telcodad to Darknessfall

MVM

to Darknessfall
Click for full size
Nice find! There was some speculation in this previous thread if ARRIS and Comcast were going to make the TM822G available/approved for retail sale: »[Equip] Comcast says Arris TM822G won't work with voice service

This is definitely a recent addition, as it says on that page: "Date First Available: August 29, 2016"

Now to see if it is indicated as being approved for retail purchase on Comcast's list (»mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/) soon.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

3 recommendations

neufuse to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
but but but the comcast guys on the comcast forums said this would never happen....... and the TM822G was never available at best buy as a retail device (We all know it was for a short time)...... they said so!
erthwjim
join:2016-09-15
Seattle, WA

erthwjim to EG

to EG
Umm, so I actually bought a used one through a third party retailer on Amazon a couple years ago

and Comcast provisioned it to my account back then with phone service too. Based on the logo on the modem, my modem originally came from Optimum, but it was working on Comcast without an issue up until I moved about a week ago, and now it just keeps resetting (perhaps they provisioned it wrong?)

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

1 recommendation

ILpt4U to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
»shop.surfboard.com/tm822 ··· 801107k/

I'm going to ask the dumb question: What makes this any different than the one sold directly from Arris's online Surfboard Shop, that is listed under provider CableONE, but is the TM822G/NA version? Arris retails it for $138.95 directly. The Comcast/Amazon one includes a splitter and a coax jumper, whereas the Arris/CableONE one includes the battery

Other than a Comcast/Xfinity branded box, versus a brown Arris branded box, are these not the same physical devices? I bought the TM822G from Arris's online store, and activated it and am using it on Mediacom with no problems
neufuse
James Creek, PA

2 recommendations

neufuse

they are 100% the same device, when you connect it to a Comcast network it will download the Comcast firmware... the bootloader on them is universal, it looks for a downstream channel, talks to a TFTP server broadcast on that channel, downloads the firmware and now it works on Comcast.... same thing happens if you plug it into any other provider that supports the device... only thing you will find different is the model ID... it might be TM822G-CT -NA -OP etc... that's the provider it was meant to be sold to from what I understand, but really it means nothing since Comcast only uses the MAC address not the model name

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

4 recommendations

Darknessfall to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

»shop.surfboard.com/tm822 ··· 801107k/

I'm going to ask the dumb question: What makes this any different than the one sold directly from Arris's online Surfboard Shop, that is listed under provider CableONE, but is the TM822G/NA version? Arris retails it for $138.95 directly. The Comcast/Amazon one includes a splitter and a coax jumper, whereas the Arris/CableONE one includes the battery

Other than a Comcast/Xfinity branded box, versus a brown Arris branded box, are these not the same physical devices? I bought the TM822G from Arris's online store, and activated it and am using it on Mediacom with no problems

I believe they're the same thing. I've seen that one on their site a while back.

The main difference between a version like that and the Comcast retail version comes down to getting it activated. Comcast can be, uh, at times, how do I say, difficult? There has been a little bit of a spike of people having problems getting their TM822G purchased units activated lately. It's a bit hit or miss.

The retail Comcast version is *supposed* to clear up those issues when it comes to activation. It's basically meant to be something 'official' compared to something that claimed as unsupported and problematic at times.

Assuming the support reps aren't stupid(ha), it should completely eliminate the issues people were having getting Comcast to activate their devices for voice.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

Assuming the support reps aren't stupid(ha), it should completely eliminate the issues people were having getting Comcast to activate their devices for voice

Comcast reps at their own forums haven't updated their sticky thread about Retail TM822Gs NOT being approved for Xfinity

»forums.xfinity.com/t5/Se ··· /2528169

»forums.xfinity.com/t5/Se ··· /2632277

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

3 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by ILpt4U:

said by Darknessfall:

Assuming the support reps aren't stupid(ha), it should completely eliminate the issues people were having getting Comcast to activate their devices for voice

Comcast reps at their own forums haven't updated their sticky thread about Retail TM822Gs NOT being approved for Xfinity

»forums.xfinity.com/t5/Se ··· /2528169

»forums.xfinity.com/t5/Se ··· /2632277

They also haven't updated the supported modem list either. I assume there's going to be some reps who try to deny these Amazon purchased units.

Even if they do fix it, I doubt it will help the 'stupid' reps do it right. There's that occasional posting of someone being told their retail SB6141 is end of life, because the rep didn't actually read the notice saying the EOL is only for the rental units.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

3 edits

1 recommendation

ILpt4U

Premium Member

So Comcast wants it to be Clear as Mud as to whether this is approved/supported or not. Good plan!

Already got a reply over on the Comcast threads stating that the Amazon TM822G is not approved for Xfinity:
»forums.xfinity.com/t5/Se ··· /2802692

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by ILpt4U:

the Amazon TM822G is not yet approved for Xfinity

FTFY

I would suspect it will be, but who knows the time frame.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Are not Amazon and Comcast partners now, with the Amazon Cable Store for Xfinity Services?

Surely the marketing people at Comcast aren't dumb enough to authorize a Xfinity/Comcast branded device on Amazon, that clearly states is "Certified and optimized for use with XFINITY internet & voice service from Comcast. Does not work with other cable internet telephone providers." And then turn back around and say it is not supported

That simply doesn't add up. And unlike previous versions of this topic, this is not a Marketplace item, this is not a brown box version, this is Shipped and Sold by Amazon, in clear Xfinity/Comcast branded Packaging

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

3 recommendations

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I suspect Amazon has just put it on the site a little early, and comcast hasn't updated the list yet or notified the CSR's yet.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

I suspect Amazon has just put it on the site a little early, and comcast hasn't updated the list yet or notified the CSR's yet.

If that is the case, this is just more fuel on a dumpster fire of Customer Support Failure -- if Comcast is refusing to activate these, of course

If Comcast is activating them, I guess it is just a matter of getting all the Support teams and pages updated with new information

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

3 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by ILpt4U:

said by DarkLogix:

if Comcast is refusing to activate these, of course

There aren't any reviews yet to tell .

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

3 recommendations

beerbum to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
EVERYBODY HOLD UP a bit. Don't go run and buy one just yet!

I'm sure someone from Comcast will eventually chime in on this.

Until then and without going into too much detail, Amazon jumped the gun and listed those EMTAs prematurely.

CC is in the process of getting their end ready for the retail 822, but as of today (9/26), the system isn't ready to provision them yet. It's in the works, so expect more news soon.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by beerbum:

I'm sure someone from Comcast will eventually chime in on this.

Until then and without going into too much detail, Amazon jumped the gun and listed those EMTAs prematurely.

CC is in the process of getting their end ready for the retail 822, but as of today (9/26), the system isn't ready to provision them yet. It's in the works, so expect more news soon.

Someone from Comcast should chime in

I find it possible Amazon listed the Xfinity Retail TM822G without Comcast's permission/knowledge/authorization, but I find it very unlikely they did so, especially with the Comcast/Amazon Cable Store partnership

Colin
join:2013-01-29

8 recommendations

Colin to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
The 822 is currently being evaluated for retail, but this Amazon page seems to have gone up prematurely.

The TM822 is still not an approved retail device as of this post, and isn't available in the tool that customer care agents use to activate customer-owned modems.

As always, »mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com is the ultimate source of truth for approved retail devices.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Colin:

The 822 is currently being evaluated for retail, but this Amazon page seems to have gone up prematurely.

Darn Amazon lol. Thanks for confirming.

mccabe
join:2012-08-10
Boca Raton, FL

4 recommendations

mccabe to Colin

to Colin
Hasn't Comcast been leasing this modem for 5 yrs., why does it need to be evaluated?

Linksys & SMC make an Emta that's 16x4 & $30-50 cheaper than the 822. Why doesn't Comcast evaluate one of those?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

4 recommendations

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Heck Arris sells the TM1602 16x4 Retail on their online Surfboard Shop, for $99. It is designated for use on Optimum/Cablevision/Altice, but has never been on the Comcast approved device list, Retail or Lease
neufuse
James Creek, PA

4 recommendations

neufuse to Colin

to Colin
so in a year we will be having the "the device was never retail" line from Comcast and the consumer saying "but I bought it from amazon as a retail device" (sound familiar? "I bought it from best buy"?) then Comcast saying "it was never available" when it was? how does this device keep being "accidently" available for retail?
Soups
join:2015-10-15
USA

3 recommendations

Soups to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall

Re: [Equip] Retail Arris TM822G(eMTA) Now Available on Amazon(edit: pending)

Looks like this older device is finally going to be approved for retail. (again). As some have mentioned, wonder what the problem is approving newer eMTA's with more downstream channels for retail? About time they did IMO.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

4 recommendations

DarkLogix to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse

Re: [Equip] Retail Arris TM822G(eMTA) Now Available on Amazon

IMO they need to stop this some models are only available for rent BS.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

4 recommendations

neufuse

I loved the old why you couldn't own an emta exclude "it's because of 911" yet vonage never had an issue with this, and we can now own an emta... so what's the excuse now?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

3 recommendations

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by neufuse:

so what's the excuse now?

It went from 911, to no authorized sellers (implying all purchases were stolen/unreturned provider devices), then to simply needing to be "Retail Authorized" after Legitimate Retail Outlets started selling eMTAs - probably due to the Comcast Billing System not able to discern owned vs leased

But as has been seen here and other places, the Comcast billing system is screwed up anyway owned vs leased, so I don't know if I fully buy that reasoning

ComcastNickM
join:2015-08-20
Philadelphia, PA

6 recommendations

ComcastNickM

We've been working with our internal teams & Arris to get this approved, and I know I've personally gathered and sent data to our business units to get the ball rolling on these. Unfortunately, I don't have any info on this right at this moment, but I'll post here as soon as I know more. Maybe there's been some progress I'm not aware of

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

3 edits

1 recommendation

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Retail Arris TM822G(eMTA) Now Available on Amazon

I appreciate the feedback from the Comcast personnel here, I truly do

This still smells fishy -- there is NO WAY Amazon got these devices available for Retail Sale, in Comcast/Xfinity-branded packaging, without an OK from Comcast. Zero. Nada.

If Amazon did manage to get these Comcast/Xfinity-branded eMTAs available for Retail Sale without an OK from Comcast, I'm assuming there will be Trademark infringement action, as well as a take-down request of the listing

Someone, somewhere at Comcast authorized this production run from Arris to be sold on Amazon in Comcast-branded packaging.

So it is still pretty disingenuous for these devices to be available for retail purchase from a reputable shop like Amazon, and then claim it is not supported

»forums.xfinity.com/t5/Se ··· /2802692

Already a customer on the official Comcast forums, who bought the Amazon/Xfinity TM822G, and Tech Support wouldn't/couldn't activate it, nor could an onsite Tech
said by TexasBuzz :

I purchased one of these units and Comcast would not activate the unit yesterday. This was with a Comcast service tech at the house. The agent on the line said because it was not on the drop down menu she could not activate it.

This was a brand new unit from Amazon, sold by Amazon. It was in a brand new sealed box with Comcast and Infinity all over it. It even had self-install instruction package, again with Comcast all over it.

So I am sure Amazon will take it back, but how in the world can Comcast allow this confusion with a new partner.

To make it more aggravating Comcast uses the Arris TM822G as a rental unit so it is clearly compatible with the network.

So should I return the unit or give it a few days to see if Comcast is going to work with Amazon?

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

2 recommendations

iNick to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall

Re: [Equip] Retail Arris TM822G(eMTA) Now Available on Amazon(edit: pending)

said by Darknessfall:

Not sure if this has been posted already, but figured I would mention it for those who weren't aware.

EDIT: It appears that this was put up prematurely by Amazon based on later posts.

It seems that the retail Arris TM822G Comcast 'kit' is now available on Amazon for the price of $149.99 compared to the gateway(TG862) version for $199.99 .

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· KVOKVYY/

It seems like it became available on the 9th or so.

The box includes -
- TM822G
- One short and one long coax cable
- Ethernet cable
- Power cord
- 2 way splitter

You don't seem to get the battery included.

There is currently only one TM822G listed on the approved list at the moment(A.K.A. no 'retail' version listed), so it may cause some problems.

It doesn't seem like there are any other higher spec retail eMTA devices at the moment sold by Amazon for Comcast, sadly(unless I missed it).

In other news, there is also a new 32x8 AC1750(no voice) Arris SBG7580AC gateway available as well for $229.99 . It is currently pending approval on Comcast.
»www.amazon.com/SURFboard ··· 1KW9T39C

Funny, how I had this for 3 years on Comcast Network. I had brought it from eBay for $60 in October 2013. I never been charged a monthly fee for a modem until I switched the 1 Gig Service. I understand how this is the only EMTA Only MODEM Out There. It's not worth the $150.