Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

4 edits

16 recommendations

xymox1

Premium Member

[Modem] SB6190 is a terrible modem - Intel Puma 6 / MaxLinear mistake

EDIT / UPDATE *** THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED BY ARRIS AND INTEL WITH A POSSIBLE SOLUTION IN WORKS.
THE PROBLEM BELOW EXISTS IN ALL SB6190 MODEMS AND ALSO A LIST OF OTHER INTEL PUMA BASED SYSTEMS
PLEASE DONT REPLY SAYING "Have you tried X" or "I DONT HAVE THIS ISSUE" You DO..And we have..
HOWEVER, *IF* this can be fixed by firmware has not been established yet.

New people to this thread - PLEASE READ THE THREAD

In the next 23 PAGES of thread LOTS of experts have looked at the postings, its been verified and vetted.
Its kinda like a peer reviewed scientific paper now as others have also reproduced the results using 
different methods on different cable systems.

CORRECTION TO BELOW. Max Linear has nothing to do with this issue. This is a INTEL issue.
Sorry Max Linear.

* Detection tool - »/tools/puma6
* Datalink See Profile has a post with a list of devices that he can update
* Search dslr hardware section for Puma6 chipset: »/tests ··· hardware

We also moved our discussion over here
»SB6190 Puma6 TCP/UDP Network Latency Issue Discussion

The Arris / Intel Acknowledgment is covered on "THIS PAGE"

So. I was excited to upgrade from my Arris SB6183 to the Arris SB6190. We have 32 x 8 service in phoenix While they do not have gigabit turned on yet, the infrastructure is turned on and ready.

I was really surprized when the SB6190 clearly performed noticeably worse. My levels are awesome. My errors on all 32 channels are nil. YET browsing the web was noticeably slower and kinda stuttery. I went back to the SB6183. Way better. Back to the SB6190, clearly worse.

Then I noticed that gaming latency to local servers had doubled ?! And was highly jittery..

I run Multiping doing 3 pings a second to my Cox CMTS and run that 24/7 and chart that. I have for 8 years. I was SHOCKED at what i saw.

A HUGE MESS. Latency thru this modem DOUBLED. Not only that but had 250ms spikes every few seconds.

This renders this modem and any device based on the Intel Puma6 / MaxLinear FSC Full-Spectrum Capture technology wholly unsuited for gaming and questionable for ANY home use. I will expand on this further down in this post. I need to point out that Max Linear might be clear of this issue and it might just be a Intel issue.

This is a 8 hour plot. This is to my CMTS. I have YEARS of plot before this.

This led to a 3 day exploration of the issue. I got Cox to update my firmware. I swapped back and forth 8 times between the devices.

CLEARLY its the modem. I am a EE. I design electronics. So I decided to really understand this issue.

The problem is extreme and, frankly, horrific. Arris and Intel Puma6/MaxLinear traded off speed for latency thinking no one would notice. They tossed latency out the window to get 32 bonded channels of speed. They tossed users under the bus as no user is really gonna use 1gbps BUT they will feel the latency and latency jitter in DNS lookups. Gamers will loose games because of random 250ms spikes in latency every few seconds.

Really its obvious from the front of the box that they intend to deceive. "speeds up to 1.4Gbs" .. REALLY ? Using a 1 Gbs ethernet link ? Wow, they defy physics on a 1 Gbps Ethernet link. 1Gbps is the MAX you can EVER EVER get out of this modem. Period. So from the box there was BS. I have filled a FTC complaint over that. Its a complete lie and highly deceptive.

Looking at the performance closely with 5 minute plots its just more scary.

I had to make the scale bigger just to see the tops of the spikes.

The Jitter, random fluctuations of latency, is HORRIFIC and stunning for any modern device.

SOOO... OK OK... So how does that effect ME ??? you might ask...

2 ways..

1. Each page you browse has, on average 50 DNS lookups. Each element on the page has to look in a phone book and look up a number to connect to. This is so critical time wise that ISP's like cox maintain a DNS server as close to your house as possible just for speed. THIS MODEM DOUBLES LATENCY FOR THESE LOOK UPS. So EACH LOOK UP TAKES 2.5 times LONGER !. That REALLY ADDS UP. You can see it on page loads. This has a serious effect on simple web browsing.

2. Gaming. FPS gaming - and most types of gaming REALLY rely on short latency. This DOUBLES the latency BEFORE IT EVEN LEAVES YOUR HOUSE. It Also adds a HUGE random spike 2-4 times a second with really bad latency jitter. This will immd and directly effect your gaming in a negative way.

Latency jitter of this large magnitude, 250ms spikes every few seconds, causes other applications to degrade too. Like VoIP and streaming applications.

Sooooo... Intel / MaxLinear HAD TO KNOW ALL THIS. They HAD TO know the latency issues. They figured no one would be able to figure it out and it would allow them to dazzle people with the words "1.4 Gbps"... Well... It did not get by me..

This is a A/B plot to Google. Its SO BAD you can see it in this plot all the way to Google.

5 min plots

So I looked at what was causing the issue.

WAIT, WHAT... Its not a Broadcom chipset !?! What Tha.. Everything else to date has been Broadcom based. Broadcom is DAMN GOOD at this...

Wait its INTEL ?!?! WTF...

Intel... Puma6 / MAX LINEAR...

This led to a WTF moment... Who is MaxLinear... Well..... Turns out looks like some Broadcom guys left Broadcom and created a new company and decided to go at it on their own...

MAX268

Turns out this box is the first box with this new Intel/MaxLinear chip set combo

Soooooo.... While this looks like a Arris SB6183... Inside its NOTHING LIKE IT..

Im posting here in the Cox HSI forum because im a VERY VERY HAPPY Cox customer for over 10 years. This is *NOT* a Cox issue, but one that will effect Cox customers.

DO NOT BUY THIS MODEM.. DO NOT BUY ANY CABLE MODEM/ROUTER BASED ON THIS CHIP..

If your a gamer, DO *NOT* BUY THIS MODEM... Buy a SB6183 and be happy up to 680Mbs with wonderful low latency and zero latency jitter.
xymox1

1 edit

5 recommendations

xymox1

Premium Member

[Modem] Re: [ALL] SB6190 is a terrible modem - Intel/MaxLinear mistake

Im getting further into the problem. It looks intractable and its the underlying tech which is patented.

((** I have been corrected that the entire issue may indeed be mostly the Intel Puma6 chip that is the issue NOT the Max Linear technology. I cant isolate the 2 so I cant verify that. But it seems likely. So the below might be wrong **))

Max Linear has patents that make for MUCH cheaper chips to do multichannel receivers. Rather then use individual tuners for each channel. They just capture the entire spectrum at once and then do math on the WHOLE SPECTRUM and remove the signals mathematically. The tuners are mathematical rather then physical. This is VERY different from previous designs. Its cheaper to make, lower power, less part count ( cheaper to make ) and allows any number of channels to be tuned at the same time across the entire spectrum.

HOWEVER.. Doing all this serious math in a DC-1.2Ghz wide signal with thousands of signals on it + noise requires massive computational power. This math has to be done at a stunning rate per second. Then the resulting signals get decoded and fed to another chip.

This whole process, patents galore, has a down side obviously. It takes time to do it all. LATENCY.. This time to do it all varies widely each time it does FSC sample. So this varies widely per second. As the signals and noise change, the decoding time changes as it is harder/easier to find, demux, clean and decode signals. This introduces jitter.

So.. There is no way to lower the latency of this process without using incredible processing power and tons of power. It would also become horridly expensive. So there is no way around a huge increase in latency. That appears to be what im seeing in the above measurements.

Same thing for latency jitter. A cleaner signal with less distortion and noise will lower jitter from this technology, but it will ALWAYS be present.

Soooooo....

((** I have been corrected that it may indeed be mostly the Intel Puma6 chip thats the issue NOT the Max Linear technology. I cant isolate the 2 so I cant verify that. But it seems likely. So the below might be wrong **))

The entire technology these chips are based on is flawed for home modem use and will introduce massive latency increases and jitter. You gain more profit as the box is cheaper to make and it draws less power. it can also handle a huge number of bonded channels at once. So you can boast speed.

This technology should be avoided for home browsing and gaming use. Its fine for one way applications like sat rcvrs and cable TV boxes. Its a bad idea for 2 way boxes that are latency and jitter sensitive.

I have reached out to Max Linear in email about this issue. But I think its safe to say that products based on "Full-Spectrum Capture" will inherently add unwanted and significant latency and jitter in ways no previous technology has.

Full-Spectrum Capture

chris_c21
join:2015-04-02
Tucson, AZ

chris_c21 to xymox1

to xymox1
I don't seem to have the 250ms spikes like you, my ping sticks right around 70ms, which is higher than I remember in game. I did also notice a delay in normal web browsing after I upgraded from my SB6141 to this 6190. Was almost considering trying to sell this and switch to a Netgear CM600.

Do you have any experience with that one?

xymox1
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

2 edits

xymox1

Premium Member

get the SB6183 and a good router. Use a wired connection. The 6183 is the best way to interface to cable.

Also the 250ms spikes are so short they will only effect a single keystroke. So unless you use good testing like I did you wont normally see them. BUT you will feel them as when you press a key, it might take 1/4 second longer for only that one keystroke. Its random and pretty serious cuz its sneaky.
xymox1

2 edits

xymox1

Premium Member

((** I have been corrected that it may indeed be mostly the Intel Puma6 chip thats the issue NOT the Max Linear technology. I cant isolate the 2 so I cant verify that. But it seems likely. So the below might be wrong **)) The issue is real, but it looks more like blaming Intel is the proper course.

MaxLinear Full Spectrum Capture technology used in this modem is TERRIBLE for gaming..

Im not joking This technology is HORRENDOUS for gaming. It produces random 200ms+ jumps in latency for single keystrokes.

Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

4 edits

2 recommendations

Datalink

Premium Member

Welcome to the Puma 6 users club. Nice to see someone else take a serious look at this. That latency is typical of Puma 6/6-MG modems and gateways, and this particular chipset is used by a number of manufacturers and ISPs as a result. Your SB6190 has an Intel Puma 6 chipset, as seen by the "DHCE2604 11L543C679SR299" imprinting. Thats the first time that I've seen the 2604 designation, but that appears to fit in with the Puma 6 line. Its paired with the MaxLinear MXL268 tuner, which is also common:

»www.maxlinear.com/maxlin ··· eceiver/

Have a look at the following post which will hopefully provide enough details to flush out your theories. Fwiw, the latency is due to the packet processing thru the Puma 6 CPU, instead of the Hardware Accelerator/Processor:

»communityforums.rogers.c ··· 6#M36956

Also fwiw, ping the modem's Default Gateway Address and the CMTS address which is the first address to show up in a trace to anywhere when you have the modem connected directly to the pc. Back off on the ping rate, one ping per second or two is sufficient to see this. Using multiple pings per second might result in rate limiting by the CMTS which will cloud the issue and inject packet loss which is due to the rate limiting, not to any connection issue between the modem and CMTS. There are two issues on the go here, the latency to the modem which you can see by pinging the modem, and the latency thru the modem, which you can see by pinging the CMTS. There are other issues with a Puma 6/6MG chipset, but those are probably the worst for the average user.

I doubt that MaxLinear knows anything about this. All they do is supply the tuner. What happens after the tuner, they probably wouldn't care about. By now I would say that Intel certainly does know about this.
Datalink

2 recommendations

Datalink to chris_c21

Premium Member

to chris_c21
@chris_c21, your SB6141 is a Puma 5 chipset modem. The 6190 is a Puma 6 modem. It would probably be strange to see the additional latency by just web browsing. Gaming or running some other latency intolerant application would see the difference. Several people have switched to the CM600 and reported that they were very satisfied with the reduction in latency with the CM600, as in back to normal.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

1 edit

xymox1

Premium Member

Good to know im not crazy...

Well then im sorry to the MaxLinear guys I will correct my post.

So its a Intel issue.

As my pings have never been rate limited to the CMTS over 8 years, at 3 per seconds, I think im OK. I can do 10 per second and they still come out OK but that starts to stress out the computer and multiping. You actually really do need this fine temporal detail to see the fine 250ms+ spikes in latency. You miss them with 1 sec pings.

This puma6 stuff is very bad. I will do more research. Thanks.

I set multiping to the smallest packet size and 0 delay between pings. You must type in .3 or .1 into the drop box to get below 1 sec on multiping. And yep anyone wanting to reproduce what im doing you do a tracert from a cmd prompt to someplace like google.com and the first stop out that responds ( besides yourself ) is the CMTS.

I would caution tho that Cox might get angry if you ping them at this rate for too long. So. Be nice and only ping at this rate when doing testing.

i have edited all my above posts to more blame Intel Puma6. I will need to find the person directly responsibe for this Puma6 chip program and email them the link to this thread
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

Datalink, so the Max Linear is just a digital filter chip ? it seems like its doing more ? If its just a wideband digital filter,, then this is all Intel's fault. I want to be sure to assign blame for this as its really bad..

Why companies like Arris have gotten in bed with this clearly dysfunctional chip needs to be addressed.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1

[Modem] Re: [ALL] SB6190 is a terrible modem - Intel Puma 6 / MaxLinear mistake

Very interesting sets of stats. Thanks for sharing!

Just another point to add - Not only home, but BUSINESS use. Don't forget that coax can (and does) also service businesses!

I bought one of these, blindly, off the shelf at a local store thinking "it's an 'almost Moto,' and it has the higher channel count in case we get 24-32 channels here..."

After some research (and posting here!), I returned it for the 6183, as that was also on the "supported" list of Business Service modems.

You know what? ...We're actually "just fine" with that 6183 unit.
We have a few hundred users. The thing actually keeps up, and keeps up quite well, I must say. Had thought about the Netgear 24ch. modem (CM600) but it wasn't on "the list" so I stuck with a 16ch. model.

"..They just capture the entire spectrum at once and then do math on the WHOLE SPECTRUM ..."

That is a very interesting approach, but you'd be correct in saying that it's one which would require a rather impressive chip behind it to do the heavy lifting. Maybe, just maybe, someday, a really good ASIC could do this, but why bother? It's quite obvious that a "dedicated" tuner has already pretty much been proven to be "the way" to do this, right? Even with 3.1, it would probably still be "the way" to do it.

For some users, perhaps they won't notice or care. It does technically work, just not as well as 99% of other 3.0 modems out there. For a non-technical person, who doesn't know any better about any of it, if it's working, it's working.
Still, they really should can this model and let the stock run out.
TheWobbler
join:2010-07-24

TheWobbler

It's too bad Cablelabs doesn't need to take pictures or tests for DOCSIS certification. One of the first things I do when buying a router is looking at the internal FCC pictures. Consumer devices are designed to be flashy and get the users attention, but the real goods are inside. If the inside of the device looks like shit, chances are the device is shit.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

4 edits

2 recommendations

Datalink to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1

@xymox1, consider this as food for thought.

»www.theinquirer.net/inqu ··· and-chip

That article dates back to May 2012. Ballparking the dates, that would put development of the Puma 6 / 6-MG chipset to somewhere around 2010, with sampling around early 2011. The ealiest date that I can find for a Puma 6 product is the Arris TG1672G in 2012. That is a 16x4 product. Maybe there were other products out sooner than that?

Consider the date on the Maxlinear announcement for the 32 channel receiver:

»www.maxlinear.com/maxlin ··· eceiver/

Sept 2014. That would put development finishing around late 2012, sampling in 2013, and production around 2014.

So, the Puma 6 / 6MG chipset is apparently designed to accept different MaxLinear receivers, starting initially with a 16 channel receiver in 2011/2012. If my speculation on the dates is anywhere near correct, that means that a 32 channel receiver wasn't available for testing for another year, perhaps even two years. I would also speculate that a 32 channel CMTS might not have been available either.

Initially with 16 channels running, the CPU probably has enough horsepower to get the job done without showing any latency. I suspect that someone, somewhere, made the decision not to pursue any development of the firmware that would be required to route the data packets through the Hardware Accelerator/Processor. There probably didn't appear to be any need to do that at the time so it was either never pursued, or it was dropped. Why spend resources, money and time on something that isn't required?

Well, fast forward two to three years, and now the 32 channel receiver arrives on scene, doubling the required processing. And guess what, now you see the latency that occurs when you process the packets thru a CPU based software process. Now is probably the time that the ability to route through the Hardware Accelerator/Processor is required, and ...... its not available.

I would speculate that the SDK that the various modem companies use is probably the same, which would explain why all of these modems suffer from the same symptons, no matter who manufactures them. So, further development is required to get the job done. Now however the product is a mature product, so to speak. Intel has already developed the Puma 7 chipset and its in production. Maybe the Puma 8 & 9 chipsets are in development? Looking back at the 2010/2011 timeframe and the personel that developed the chipset, I wonder if those individuals are even still with Intel. If they are, they have most likely moved on, so now someone else would have to go in, learn how the chipset operates and develop whatever firmware is required. Having seen that in operation before, I know that its not that easy to do.

So, who's to blame? Probably no one. The chipset was developed and tested with the receivers and CMTS equipment that were available at that time, and at that time, maybe it ran perfectly. Fast forward to today, and end users can see the latency issue with the 32 channel receiver onboard. Did anyone go back and test the chipset with that receiver onboard? Thats the interesting question. Cable Labs and the Wifi Alliance test the modems and certify them for correct operation in their specific areas, but, from what I can see, there doesn't appear to be any test agency that will put a device through its paces, testing all of the end user IPV4 and IPV6 protocols through the device, looking for standards adherence and throughput capability and issues. If that was done, I think this would be been detected long ago. Derived from that testing would be a report, which would show the test results. With that on hand, it would be pretty simple to determine which modems do it right, and with respectable throughput, and which one's don't. Cablelabs would probably be the ideal place to do this as you need the CMTS test capability as well. But, that's just a personal opinion.

One final point to remember, its not just Arris. Hitron and Cisco also use these chipsets and no doubt there are probably more. There's at least a dozen ISPs if not more across North and South America and Europe that use the final products in their many different variations. So, that adds up to a lot of unhappy end users as well as a good number of users who aren't techie enough to understand that they have a problem, whether they know it or not.

As I said at the top, food for thought.......
djc6
Premium Member
join:2007-11-28
Rocky River, OH

1 recommendation

djc6 to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1

How does one switch easily between modems to A/B test? Do you call Cox and supply MAC address every time you swap?

I have an SB6190 that replaced an SB6182. Only 8x4 but curious to see results.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1
Interesting reading. I guess I am left with the question, is this something that can be fixed or alleviated with the firmware or not? I am guessing not based on what I'm reading.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

2 edits

Datalink

Premium Member

Yes and No. Yes: a firmware change has been shown to drastically improve IPv4 ICMP ping times. No: IPV6 ICMP, IPv4 & IPv6 TCP/IP, UDP, FTP, and every other protocol has yet to been seen. Hopefully just a matter of time. Unfortunately this can't be done in one single revision. Its turning out to be a step by step process. Have a look at the following post for the before and after firmware change comparison for IPv4 ICMP. This is for a Hitron CGNM-3552 32x8 modem running in 32x3 at the moment.

»communityforums.rogers.c ··· 6#M36956

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

1 edit

xymox1

Premium Member

"How does one switch easily between modems to A/B test? Do you call Cox and supply MAC address every time you swap?"

Yep. Thats exactly what you do.. Cox is fine with doing this they tell me. They keep them in the system so its a pretty much a single click for support.

" is this something that can be fixed or alleviated with the firmware or not? "

Im guessing not. Or even if so, I dont think they would want to go thru the expense ? Maybe ?

Datalink.... Wow... i have so much respect for someone who knows what they are doing.

A do think someone is to blame. In my case Arris. The box alone is cause for concern. 1.4Gbps ? Not possible in any way with a 1Gpbs ethernet cable. I blame them right away for misleading statements. Surely they have ways to test latency and latency jitter in house ? I can do it with free software.

Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

1 recommendation

Datalink

Premium Member

"1.4Gbps" I suspect thats the max throughput including overhead. Take away the overhead and the max that you might see is 1 Gb/s. More likely somewhere around 940 to 960 Mb/s.
TheWobbler

TheWobbler to xymox1

to xymox1
said by xymox1:

They keep them in the system so its a pretty much a single click for support.

Just FYI, swapping between a stand alone modem and anything that has telephone function (eMTA or eMTA gateway) is more complicated. The devices will have a telephone and data occurrence, and removing the telephone occurrence from a eMTA will sometimes (most times?) delete everything related to your phone system (voicemail, call history, etc). I only mention this because the TG2472 is a popular phone/internet gateway and I have seen users have issues swapping between it and other modems. CSR's seem to always forget to re-add the telephone occurrence.

Also, is it possible the issues with the SB6190 is because it has the ability to use so many downstream channels? It's like adding a bigger antenna for OTA, yea you get more signal but you also get more noise. I think the chip inside is supposed to help with that, but doesn't. So IMO the issue is general ingress issues on those channels between 16 and 32 and a firmware issue that causes latency gaps while the modem experiences issues on one of it's downstream channels. I think that is why only certain people in some areas have the problem with the SB6190.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

4 edits

1 recommendation

xymox1

Premium Member

[Modem] SB6190 is a terrible modem - Intel Puma 6 / MaxLinear mistake

32 bonded is 1372 IE 1.4 Gbps. . Never mind the ethernet port... Or overhead.. They should just add the 32 down and 8 up together ! 1.6 Gbps !!!

We do need modems and routers with SFP+ ports tho.. Its that or 10Gb Ethernet. At least dual bondable 1Gbps ethernet ports.

Sir Wobbler. Yea more channels = more noise, more processing, more decoding, more everything. More CPU use..

" I think that is why only certain people in some areas have the problem with the SB6190."

I would argue they all have this issue to some degree. But few have really looked correctly. I think Multiping to the first hop out and set for smallest packets and a rate of .3 will expose that all these have that issue to some degree. You are 100% right tho, the issue will for sure get worse with channels times noise and all sorts of other factors. When the CPU has to work harder. For example, if you put one on a 16x4 system maybe its almost no issue. I think Datalink really nailed it. The CPU is old and key features were not enabled and now we see the CPU struggling and causing latency and jitter. A Puma 7 would have been a better choice. I see a SB6193 in our future.

"swapping between a stand alone modem and anything that has telephone function (eMTA or eMTA gateway) is more complicated. "

I would get a modem separate from the emta. This is a legal and supported option. Being stuck under a emta sucks. You have far less choices. You just buy a modem or router and call Cox and tell them you want both at once. You will need a coax splitter and short coax cables. I know 4 people who have done this and cant live any other way now.

wistlo
join:2003-01-04
New Orleans, LA

wistlo to xymox1

to xymox1

Wow. Good work.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Datalink

Premium Member

to Datalink

So essentially the "fix" is moving the data packet processing from software down to the hardware accelerator? If so I'm curious why they didn't opt to use it from the start.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

1 edit

Datalink

Premium Member

My guess is that there didn't appear to be any need to do that at the time. If there was any latency that could be seen, maybe it was considered to be negligible. Just guessing. It is however a very good question. That leads into the Puma 7 which is in production. That SOC also has a Hardware Accelerator. I'm wondering if the same mistake has been made?
TheWobbler

TheWobbler to xymox1

to xymox1

[Modem] Re: SB6190 is a terrible modem - Intel Puma 6 / MaxLinear mistake

said by xymox1:

I would get a modem separate from the emta.

I would recommend this too, but sometimes signal strength is a issue. See my recent thread for example. Using two modems means splitting the coaxial signal to both. Also, by not having data provisioned to the eMTA, the web access is disabled, stopping anyone from checking it's diagnostics or resetting the device. This is useful since some still have batteries and the reset button is hard to get to if the modem is out of the way. However my main warning was for people switching back and forth between a SB6190 and a eMTA for testing purposes. If you have any important voicemails, I would suggest saving them to your computer before calling Cox to do any swap.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1

I have the SB6190 and just recently went from 12d to 24d. I have noticed a little bit more spiking on ping tracks but haven't heard any complaints from the kid that is a heavy gamer. I can definitely tell something is odd glad to see someone get to the bottom of it though! Kinda crappy that I passed up the CM600 since this one had 32d, was trying to future proof myself a bit. Now I'm stuck trying to sell this modem and spend more money on a CM600. Damn technology! Wish they would just fix the issue.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1
There's a lot more info on this here:
»Ping spikes - DG2470; SB6190; Requesting metrics for troubleshooting

It sounded like they were working on updated firmware months ago? Still not resolved? That would make me worry that it's not fixable in firmware.

Fortunately I saw this post BEFORE I bought my 6183, coming from a DG1670A with a similar latency spike problem. It made the choice to save money and not pay extra to future-proof real easy.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

3 recommendations

Datalink

Premium Member

Just to make it clear, there are two issues going on in that thread, the LAN side ping issue, which is the ping time to the modem, and the WAN side issue, the ping time thru the modem which xymox1 has shown in his pingplotter results. Understand one thing however, its not just ping times thru the modem that are affected, its everything, ICMP, TCP/IP, UDP, etc, etc. The update that was issued for the 6190 fixes the ping time to the web server, 192.168.100.1. That does not fix the ping time to the modem's gateway IP address or the processing latency thru the modem.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

2 recommendations

xymox1

Premium Member

I admit im proud to have brought this to the forefront. i know that MaxLinear, Arris and Broadcom have all looked at this thread. It helps that i sent links to the right people. My intent with the post and emails was to call attention to this issue because we cant let S P E E D be the blinding only factor in marketing set top boxes. latency and latency jitter are also serious, and maybe even more serious concerns. It could even be a new way to differentiate a product.

Ive done more real life testing. This effects DNS. Thats what causing simple browsing to judder in its page flipping. Randonmly a DNS look up that would take 20ms from Cox is taking 200ms. You can percieve a 1/4 second. If you get 2 or 3 of these spikes in a cluster on one page load its gonna stutter looking up those 3 DNS hits. Its also effecting TCP setup times too.

Hyper low latency does wonders for DNS as it does just establishing TCP connections to the gateway. These effects are real and can be easily seen by just browsing the web. Once cached the DNS look ups and TCP become a non issue. So its real obvious on first time page loads.

Casually I would say that for a normal user experience, page load speed is way more important then 1.4Gbps speeds. Latency is what to focus on FIRST. For a normal user they will never use 300Mbs let alone 700 or 1400Mbs. My router has usage charts and keeps track of peaks. In 6 months ive never used more then 27Mbs at any time. But I am a single person in the apt. Speed is just a meaningless marketing number that now means nothing.

Routers have meaningless number like this too. Home router say they do gigabit. Ummm, no... With NAT on and say Statefull Inspection firewall they will be really lucky to do 200Mbs with 64 byte packets. A LOT of traffic is 64Byte traffic.

Even with a real router with 36 cores doing 1.2Ghz on the cpu you barely get past 1.5Gbps with 64 byte packets, NAT and some firewall rules. I could claim my router does 27Gbps tho. It depends on the test. See the bottom of this page. There are real, standardized, performance tests for routers, see bottom of that same page. But consumer router mfgrs avoid this testing at all costs and claim the biggest number they can fabricate. Like the 1.4Gbps on the of the Arris SB6190 box. This fixation on SPEED above everything else, real life performance be damned, needs to be addressed.

For example what spped can the SB6190 really do ? Well,,, for sure not 1.4Gbps, ahahahah..

I am glad to bring these issues to the attention of management at Arris, MaxLinear and Broadcom. Intel does not seem to care. So. Im hopeless there. But Arris might care. So they can maybe bring pressure on Intel.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to xymox1

to xymox1
So what options do we have? This isn't the first post calling out the Intel Puma6/6190 for latency issues that I've seen here.
Netgear CM600/700? I'd really prefer not to give Netgear another penny due to their business practices, regardless of what chipset they use.

Take out the 6190, and the netgears - yes the 6183 is out there - is that the best STABLE modem available these days?
mharris1984
join:2016-07-06
Glendale, AZ
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-PRO

mharris1984 to xymox1

to xymox1
Nice investigating! I finally gave up on my 6190 after 8 months of headaches... I just switched to a CM600... I've always used Motorola/Aris modems for the past 13 years... 6190 was such a huge headache and disappointment, that I moved on. Cox has 32 channels active and I want to use it, but no other modem offers 32 channels.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

4 edits

1 recommendation

Datalink to bchandler02

Premium Member

to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

So what options do we have? This isn't the first post calling out the Intel Puma6/6190 for latency issues that I've seen here.

Yup, I've been posting about this issue for a few weeks now as have others. The problem with determining the issue is the lack of contact with the engineering community of your ISP. If you're fortunate to have that, you can obtain some straight answers to the problem, to the point where this makes sense, and to the point where you can see the results yourself by involving yourself in firmware testing. The front end tech support staff and field techs, as well meaning as they might be, can't help, as this is an engineering issue that requires sorting out. Hats off to xymox1 for posting the results of his testing on the 6190. I absolutely agree that Latency should be a major consideration, along with throughput. It would be great if an organization such as CableLabs expanded its testing beyond DOCSIS certification. What about the other side of the modem?

The best option? Maybe wait for the next generation Broadcom chip to show up in a modem:

»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· -chipset

Thats from last year, so I expect these to start showing up in modems fairly soon. Its possible that ISPs have these on hand for inhouse testing at the present time.

»www.broadcom.com/press/r ··· =s951482

»www.fudzilla.com/news/39 ··· is-ready