spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Not Dead Yet
join:2016-08-29

1 edit

Not Dead Yet

Pick 'n Pay TV

Dec 1st is here. Pick 'n Pay TV implementation day.

Absolutely nothing on the Rogers TV page. Looks like Rogers thinks it doesn't apply to them.

Bell has a 'A la Carte' link at the bottom of theirs. Of course Bell has made a mockery of Pick 'n Pay. $4 to $7 per channel like anyone is going to shell out $7/month plus tax to watch CNN or the CBC News Network.

Bell is also selling 10 channels for $20 but the channel choices/availability is extremely limited.

Good thing the CRTC only renewed their broadcast licenses for 1 year. The way these clowns are acting it looks like the CRTC will be kept busy on Pick 'n Pay TV for months to come.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

Shaw has gone with $3 per channel: »www.shaw.ca/television/c ··· and-pay/
(more for premium channels)

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to Not Dead Yet

Premium Member

to Not Dead Yet
said by Not Dead Yet:

Absolutely nothing on the Rogers TV page. Looks like Rogers thinks it doesn't apply to them.

I'm able to pick channels just fine? Looks like the average price is $4. HGTV is $7 (LMFAO).

Are you referring to the public site or the account page? Either way, logg into MyRogers I can select channels a la carte.
bop75
join:2013-11-08

bop75 to AJ102

to AJ102
said by AJ102:

Not knowing what the wife would want. My bill would be $9 a month, if I lived in the up north place.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
The Bell offerings are abysmal

I don't even mind spending $4 for a channel, but anything worthwhile is $7 and even then the best channels are not even offered.

They're sending another middle finger to the CRTC

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

15 recommendations

milnoc

Fine. I'll simply remain a cord cutter, and continue to encourage people to cut the cord.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

2 recommendations

ekster to Not Dead Yet

Premium Member

to Not Dead Yet
They can't have their ARPU go down, it's against the holy commandments of Canadian Telecoms. They rather lose more customers and have the remaining few paying more than have higher customer count and a higher profit with a lower ARPU. So of course they will price it so that 10 channels will cost you $60+ and then whine when more people cut the cord.

Not Dead Yet

1 recommendation

Not Dead Yet

It's official. Pick 'n Pay is just another consumer rip off. »www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· .3875187
XRobellus
join:2015-10-22

1 recommendation

XRobellus to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
How is Zazeem able to offer reasonable prices on pick-n-play channels and Robellus not? Robellus price gouging can be quantified through their price difference with Zazeen.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

5 recommendations

ekster

Premium Member

Zazeen doesn't have an army of lawyers to feed and a fleet of gold yachts to maintain.

stupidmonkey
join:2009-01-18
North York, ON

1 recommendation

stupidmonkey to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
Wow, somebody call the newspapers we have a story here. Another initiative by CRTC designed to encourage competition and consumer choice goes down in flames. Who could have foreseen this fiasco.

IMO, the CRTC should be abolished, the government needs to step back and do everything in its power to increase true competition in the telecomm industry, not protect a few privileged companies through the bloated bureaucracy that is the CRTC.

Television as we know it is dying. Its unlikely that today's generation who have grown up watching streamed content on the Internet will pay 100+ dollars a month for Cable or Satellite service from the likes of Rogers or Bell.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
Nothing on Rogers page? I was looking at it last night... it's a joke

»www.rogers.com/consumer/ ··· channels

TuxFan
join:2016-02-12
Zazeen

1 recommendation

TuxFan to stupidmonkey

to stupidmonkey
When I saw some of the channel pricing by certain players on the market, I "produced" enough bricks to build an entire subdivision Yes, we make a reasonable profit on most of our add-ons (I think the only exception are the sports channels where we're at a break even point due to the pricing negotiated by the content owners), but we still price our add-ons to encourage our clients to get the content that they wish to see.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

3 recommendations

sbrook

Mod

The companies are pricing to encourage people to cut the cord! Absolutely. I can spend virtually the same as I do now and get far less. The CRTC says "We don't regulate retail price" ... but they're supposed to protect the Canadian consumer from monopolies in the Telecom sector!

yesman85
join:2015-01-19
T4C0T2

yesman85 to AJ102

to AJ102
said by AJ102:

But where are the sports channels? Again just a line up of mediocre channels that nobody cares about.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

And some of the group deals on channels are ridiculous ... described as Theme Packs on Rogers. Since when is BBC Canada an "Adventure" channel? Who dreams this stuff up? It should be "buy 6 channels get one free" and "buy 9 get 2 free", not these stupid theme packs.

Not Dead Yet

1 edit

1 recommendation

Not Dead Yet to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

Nothing on Rogers page? I was looking at it last night... it's a joke

»www.rogers.com/consumer/ ··· channels

Agreed.

I was expecting Rogers to do the right thing and openly promote and display their Pick 'n Pay channels and packages similar to what Shaw has done. Front and center for all to see. Not bury them inside links that lead to a page list that fails to work properly 9 out of 10 times.

A guy in the CBC article comments found that Rogers has made 10.2 BILLION in profits so far in 2016 and yet everything about the way Rogers does business is based on smoke, mirrors, deception and thievery. Great way to Thank the Rogers customers that made these ridiculous profits possible.

Even Bell surprisingly had the decency to post a Pick 'n Pay 'A la Carte' button on their TV channel package page.

The bottom feeders at Rogers keep setting records for how low they keep setting the business model bar.

Let's hope the CRTC sends a message and yanks Rogers broadcast license at the end of 2016. Even a temporary license suspension would do more for Canadian consumers than has been done in the last 10 years worth of CRTC hearings and decisions.

zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to yesman85

to yesman85
said by yesman85:

said by AJ102:

But where are the sports channels? Again just a line up of mediocre channels that nobody cares about.

I noticed that too. They don't have the sports channels sold seperately, so you can just add Sportsnet or TSN you have to buy the bundles which include all the sportsnet channels plus a few extra or all the TSN channels plus a few extras. Wierd.

In regards to the rest of this thread. I think most of us saw it coming. A La Carte has less people watching each channel (as you don't have a bunch people subscribing to channels they don't watch). Bundling causes everyone to subsidize everyone else's viewing habits. It's not like the TV channels want to take hit so in order to keep trucking a long they'd have to charge more in a la carte than in a bundle.

I also agree the industry is doomed. I don't know why the CRTC put's effort into trying to prolong it's demise. TV is a recreational thing. Let people choose with their wallets. It really doesn't need government interference, it'll crash and burn fine all on it's own
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
10.2 billion in revenue in the past 3 quarters... less than a billion in profits on 13.3 billion revenue last year
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
I like how some channels are in SD quality mostly international or so called international , and they charge an arm and a leg.

I think we should make a poll to see how fast these individual prices will start rising.. and when the first price increase will happen.. maybe bell will blame the low loonie or something

Anon4641f
@allstream.net

Anon4641f

Anon

I was expecting $1-$2 per channel max if buying 20 channels or so. So anyone know who do we complain so the crtic can start yanking licenses. I mean $18 to just get 1 TSN channel? Really?

CP24 is $7 but if you get a package deal with like 8 channels it is $5 for ALL 8 channels?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Anon5e9eb :

The Shaw 10 pack on the skinny seems not bad at $2 per channel or $20.

I'd buy that .... over a Rogers cable link.

Maybe Rogers should negotiate a 'wholesale' arrangement with Shaw to be their supplier of TV services.

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
Happy fucking birthday.

Anon3ad49
@start.ca

1 recommendation

Anon3ad49 to Anon4641f

Anon

to Anon4641f
said by Anon4641f :

I was expecting $1-$2 per channel max if buying 20 channels or so. So anyone know who do we complain so the crtic can start yanking licenses. I mean $18 to just get 1 TSN channel? Really?

CP24 is $7 but if you get a package deal with like 8 channels it is $5 for ALL 8 channels?

Right?

On your one example alone they thumb their noses at the CRTC, because the CRTC does not regulate retail pricing. That's the incumbents shamelessly saying "fuck you".

Thank Gawd for "The New CRTC". Protecting consumers! Yeah baby!

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

The CRTC COULD regulate pricing if they felt it was for the betterment of Canadian telecoms. This is why they deregulated phones which has on the one hand improved phone rates but Bell took advantage but the other hand stole our money in monthly fees.

For some crazy reason they think there's adequate "competition" in the TV arena and that we have adequate choice. Since when ... it's one frying pan or another frying pan, or a sauce pan which doesn't cook as well as we might like!

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

lleader to Anon4641f

to Anon4641f
said by Anon4641f :

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

We need the CRTC to come up with some rule such as the total of all the individual prices in any package cannot exceed the package price by some percentage, say 20%.
bobnoxe
join:2015-03-30
fiji

bobnoxe to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

The companies are pricing to encourage people to cut the cord! Absolutely. I can spend virtually the same as I do now and get far less. The CRTC says "We don't regulate retail price" ... but they're supposed to protect the Canadian consumer from monopolies in the Telecom sector!

That was some spokesmole, I'm sure Blais will have something to say, considering they only got one year renewals.
bobnoxe

bobnoxe to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

10.2 billion in revenue in the past 3 quarters... less than a billion in profits on 13.3 billion revenue last year

Creative accounting. Just like they "lost" money for decades.

reviep
join:2002-06-14
Guelph, ON

1 recommendation

reviep to Not Dead Yet

to Not Dead Yet
The highly touted reason for keeping cable is sports and live TV, which unfortunately is still a need for our household. Starter from Rogers ($25) + TSN ($18) + Sportsnet ($18) = $61. Add a couple (as in TWO) specialty channels for my wife and daughter (Food, HGTV) adds $14. So now I am up to $75, the cost of their Popular package which includes the above channels but also so much more of what I don't want and will never watch. Thank you Rogers for all of this "choice".
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf to yesman85

to yesman85
said by yesman85:

I couldn't care less about sports channels, and actually would be quite happy with the lineup Shaw's offering.

I can get most of those channels on Zazeen for less, mind you.