By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - December 9, 2016
»tvpredictions.com/comcas ··· 0916.htm
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

I could look at this month's bill online today, and the 2017 price changes notification for my area was included. Here are some of the pages.
telcodad

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Karl has a news item up about this now: »Comcast Confirms TV & Internet Price Hikes Up to 3.8% [61] comments

EDIT: Also on Ars Technica now: »arstechnica.com/informat ··· er-year/
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

7 recommendations

rody_44 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Price hikes for 2017

Hell 5.49 for a digital adapter. Thats a 20 dollar box. This shit is getting ridiculous.
I need to take this up with our new president and see if something cant be done about this.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
New DTA charges for 2017

Actually the rental charge for a DTA (and its remote) is only $0.50 a month.

The $5.49/month charge is the extra "Digital Adapter Outlet" service fee, for a total of $5.99 a month for each DTA now.

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Re: [Price] Price hikes for 2017

The "freedom" region.
Is that some kind of joke after hiking the price?
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

I realized the new price of the broadcast fee is now only 1 dollar less than Hulu. Since some of the base rate also includes the cost to transmit the ova channels, at this point Comcast is more expensive than Hulu when it comes to broadcast content. All you are missing is cbs and cw and cw is available for free through their app.

So bottom line is despite their huge size, Comcast is basically saying it's more expensive for them to transmit these channels than it is for Hulu and you also get other content as part of the Hulu subscription.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross to telcodad

MVM

to telcodad
Saw the price changes in my latest bill. Unlike previous lists, this one only lists the new prices, other than a summary at the front for some common ones. Older bills had two columns for old and new.

For me, the changes are:
Broadcast Fee: +$2 ($5 --> $7)
Sports Fee: +$2 ($3 --> $5)
DTA: +$2 ($3.99 --> $5.99)
Digital Preferred: No change
HD Tech: No change
DVR: No change
Performance HSI: +$9 ($55.95 --> $64.95) There is no longer a discount for having video service. What a ripoff, especially since I still only have 25/5!!!!!! (Blast! also goes up a nosebleed $9). It's obvious they don't want cord cutters.

This will put me just under $200, depending on how much taxes go up, or if I missed something.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

3 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by andyross:

DTA: +$2 ($3.99 --> $5.99)

Isn't that just incredible? A limited-functionality DTA priced just $4 less now than a full-featured STB ($9.99/mo).

A DTA can only decrypt the lower-tier channels (not the many Preferred-level or Premium ones that I like to watch).

It can't work with On-Demand.

It has a limited On-screen guide (the reason given for boosting the cost with the last hike).

I remember it was not long ago, with the digital transition, that the first few were no charge, and then went up to $1.99 a month: »[Price] DTA price increase for 2015

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

2 recommendations

mikedz4

just wait in 2018 they will cost as much as a full size box probably.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by mikedz4:

just wait in 2018 they will cost as much as a full size box probably.

No, they'll just raise the fee for a full STB then.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

4 recommendations

onebadmofo to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
How is this news? Comcast raises their prices EVERY year. It's a given that it's going to happen.

If they wanna impress people, LOWER the damned prices.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
The only way Comcast will get the message? Cut or trim the cord. Make an impact on their wallet. Return boxes you dont use.
If you have other HSI options, take them. If you don't, trim TV/Phone back to the minimum and use alternatives.

While Comcast is working hard to inflate the cost of plain HSI, they are not quite there yet.

I went OTA + ADSL2 + POTS and I do not regret it. Cut the telecom/cable bill in half. Some sacrifices had to be made in terms of ease of use, speed, luxury, but it all works. I pull some great channels with a Clearstream 2V antenna, re-using some old abandoned DirecTV coax on the deck to meet up with the in-wall RG-6. Can't beat $0/mo for TV (well, +$25 for SlingTV), $55/mo for HSI/POTS over Verizon's ancient ex-Bell System network; it works, it isn't fast at 7Mbps, but its "enough" if that makes sense. Perhaps I will try getting VZ to bump the circuit to 10Mbps, but that is a topic for another subforum.

Those of you in areas with ILEC competition of some sort (FTTP/VDSL2, even higher-speed ADSL2) should consider it.

Worst case? In 6 months you come back to Comcast on their "new-customer" pricing that is less egregious. I do miss how "easy" it is to just fire up the X1 and go to channels or make recordings without figuring out ever changing time tables. But it isn't worth the extra $50-60+ in monthly cost.

nightwalker
Nightwalker
join:1999-08-07
Chicago, IL
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

nightwalker to telcodad

to telcodad
Click for full size
Chicago, had similar price increases.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Looks like some HSI tiers got cheaper in Chicago. Performance alone went down $2.00, Extreme 150 went down to $89.95 from $129.95.

$12 total for the Broadcast TV and Regional Sports fee is crazy.
logger
join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY

logger to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

The only way Comcast will get the message? Cut or trim the cord. Make an impact on their wallet. Return boxes you dont use.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter to Comcast that I cut the cord. I had been a customer for decades of the cable system that serves my address. The previous owners of the system provided satisfactory service. Comcast acquired the system, provided unsatisfactory service, and lost me as a customer years ago.
Shabby610
join:2016-12-13
Minneapolis, MN
ZyXEL C3000Z
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

Shabby610 to telcodad

to telcodad
Click for full size
Here is what I got in my latest bill (Minneapolis/St. Paul area).

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross to Zenit_IIfx

MVM

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

Looks like some HSI tiers got cheaper in Chicago. Performance alone went down $2.00, Extreme 150 went down to $89.95 from $129.95.

$12 total for the Broadcast TV and Regional Sports fee is crazy.

The reduction is for users that do not also have TV service. If you have TV service, it goes UP $9. By far the biggest increase ever. After being $42.95 for nearly 10 years (I started HSI in 2003), it has gone up $1-$2/year.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: Price hikes for 2017

What else is new? Right?

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion to telcodad

MVM

to telcodad

Interesting slant on the price hike:

»consumerist.com/2016/12/ ··· g-up-50/

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

3 recommendations

telcodad to YukonHawk

MVM

to YukonHawk

BTW - Don't be surprised if you hear about a news director of a Chicago TV station that's suddenly looking for a new job. LOL!

Comcast-Owned Station Asks If Cable Bills Are Too High
WMAQ in Chicago covers report on cutting pay-TV costs

By Jon Lafayette, Broadcasting & Cable - December 14, 2016
»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· h/161805
quote:
During its late newscast Tuesday, WMAQ-TV, the NBC station in Chicago, teased a story by asking viewers if they think they’re paying too much for cable TV.

The question was especially provocative considering WMAQ and NBC are owned by cable giant Comcast, which serves the Chicago market.

The report covered a survey and report by the Citizens Utility Board, a consumer group focused on cutting utility bills, that found that 51% of consumers felt their pay-TV bill was too high and that 32% said they didn’t pay for TV. ...
SArcanine
join:2009-11-09
New York

SArcanine to telcodad

to telcodad

"Fastest, most reliable in-home WiFi"

That is made by Ruckus. Did they form a partnership or are they lying?

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to telcodad

to telcodad

Ha!! You might be right about that. I think he just committed career suicide.
Corporate
join:2014-10-04

1 recommendation

Corporate to telcodad

to telcodad

$74.95/month for Performance 25?!

Verizon FiOS 150/150 is 69.99/month for six times the speed.

Never thought that I would see the day when Verizon is cheaper than Comcast, for a faster speed.

Charter's non-promo $60 for 60 Mbps continues to look better every day.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall to SArcanine

Premium Member

to SArcanine
said by SArcanine:

That claim is based off of the Allion testing, which is kind of rigged. I wonder why they didn't put the usual Allion testing disclaimer about that in that notice.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to SArcanine

MVM

to SArcanine
said by Darknessfall:

said by SArcanine:

That claim is based off of the Allion testing, which is kind of rigged. I wonder why they didn't put the usual Allion testing disclaimer about that in that notice.

Yes, see: »allionusa.com/wp-content ··· 4.16.pdf
SArcanine
join:2009-11-09
New York

1 recommendation

SArcanine

said by telcodad:

said by Darknessfall:

said by SArcanine:

Yes, see: »allionusa.com/wp-content ··· 4.16.pdf

That is a misleading claim then. The fasted equipment is made by Ruckus. It is rarely compared to netgear, but the description of why it is good should have it mop the floor with it just like it did with Cisco equipment in a somewhat dated comparison:

»supportforums.cisco.com/ ··· 2015.pdf

Not only did the Ruckus equipment gear beat the Cisco equipment, but the ruckus 802.11n equipment was in some ways better than the Cisco 802.11ac wave 1 equipment. It will be the same (or even worse) with the Netgear equipment that Comcast uses. Not to mention, Netgear licensed the technology from Ruckus and then tried stealing it ~10 years ago because it was superior:

»www.orrick.com/News/2013 ··· ent-Case
wiggum
join:2003-05-05
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

wiggum to telcodad

to telcodad
How does Comcast justify the increases price of the internet only packages?

Mine seems to be going up 9%, yet I have not seen an increase in speed, nor has the quality of service improved over the past year. I own my own modem.

This is a customer gouging plain and simple.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by wiggum:

How does Comcast justify the increases price of the internet only packages?

Mine seems to be going up 9%, yet I have not seen an increase in speed ...

What HSI tier are you on? Many customers in your area on the Performance Pro and Blast Pro tiers saw speed increases last month. Maybe not the HSI-only ones, but those on packages did?

Comcast to Increase Internet Speeds for Majority of Customers in Time for the Holidays in Oregon/SW Washington
Comcast press release, Business Wire - November 21, 2016
»www.businesswire.com/new ··· ers-Time

I would try to call in and see if they will boost your speed, then.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I'm in West Michigan and my current bill (due 12-28 and just received in the mail today, 12-16) has NO increases listed and no insert. I wonder if our markups will be in the next billing. We did get new account numbers and due dates effective 6 Dec.