FievelMousey
Premium Member
join:2005-11-17
Ronda, NC

1 recommendation

FievelMousey

Premium Member

[HSI] Redirect to a page from Charter

Charter has hijacked pages same way Comcast did and is this page whatever it is TandC-BrowserMessaging.charter.net. Comcast has got slammed for it in past hope Charter gets them dose and i will not click on any BS from it i blocked it.
reader50
join:2003-01-23
California

1 recommendation

reader50

Are you talking about 404 hijacking? ie - when you enter a wrong address?

If so, you can change that in your user preferences with Charter.

FievelMousey
Premium Member
Ronda, NC

1 recommendation

FievelMousey

Premium Member

NO it is some i accept BS i been member Charter since 2001

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

3 recommendations

JimE to FievelMousey

Premium Member

to FievelMousey
I've been using Charter since they acquired @Home (1998 or 1999) and I've never seen what you are referring to.

The only page I've seen Charter display is when attempting to reach a questionable site, there is an all red banner page which says something like "This page has been blocked for suspicious activity" or something to that effect. And I've only seen that a couple of times.

FievelMousey
Premium Member
Ronda, NC

FievelMousey

Premium Member

I never seen it before either why i brought up and i called they said was LEGIT may be some new crap they pulling

news4la
join:2009-01-05
Universal City, CA

1 recommendation

news4la to FievelMousey

to FievelMousey
It is Charter's Terms and Conditions page. No big mystery.

Anon28e59
@charter.com

3 recommendations

Anon28e59

Anon

I was redirected to the T&C page for the first time today. I've been a customer for 7 years. My first thought was my browser has been hijacked and this is a phishing expedition. Some further research proved to me that it was legit. I called Charter immediately and let them know how pissed off I am that they pulled this man in the middle attack on me!

What really sickens me is this clause in the T&C, which appears to prohibit the use of a VPN. From the Prohibited Activities section:

· Either of the following activities by a Subscriber using dedicated machines (also known as “machines” or “dedicated servers”) or virtual dedicated servers (also known as “VDS”, “VPS”, “virtual machines”, and/or “virtual servers”): (i) running a tunnel or proxy to a server at another host or (ii) hosting, storing, proxy, or use of a network testing utility or denial of service (DoS/DDoS) tool in any capacity.

WTF!!!

Anon58206
@rr.com

2 recommendations

Anon58206

Anon

there are a lot of messages that can appear from incompatible modem, to restricted due to non payment, or as you stated terms and conditions.

Anon28e59
@charter.com

2 recommendations

Anon28e59

Anon

Guys, if your ISP is allowed to inject whatever they want into your browsing session, you cannot be sure that any page you visit is the one you intended to visit. This is evil incarnate.

Anon0f3ab
@2602:100.x

3 recommendations

Anon0f3ab

Anon

said by Anon28e59 :

Guys, if your ISP is allowed to inject whatever they want into your browsing session, you cannot be sure that any page you visit is the one you intended to visit. This is evil incarnate.

Except Charter is not doing this.
Techie01
join:2014-11-21
USA

2 recommendations

Techie01 to Anon28e59

to Anon28e59
That isn't what it says at all. There is a difference between a VPN and a VDS.

A Virtual Private Server is a place to host your website, where you have root-level access to the server while still sharing the hardware. However, a Virtual Private Network is a way to browse the Internet securely and anonymously.

They don't want you running a server out of your house in other words.

Anon28e59
@charter.com

2 recommendations

Anon28e59

Anon

It says they disallow a tunnel to a server at another host. That is extremely broad. But how else do you describe a VPN if not a tunnel to a server at another host?
Techie01
join:2014-11-21
USA

Techie01

Well with the way it's written up it wouldn't made sense to say that's for a VPN. It's a main point of indicating it's only for a VDS or dedicated machine and it has 2 sub points under it for those types of devices. I'd say not to read into it that much. It would make no sense for a major ISP to ban VPNs.
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
join:2004-03-05
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom

Premium Member

said by Techie01:

Well with the way it's written up it wouldn't made sense to say that's for a VPN.

Actually it does mean exactly that although the broader prohibition on presenting any external service might cover it as well.

Those terms say you cannot connect a "dedicated" machine at your residence to another "server" at another "host". E.g. I have an OpenVPN tunnel that connects my gateway to the gateway at another residence. I.e. the OpenVPN "server" at the remote host.

Of course they also prohibit running a speed test.

The fact that those terms of service are technically somewhere between nonsensical and contradictory doesn't mean you'll win a lawsuit to get your service turned back on. It would be nice if Charter rewrote their ToS to reflect the modern era but I suspect every other ISP has similar clauses.

FievelMousey
Premium Member
Ronda, NC

FievelMousey to Anon58206

Premium Member

to Anon58206
So funny i never have owed a BILL i use Autopay