spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Alex49H
join:2015-11-18
Lake Forest, CA

Alex49H

Have AT&T

I live in Lake Forest CA 92630 and I have AT&T Uverse, 12 down and 1.5 up. I live in a townhome too. Instead of dsl, what is the trueSTREAM service?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

It works basically the same as U-verse. Most connections are FTTN (Fiber to the Node), meaning the majority of the circuit is fiber optic cable. The last leg is copper wire (traditional POTS telephone line) run into your home. In some cases, if there's already existing FTTP (Fiber to the Prem) which isn't in use then we can just reuse that.

To use the service, you have to get a gateway (modem) from us, either as a purchase ($100) or lease ($6.50/mo). There are no data caps (so can run it 24/7 if you want).

In your case, if you have existing U-verse at 12Mbps then we should be able to provide at least that speed on trueSTREAM. If you want to shoot me an IM with your street address I can double-check that for you.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to Alex49H

Premium Member

to Alex49H
You may want to wait a little while longer..... AT&T is deploying Gigapower (AT&T Fiber) to pretty much all of Orange County. Anaheim, Orange, Yorba Linda, Irvine, Fullerton, Lake Forest and San Clemente are currently being rolled out and deployed. I just got my service installed in Orange, and getting a consistent 850 Mbps up and 850 Mbps down which is pretty good for 1 Gbit/s network ports considering there is overhead.

I would have gone with DSLExtreme if they also re-sold AT&T fiber.... They completely removed my copper cables from the pole to the house (I wasn't using them anyways, I had TWC before) so this house is now 100% fiber. I'm thinking the DirecTV merger caused AT&T to expand like a mad man, as they promised to hook up an additional 12 million houses before end 2018 as part of the deal, which is like half of their territory.....

So if you are wanting some more speed and reliability, I'd maybe wait till AT&T Gigapower is "live" at your address. It seems AT&T is determined to roll it out in the entire Los Angeles/Orange County market in the next 2 years or so....

I'm hoping DSLExtreme will be allowed to do Truestream over Fiber too, I would hop over in a heartbeat.
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

1 recommendation

ramsaso

Premium Member

said by maartena:

I'm hoping DSLExtreme will be allowed to do Truestream over Fiber too, I would hop over in a heartbeat.

Well, from the COO's post he made in April 2016, he said that there's resold service over Fiber/FTTP
»Re: [trueSTREAM] TrueSTREAM over FTTP?
said by dslx_gm :
We do in fact have customers on our trueSTREAM service that are running on FTTP though.

and I think dslx_nick See Profile mentioned in his post here that they would use unused FTTP cables to initiate service if I'm correct in my reasoning.
said by dslx_nick :
In some cases, if there's already existing FTTP (Fiber to the Prem) which isn't in use then we can just reuse that.

swindmill
join:2002-07-12
Ann Arbor, MI

swindmill

In a limited number of scenarios, AT&T's U-Verse product has been delivered over FTTP but with the same speed tiers as the more typical FTTN version. I believe what Nick and the DSLX COO are saying is that DSLX can also provide service where AT&T has deployed U-Verse in this way.

AT&T more recently has their gigabit FTTP solution available (previous branded as AT&T GigaPower, not just AT&T Fiber). This service most commonly comes in at a full 1Gbps down and up although I believe they also have 100Mbps and 300Mbps options available in some regions. DSLX doesn't currently resell this offering and hasn't to the best of my knowledge confirmed whether they will or won't in the future.

If AT&T Fiber becomes available and you already have DSLX, you'd be stuck on an older U-Verse speed tier while neighbors can cruise along with AT&T's 1Gbps service at a relatively affordable rate. This is what maartena was referring to.

Alex49H
join:2015-11-18
Lake Forest, CA

Alex49H to maartena

to maartena
Seriously in Lake Forest? Where did you see that? That would be awesome!

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by Alex49H:

»about.att.com/content/da ··· iber.pdf

In particular the first paragraph:

ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. Nov. 15, 2016 — AT&T1
launched ultra-fast internet service in
additional cities in Orange County, including in parts of Anaheim, Fullerton, Lake Forest,
Mission Viejo, Orange, San Clemente and surrounding areas.
2 We’re offering a 1 gigabit
connection3
to Orange County homes, apartments and small business locations on our
100% fiber network powered by AT&T FiberSM
---

I am Orange and it went live a few weeks back, I got it installed on Dec 31st.... HOWEVER, large portions of the city of Orange still can't get it. I don't know why I got turned on first, but it may have something to do that I almost daily checked my address ever since they were in my neighborhood stringing up cables....
maartena

maartena to ramsaso

Premium Member

to ramsaso
said by ramsaso:

said by maartena:

Well, from the COO's post he made in April 2016, he said that there's resold service over Fiber/FTTP
»Re: [trueSTREAM] TrueSTREAM over FTTP?
said by dslx_gm :
We do in fact have customers on our trueSTREAM service that are running on FTTP though.

and I think dslx_nick See Profile mentioned in his post here that they would use unused FTTP cables to initiate service if I'm correct in my reasoning.
said by dslx_nick :
In some cases, if there's already existing FTTP (Fiber to the Prem) which isn't in use then we can just reuse that.

Be that as it may.... if I check on AT&T availability, it says 1 Gbps available for my address. If I check Truestream, its 75 Mbps.

1 Gbps for $80 on promotion for 2 years, then $109....

or...

75 Mbps for $92.95.

Now if it was 1 Gbps up/down for $92.95 i'd still consider it..... But since it is not, its a no-brainer, AT&T it is.

And I have asked here before, I don't think DSLExtreme is currently capable of offering 1 Gbps.....

But dslx_nick can confirm otherwise....

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

WiFiguru to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:

said by Alex49H:

»about.att.com/content/da ··· iber.pdf

In particular the first paragraph:

ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. Nov. 15, 2016 — AT&T1
launched ultra-fast internet service in
additional cities in Orange County, including in parts of Anaheim, Fullerton, Lake Forest,
Mission Viejo, Orange, San Clemente and surrounding areas.
2 We’re offering a 1 gigabit
connection3
to Orange County homes, apartments and small business locations on our
100% fiber network powered by AT&T FiberSM
---

I am Orange and it went live a few weeks back, I got it installed on Dec 31st.... HOWEVER, large portions of the city of Orange still can't get it. I don't know why I got turned on first, but it may have something to do that I almost daily checked my address ever since they were in my neighborhood stringing up cables....

As an FYI, it is already technically in Lake Forest. "Baker Ranch" has Gigapower deployments, as well as many other communities/MDUs in the area.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick to maartena

ISP Employee

to maartena
Yeah, we do not have access to 1Gbps yet, unfortunately.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by dslx_nick:

Yeah, we do not have access to 1Gbps yet, unfortunately.

Is this AT&T refusing you access to Gigapower, or is DSLExtreme not in a position to handle that kind of bandwidth?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

3 recommendations

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Honestly, I do not know; that's something handled by upper management behind closed doors, if you will. Personally, would be thrilled to be able to offer gigabit circuits (although I'm in Frontier territory myself so no gigabit for ME either way, grumble-grumble... ).