spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Anon5c5b6
@charter.com

Anon5c5b6

Anon

bandwidth deception

Charter claims to offer 100 Mbps internet speed throughout their sales promotions, but they are deceiving people. People here must already know this. They offer 100 mbps (12.5 Mbps). The competitors list 12 Mbps, which probably uses identical technology and does not actually produce a different bandwidth rate. A rep on the phone gave me the tomayto/tomahto excuse for bits vs bytes (and the mb vs Mb distinction). He didn't seem to know the difference. Charter, however, is deliberately deceptive, and they use sales staff to perpetrate the deception on the public. The discrepancy is large (12.5 Mbps = 1/8* 100 Mbps).
Can Charter be compelled to provide the full 100 Mbps for the current advertised rate for a given period (5 years maybe) to compensate the long-term fraud against the public? If not, could DSLReports help try the criminality of Charter in the court of public opinion and thereby extract a fair compensation via grass roots discussion and action in public forums?

Anonb1af3
@2602:100.x

3 recommendations

Anonb1af3

Anon

said by Anon5c5b6 :

Charter claims to offer 100 Mbps internet speed throughout their sales promotions, but they are deceiving people. People here must already know this. They offer 100 mbps (12.5 Mbps). The competitors list 12 Mbps, which probably uses identical technology and does not actually produce a different bandwidth rate. A rep on the phone gave me the tomayto/tomahto excuse for bits vs bytes (and the mb vs Mb distinction). He didn't seem to know the difference. Charter, however, is deliberately deceptive, and they use sales staff to perpetrate the deception on the public. The discrepancy is large (12.5 Mbps = 1/8* 100 Mbps).
Can Charter be compelled to provide the full 100 Mbps for the current advertised rate for a given period (5 years maybe) to compensate the long-term fraud against the public? If not, could DSLReports help try the criminality of Charter in the court of public opinion and thereby extract a fair compensation via grass roots discussion and action in public forums?

what are you talking about. By the way 100 Mbps = 12.5 MBps.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Anon5c5b6

to Anon5c5b6
said by Anon5c5b6 :

Mbps = mbps

you are thinking of MB per second. Your post doesn't even make sense.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

2 recommendations

DocDrew to Anon5c5b6

Premium Member

to Anon5c5b6
What? All the internet providers use megabits per second (Mbps) in their speed descriptions, unless it's below 1 Mbps in which case they use Kbps; or 1000 Mbps or higher in which case they use Gbps.

I've never seen any internet provider use megabytes per second (MBps) in advertising their speed. Do you have any examples you can link to? Without any examples you're not going anywhere with this complaint. If there was fraud happening with this, it'd be all over this site and it is not.

My legacy Charter connection is advertised as 60/4 Mbps and I get 64/5 Mbps on it. My legacy TWC (now Charter) connection is advertised as 300/20 Mbps and I get 340/24 Mbps on it. Both faster than advertised.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

1 recommendation

dfwguy to Anon5c5b6

to Anon5c5b6
Internet speeds are always measured in terms of megabits per second (Mb/s, the M is always uppercase for mega, while the b is lowercase for bits and uppercase for bytes), equaling 1,000,000 bits per second. Base-10 numbering such as this is the norm for most consumer-facing applications, with the exception of RAM and file sizes in Windows, which use base-2 numbering (i.e. 1MB = 1048576 bytes). This includes all residential ISPs, along with storage like hard drives, flash drives, etc..

Charter delivers peak speeds at least as much as they advertise, and in many areas overprovisions by 10-15%. My 100/10 service on Charter (legacy TWC) typically speedtests at around 117Mb/s down and 11Mb/s up, which is typical for people on this plan.
NeoShader6
join:2015-12-09
Saint James, MO

NeoShader6 to Anon5c5b6

to Anon5c5b6
I'm on 100mbps, get 133. I've seen 17MBps in steam and torrent.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Anon5c5b6

Premium Member

to Anon5c5b6
This is why I favor using Mbit/s and Mbyte/s - that way there is never confusion, regardless of the capital letters used.

Internet providers always advertise their speeds as megabit per second, regardless of how they spell it out. So if Charter offers 100 Mbps, or Mbit/s if you will, you know exactly what to expect. They do over provision, so you may end up getting a speed that is 10-20% more than the 100 Mbps you are paying for.

But they aren't deceiving anyone.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to Anon5c5b6

to Anon5c5b6
Uh ... fraud ??? You need some "Computer-101" first

100 Mbps is 100 Megabits / second and this is what almost everyone uses as reference.

Your "12.5" is "MBps" or MegaBYTES per second (notice the capital "B"). Very few report back using this nomenclature.

So ... no fraud here
deefop
join:2016-05-05
Boulder, CO

deefop to Anon5c5b6

to Anon5c5b6
I think you're a little confused, as some others in the thread have pointed out already.

When we're talking about "throughput" or "bandwidth" we are always talking in terms of bits per second.

A BYTE is approximately 8 times larger than a bit. Bytes are how we measure file sizes.

Thus, a 100 megabit per second internet connection means you can transfer 12.5 megaBYTES per second. It's simple math.

ALL internet providers advertise in megabits per second, because that is how throughput is measured.

Charter is not false advertising in the least. Neither is any other ISP. They advertise precisely what they provide.

»www.uswitch.com/broadban ··· plained/