Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

4 edits

14 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

FiOS Gigabit Connection

Hey everyone!

I've been waiting to post this for a while now... It's my pleasure to introduce Instant Internet by FiOS FiOS Gigabit Connection.

This is the name for the new 750/750 tier. ONTs will actually be provisioned for 1024/1024 aka Gigabit, but due to limitations with GPON and Ethernet, expect closer to 940/940.

UPDATE 4/23: ONTs are still provisioned for 1024/1024, and Verizon now brands it as gigabit internet. Nothing has changed about the tier except the name.

Rollout:

As always, dates subject to change. Listed below are general areas, there may be some parts in the listed areas that have/do not have gigabit that are listed otherwise.

Jan 14: New York, Northern New Jersey, Philadelphia, Richmond, & Hampton Roads

Jan 25: Boston and Norfolk

Apr 27: Instant Internet becomes Gigabit Connection for New Customers

Apr 30: Instant Internet becomes Gigabit Connections for Existing Customers and expands to Providence, Washington DC, Montgomery & Howard Counties

2017: Rollout Continues to Baltimore County, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Southern New Jersey, Boston & Philadelphia Suburbs, & More

Pricing:

In areas without Gigabit Connection:

50/50 Base
100/100 +$10 from 50/50
150/150 +$10 from 100/100
300/300 +$100 from 150/150
500/500 +$100 from 300/300

In areas with Gigabit Connection (eventually everyone):

50/50 Base
100/100 +$10 from 50/50
150/150 +$10 from 100/100
300/300 +$30 from 150/150
1024/1024 +$50 from 300/300

As you can see, this is a huge price reduction. 300/300 and 1024/1024 are now more affordable, instead of being ridiculously high.

Please note that if you're an existing customer, your existing bundle discounts may cause a different price to show up. That's normal, as some of your discounts may be specific to the speed you have currently.

This post will be updated with new information as I get it.
TazExprez
join:2002-04-27
Yonkers, NY

4 recommendations

TazExprez

Re: Instant Internet by FiOS

This $170.00 bundled price might be amazing, depending on the TV package they include with it. I was paying $165.00 for 150/35 Internet, Ultimate HD TV, and Phone in December 2011, when 150/35 was the top Internet tier. I switched to Cablevision, now Altice, in September 2015. I was waiting for Verizon to make some changes to switch back and now that time has probably arrived. I am currently paying Altice $169.99 for 100/35 Internet, Gold TV, and Phone, after taxes and fees. I have a TiVo setup, so the TV equipment fees are only $7.50.

Thanks a lot for this post. I have been patiently waiting for some changes at Verizon and I was about to pull the trigger on one of the current plans for quite some time.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

elefante72 to Branch

to Branch
More for less is always good. If they can drop the pricing on the lower tiers I might bite and finally deep six the TV portion as the BTL fees have crept up to almost $20.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

3 recommendations

Branch to TazExprez

Premium Member

to TazExprez
said by TazExprez:

This $170.00 bundled price might be amazing, depending on the TV package they include with it. I was paying $165.00 for 150/35 Internet, Ultimate HD TV, and Phone in December 2011, when 150/35 was the top Internet tier. I switched to Cablevision, now Altice, in September 2015. I was waiting for Verizon to make some changes to switch back and now that time has probably arrived. I am currently paying Altice $169.99 for 100/35 Internet, Gold TV, and Phone, after taxes and fees. I have a TiVo setup, so the TV equipment fees are only $7.50.

Thanks a lot for this post. I have been patiently waiting for some changes at Verizon and I was about to pull the trigger on one of the current plans for quite some time.

It's probably custom tv.
The price is still good because it means a reduction of price in existing tiers. 300/300 and 750 will actually be reasonable unlike 300 and 500 now.

Elector
join:2000-05-25
Albany, NY

1 recommendation

Elector to Branch

to Branch
»www.verizon.com/about/ne ··· starting

Old news. I was reading this awhile back. Not yet available everywhere but the price is nice.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

11 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

said by Elector:

»www.verizon.com/about/ne ··· starting

Old news. I was reading this awhile back. Not yet available everywhere but the price is nice.

Old news? That article was published today. I wouldn't consider this morning a while back but ok. I published this post literally hours after it was announced.

Elector
join:2000-05-25
Albany, NY

3 recommendations

Elector

I must get out of bed before you. Ha ha
Noticed the Twitter post at 6 AM and clicked the link. I was amazed at the higher speeds and the lower price. Alas it is not yet available where I live. Drat, darn...
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

2 recommendations

patt2k to Branch

to Branch
Yea I'd like to know what happens to other tiers. I hope for a speed bump!
guyjr
join:1999-08-30
USA

2 recommendations

guyjr to Branch

to Branch
My guess is we'll see speed bumps before we see price drops. I'm all for that tho, and at these prices, going full-on 750/750 is going to be very tempting... especially considering I'm just about finished wiring up my house with Cat 6.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

4 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

said by guyjr:

My guess is we'll see speed bumps before we see price drops. I'm all for that tho, and at these prices, going full-on 750/750 is going to be very tempting... especially considering I'm just about finished wiring up my house with Cat 6.

Actually I'd bet the opposite.
SArcanine
join:2009-11-09
New York

1 edit

4 recommendations

SArcanine to Branch

to Branch
said by Branch:

Hey everyone!

I've been waiting to post this for a while now... It's my pleasure to introduce Instant Internet by FiOS.

This is the name for the new 750/750 tier. ONTs will actually be provisioned for 1024/1024 aka Gigabit, but due to limitations with GPON and Ethernet, expect closer to 750/750.

This will replace 500/500, I'm told, though it's unclear as to whether or not existing customers will be upgraded.

I am working to obtain details on what will happen to the other tiers.

Rollout:

Jan 24: New York City, Northern New Jersey, Philadelphia, & Richmond

1Q 2017: Boston and Norfolk

2017: Everyone else

Pricing:

I'm working to get pricing for existing customers, but new customers can get this speed for $149.99, or $169.99 with TV and Phone. This is good news: it should result in a price drop in the existing tiers.

Please standby for more details. I'm continuing to update this post throughout the day as I get more details.

The limitations of Ethernet mean that speed tests would at most do 10^9 /2^20 *1480/1500 = ~941 Mbps. In practice, I have never seen higher than 940 Mbps on a gigabit link when doing an iperf3 test. Provisioning for 1024Mbps will be pointless unless the Ethernet port on the ONT, the consumer side switch and consumer side router are upgraded to the new 2.5GbE standard.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

6 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

said by SArcanine:

Provisioning for 1024Mbps will be pointless

I'd rather be provisioned for 1024Mbps than 750, wouldn't you?
Sure I can't use the last 60Mbps but it's much better.
noebl1
join:2003-01-03
MA, USA

1 recommendation

noebl1 to Branch

to Branch
@Branch When they say Boston, do they mean the Boston market (and it's suburbs that have FiOS already)? Thanks!
SArcanine
New York

1 recommendation

SArcanine to Branch

to Branch
said by Branch:

said by SArcanine:

It would be the last 70Mbps, and it makes no difference to me whether the provisioning is for 954Mbps or 1024Mbps. It is just weird to hear that they picked 1024Mbps.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch to noebl1

Premium Member

to noebl1
said by noebl1:

@Branch When they say Boston, do they mean the Boston market (and it's suburbs that have FiOS already)? Thanks!

I don't know, sorry.
Branch

1 recommendation

Branch to SArcanine

Premium Member

to SArcanine
said by SArcanine:

said by Branch:

said by SArcanine:

It would be the last 70Mbps, and it makes no difference to me whether the provisioning is for 954Mbps or 1024Mbps. It is just weird to hear that they picked 1024Mbps.

eh, 1024 is a nice gigabit number to pick. though you're right it doesn't really matter.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

2 recommendations

Bytezboy

Hope there will be a free speed bump.

Anoneaee5
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Anoneaee5 to noebl1

Anon

to noebl1
Vho6 &6A

Boston market and Providence market
dtv757
join:2008-09-20
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

dtv757 to Branch

to Branch
I wonder why " the 757" (Norfolk VA market ) is delayed ? I understand Boston as it just launched but VA has had FiOS since 2006 lol

But happy for the faster speeds !!!!
SArcanine
New York

2 recommendations

SArcanine to Bytezboy

to Bytezboy
said by Bytezboy:

Have they ever given a free speed bump in the past (ignoring the switch to symmetric)?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

2 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

said by SArcanine:

said by Bytezboy:

Have they ever given a free speed bump in the past (ignoring the switch to symmetric)?

Not a national one. Some people randomly got bumps.
SArcanine
New York

1 recommendation

SArcanine

said by Branch:

said by SArcanine:

said by Bytezboy:

Not a national one. Some people randomly got bumps.

Is there any notification of the additional speed? I have the smart queue enabled on my Edgerouter X, so unless I disable it or change the throttle to a higher number, I will not see a speed bump.

I wonder what my chances of a speed bump are given that I pay $26.98 a month for 50/50.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by SArcanine:

Is there any notification of the additional speed?

Yes
said by SArcanine:

I wonder what my chances of a speed bump are given that I pay $26.98 a month for 50/50

Probably not great.
MALiiBU31
join:2017-01-12

1 recommendation

MALiiBU31 to Branch

to Branch
Same, I wonder what the pricing will be for existing customers. I have the router with a red "band" on it - would that be capable of handling 750/750? I disabled the Wi-Fi & use my own AC routers to distribute the DHCP assigned by the Verizon router.

The thing is, I DO have a quantum router, but I clicked "Upgrade Now" on accident when I wanted to check out an offer they sent in an email. So the router is sitting in its box in my room and Verizon hasn't charged me any equipment fees yet...this happened in Sept.

Anyway, input would be helpful!
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

1 recommendation

patt2k to Branch

to Branch
Branch any new info? maybe older tiers pricing will go down etc..

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

2 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

said by patt2k:

Branch any new info? maybe older tiers pricing will go down etc..

We'll know tomorrow when it launches.
Branch

1 recommendation

Branch to MALiiBU31

Premium Member

to MALiiBU31
said by MALiiBU31:

Same, I wonder what the pricing will be for existing customers. I have the router with a red "band" on it - would that be capable of handling 750/750? I disabled the Wi-Fi & use my own AC routers to distribute the DHCP assigned by the Verizon router.

The thing is, I DO have a quantum router, but I clicked "Upgrade Now" on accident when I wanted to check out an offer they sent in an email. So the router is sitting in its box in my room and Verizon hasn't charged me any equipment fees yet...this happened in Sept.

The ref I (red band) will not be able to take full advantage as it's single band wifi n. Compared to FQG which is dual band wifi ac.
SArcanine
New York

1 recommendation

SArcanine to MALiiBU31

to MALiiBU31
said by MALiiBU31:

I imagine that you could return it to Verizon without being charged, but you should verify that with Verizon Direct.

If the 750/750 is over provisioned like Branch said, no existing wifi access point would keep up. If it is only 750/750, then a 4 stream 802.11ac AP at short range would be able to handle it.

If you plan to get it and want routing+WiFi that can handle it, I suggest buying a Ubiquiti ERL-3, a Ruckus Zoneflex R710 AP and a TP-Link PoE injector to power the AP. The Ruckus Zoneflex R710 is one of the few access points that ought to come close to a gigabit link over wireless provided 4 stream capable clients. It also can gracefully handle many clients unlike consumer grade equipment.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

8 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

their strategy here is underpromise and overdeliver... hey, I'm not complaining!
frazell
LogicalApex
join:2009-04-14
Farmington, NY

1 recommendation

frazell to guyjr

to guyjr
This is what I see in Philadelphia. Looks like price drops...

»frazell.net/wp-content/u ··· phia.png