uniqs

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

16 recommendations

chachazz

Premium Member

Heads up: Telemetry updates for Win 7 and 8/8.1 are back again

Telemetry updates republished 2/8, (aka Data collection) are back in Windows Update and the Catalog:
KB2952664 (Win 7)
KB2976978 (Win 8/8.1)

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

I have this as an optional update, and have not installed it yet. Not sure what to do install or not. If I choose not to install, will I be offered updates in the future?

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

3 recommendations

Chubbzie

said by SueS:

will I be offered updates in the future?

Yep

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Hmm, it was published yesterday in my 64-bit W7 HPE SP1.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

1 recommendation

tlbepson to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Thanks for the heads up...
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

2 recommendations

Frodo to chachazz

to chachazz
I show two updates for Win 8 with the same KB number. One came in November, and another yesterday.

According to the description "This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program."
I didn't bother to install these, since I don't participate in the CEIP.

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

3 recommendations

Drunkula to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Thanks for the heads-up. I've hidden it, again...

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 edit

4 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

In addition to hiding such updates, after each time i run Windows Update I go into Task Scheduler and assure that the Customer Experience Improvement Program and the Application Experience items are disabled.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by camper:

In addition to hiding such updates, after each time i run Windows Update I go into Task Scheduler and assure that the Customer Experience Improvement Program and the Application Experience items are disabled.

Where do they usually hide if installed?
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

6 recommendations

tlbepson

Premium Member

antdude...

Here you go--this is for Win7/Pro but I suspect you'd also find the entries in Win8/8.1:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Customer Experience Improvement Program and then I set all 3 entries in Task Scheduler to "disabled".

Also take a look a the 2 entries in "Application Experience" (also in the > Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows section)

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

3 edits

antdude

Premium Member

said by tlbepson:

antdude...

Here you go--this is for Win7/Pro but I suspect you'd also find the entries in Win8/8.1:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Customer Experience Improvement Program and then I set all 3 entries in Task Scheduler to "disabled".

Also take a look a the 2 entries in "Application Experience" (also in the > Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows section)

Thank you. Dang. I had the previous KB patch installed from 10/22/2016. Doh! So, I uninstalled it. However, my Task Scheduler still show them. Do they not get removed after uninstalling the old KB even after rebooting (not required)? I deleted their entries, but could deleted one folder (Application) and not its "Customer Experience Improvement Program" even as an admin.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

1 edit

8 recommendations

tlbepson

Premium Member

You're welcome...

I haven't done any Windows Updates in eons so I don't know what entries might be changed in Task Scheduler when you delete installed KB's...

On my Win7/Pro system, I instituted a "Just Set Never" approach well prior to any Win10 sneak attacks in which I set Windows Updates to "Never" and then to be doubly sure, I also set Windows Update Service to "disabled" and using gpedit, set "Prevent Windows Anytime Upgrade from running" to "enabled". So I don't have any pesky telemetry/data gathering crap running on my system but I only recently discovered the Task Scheduler entries and set those to "disabled" also.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

3 recommendations

dandelion

MVM

I have the same thing regarding windows update.. been ages since I did anything. Just checking tasks today, I have nothing for CEIP but had two for Application Experience which I stopped. Thanks for that information!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to tlbepson

Premium Member

to tlbepson
Would uninstalling the specific KB update and deleting the Task Scheduler's entries be considered disabled?
Frodo

3 recommendations

Frodo

I prefer disabling task scheduler entries as preferable to deleting them. If the entries are present, they're not likely to be reinstalled. On the other hand, if the entries are deleted, then they could potentially be reinstated, with Microsoft's preferences.

One item I don't like seeing updated is:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl

I think this is a Win8 and above issue, but that might be where the stuff is collected before uploading to the Microsoft mothership.

I use an elevated explorer++ to access the directory/folder.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Frodo:

I think this is a Win8 and above issue,

Confirming your suspicion, I don't see the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis folder on my Win 7-64 install, even with "hide operating system files" disabled in explorer view options.
Jrb2
Premium Member
join:2001-08-31

1 edit

Jrb2 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Somewhere back in November 2016, after MS update, I discovered with the help of file-integrity-checker ADinf32 Pro the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ on Win-7 Pro 64-bit. (PS: I use two on-demand file-integrity-checkers: ADinf32 Pro and the old NISFileCheck (which is not more available)).
With the help of the old Karens Directory Printer (RIP Karen) I made a list of folders and files. Here it is from that time. Note that files have date/time, sub-folders not. Date/Time = Last modified. Format date is dd-mm-yyyy

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\AsimovUploader\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedScenarios\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json 9-11-2016 16:51
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json.bk 9-11-2016 16:49
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\utc.app.json 9-11-2016 16:51
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\utc.app.json.bk 9-11-2016 16:49

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl 11-11-2016 14:28

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\ShutdownLogger\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\LocalTraceStore\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\Sideload\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\SoftLanding\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\SoftLandingStage\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\events00.rbs 11-11-2016 14:28
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\events01.rbs 11-11-2016 14:28
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\events10.rbs 11-11-2016 14:28
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\events11.rbs 11-11-2016 14:28

===

Although I had to jump through hoops, I was able to delete them. Don't remember me exactly how I did it.

===

Finally though I decided to put back a backup-image and from then on to go with Security Only updates from MS.

===

There are guidelines on how to Turn off the Windows Customer Experience program:
»www.ghacks.net/2016/10/2 ··· program/
It can be done via Group Policy Editor, the Windows Task Scheduler, and the Windows Registry.
I have used them since then, and some more.

===

There was a discussion at Wilders about it all in the very long thread "Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?".
Frodo

2 recommendations

Frodo

I turned off the setting here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener. I made start 0 as described in method #4 in the following article.
http://www.askvg.com/tip-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8/

For some reason, my notes indicated I shut off some more locations in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener\{DD17FA14-CDA6-7191-9B61-37A28F7A10DA}
changed "enable" from 1 to 0 . WINDOWS.APPRAISER.GENERAL
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\SQMLogger Set Start to 0

I love telemetry, but I have to keep my electric bill down.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

5 recommendations

Cartel to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Sept. 2016 was my last update for win7
I'm done playing f-ing games with those clowns
doppler
join:2003-03-31
Blue Point, NY

2 recommendations

doppler to chachazz

to chachazz
For all those individuals making changes to the registry.
Make sure they STICK!

I wanted to make changes, to disable windows defender from
scanning drives automatically. The pro version of W10 has a
group policy to make the change. My home version had to be
changed manually with regedit. Only to find I did not have
"permission" to make the keys. Funny Pro good , home bad
O.k. I booted a Win10SE PE from flash and made the changes.
Only to find W10, changed the keys back to 0. Didn't delete
the keys, just changed content. SO,

For all those individuals making changes to the registry.
Make sure they STICK!

PS.
Because of all the telemetry inside W10, I consider the whole
thing SPYWARE.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

3 recommendations

camper to Jrb2

Premium Member

to Jrb2
said by Jrb2:

I discovered with the help of file-integrity-checker ADinf32 Pro the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ on Win-7 Pro 64-bit.

I wonder if the reason i do not have that directory is that I had skipped a lot of the earlier telemetry updates that were pushed to Win 7 PCs via Windows Update.

{shrug}

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion

MVM

Missing the entire folder "Diagnosis" also.. like you quit updating early.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion

dandelion...

You are most welcome...'-}}

Interesting that there were no entries in CEIP...
tlbepson

2 recommendations

tlbepson to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

antdude...

I agree with Frodo that disabling is the better approach...
tlbepson

2 recommendations

tlbepson to camper

Premium Member

to camper
camper...

I also don't see the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis folder on my Win7/Pro/64bit system--I have Explorer set to show any and all files and extensions. I have not run Windows Update at all since I had this system custom built in September 2015 so you may well be correct with respect to earlier telemetry updates...

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

I'm a little confused as some are talking about hiding updates. I thought those of us on Win 8.1 (or higher) can no longer hide individual updates, nor install selectively. Did I miss something? I HATE the lack of control now with the pre-packaged updates, all or nothing. Running 8.1.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper

Premium Member

said by altermatt:

some are talking about hiding updates.

In my instance, I was speaking of hiding updates on the Win7-64 PC that I have. I have no instances of Windows later than Win7, nor do I plan to have any.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

therube to Cartel

to Cartel
quote:
Sept. 2016 was my last update for win7
Heh.
Got you beat, I'm back at July 2016.

But... in order to find that out, I fired up, WinUpdatesList, & in doing so, that changed my otherwise "disabled" updates to enabled, & shortly thereafter I had a prompt about a "critical update" (along with the requisite high CPU usage...).

I've only bothered with:
net  stop  wuauserv

to stop my updates.
So I just ran it now, once more, & all is fine again in lala land.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
That's odd... I'm running Windows 7 here and I go into my optional updates, and this one isn't offered.

I have updates set to notify only, aloowing me to download them when I want to.
Frodo

Frodo

said by Doctor Four:

and this one isn't offered.

I went into Updates yesterday, and the optional update had disappeared.