uniqs
Mailbag77
join:2017-01-23
Staten Island, NY

1 edit

3 recommendations

Mailbag77

Technicolor 9865 apparently records 6 shows at a time

I just got Spectrum in NYC and when I ordered the service, the girl behind the counter told me that on the DVR I can only record 2 shows at a time. So I bought a used TiVo Roamio Plus to compensate. Figured being the DVR service from Spectrum was free for the year, I got their DVR anyway for the other TV. They gave me a Technicolor (Cisco) 9865. So I tried out their new box to see how it worked. I started recording programs and it went right past 2 channel recordings and up to 6. Apparently I can record 6 shows on it at one time and not just 2 like the girl and their website said. Happy day over here!

Edit: The box was manufactured Jan. 2017 so it's brand new

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Greenlight Netwo..
·Frontier FiberOp..

4 recommendations

Racerbob

Premium Member

said by Mailbag77:

I just got Spectrum in NYC and when I ordered the service, the girl behind the counter told me that on the DVR I can only record 2 shows at a time. So I bought a used TiVo Roamio Plus to compensate. Figured being the DVR service from Spectrum was free for the year, I got their DVR anyway for the other TV. They gave me a Technicolor (Cisco) 9865. So I tried out their new box to see how it worked. I started recording programs and it went right past 2 channel recordings and up to 6. Apparently I can record 6 shows on it at one time and not just 2 like the girl and their website said. Happy day over here!

Edit: The box was manufactured Jan. 2017 so it's brand new

I was told the same thing by the installer on Friday. That I could record 6 shows at a time with the 9865. I never had a need to record 6 shows at a time, but it is nice to know that it can. Thanks for confirming this now that you have tried.
Henrypolk87
join:2012-11-05
Davenport, FL

4 recommendations

Henrypolk87 to Mailbag77

to Mailbag77
This could probably be market specific. Competitive market. As NYC has two providers TWC, Verizon Fios and in rare cases 3 named RCN cable. It's Iconic most NYers (around 70% can't get Fios where they live)...

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY

4 recommendations

Racerbob to Mailbag77

Premium Member

to Mailbag77
Confirmed. 6 at a time here and when I went to change a channel, it told me that I would need to stop recording one.
Mailbag77
Staten Island, NY

2 recommendations

Mailbag77

said by Racerbob:

Confirmed. 6 at a time here and when I went to change a channel, it told me that I would need to stop recording one.

Would've been nice if they told us. I would've forgot the TiVo and switched over sooner lol
Mailbag77

1 recommendation

Mailbag77 to Henrypolk87

to Henrypolk87
said by Henrypolk87:

This could probably be market specific. Competitive market. As NYC has two providers TWC, Verizon Fios and in rare cases 3 named RCN cable. It's Iconic most NYers (around 70% can't get Fios where they live)...

Probably is. Wish they knew that at the place though when I went to set up the installation. I even made it a point to ask. NYC is one of the few markets where Fios has on their Ultimate plan all the movie channels included so it must definitely be the competition around here
JSull
join:2013-01-15

2 recommendations

JSull to Mailbag77

to Mailbag77
Does it have channel/ clock display?
What connections (input/outputs) does it have... only a single HDMI output to tv?
Mailbag77
Staten Island, NY

2 recommendations

Mailbag77

said by JSull:

Does it have channel/ clock display?
What connections (input/outputs) does it have... only a single HDMI output to tv?

It has the channel/time display on the front. HDMI and 6 plug on the rear for audio/video

Anon88b87
@2001:5b0.x

3 recommendations

Anon88b87 to Mailbag77

Anon

to Mailbag77
I had to check the date on these posts to make sure they're current. I feel like I'm going back in time

Six tuner DVRs have been available in some markets on TWC since the Fall of 2014. Maxx was not just about internet speed increases, part of Maxx was rolling out the six tuner DVRs. NYC and LA got them first, other areas got them later on. It will be two years next month I've had one in Rochester.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dvr.html

There are three models of them. The Motorola/Arris 3600M, Cisco/Technicolor 9865HDC and the Samsung SMT-H4372. Six tuners, 1 TB hard drive, branded as Enhanced DVR service. There were a ton of posts about them in the old BHN and TWC forums. What it surprising though is that they are being handed out to new customers, and they have all six tuners active under SPP.

According to posts here and my own experience with the Arris, all of the Enhanced DVRs had a bug that broke the CEC HDMI control functionality of your system. When I had my Arris replaced with a Cisco last Summer, it did don't have the CEC bug.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

3 recommendations

Timothy28 to Mailbag77

to Mailbag77
I wonder if they'll be 6 tuners in markets that also have Frontier Fios since they offer the Quantum 6 tuner dvrs as well.
Timothy28

2 recommendations

Timothy28 to Mailbag77

to Mailbag77
It still isn't Whole House capable though correct?

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

3 recommendations

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by Timothy28:

With the original EDVR it was capable of recording 6 channels at once also, could be enabled with Whole House DVR capability. From my knowledge, under the new SPP plans, the WH capability is disable so is the 6 tuners, only 2 is enabled.

Now, if Charter has decided to change stance; as it sounds.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

6 recommendations

Timothy28

If the technicolor dvr the OP has with 6 tuners isn't WH it is still a piece of garbage. What good is 6 tuners if you can't watch from any room.

Anon34a0e
@2604:2000.x

4 recommendations

Anon34a0e

Anon

said by Timothy28:

If the technicolor dvr the OP has with 6 tuners isn't WH it is still a piece of garbage. What good is 6 tuners if you can't watch from any room.

Ummm piece of garbage really? 6 is still 3 times better than the 2 that are offered in other areas and I guess you never been to NYC. Many apartments only have 1 TV. Many cases now zero TV in the home.
FoxMike
join:2015-11-19
Canal Winchester, OH

2 recommendations

FoxMike to Timothy28

to Timothy28
My mother in law has the Technicolor 9865HDC 6 tuner with WH service. She had it activated in late December. Any "Enhanced" DVR can do whole house. All they do is add a code to your account to enable it. But with merger good luck getting it enabled. I decline WH as it was 10 more dollars a month that I won't ever use. It's great if you have multiple TVs it's a shame it's going away.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

3 recommendations

Timothy28 to Anon34a0e

to Anon34a0e
In your case then it is fine with only one tv, but if you have multiple tv's 6 tuners without WH still sucks.

Anon8e872
@2604:2000.x

2 recommendations

Anon8e872 to Timothy28

Anon

to Timothy28
I'd take this over my current 2 tuner samsung dvr. rare but there are times when i wanna record 4-5 shows at once which makes this handy.

spectrum does not want to support moca and the headaches that come along with maintaining it such as filters and such.
said by Timothy28:

Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

2 recommendations

Timothy28

Certainly it is better then 2 but without WH for many its still not great. For me, we only have 2 tv's in the 2 bedrooms. So 2 dvr's would still be necessary. Which is expensive compared to my Tivo. Not sure why they are so against Moca. TWC did it and it worked just fine. All it required was a filter outside and one on the modem. If that's all that is stopping them from making the 6 tuner technicolor dvr WH capable that's a lame excuse imo.
Mailbag77
Staten Island, NY

2 recommendations

Mailbag77 to Anon88b87

to Anon88b87
said by Anon88b87 :

I had to check the date on these posts to make sure they're current. I feel like I'm going back in time

Nope. It is the current day and year lol. I was just shocked Spectrum gave me a 6 tuner after they said they don't have them anymore. And for the year, I'm paying $4.99 a month for it with free DVR service
Mailbag77

1 recommendation

Mailbag77 to Timothy28

to Timothy28
said by Timothy28:

I wonder if they'll be 6 tuners in markets that also have Frontier Fios since they offer the Quantum 6 tuner dvrs as well.

I'm guessing there may be being there's competition
Mailbag77

1 recommendation

Mailbag77 to Timothy28

to Timothy28
said by Timothy28:

Not sure being I only have the one box. But I'm assuming not being the MoCa is turned off

jacko15
Premium Member
join:2014-07-31
Erie, PA

3 recommendations

jacko15

Premium Member

I've had a Cisco 9865 with 6 tuners for about a year now. I'm still with a TWC plan. Losing the extra tuners is why I'm not changing to a Spectrum plan. I might have to give them a call and see if I'll be able to keep 6 tuners if I switch.
Mailbag77
Staten Island, NY

Mailbag77

said by jacko15:

I've had a Cisco 9865 with 6 tuners for about a year now. I'm still with a TWC plan. Losing the extra tuners is why I'm not changing to a Spectrum plan. I might have to give them a call and see if I'll be able to keep 6 tuners if I switch.

Well Technicolor bought out Cisco's boxes and I think just rebranded them. Cause when I searched that number with the Technicolor name, that's how I found out I had a 6 tuner (Also by trial and error). You probably have the same box as me. If Spectrum brought me a 6 tuner box and I just had it installed this past Friday 3/17, don't see why your case would be different. Unless maybe lack of competition?

jacko15
Premium Member
Erie, PA

1 recommendation

jacko15

Premium Member

That's what concerns me, zero competition here.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Greenlight Netwo..
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 recommendation

Racerbob

Premium Member

Well outside of DISH and DirecTV , there is no other TV service competition here. Frontier DSL is a joke for Internet and Greenlight fiber is only creeping along with their expansion. Those two are the only other internet companies we have.

I myself had the TV service installed on Friday. Being able to record 6 shows at a time is nice, but I am not that attached to watching TV all the time and I cannot envision any situation where I will utilize that feature.

Anona5e95
@rr.com

1 recommendation

Anona5e95 to Timothy28

Anon

to Timothy28
said by Timothy28:

Maybe they'll turn WH on in the future but from the feedback here I would say its not garbage......

jacko15
Premium Member
Erie, PA

2 recommendations

jacko15

Premium Member

I really like the extra tuners for same time show, and overlapping show recording. Also, with cable and broadcast networks now starting a lot of shows 1 minute after the hour or half-hour, it avoids recording conflicts. 2 tuners are problematic in these situations. Perhaps a 4 tuner DVR would suffice, but watching content real time is almost painful with all of the commercials. Our viewing time is limited, and the DVR makes life so much more convenient. At well over a hundred dollars a month for service, I don't think that's too much to ask.
FoxMike
join:2015-11-19
Canal Winchester, OH

2 recommendations

FoxMike to Anona5e95

to Anona5e95
None of the enhanced DVRs are garbage. Actually they some of the best. Maybe WH will come back. Seriously all it is a code added to your account that provisions the box to enable MOCA. 6 tuners is nice for local channels it automatically indexes them so when you change a channel you can go back to your original one and rewind it.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

2 recommendations

Satch

said by FoxMike:

None of the enhanced DVRs are garbage. Actually they some of the best. Maybe WH will come back. Seriously all it is a code added to your account that provisions the box to enable MOCA. 6 tuners is nice for local channels it automatically indexes them so when you change a channel you can go back to your original one and rewind it.

I have this box. The Cisco (Now Technicolor) 9865. On a TWC Plan. Comments from different divisions are welcome with regard to this box and the Arris DCX-M 3600, which I believe is also a six-tuner box. I am still on TWC billing.

One guy in Texas got a six tuner box and found out that the remaining four tuners were disabled. I want to find out more about this. Does this mean that the techs are now giving out six-tuner boxes on the trucks? Did Spectrum do an about face, and are they activating all the tuners? Great if this is the case! The six-tuner boxes are great! I don't have WHDVR, but love the added recording space!

Satch

Anon44bc2
@bhn.net

2 recommendations

Anon44bc2 to jacko15

Anon

to jacko15
TampaBay area; I switched from Brighthouse to Spectrum; I was able to keep the 6-Tuner Arris and WH...... I made the switch because it locked in a Monthly Fee for 12 months whereas my BHN Bill was slated to go off a promo and Increase....and Charter is NOT offering to renew BHN Services with any Discounts forcing you to make the change or pay higher prices