Search similar:

uniqs
snic
join:2009-10-14
usa

1 recommendation

snic

BBU replacement charge?

It seems the battery backup unit (BBU) for my ONT isn't working. It was installed in 2007. Without a battery, it gives no power to the ONT (no LED lights in the ONT, weird flashing lights on the BBU that then stop after some time, going dead). With a battery, it works fine (plugged in or not), but the battery doesn't get charged and eventually runs out. I can replace it with a fresh battery, and that works until the battery runs out (and rinse/repeat).

I have a Verizon tech scheduled to come out tomorrow morning. My question is whether they will charge for fixing this problem (presumably by replacing the BBU), and if so, are there ways to either get them to pay for it or circumvent the BBU entirely (e.g., by running my own 12 V power supply, since I don't need the battery backup).

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

2 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

the big batteries should only be running out every 3-5 years. they will not charge to remove the bbu, as the ont is verizon's property. there may be a charge if you want their new power reserve version, which frankly, isn't as good, (but it's either that or nothing), but there shouldn't be a charge otherwise.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

4 recommendations

gs0b

Others are reporting that Verizon is removing all of the old BBUs and replacing them with the new model. The new model does not have a rechargeable battery. Verizon's solution is to sell you a $40 power reserve, which is a case that hold a bunch of D-cell batteries (not included). You have to switch it on manually to power the ONT.

You will most likely get the new power supply. If you want backup power, don't buy Verizon's power reserve. Instead, buy a UPS. YOu can sometimes get small ones on sale for well under $50. A small one will keep the ONT running for a few hours. If you don't often have outages more than a few hours, a small UPS is fine. If you have longer outages, get a bigger UPS.

Enjoy!
snic
usa

1 recommendation

snic

Thanks, that's great news that they won't charge me to remove the BBU and replace it sith soemthing functional. If it doesn't have a battery, fine by me. The UPS idea is a good one, if I decide it's worth it.

Anonddb65
@verizon.net

Anonddb65

Anon

When your battery backup is replaced, there is usually an option for a free battery reserve. Ask the tech about it. It will come in the mail in a few weeks after the visit.
snic
usa

2 recommendations

snic

The tech just came and replaced the BBU with a non-battery power supply (and didn't charge for it). He said a battery reserve unit would be shipped to me (presumably at no charge, but who knows). I'll still probably plug the power supply into a UPS as soon as I find one on sale, as that will both protect it from surges and keep my internet up during power outages without my having to go plug the unit it.