Search similar:

uniqs

Anon99c1c
@172.98.79.x

6 recommendations

Anon99c1c

Anon

[BHN] Legacy BHN tuning adapter status?

Anyone know what's going on as to what the status is? These things still freeze after a couple weeks of operation.
I have two, one at my Mom's house in Ocala, and mine in Orlando, and they both exhibit this issue. From a internet search I found the BHN archived forum here on this site and it looks like the issue was swept under the rug. So I thought I would ask. Anyone find out anything else on a firmware fix or something other than putting a timer switch on it? How about you guys who had collected logs and data on this device? It is annoying.

ISPGeek
Premium Member
join:2017-04-02
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 recommendations

ISPGeek

Premium Member

said by Anon99c1c :

Anyone know what's going on as to what the status is? These things still freeze after a couple weeks of operation.
I have two, one at my Mom's house in Ocala, and mine in Orlando, and they both exhibit this issue.

Never could duplicate it despite countless attempts honestly wished I could have found whatever you were experiencing. It was never swept under anything and certainly the rug....

I simply could not duplicate it under any conditions WITH one exception being a sudden loss and return of power to the TA. I hated not being able to to find it because it tarnished what was nearly a 100% success rate for me lol.

The cool thing had I been able to find and document it getting it fixed would have been a breeze provided that it wasn't something with no workaround.

Firmware was not the fix at least nothing currently available at that time. I tried both versions and both behaved the same way. Sorry...I know a small group (whos motives we well...don't believe that) but I can tell you now a ton of work went into that oddity from a man hours perspective with zero to show for it other than it hates power glitches.

As for what's going on with it now I have no clue. Can't even help you get it to people who might be able to continue my work as much as I might like to.

Anonc9ec3
@leadertelecom.ru

6 recommendations

Anonc9ec3 to Anon99c1c

Anon

to Anon99c1c
said by Anon99c1c :

I have two, one at my Mom's house in Ocala, and mine in Orlando, and they both exhibit this issue. From a internet search I found the BHN archived forum here on this site and it looks like the issue was swept under the rug. So I thought I would ask. Anyone find out anything else on a firmware fix or something other than putting a timer switch on it? How about you guys who had collected logs and data on this device? It is annoying.

Having this same exact problem. Multiple Tuning Adaptors in house, all on their own UPS. Every couple weeks they become nonresponsive and TiVo Bolts throw up an error. Good info here from last year.

»[TV] The sleepy tuning adapter

And then the trail goes dead. Spent a couple hours on the phone with TiVo support, and after being escalated, was told that it is not a TiVo-unique issue and that it is well known. Only fix is to cycle power on nonresponsive TA.

I was disappointed with this and blamed TiVo ... until I read about folks with other recording devices having exact same issue.

Did an experiment: Rebooted TA and disconnected it from one of my Bolts. Every day I reconnected it to my Bolt, the Bolt recognized it, and I disconnected it again. On the 13th day the Bolt would not recognized it. Power cycled TA and Bolt recognized it. Repeated the procedure twice. Second time TA was inoperative on day 11, third time day 16. It's not my TiVos, as in my tests they were not connected to TA when it finally froze.

Something in the TA is consistently locking up around two weeks of run time. I have read about possible memory leaks or driver issues inside the TA. The TA is basically a stripped-down DOCSIS modem. Got to be firmware or hardware flaw. Lots of reports about this.

Is anyone around from last year where we can start collecting logs and data again and push this with the new provider?

george927
my current approval rating- 32%
join:2016-08-09

3 recommendations

george927 to Anon99c1c

to Anon99c1c
said by Anon99c1c :

It is annoying.

Yes it is.

I have experienced this very issue with two different providers with the Cisco STA1520. Always the excuses are made ... it's a power glitch (no, the TA is on an UPS), or it's the customer's equipment (no, these things lock up by themselves), or [__Fill_in_Excuse__].

So, for now, you have to cycle power. Either a remote switch or digital timer.

It's really sad something like this could not be properly resolved.

Anon57b10
@172.98.85.x

4 recommendations

Anon57b10 to Anonc9ec3

Anon

to Anonc9ec3
New to this site also. Just read thru the Sleepy Tuning Adapter thread. I have this issue twice a month. The adapter is on an UPS here also. Connected to a TiVo (when it works). When the Adapter does not work we just leave it in its 'brick' state and forgo the whole SDV Rube Goldberg arrangement until something rare is on the schedule that we want to see. Don't need it much for the channels we watch.

So, you sound like you were involved with the area where this was investigated. Provide contacts?
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

3 recommendations

mdavej

This is 100% a Cisco issue. I never ever have to reboot my Moto TA.
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

5 recommendations

InternetJeff to Anonc9ec3

to Anonc9ec3
said by Anonc9ec3 :

Is anyone around from last year where we can start collecting logs and data again and push this with the new provider?

As for the legacy Bright House operation, a significant portion of the backend technical support culture still resides there. Spoke to one of them yesterday. The legacy pieces are undergoing rehabilitation, but it is going to take time for the organization to be able to accept a fresh look into entrenched issues like this.

The best that we can do now is continue to collect data and keep this issue front and center to the new organization.

ISPGeek
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 recommendations

ISPGeek to Anonc9ec3

Premium Member

to Anonc9ec3
said by Anonc9ec3 :

said by Anon99c1c :

Having this same exact problem. Multiple Tuning Adaptors in house, all on their own UPS. Every couple weeks they become nonresponsive and TiVo Bolts throw up an error. Good info here from last year.

And then the trail goes dead. Spent a couple hours on the phone with TiVo support, and after being escalated, was told that it is not a TiVo-unique issue and that it is well known. Only fix is to cycle power on nonresponsive TA.

I was disappointed with this and blamed TiVo ... until I read about folks with other recording devices having exact same issue.

Did an experiment: Rebooted TA and disconnected it from one of my Bolts. Every day I reconnected it to my Bolt, the Bolt recognized it, and I disconnected it again. On the 13th day the Bolt would not recognized it. Power cycled TA and Bolt recognized it. Repeated the procedure twice. Second time TA was inoperative on day 11, third time day 16. It's not my TiVos, as in my tests they were not connected to TA when it finally froze.

Something in the TA is consistently locking up around two weeks of run time. I have read about possible memory leaks or driver issues inside the TA. The TA is basically a stripped-down DOCSIS modem. Got to be firmware or hardware flaw. Lots of reports about this.

I don't consider a total amount of less than two hands worth of reliable volunteers (those who can be trusted to go through the steps, work with people etc) over a period of years as LOTS when compared to the number of devices out there.

This was investigated on and off for the better part of two years without a single successful duplication with the exception of when the device encountered loss of power to either the brick or coax (loss of signal). previously described as just loss of power but if we want to get specific it was those two power related examples only. Also the interval reported was closer to a month not two weeks and even the two reports here who were not considered for inclusion as valid examples were closer to a month until some started saying two weeks just recently if memory serves.

I no longer have tuning adapters or would be happy to try once again and make it happen and if it turns out to be something other than a random one off get it to the one remaining guy who I trust could possibly help. Truth be told I was the Tivo/Cablecard/Tuning Adapter expert.

All escalations related to this devices funneled to me so contrary to what you may have read in another post there are no legacy others who worked with me on them because I was a one man show as it applied to these devices well plus a video ops engineer who was quite good but didn't deal with support end of things.

If one of my reliable regulars who experience this want to run some additional long term tests (remember it takes a bloody long time for it to fail just once *IF* its failing at all- which is what made this so difficult in the first place) get with me in IM and I'll help ya out.
sestrada
Premium Member
join:2012-11-05
U.S.A.
·Charter

sestrada to Anonc9ec3

Premium Member

to Anonc9ec3
said by Anonc9ec3 :

I had the ta replaced a few times. Always a sta1520 and always freezes every month or so needing a power cycle to get back up

The folks at silicon dust that make the thing the ta plugs into, told me its a ta problem

Since charter took over last year, i had no tv or internet problems except for the recurring ta issue - now my forth or fifth unit

Moving forward, I'd be hesitant to call charter for another, afriad theyll charge for a service call, or claim they doint support cable cards

Anon20386
@cogentco.com

1 recommendation

Anon20386 to ISPGeek

Anon

to ISPGeek
said by ISPGeek:

said by Anonc9ec3 :

said by Anon99c1c :

I don't consider a total amount of less than two hands worth of reliable volunteers (those who can be trusted to go through the steps, work with people etc) over a period of years as LOTS when compared to the number of devices out there.

This was investigated on and off for the better part of two years without a single successful duplication with the exception of when the device encountered loss of power to either the brick or coax (loss of signal). previously described as just loss of power but if we want to get specific it was those two power related examples only. Also the interval reported was closer to a month not two weeks and even the two reports here who were not considered for inclusion as valid examples were closer to a month until some started saying two weeks just recently if memory serves.

I no longer have tuning adapters or would be happy to try once again and make it happen and if it turns out to be something other than a random one off get it to the one remaining guy who I trust could possibly help. Truth be told I was the Tivo/Cablecard/Tuning Adapter expert.

All escalations related to this devices funneled to me so contrary to what you may have read in another post there are no legacy others who worked with me on them because I was a one man show as it applied to these devices well plus a video ops engineer who was quite good but didn't deal with support end of things.

If one of my reliable regulars who experience this want to run some additional long term tests (remember it takes a bloody long time for it to fail just once *IF* its failing at all- which is what made this so difficult in the first place) get with me in IM and I'll help ya out.

They fail consistently, between 11 and 18 days. That's about two weeks. Two different TAs at two different service locations, mine and my Mom's. They are both on an UPS. I've Googled this and it's been going on for a long time with many people. What I read from you comes across as a blatant defense of the device. I don't know your connection with Cisco or the cable industry, but I'm looking for someone who can help, not someone to declare "nothing to see here, move along".
41009385 (banned)
join:2017-04-19

3 recommendations

41009385 (banned) to ISPGeek

to ISPGeek
I just found this site and joined. I have been having this issue every 10-15 days for over a year when we first got cable. About 12 months ago a brighthouse tech came to the house and repalced the cisco box. He said that the cisco boxes were "garbage" (his words). It happened again 12 days later with new box. I had my brother come out who works for a professional IT service and he put one of those non-interruptable power supplies on it (APC). Covers my tivo and everything. It's good for power outages here in orlando, but the cisco box still goes dead after 10 or so days. Have to unplug it from the APC box and replug. Had another technician come out (different guy) in July and he said my "signals" were good so it must be the tivo. He replaced my cisco box again, and tivo was nice enough to swap out my Roamio after begging and pleading (I did not know any better back then). Cisco box still craps out after 10-15 days. like clockwork. I am on my third box, and even though they are free, they are not very reliable.

We miss recordings on switch-video channels because we are not always around to see the error message from the tivo. I wish the tivo box could email owners when there is an issue.

Anyway, we are at our wits end. Brighthouse did not help us, and we got conflicting info from the technicians. Not like the no-asterisk era many years ago.

Anyone else got any ideas?

~Cheryl
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.

1 edit

3 recommendations

InternetJeff

said by 41009385:

I just found this site and joined. I have been having this issue every 10-15 days for over a year when we first got cable. About 12 months ago a brighthouse tech came to the house and repalced the cisco box. He said that the cisco boxes were "garbage" (his words). It happened again 12 days later with new box. I had my brother come out who works for a professional IT service and he put one of those non-interruptable power supplies on it (APC). Covers my tivo and everything. It's good for power outages here in orlando, but the cisco box still goes dead after 10 or so days. Have to unplug it from the APC box and replug. Had another technician come out (different guy) in July and he said my "signals" were good so it must be the tivo. He replaced my cisco box again, and tivo was nice enough to swap out my Roamio after begging and pleading (I did not know any better back then). Cisco box still craps out after 10-15 days. like clockwork. I am on my third box, and even though they are free, they are not very reliable.

We miss recordings on switch-video channels because we are not always around to see the error message from the tivo. I wish the tivo box could email owners when there is an issue.

Anyway, we are at our wits end. Brighthouse did not help us, and we got conflicting info from the technicians. Not like the no-asterisk era many years ago.

~Cheryl

Cheryl, first welcome to the site. You will find a lot of good info here from various members.

Now, as to the Tuning Adaptor (TA) issue, it is an unfortunate situation we are all stuck with. You should take solace in the fact that you are definitely not alone here, and it is not a "customer issue". It is a provider's equipment issue. Luckily you had access to someone who knew their stuff and put the TA on an UPS. This removes the "power glitch" excuse.

And I'm impressed that you were able to sweet-talk TiVo into replacing your Roamio! They were definitely nice to do that and did not have to. That was not going to fix the problem anyway, but as you say- you had no way of knowing what the deal was.

Until we (those here determined to not let this known issue die) get this resolved, the temporary work-around is to put a programmable timer on the TA and reboot it once a week in the wee hours when nothing is scheduled to record. This is what I use:

»www.amazon.com/Enover-TS ··· f=sr_1_1

I know, it's a kludge. But remember early versions of Windows? We had to reboot the machine, sometimes daily. Sometimes I think that the TA is running Windows 95, LOL.

Hang in there and check back in the forums for developments.

techfury90
join:2015-03-03
Carrboro, NC

1 recommendation

techfury90

Remember how it was literally impossible for Windows 95 to have an uptime over 45 days or so? Can't recall the exact time, but it would eventually hit an overflow or something in one of the system timer drivers and crash at that point.

george927
my current approval rating- 32%
join:2016-08-09

3 recommendations

george927 to 41009385

to 41009385
said by 41009385:

First off, don't let anyone tell you that this is rare, random, or a glitch. Second, pay no attention to anyone questioning the "motives" of those wanting this very real issue resolved.

I have had this issue with this very device with two different providers in the past. The exact same issue. All other causes were eliminated and, like you, I was left holding the bag as uncaring bureaucracies repeatedly told me "just rent one of our set-top boxes". Or "you're imagining it", or "it only happens once a month or longer", or "your UPS must be faulty".

So, hang in there. Some folks are pursuing efforts behind the scenes. Hopefully progress will be made soon.
41009385 (banned)

1 recommendation

41009385 (banned)

Thank you Jeff and George. We just ordered the timer.

And I have to comment on this. I searched and read some of the history. Especially the sleepy tuner page. The whole thing. That was just disgusting how paying customers were treated. If I had seen that last year I NEVER would have signed up with Brighthouse. Hopefully those reps are gone now.

~Cheryl
PrestonD
join:2013-08-23
Port Orange, FL

1 recommendation

PrestonD to Anon99c1c

to Anon99c1c
Having read through this thread I just realized that the TA attached to my TiVo Roamio has to be reset every 10-14 days. BUT my TA attached to my HDHomerun Prime never requires a reset.

Maybe a bad handshake between TiVo and TA?
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.

1 recommendation

InternetJeff

said by PrestonD:

Having read through this thread I just realized that the TA attached to my TiVo Roamio has to be reset every 10-14 days. BUT my TA attached to my HDHomerun Prime never requires a reset.

Maybe a bad handshake between TiVo and TA?

Others with Homerun have had exact same problem.

Device that TA is connected to does not seem to matter.

YMMV.

ISPGeek
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 recommendations

ISPGeek to 41009385

Premium Member

to 41009385
said by 41009385:

Thank you Jeff and George. We just ordered the timer.

And I have to comment on this. I searched and read some of the history. Especially the sleepy tuner page. The whole thing. That was just disgusting how paying customers were treated. If I had seen that last year I NEVER would have signed up with Brighthouse. Hopefully those reps are gone now.

~Cheryl

Cherlump have you ever seen the expression "don't believe everything you read on the internet" - this would be a prime example of it. The two people who you regard as "friends of the fight" are in fact not who and what they appear to be. In fact it's entirely possible neither are you since the thread has been dead forever and only came back to life when they brought it back to life because they know its one of those things that kind of irritates me (or used to, frankly could care less now other than to try and help). Their efforts are frankly wasted unless making me laugh was the intended result.

So real or not I will repeat for anyone else who might read it. The issue @30 day intervals or thereabouts is not unique to BHN or Charter or whatever. Cox and any other provider who uses this combination of equipment have seen the issue in extremely small numbers where compared to actual subs with the devices.

It would appear based on the extensive effort on my part that each provider has looked at it and determined it to be something they aren't responsible for. Regardless of current firmware or not people still claim to have the same result....problem is none of the providers appear to have been successful in duplicating it and the duration between alleged events makes it near impossible to troubleshoot but each has clearly tried.

Without the ability to duplicate itin a sterile or controlled environment there isn't much anyone can do until they get lucky. I tried for over two years and no such luck.

Unless one of my regulars comes forward with a request for me to help them track it down and then forward on the results I have nothing further to say or offer on it so they can say whatever they want, repeating something over and over again doesn't make it right or accurate especially when they aren't part of the process in the first place which is the real reason they keep harping on it. The second poster doesn't even have the product by his own public admission so not exactly sure why he's even bothering to post about it but hey whatever floats your boat.
41009385 (banned)

2 recommendations

41009385 (banned)

ISPgeek, I don't get where you're coming from. It sounds paranoid (sorry). I simply came here for an issue we have been having with this box. And the second poster (Anonc9ec3) says he has the exact problem that plagues us, so I don't know where you are going saying that he doesn't have the box.

I'm new here and don't know you and it sounds like starting with your third paragraph that you have been involved with testing with people who have this box, so do you work for cisco? No need to be defensive about your product if so.

One final thing- I dont take kindly to being jumped on when looking for help in a internet forum You insinuated that I was not what I appeared. Fine, if you dont have the answer just let others help. The ones who have replied so far here and at the tivo forums have been really helpful. I don't want drama.

Anon1070b
@psychz.net

2 recommendations

Anon1070b to Anon99c1c

Anon

to Anon99c1c
I am having this issue also. About every 10-12 day. Service is in Palm Bay, and I have had the tuning adapter replaced. Everything is on uninterruptible power. Cisco needs to fix their gear.
41009385 (banned)

2 recommendations

41009385 (banned) to Anon99c1c

to Anon99c1c
Hi all,

I wanted to come back and share additional info on the Cisco TA box. Had a few chats with folks on the Tivo forums, and they shared some links with me. This is indeed a widespread problem.

»www.tivocommunity.com/co ··· 11198634

»www.tivocommunity.com/co ··· 11179535

We just got our timer hooked up and have it set to cycle power for 20 minutes at 3AM on Wednesdays. Will see how it goes. Maybe the Cisco guy (I assume) who was here talking about all testing he did can look at how widespread this is. Fix your stuff!

~Cheryl

Anone0df4
@purevpn.com

1 recommendation

Anone0df4 to Anon99c1c

Anon

to Anon99c1c
Wow- months and months and no resolution on this.

RandyWalters
join:2011-06-30
El Segundo, CA

2 recommendations

RandyWalters

said by Anone0df4 :

Wow- months and months and no resolution on this.

Actually it's been years and years. Mine has been freezing 1 or 2 times per month since i first got it way back in June 2011 (on my Tivo S3 OLED). Then my 2nd one has been doing the same thing since i got it in Oct 2014 (on my Premiere). Sometimes they'll both stop tuning at the same time, and other time one will stop tuning while the other is still working properly. It's random. Everybody i know with a Tivo and a TA has the same issue, and there have been countless people on AVS and TCF since TAs first became required that have the same issue. It's a real and ongoing problem despite the naysayer.

In addition to my TA's freezing, my little DTA basic cable tuner box randomly stops tuning, and my Cisco and Arris DVRs also randomly stop tuning. Rebooting these devices restores functionality.

It will never end.
41009385 (banned)

2 recommendations

41009385 (banned) to ISPGeek

to ISPGeek
ISPgeek: You never did answer me- Do/did you work for Cisco? What is the basis for the testing you claim? What is the current status of the issue at Cisco? After just a little research on this, it appears to be a widespread issue. Numerous reports on this from across the internet- AVS, TCF, DSLR, and other ISP provider forums.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

ISPgeek doesn't work for Cisco. He was in a "customer advocate" sort of position for BHN until Charter took over.
41009385 (banned)

1 recommendation

41009385 (banned)

said by DocDrew:

ISPgeek doesn't work for Cisco. He was in a "customer advocate" sort of position for BHN until Charter took over.

Oh, okay ... ooohh!, BHN ... that explains it. Dry well there.

Thanks,

-Cheryl