uniqs
MrEdL
join:2017-04-19
New York, NY

3 edits

3 recommendations

MrEdL

Franklin r850 hack

I received a Sprint Franklin r850 from work last week and it came partially broken. The power button will not work after turning the device on. Very annoying. The device also tends to remain disconnected after loosing signal (when going through the subway tunnels). I was looking for a way to power off the device or reboot the device without taking out the battery. I failed on finding a web menu to power off but did find a reboot menu along with other very interesting features; including the ability to enable ssh, tethering, set band priority, and much more. Anyone interested?

sample menu

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

1 recommendation

xrayman

Yes I am interested.
MrEdL
New York, NY

3 recommendations

MrEdL

1st the disclaimer...
There are lots of menus in this "hidden" page. I take no responsibility if you or anyone whom uses this information with averse results. I will take kudos if this improves your service.

here it goes... released out to the internet... no turning back

»myhotspot/hidden
or
»192.168.128.1/hidden

Yup, that simple. Before changing anything, I suggest turning off auto update; just incase Sprint or Franklin Wireless patches this hole in their next firmware update. Also, please post the changes you done and how it affected your service.

Enjoy!

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

1 recommendation

xrayman to MrEdL

to MrEdL
Thanks!

TSWYO
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

TSWYO to MrEdL

Premium Member

to MrEdL
Have you messed with SSH?
MrEdL
New York, NY

1 recommendation

MrEdL

I have not. I have only change the band priority. Hopefully someone adventurous will explore the menus and post back their findings.

TSWYO
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

TSWYO

Premium Member

I have been playing around a bit as this device and service is a novelty now. SSH could be a golden opportunity to attempt to mess with power settings. I would love to find a way to see if I can improve reception with this unit, without having to adapter the sh*t out of it.

Anon65390
@spcsdns.net

2 recommendations

Anon65390 to MrEdL

Anon

to MrEdL
I played around a little with this and enabled "tethering","modem port 0","dm port 0","netdm" in various combinations.
Before I enabled "tethering", when I plugged it into a linux machine, I tailed -f on /var/log/syslog" and saw nothing, but after I enabled tethering I saw some error messages like "device not responding to set address" and "read error". Not sure what this means, but
it didn't seem to be recognized as a valid usb device although it is doing something.

I'd like to get it to work as a usb modem for my router someday.

Anonddfb3
@spcsdns.net

2 recommendations

Anonddfb3

Anon

On a windoze machine turning on just tethering enables a USB composite device, and through it a USB Ethernet device, a cdc serial device also comes along, though windows7 had no inbuilt driver for it.

for the tux crowd this may help.

Composite: USB\VID_1076&PID_9082&REV_0310
Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device: USB\VID_1076&PID_9082&REV_0310&MI_00
CDC Serial: USB\VID_1076&PID_9082&REV_0310&MI_06

USB Ethernet confirmed working, posted this using the device via USB only, non-WiFi client.

Anon65390
@spcsdns.net

1 recommendation

Anon65390

Anon

Interesting! Thanks for the report. I'll try and duplicate this tonight.

Anon26e8c
@spcsdns.net

1 recommendation

Anon26e8c

Anon

tethering duplicated

After enabling only the tether mode in the service menu my windows 7 machine automatically loaded the drivers needed to surf. Also, the restore factory defaults will reset any changes made in the hidden menu pertaining to bands, but it will not restore any changes made in the service settings menu. Would like to know if the factory reset requiring a msl would reset the changes made in the service menu.

Also, I'm afraid to try it, but I'd like to use bridge mode, but am unsure
if I'd lose access to the web interface or if I'd still be able to get at it by setting a static ip of say 192.168.128.7 and then logging in.

Anonf5417
@spcsdns.net

1 recommendation

Anonf5417

Anon

So noone has figured out the login and password for SSH on this device yet? I have tried, no luck. Do have ssh login prompt and all seems to work, just need user and password.
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

1 recommendation

Fickey

I don't own this device, but of course there's lots of possibilities like admin/1234 admin/blank admin/MSL# blank/blank etc. I'd check these topics on howardforums:
»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· -Antenna
»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· -service
or here:
»slickdeals.net/f/9203771 ··· ship-fee
LUCIUS2
join:2017-07-04

1 recommendation

LUCIUS2 to MrEdL

to MrEdL
Hi, I live in Argentina, and I got a Franklin R850 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot in the US a few days ago. I replaced the inside Sprint SIM with one I bought here at a local carrier shop. On the first run the device seemed to work well, but without connection to the local mobile network.
Reconfiguring the APN settings at the hidden menu of the web UI, I have changed the default APN data to the one of the local carrier. When clicking to apply, a rebooting message appeared on the PC screen and the device locked displaying the message “Settings Reset. Restarting…”.I have to remove the battery to make the device resume working, but the display after showing the message “Settings: »myhotspot”, it does not show any more. When pressing the power button, Wi-Fi Name, Wi-Fi Password, and all other settings are empty. It seems the device does not boot, and I cannot access to it through the UI. Pressing the Factory Reset Button makes the device to lock displaying “Settings Reset. Restarting…”.
I am not making any complain just relating my experience. Regards