All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rongos
join:2017-06-10

3 edits

rongos

[TWC] Universal Remote code for Spectrum 101-T box?

Hi! I recently got the Spectrum 101-T cable box and am trying to get my older universal remote to work with it. It, of course, does not list any programming code for the new Spectrum 101-T. I spent a few hours going through the universal remote's auto scan process and trying out different codes with no luck. I found codes like Scientific Atlanta codes that will change the channels on the Spectrum, but will not turn it off and on, which is what I really want to do. Anyone know if there are older make and model codes that will work with the new Spectrum's 101-T? Who manufactures the Spectrum's 101-T? Thanks.

Anon6e2bd
@verizon.net

Anon6e2bd

Anon

Couldn't find any codes yet but I found the manufacturer. It seems to be Humax Co., Ltd. Don't know why it's on the FCC's site, but thankfully it was. What model remote control do you have?

»fccid.io/O6ZSPECTRUM101-H
rongos
join:2017-06-10

rongos

It's an older remote from X10 Powerhouse, very old.

Thanks for the info that the Spectrum is made by Humax, that might help me even though it's not in my remote's list.

I am currently trying to google newer remotes that support Spectrum (that I don't own), check their manual to see what codes from other makes/models they match up with, and see if that matches anything in my current remote. No luck so far.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

2 edits

1 recommendation

mdavej

Check out the JP1 forums. We've hacked hundreds of super cheap remotes so that they can control anything. One of the nicest ones these days is the OARUSB04G. It's ususally under $10 shipped on ebay. Amazing remote for that price (backlit, learning, 12 devices, activities, macros, volume punch thru, graphical programming via PC, pronto hex import, device multiplexing, device specific punch thru and macros, 5 functions per button (short press, long press, double press, shifted and double shifted), unlimited macro length, nested subroutines, conditional branching, state tracking, and access to huge UEI and JP1 code database). By the way, UEI also makes most cable and satellite remotes along with URC.

Anything on this list can control a Humax cable box.
»www.hifi-remote.com/wiki ··· oteChart

And obviously, any cheap learning remote can also control it.

Anon6e2bd
@verizon.net

Anon6e2bd to rongos

Anon

to rongos
First thing you should look for and compare is how many digits are in the codes used by the cable box. Most older remotes use a 3 digit code system while newer ones use 4. From what I can find on google, Humax uses a 4 digit code while the X10 uses 3 digit codes, so I don't think it will be compatible.

»forums.digitalspy.com/di ··· -devices

»files.buyitsellit.com/81 ··· list.pdf
mdavej
united state

2 recommendations

mdavej

Remote 101 class in session.

Unfortunately, number of digits in codes have zero correlation to compatibility. While old remotes do use few digits (because there were fewer codes in use back then), there are plenty of old codes still in use that have 4 and 5 digit versions today. And since every universal maker has their own code numbering system, you can't compare X10 to URC to UEI to any other maker. They're all different and completely unrelated.

The important thing is the protocol, device and subdevice that each code represents. In the case of Humax, 99% chance that's going to be NEC1 0.16, of which there are about 20 matching codes in a UEI remote (maker of Charter remotes). Unfortunately, X10 is very unlikely to have this code since it is shared mostly by a bunch of European satellite receiver brands and won't be found in most universals sold in the American market.

Luckily, if you have the Charter remote that came with the box and it's UEI, then there is a simple to find the Humax code. Tap CBL, hold SETUP for 2 blinks, 990, tap 1 and count the number of blinks (1st digit of code), tap 2 and count blinks (2nd digit) and so on up to 5 (depending on the remote). This will give you the UEI code. If I were a betting man, my money is on 1176 (01176). But there is also a chance that when Charter commissioned this box they specified that Technicolor and Humax use an entirely different code they'd never used before, in which case I can make no educated guess.

In a UEI remote with 5 digit codes, the first digit represents the device type (0 for cable, 1 for tv, 2 for DVD/VCR/BD, and 3 for audio), typically. On 4 digit remotes the device button determines the device type (but these can sometimes be reassigned).

As for using your X10 remote, it's very unlikely to have this code, just as there is zero chance it would have a Roku code or Sony Bluray code as these use new protocols or device/subdevice combinations that did not exist when the remote was made.

If you use your X10 remote to control your lighting, then any new remote won't be able to do that unless you have or get an IR-543 base unit that converts IR commands to powerline. If you want to pursue that, I can post the codes.

Regarding the JP1 remotes I posted earlier, it doesn't matter if it has a bulit in code or not since we can load any code from a PC or Mac into it. Or you can simply learn the commands into a learning remote.

So having said all that, there are many simple and complex solutions to your problem. I'd start simple and just get the OARUSB04G which very likely has a built in code, or can load a new code or can learn from the original remote. So all your bases are covered for about $10.

If price is no object, get a $40 Harmony that will definitely control it out of the box.

Anon6e2bd
@verizon.net

Anon6e2bd

Anon

Thanks for the lesson. Never had the need to dig into the specifics of IR. I assumed since the remote used a 3 digit code system, none of the 4 digit codes would work, even if the remote could physically create the IR light for that code.

"As for using your X10 remote, it's very unlikely to have this code"

Just to clarify, was I right in saying the X10 remote won't be compatible?
mdavej
united state

1 recommendation

mdavej

Definitely. I would be very surprised if he found an X10 code that worked. But the reason has more to do with Humax using European codes, not necessarily new codes.

Many brands have used the same codes forever. So (using made up numbers), a Sony TV code 123 on an X10 remote works just the same as a Sony TV code 10742 code on a brand new UEI remote. Humax has also been around a long time and has used the same codes most of that time. So an old European One-for-all like the URC-3440 will still control a brand new Humax box.

On the JP1 site we have thousands of codes going back almost 20 years and can see the progression and relationships.

I'll be very interested to see what the code from the blink back actually is.

Anon53840
@2605:6000.x

Anon53840 to rongos

Anon

to rongos
Click for full size
Spectrum refusing to share the code
Did you find the answer? I just asked their tech support and they refused to tell me the code.

I want to use my xbox one to control it but i need the code too.

Anonc6150
@2600:1017.x

Anonc6150 to rongos

Anon

to rongos
Why u need the box off? Does not save any power if thats ur intention?
mdavej
united state

mdavej

Maybe you guys drifted off before you finished reading my novel above. But this is 100% solvable if you just do what I said, starting with the blink back procedure on the existing remote. That tells you the code. From there we can figure out potential candidates for other remotes (which use different code systems). If you really want a solution, post your request in the slingbox code search at hifi-remote.com/forums, and we'll be happy to crack this. Nobody at Charter or on this board is going to be able to help you.

Anon56911
@rr.com

Anon56911 to rongos

Anon

to rongos
Their are two providers for World Box 1.1 Humax (which hasn't rolled out to all markets yet) and Cisco/Technicolor (should be in all markets by now).
jcwillia1
join:2014-12-08

jcwillia1 to mdavej

to mdavej
That code didn’t work. Somehow time warner put this box in my grandfathers apartment and left without giving him the remote.

I told him to call than back and call them on their bull.
Techie01
join:2014-11-21
USA

Techie01 to rongos

to rongos
The Spectrum 101-T is by Technicolor which used to be cisco. Does your remote have a model number on the back/bottom of it or inside the battery compartment?

Anon88fe1
@twcable.com

Anon88fe1 to rongos

Anon

to rongos
000, 001, or 002

Anon5511a
@verizon.net

Anon5511a to rongos

Anon

to rongos
My Cisco DTA271HD and Arris STB both respond to an old Adelphia-era Scientific Atlanta remote. Try the SA codes? I can't imagine they've reinvented the wheel.
EricNC
join:2018-01-23
Charlotte, NC

2 edits

EricNC to rongos

to rongos
These boxes are made by Cisco. I noticed the four digit remote codes that GE includes for cisco cable boxes do work. I did not have the numbers in front currently, but they are in the GE 4 device universal remote that sells at Walmart or other places for about $12. I'll post later.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

These boxes also respond to Scientific Atlanta codes (01877 on Charter and other UEI made remotes). So try SA codes on whatever universal you get. The JP1 site also has device upgrade files for these boxes that can be easily converted to pronto hex for URC and similar. But since SA codes are ubiquitous and have been around forever, built in SA codes on any universal should work fine.
EricNC
Charlotte, NC

EricNC

2434, 2424 are the most common codes.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

said by EricNC:

2434, 2424 are the most common codes.

On what brand universal remote, GE?
EricNC
Charlotte, NC

EricNC

It is GE.

lml2000
Whazzup
join:2000-08-17
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

lml2000 to mdavej

to mdavej
Question. New to Spectrum CATV services. Tech installed Motorola DCX-3400 box with RC-122 remote. Surprised no 30 sec skip function. Have read elsewhere box has 30 sec skip capability, but not available using given remote. Got older Charter remote to control box using 01982 code, but following instructions located online, unsuccessful to program 30 sec skip. No 2 blinks, disabled Rew button which I was able to undo. Any idea how to program 30 sec skip with this box? TIA.
dowop8
join:2012-10-30
N.E Ohio

1 recommendation

dowop8 to rongos

to rongos
Just got the box yesterday & Harmony 650 works.
Just typed in Spectrum & 101-T for the model #.
Now if i could figure out how to get a surround sound signal out of it instead of stereo I would be happy.
mdavej
united state

1 recommendation

mdavej to lml2000

to lml2000
said by lml2000:

Question. New to Spectrum CATV services. Tech installed Motorola DCX-3400 box with RC-122 remote. Surprised no 30 sec skip function. Have read elsewhere box has 30 sec skip capability, but not available using given remote. Got older Charter remote to control box using 01982 code, but following instructions located online, unsuccessful to program 30 sec skip. No 2 blinks, disabled Rew button which I was able to do. Any idea how to program 30 sec skip with this box? TIA.

You have to follow the second DCX procedure below because the skip exists in a different device code (GI Cable, not XMP) which you must program to another device then keymove from that device.
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ho ··· ond_Skip

This is assuming they haven't disabled it entirely.

lml2000
Whazzup
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

lml2000

Thanks for response, mdavej. What you suggest is precisely what I tried before posting here yesterday. Followed instructions at the same link. Purchased a C4000 remote (silver) on Amazon in hope I could enable 30 sec skip feature not possible with RC-122 because it lacks a setup button. I tried instructions for both "silver" as well as "dark grey," instructions to which you refer. Tried several times. No double blink after activating setup mode. My conclusion is same as yours -- they likely disabled the function with newly programmed box, which responds to 01982 code, not 00176 code. Any further insights appreciated.
mdavej
united state

1 recommendation

mdavej

said by lml2000:

Thanks for response, mdavej. What you suggest is precisely what I tried before posting here yesterday. Followed instructions at the same link. Purchased a C4000 remote (silver) on Amazon in hope I could enable 30 sec skip feature not possible with RC-122 because it lacks a setup button. I tried instructions for both "silver" as well as "dark grey," instructions to which you refer. Tried several times. No double blink after activating setup mode. My conclusion is same as yours -- they likely disabled the function with newly programmed box, which responds to 01982 code, not 00176 code. Any further insights appreciated.

The remote programming should be successful whether the box accepts the new command or not. Also, while the box does not respond to 1376 overall, it should respond to just the skip code in the 1376 codeset.

The C4000 looks great but is far more limited than some other Atlas or even a Comcast (silver or grey) remote. If it's not too late to cancel, a different remote would be better.

In any case, I dug up an Atlas and got it to work as follows. The procedure is slightly different for other remotes, so I need to know exactly which old Charter remote you have.

First, you may have to unlock CBL code lock: Tap CBL, Hold Setup for 2 blinks, 982 (2 blinks = locked, 4 blinks = unlocked).

Next, to get the AUX or AUD button to accept a CBL code, you may have to do a Mode Map change: Hold Setup for 2 blinks, 992, CBL, AUX (2 blinks for success). If this doesn't work, then go back and do the CBL code unlock again and make sure you see 4 blinks.

Now you can assign a CBL code to AUX: Tap AUX, Hold Setup for 2 blinks, 1376 (or 01376 depending on the remote) (2 blinks for success)

Finally, you can assign the advanced code (EFC) to AUX, then keymove it to CBL mode: Steps 4-10 of the linked DCX procedure (2 blinks for success). You have to do the steps fairly quickly or it won't work.

Unfortunately I don't have a Charter cable box to test myself, but it should work fine.

If $4 won't break the bank, I highly recommend you get a JP1 cable like this and do all this programming from a computer using Remote Master. Goes much easier than all this complicated 99x code nonsense.
»www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-FT ··· 12195878

»www.hifi-remote.com/wiki ··· _Version

news4la
join:2009-01-05
Universal City, CA

news4la to rongos

to rongos
That might be the new Technicolor box.
mdavej
united state

1 recommendation

mdavej

We got off topic in the last few posts. The Moto DCX-3400 is NOT the Technicolor box. Please ignore any posts related to the Moto.

We've already established that SA codes work on the Technicolor boxes, NOT the Moto codes (01982, 01376) and NOT Cisco or Humax codes as I speculated earlier, before getting confirmation about the SA codes from other 101-T and 201-T owners.

The answer to the original question is Scientific Atlanta codes.

news4la
join:2009-01-05
Universal City, CA

news4la

I found some old SA codes when I used to use their box and my remote. I will give them just in case they work. 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0027, 0046. There is not many of them. Give it a try all your losing is some time.

lml2000
Whazzup
Los Angeles, CA

lml2000 to mdavej

to mdavej
Thanks for f/up, mdavej. Not too late to return remote I have. In-fact, unless I can enable 30 sec skip, there's no reason to keep it. Amazon will take back up to 30 days. Here's a link to the exact remote I purchased. »www.amazon.com/Charter-O ··· 014A50GE

Tried following your instructions. Assume after holding setup & getting 2 blinks of CBL to enter 982. No blinking; nada.

Bottom line, I spent $6 for remote I have, & unless I can get it to work, I intend to return it to Amazon. I can't believe Spectrum is delivering DVRs to subs that don't offer 30 sec skip function. It's ridiculous. I need it b/c I typically watch sports delayed or recorded & use 30 sec skip b/t snaps (football) & pitches (baseball). Willing to spend up to $15-20 for a remote that offers 30 sec skip function to box I'm stuck with so long as I have Spectrum CATV.

If get remote you cite, can you "guarantee" to get 30 sec skip to work with DCX-3400 box? TIA.