dsl2cable

Does Charter offers IPV6?

Does it help on anything?

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

3 recommendations

Demonfang

Yes, but it's hit and miss depending on the area. It helps if you want to connect to sites that are IPV6 only, as well as gameservers that only have IPV6, both of which are going to make up a larger and larger percentage of the internet over the next 10-20 years.

samthegam
join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA

samthegam to dsl2cable

to dsl2cable
No IPv6 in Monterey Park yet on legacy Charter. Legacy Time Warner Cable does have it.
dsl2cable
join:2006-02-11
Los Angeles, CA

dsl2cable to Demonfang

to Demonfang
So, in order for me to find out I would have to give Charter a call, not like I need it, I have the option on my router to enable it.
dsl2cable

dsl2cable to samthegam

to samthegam
Oh, okay, thank you.

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

4 recommendations

Demonfang to dsl2cable

to dsl2cable
You would just need to enable it in your router. If you have it, you will get an IPV6 address; If not, nothing will happen.
dsl2cable
Los Angeles, CA

dsl2cable

I do have the option on my router. Thank you.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

3 recommendations

kherr

Premium Member

this will tell you

»test-ipv6.com/
dsl2cable
Los Angeles, CA

dsl2cable

I'll test it when I get home. Thanks.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

2 recommendations

maartena to dsl2cable

Premium Member

to dsl2cable
I am ambivalent on the "does it help on anything?" question.... Obviously, IPv6 is needed. We ran out of IPv4 addresses, and we need it to keep the internet growing. But at THIS point in time, do you really need it? I am not so sure....

I had IPv6 when I had TWC. When I switched to AT&T Gigapower I lost the ability to do IPv6 because of the way their gateway works with your own router and the fact they used some really botched up 6rd implementation. Recently, about 4 weeks ago AT&T implemented full dual stack, so I have IPv6 again.

But besides being able to say "I have IPv6 and my tests say 10/10", I am not certain it really is of any advantage. Not yet, anyways. It will become more important in the future, but as of right now there are no IPv6-only websites or hosts that can't be reached using IPv4, besides a few obscure university test sites or so. And that would make sense too, as as a website you want to reach the world, not just the part of the world that has IPv6.

IPv6 is often routed differently, so experiences may vary. When I had IPv6 with TWC, and I would go to youtube.com, it recognized my IPv6 address as being west coast therefore the youtube data center in the bay area is the closest..... however, it routed my traffic over Ashburn, VA. So I went from LA to the east coast, and then back to SF.... where IPv4 had a straight route from LA to SF.

Now this may have been fixed already, but it is just one of things I found. IPv6 itself is ready for deployment worldwide, and every device should have it. But how ISP's implement it, and how the back end routing is configured.... leaves much to be desired.

So, TL;DR on the question "does it help anything?": It depends.

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to dsl2cable

to dsl2cable
IPV6 not available in our Legacy BHN Bakersfield area just IPV4
Old CCNA
join:2017-07-08
Asheville, NC

3 recommendations

Old CCNA to dsl2cable

to dsl2cable
I recently installed a new router to support 802.11ac wireless and discovered that the router picked up an IPv6 address in addition to IPv4. Configured it on my LAN side of the router, and ran for several weeks as dual-stack network. Found speeds to be slightly to significantly faster with IPv6 tests than Iv4. The more distant the site, the more significant that difference.

Apparently Charter flashed my cable modem at some point, as the "Modem's IP Mode" which used to say IPv4 Only, now says "Alternate Provisioning Mode"

Then I noticed sites timing out, pages slow to load, etc. With a little trouble shooting I found that IPv6 was down on the WAN side of my router, as apparently Charter has disabled it at least in my area.
Configured router for IPv4 only to eliminate performance problems.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all this is Charter
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

3 recommendations

scooper

Legacy TWC here - IPv6 working. testipv6.com showing 10/10.
Old CCNA
join:2017-07-08
Asheville, NC

Old CCNA

Yea, I had 10/10 but now 7/10.

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium Member
join:2000-07-03
Lancaster, CA
·Frontier FiberOp..
(Software) pfSense
eero Pro 6

racer9876 to dsl2cable

Premium Member

to dsl2cable
Spectrum's deployment of IPv6 is not uniform and being rolled out area by area, so it's all over the place.

If you don't have native IPv6 connectivity, you can use their 6rd tunnel service.

6rd Prefix: 2602:100::/32
6rd Border Relay: 68.114.165.1
6rd IPv4 Prefix Length: 0

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

Does this thing actually still work? Last I tried it didn't.

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium Member
join:2000-07-03
Lancaster, CA

racer9876

Premium Member

It is for me. My area is very behind the times: no upstream channel bonding, standard tier is still 60 Mbps, and no IPv6.

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

I have all the upgrades: 24x4, 100/10, etc..., they're even doing new construction across the road from me. I'll take another shot at making ipv6 native work tonight, but failing that I'll probably just use 6rd for the time being.
Demonfang

Demonfang to racer9876

to racer9876
»blog.cachemiss.com/artic ··· /Charter 6rd IPV6 Tunnel on DD-WRT.pod

This tutorial seems to work, if you have dd-wrt anyway.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth

Premium Member

I use a tunnelbroker.net (Hurricane Electric) tunnel. It works great for me, but for some reason my son can't play his damned Playstation Network games when it's enabled.

Tim
desarollo
join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

desarollo to racer9876

to racer9876
said by racer9876:

Spectrum's deployment of IPv6 is not uniform and being rolled out area by area, so it's all over the place.

It is also not terribly reliable. I have been getting IPV6 addresses assigned to clients, but the routing fails occasionally. Gets into Charter's network and stops.
Traveller
join:2002-10-10
Asheville, NC

Traveller to dsl2cable

to dsl2cable
testmyipv6.com has been saying 9/10 since Spectrum took over for my TWC. The failure each time is that Spectrum's DNS servers are not working

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

3 recommendations

Demonfang

There should be an option in your router to input dns servers for ipv6, much like ipv4

Opendns:
2620:0:ccc::2
2620:0:ccd::2

Google:
2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844

idk what you're referring to with 9/10 on that site, I'm not seeing it. I recommend »ipv6-test.com/

samthegam
join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA

1 edit

3 recommendations

samthegam to dsl2cable

to dsl2cable
Just rebooted my modem & router and now have IPv6 in Monterey Park, CA 91754
arbit3r9
Nighthawk RAX80 Arris SB8200 rev4
join:2006-02-08
Dorr, MI

2 recommendations

arbit3r9 to dsl2cable

to dsl2cable
I've had access to IPv6 on charter for probably 2 years now, mostly using 6RD. Native IPv6 started a few months ago when got 4 channel bonding enabled.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to Demonfang

to Demonfang
If your router won't let you put the IPv6 DNS servers in, you can on your Windows clients. My Netgear WNR3500 has provision for IPv4 DNS servers, but not IPv6. Putting in the OpenDNS and Google IPv6 DNS servers on my PC takes care of it for now. When I decide to get a replacement router, hopefully it will support IPv6 more fully.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew to Traveller

Premium Member

to Traveller
Can post a screenshot of the results? I'm not seeing that on »testmyipv6.com
I basically just see that yes I have a working IPv6 address. No number rating.

I'm trying to figure out what the error you're seeing is so we can help you better.

If you're testing at »test-ipv6.com and the last test errors it's because TWC doesn't have DNS servers at IPv6 addresses. They have long had its IPv4 DNS servers handing out IPv6 addresses. DNS servers don't have to be located at IPv6 addresses. You can see more details about that at »ipv6-test.com
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

Congratulations, you have connected to a server that will display your method of connectivity, either IPv6 (preferred) or IPv4 (old and crusty). This page is fairly plain and non-flashy for a reason -- decreased bandwidth for testing applications and devices that are using limited-bandwidth connectivity and/or limited support for advanced HTML/XHTML features.

Excellent!

You are successfully using IPv6 to connect to this server!

Your IPv6 address is 2605:*******************

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI

Defiance to dsl2cable

Premium Member

to dsl2cable
I get 19/20 on »ipv6-test.com/. Only thing that fails is the IPv6 hostname which i no biggie. We had IPv6 foe over a year in Burlingtoin, WI.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

2 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

When Charter activated IPv6 in my legacy Charter area we got hostnames too. I get 20/20 on that test. Even ex TWC didn't do that.