uniqs

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

2 recommendations

Morac to kdex86

to kdex86

Re: [HD] MPEG-4 Migration ("HD Enhanced Program")

said by kdex86:

In Massachusetts, they went from using 33 QAM channels for 101 non-OTA HD channels to 13 - that's MORE than half! Even more appalling, they could have gone no more than 7 HD channels to a QAM (5.5 Mbps each), and it would have used 15 QAM's - just 2 more than they are using now!

I had a tech out today for an unrelated issue and I showed him the picture quality of the new channels and he could easily see the difference. He was aware of the switch to MPEG-4, but not of the switch to 720p. What's kind of odd is that he's in an area that already switched and he said he never noticed it before. He's using the X1 platform.

Speaking of quality, I took a photo of GoT on my TV (Comcast) and on my iPad (HBO Go) side by side and the photo speaks volumes.

»twitter.com/Morac/status ··· 85472257
kdex86
join:2016-06-10
Norton, MA

kdex86

said by Morac:

Speaking of quality, I took a photo of GoT on my TV (Comcast) and on my iPad (HBO Go) side by side and the photo speaks volumes.

Not quite a pure "apples to apples" comparison, but wow, I can notice the difference! Streaming services are really putting cable to shame.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by kdex86:

Not quite a pure "apples to apples" comparison, but wow, I can notice the difference! Streaming services are really putting cable to shame.

I wanted to do an apple to apple comparison, but the HBO Go App on my iPad blocks screen shots. I was trying to do a comparison of the TiVo app (stream from my TiVo) to the HBO Go app.

Also ignore the color differences my iPad had "night shift" on which removes the blue colors. Focus on the complete lack of features on the character's face.

I may take a photo of the HBO Go App on my TV and compare it to Comcast at some point, but this was something I did really quickly where I didn't have to edit two photos together. I actually could take a short video and put up a side by side comparison. That wouldn't take too long actually.
Morac

2 recommendations

Morac

So here's a comparison video of Xfinity on TiVo to HBO Go on Roku (same TV, all connections HDMI). I'll admit it's not that easy to tell the difference at times, but others it's fairly obvious which is Xfinity and which is HBO Go.

»youtu.be/28fvNETx4Gs
JohnnyH12
join:2008-01-10
Cary, IL

1 recommendation

JohnnyH12

The work is appreciated, but it'd be nice if someone with capture technology could do a comparison. A camera adds too many variables to be a good comparison.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by JohnnyH12:

The work is appreciated, but it'd be nice if someone with capture technology could do a comparison. A camera adds too many variables to be a good comparison.

I can capture recordings without an issue. It's capturing HBO Go that's the problem, so I didn't bother.