Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

2 edits

5 recommendations

chpalmer

Broadcom Chip Spectrum Analyzer

Click for full size
Lots of questions about how to use and understand the spectrum analyzer available on the latest Broadcom offerings. Arris SB8200, Motorola MB8600 ect..

Typing in »192.168.100.1:8080 will bring you to a user/password page which opens to this graphic.. Chrome or Safari supported only according to the page. edit to add- But Microsoft Edge also works..

This page is also available to your ISP on their maintenance network.
chpalmer

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Click for full size
Clicking the run button will show you everything coming down your cable from 0 to just over 1200mhz.
chpalmer

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Go to the frequency tab and enter a frequency. Press the MHZ button. Your page will adjust to your new frequency.
chpalmer

2 recommendations

chpalmer

Choose a span.. Im using a 30mhz span here. Click the mhz button.
chpalmer

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Click for full size
My graph now adjusts to my choices and show the spectrum between 594mhz and 624mhz as Ive chosen..
chpalmer

2 recommendations

chpalmer

Click for full size
Go to the "BW" tab and choose Vid Avg. Now you can actually make out the digital channel bandwidth.
chpalmer

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Click for full size
If I readjust my frequency to the end of my node's spectrum you can make out the final channel which is analog on the plant.
chpalmer

2 recommendations

chpalmer

Actually interpreting the results is another conversation.

But your not going to break anything here by looking. And when someone asks for a screenshot now you have a little more knowledge on how to do it.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

1 recommendation

RR Conductor to chpalmer

Premium Member

to chpalmer
What is the username and password? The ones I use to login into the main modem page aren't working.

chpalmer
join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

chpalmer

said by RR Conductor:

What is the username and password? The ones I use to login into the main modem page aren't working.

With the Motorola they are the same as the GUI. admin motorola With the Arris I do not know. I assume its admin/admin by default.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 recommendation

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by chpalmer:

said by RR Conductor:

With the Motorola they are the same as the GUI. admin motorola With the Arris I do not know. I assume its admin/admin by default.

I have the Moto SB8600, I changed the Username and Password from the default ones when I bought it, they work fine for the GUI, but they get rejected on the Spectrum page.

Edit-NM, they work okay on my Laptop using Chrome, it seems Chrome on my S8+ doesn't like it.
RR Conductor

1 recommendation

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Click for full size
It shows spectrum up to and over 800, but the frequencies on my SB8600 go from 531 to 699. Does that mean they have a bunch of spectrum that isn't being used, or is that for TV? They don't offer phone service here.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

2 recommendations

BlueMist to chpalmer

to chpalmer
said by chpalmer:

on the Arris Spectrum Analyzer try admin / password
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA

2 recommendations

JoeKustra

On my SB6183 there is no password. It does require Chrome, etc. though. Perhaps the fact I own it makes a difference?

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

2 recommendations

BlueMist

said by JoeKustra:

On my SB6183 there is no password. It does require Chrome, etc. though. Perhaps the fact I own it makes a difference?

Could be, in my case I was testing with a SB8200 I own and have hooked up to my Charter line. Charter does not support it yet as far as I know but they did not stop me from installing and activating it with their manual phone activation system.

Like you mentioned it did not want to function on the latest Firefox browser but worked just fine using the Chrome browser.

chpalmer
Belfair, WA

2 recommendations

chpalmer to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
Telephone actually works on the net right along with data.

Looks like you have a TV block installed..? Yep- the upper spectrum is just not being used on your system right now.

Edin702
join:2008-02-29
Virginia Beach, VA

3 recommendations

Edin702 to chpalmer

to chpalmer
I've been using this on my SB6183 for over a year now.

For Windows 10 users it also works in Microsoft Edge.
Edin702

2 recommendations

Edin702 to chpalmer

to chpalmer
Click for full size
This is several months ago before we got 8 channel downstream bonding.

The dip after 111MHz is where they dropped a few analog channels for the extra 4 downstreams.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

3 recommendations

mackey to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
My 6183 showed something like that when TWC still had an old analog trap on the line. If your provider still has analog channels and you don't subscribe to tv then you probably have one too.

Edit: with trap on:

A few months later they removed the trap:

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 recommendations

RR Conductor to chpalmer

Premium Member

to chpalmer
said by chpalmer:

Telephone actually works on the net right along with data.

Looks like you have a TV block installed..? Yep- the upper spectrum is just not being used on your system right now.

No, there's no block, we have tv service (basic), though we don't use it (we have Directv) as we just got a package to get cheaper HSI, in fact, when I did the package a year ago, they came out and removed the block.

chpalmer
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

4 recommendations

chpalmer

said by RR Conductor:

they came out and removed the block.

How many channels does your modem bond? Looks like there is nothing below 520mhz on your node. If I were a betting man Id say the block was never removed.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA

2 recommendations

RR Conductor

Premium Member

28 Downstream and 4 Upstream. We're D3.0.

Almighty1
Premium Member
join:2003-05-14
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

Almighty1 to chpalmer

Premium Member

to chpalmer
Click for full size
Thanks for the brief tutorial... Will wait for the results conversation to figure out how to read it. Anyways, this is from my Arris SB8200, Comcast San Francisco with 31 down/4 up DOCSIS 3.0 channels and 1 down DOCSIS 3.1 channels.

Anon7c3bb
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Anon7c3bb to chpalmer

Anon

to chpalmer
Thank you for posting this! I just mentioned the spectrum analyzer on another thread, but I was curious how it actually worked. This is perfect. Any idea which ISP, if any, block this at the firmware or config level?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

6 recommendations

mackey to chpalmer

Premium Member

to chpalmer
Alternately you can drag-highlight a section of the graph and it'll center & span to your selection. Also works for the Y axis as well allowing you to zoom in.

chpalmer
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

2 recommendations

chpalmer

said by mackey:

Alternately you can drag-highlight a section of the graph and it'll center & span to your selection. Also works for the Y axis as well allowing you to zoom in.

Learned something new.. thanks mackey!
chpalmer

1 edit

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Click for full size
A little more about how to read these things.

This graph shows analog "TV" channels. They are 6mHz (or 6mc for the old school guys) wide. 189mHz is the first full channel shown in this graph.
chpalmer

2 edits

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Click for full size
These are the first digital channels (also 6mHz wide) on my cable plant. You can actually see the roll off from the modem diplexer on the 99mHz channel.

It used to be that many cable systems re-transmitted or just allowed broadcast radio on the cable so you could connect your stereo system antenna and get radio as well. I remember getting a letter from the cable system when this went away back in the early 90's on our system. Those frequencies would have been from 88mHz to 108mHz on this graph.
chpalmer

1 edit

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Click for full size
Look at the bottom of the graph to see how I have set it up. These are my modems upstream channels. Since I have them at "Peak Hold" I was able to capture them as I did a speed test. Little more spacing present but my guess is the channels would be a tad wider if I had more upload speed available. 20mbps here right now.
chpalmer

1 recommendation

chpalmer

Click for full size
So if you compare my modems channel page to the spectrum analyzer you can see the correlation. My first downstream channel is 603mHz. My first upstream channel is 29mHz. (they are bonded out of order and this is fine and normal)

As soon as the temperature goes down today my signals will all be around -1 to +1. The ISP seems uninterested and see's no problem.. :rolleyes: