All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
konajunction
join:2017-09-04
Halifax, NS

konajunction

[Electrical] Powering a shed, above ground.

Hi. I have a shed that I am building beside my carport. I don't want to dig up my driveway to run power to it. I am wondering if I can run power along the top of the car port and across to the shed.

I had a outdoor light that I could use as the power source and it's already run so just wondering if that would work.

Thanks!
fresnoBob
join:2016-08-29
Toronto, ON

fresnoBob

I'm having trouble visualising your buildings and their relation to one another, could you add a picture please.

Also, how much power do you need in the shed?
konajunction
Halifax, NS

konajunction

Click for full size
sure, attached Is photo of the old shed but it's where the new shed will be. The front post of the carport is where the light was that I could pull power from. As far how much power? I am building an outdoor office, so I want a light, an outlet for my computer and a heat source.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

4 recommendations

tp0d

Premium Member

What type of heat source? Any electric heater is going to be 1500w, for it to matter.. Thats a 15amp circuit right there, over the potential of the existing light circuit. Then another approx 15a for lights, computer, etc..

If you want a fire, cheap it out. If you want to do it right, run at least 2x new 20 amp circuits to this shed thing. I would highly recommend getting an electrician.

-j
fresnoBob
Toronto, ON

fresnoBob to konajunction

to konajunction
Here are some links that may help.

»www.currentresults.com/W ··· rage.php

»www.calculator.net/btu-c ··· tor.html

»www.uline.ca/BL_1507/Inf ··· -Heaters
konajunction
Halifax, NS

konajunction to tp0d

to tp0d
ya, all good points. I agree. I am more so wondering if I HAVE to go underground or can I run it above ground. I really can't dig up my driveway so if that's the only option I probably can't use it for. what I want.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G

MVM

Can you dig down on either side of the driveway?
If so, you may be able to have a conduit driven laterally under it.
konajunction
Halifax, NS

konajunction

The panel is in the far right corner of the carport, and the driveway goes all the way to the back of the car port so I could dig for part of it, but wondering if I can run it above ground at all? Is it a straight "no" or is it more a rule than can be broken?

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Yes you can definitely run it above ground, with the proper conduit and an aerial connection.. How long would the unsupported cable be?

-j
konajunction
Halifax, NS

konajunction

Well if I run it along the top of the car port to the front post then across to the shed it would only be a a few feet. So you are saying it then goes into the top of the shed?
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

2 recommendations

kherr

Premium Member

where you run it overhead ... you definitely want it high enough not to be hit when carrying stuff (12'+).

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to konajunction

Premium Member

to konajunction
You could use a rigid conduit and span that distance without a problem also using rigid conduit he would have to have line so tall that you would avoid hitting it because as long as you didn't hit it with a vehicle rigid conduit would hold up.
fresnoBob
Toronto, ON

fresnoBob to konajunction

to konajunction
Are you getting a ready made shed?
Hope that isn't too nosey.
konajunction
Halifax, NS

konajunction to kherr

to kherr
ya, well if it runs along the top of the car port and then over to the shed it won't be in the way to get hit at all I don't think.
konajunction

konajunction to fresnoBob

to fresnoBob
I am building it myself
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to konajunction

Premium Member

to konajunction
said by konajunction:

ya, well if it runs along the top of the car port and then over to the shed it won't be in the way to get hit at all I don't think.

...... 'don't think' doesn't cut it .... if your wrong, someone could be dead .....

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to konajunction

to konajunction
If you want to do it right, ensure that liability is low and not have it look "red neck" I think you should go underground with the feed. If there are no other utilities in the way just dig a trench and bury it and of course use the proper termination where it enters the shed/office. And has already been said, make sure the proper size circuit is used (use a electrician).

You can save money by digging the trench yourself based on the requirements the electrician provides.
konajunction
Halifax, NS

konajunction

ya, I really can't dig though. My driveway is in the way
konajunction

konajunction to kherr

to kherr
ya, well I am saying it won't go above an area where something tall would ever pass. It's not wide enough for something tall to pass through.
rjgogo
join:2003-10-22

1 recommendation

rjgogo to konajunction

to konajunction
said by konajunction:

ya, I really can't dig though. My driveway is in the way

I used this when faced with a similar problem.
»www.borit.com

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999 to konajunction

to konajunction
Use conduit along the wall to the corner of the house in the carport, then angle down and go underground from there. or put in an outlet at the corner, then run an extension cord as needed for the shed.

Well Bonded
join:2015-10-17
Naples, FL

3 recommendations

Well Bonded to konajunction

to konajunction
said by konajunction:

Hi. I have a shed that I am building beside my carport. I don't want to dig up my driveway to run power to it. I am wondering if I can run power along the top of the car port and across to the shed.

Simple answer yes if you can run the drop high enough to provide safe clearance over grade.

I had a outdoor light that I could use as the power source and it's already run so just wondering if that would work.

Thanks!

Not a good deal, you really need to add a new 240/120 branch circuit preferable in the service entrance and a sub-panel in the shed.

Something like this.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang to konajunction

to konajunction
Looking at that, you could do above ground through the house, then switch to buried to go the rest of the way once past the driveway. As for load, I'd look at 2x20A circuits in a sub panel, and perhaps leave room for a little expansion for down the road.
konajunction
Halifax, NS

1 recommendation

konajunction

ya, I had an electrician come out and basically say the same thing so I think that's what I'll be doing. Thanks!