Search similar:

uniqs
RichLux
join:2014-09-12
Rockville, MD

5 recommendations

RichLux

[Networking] G1100 5ghz not working

I'm having an issue with my G1100 router. Recently, I can no longer connect reliably at 5ghz. My devices will connect and then immediately disconnect. If I reboot the router, 5ghz will work again for a day or so, but then the same thing will happen. I have tried changing the channel, but like rebooting the router, it only fixes the issue for a day or so. Prior to this problem starting, everything worked fine for over a year and I have no issues with 2.4ghz.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Rich

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

2 recommendations

rollinraver

If you haven’t already, go into the router’s settings and turn OFF automatic channel selection for the 5g signal. Pick a static channel.
RichLux
Rockville, MD

RichLux

That was the first thing I tried. I tried a number of different channels, but they are all have the same issue.

Rich
pdroth
VHO5
join:2005-01-03
Merrick, NY

1 recommendation

pdroth to RichLux

to RichLux
My G1100 does the exact same thing, so much that I could have written this post myself.

I hope you find a solution so I can try it.
RichLux
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

RichLux

I'm wondering if they did a firmware update to the router recently that caused this, because it was working great for so long. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in the router that gives me the date of the last update.

Rich

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Could be a bad router. I’d get with »Verizon Direct and they can help
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to RichLux

to RichLux
Same issue on friend's router.
RichLux
Rockville, MD

RichLux to Branch

to Branch
Thanks Branch. I did a chat with Verizon and they agreed to send me a replacement router. I'll let everyone know the outcome once I have it installed.

Rich

Anone24f4
@verizon.net

Anone24f4

Anon

If your having issues connecting to ANY 5Ghz network, its the computer and not the router. Can other devices get online wireless? What kind of PC/device do you have?
pdroth
VHO5
Merrick, NY

pdroth to RichLux

to RichLux
If replacing it works for you, I'll consider it. I have 19 devices in my home that would need to learn a new SSID, along with all of the guests who usually come by and connect to my wifi. I'd hate to go through all of that trouble if it didn't fix my issue.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

2 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

said by pdroth:

If replacing it works for you, I'll consider it. I have 19 devices in my home that would need to learn a new SSID, along with all of the guests who usually come by and connect to my wifi. I'd hate to go through all of that trouble if it didn't fix my issue.

You can set the ssid of the new router to match the current one. My password is the same from day one of Fios almost 10 years ago despite changing routers many times. As I type that I realize I probably should change it but oh well
RichLux
Rockville, MD

RichLux to Anone24f4

to Anone24f4
It's not a computer issue. I have 9 devices throughout my house (laptops, phones, iPads, Gaming consoles, etc) and NONE of them can connect on 5ghz unless I reboot the router and then it only lasts for a day or so.

They can connect just fine to other 5ghz wifi connections at work and other places.

Rich
Stanky (banned)
join:2015-06-22
Devon, PA

Stanky (banned)

said by RichLux:

It's not a computer issue. I have 9 devices throughout my house (laptops, phones, iPads, Gaming consoles, etc) and NONE of them can connect on 5ghz unless I reboot the router and then it only lasts for a day or so.

They can connect just fine to other 5ghz wifi connections at work and other places.

Rich

I'm having the same issue, but also with 2.4Ghz. My IPhone X indicates that it is connected to my Wi-Fi router, but that there is no Internet connection. Rebooting the router corrects the issue for a day or two. I'm not sure if this issue is a result of a router update or not.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 recommendation

navyson to RichLux

to RichLux
Same issue. I just went out and got a 5Ghz Netghear WAP and all my wireless issues were resolved.

SRF26
join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY

1 edit

SRF26 to RichLux

to RichLux
I am having issues with my QGR 5G wifi network also. It began last Sunday morning. The network freezes and no devices can connect to it. The 2.4G signal remains active. I have had to reboot the router twice since Sunday to get the 5G to work. Never had to do this before. Definitely a router issue.
RichLux
Rockville, MD

RichLux

I got the new router last night. Fingers crossed that 5ghz will work for more than a day!

Rich

Anonf288b
@verizon.net

Anonf288b to RichLux

Anon

to RichLux
I am having the exact same problem as the OP. Router was working fine all year until this week when the 5ghz network suddenly started dropping. It's happened at least 4 or 5 times over the past two days. I've tried out five different channels on the 5ghz and they all have the same issue. Never had a single problem with channel interference or drops until this week. Everything works fine with 2.4 but every device on the 5ghz stays disconnected until the router reboots. But it will drop again a few hours later.

SRF26
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

This is happening to too many users. All our routers can't be "broken" in the same way at the time. What is the one thing we all have in common? FIRMWARE.

BTW, are any of the users using the Fios Network Extender? Just trying to account for all the possible variables.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy

No extender.
RichLux
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

RichLux

No extender here either.

Here's an update on the new router...

I had the 5ghz wifi running on channel 157 and after 24 hours I had the same problem on the new router. I switched to 153 and it's been running over 24 hours and is still stable, but honestly, I don't have my hopes up that it will stay that way.

I don't remember if I tried 153 on my old router, but I tried a lot and I'd be shocked if the issue were channel specific. However, has anyone else with the problem tried channel 153?

Before this problem started, my old router had 5ghz set to "automatic", which from what I've read can cause problems, but it worked perfectly for 2 years. I can't think of anything besides a firmware update that could cause a problem like this so suddenly.

My firmware info is below. What do others with and without the problem have?

UI Version: v1.0.234
Firmware Version: 01.04.00.12
Hardware Version: 1.03

Rich
Stanky (banned)
join:2015-06-22
Devon, PA

Stanky (banned)

said by RichLux:

No extender here either.

Here's an update on the new router...

I had the 5ghz wifi running on channel 157 and after 24 hours I had the same problem on the new router. I switched to 153 and it's been running over 24 hours and is still stable, but honestly, I don't have my hopes up that it will stay that way.

I don't remember if I tried 153 on my old router, but I tried a lot and I'd be shocked if the issue were channel specific. However, has anyone else with the problem tried channel 153?

Before this problem started, my old router had 5ghz set to "automatic", which from what I've read can cause problems, but it worked perfectly for 2 years. I can't think of anything besides a firmware update that could cause a problem like this so suddenly.

My firmware info is below. What do others with and without the problem have?

UI Version: v1.0.234
Firmware Version: 01.04.00.12
Hardware Version: 1.03

Rich

I have the same FW version, but have no idea when it was installed.

SRF26
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

I have the same software/firmware versions as you. I use channels 36 & 48 on my network because they are non DFS. The QGR had been rock solid with no issues until last Sunday.
pdroth
VHO5
Merrick, NY

pdroth to RichLux

to RichLux
I have the same firmware. I've had this version for at least two months

This problem has been happening to me for a long time, it isn't all of a sudden.

mreg
Premium Member
join:1999-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

2 recommendations

mreg to RichLux

Premium Member

to RichLux
said by RichLux:

I got the new router last night. Fingers crossed that 5ghz will work for more than a day!

Rich

If you want to stop crossing your fingers get a third party router to use for your wifi.

Anonf288b
@verizon.net

Anonf288b to RichLux

Anon

to RichLux
I have the same firmware/UI version. No extender for me. I've tried nearly every channel including 153 and have experienced drops on all of them. My 5ghz disconnected again around 7AM ET this morning while the 2.4ghz was working fine.
RichLux
Rockville, MD

RichLux

Arrg! Success with channel 153 lasted less than 48 hours, so now it's back to square one. I know I can buy a separate wireless router and use that instead, but I really don't want another device running 24/7. My electric bill is high enough and I want the one I bought to work like it should.

Has anyone else contacted Verizon? The more people who call the better chance Verizon will do something about it. I'll bet there are other people out there who don't realize they have the problem. If you have devices that automatically fall back to 2.4ghz, they would never know. I have some devices operating only on 5ghz, which is how I discovered the problem in the first place.

Rich

UnloadedOne
join:2015-04-04
Astoria, NY

UnloadedOne to RichLux

to RichLux
In the same boat with this problem. It was always flaky on 5ghz but things have reached a fever pitch over the last 2 weeks or so. Nothing I do works beyond a couples of days. I usually had to reset the router once a month prior to all of this. I'm going to reach out to support and see what's up. I purchased my G1100 and need it for the TV service. I think the firmware theory is a sound one.
druber
join:2000-04-11
Stow, MA

druber to RichLux

to RichLux
Those things use almost no power. At some point...

UnloadedOne
join:2015-04-04
Astoria, NY

1 recommendation

UnloadedOne to RichLux

to RichLux
Hooked up my Asus router to the G1100 and switched off the G1100 radios. Problems are gone so far. Not ideal, but the connections on 5ghz are rock solid now.
spamwich56
join:2017-12-09
Mechanicsburg, PA

1 recommendation

spamwich56 to druber

to druber
Same issue, started a few days ago.

Just called Verizon and cut straight to the chase with the rep that answered the phone. He checked with his network engineer who said, "there is no confirmed firmware issue". I found that wording highly suspect.. he proceeded to speculate that the issue was hardware related, and pinged the 5GHz antenna. His conclusion was that with only 3 out of 5 pings successful this is definitely an antenna issue. He said I will have a replacement device on my doorstep prior to tomorrow at 10AM.

I made sure to get the ticket number so that if the issue is not resolved I can call back and escalate the problem further.

Regardless, kudos to the rep for not keeping me on the phone for an hour; from the time I hit dial, to the time I hung up was only 11 minutes.