join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

5 recommendations

tstolze

Premium Member

[HSI] Ultra Upgrade Fee Dropping?

I was told the Ultra Upgrade fee of $199 will be dropping to $49.99 on 12/19

Now....time will tell.

It's still a money grab, but I'm guessing that many more will overlook it compared to the $199.

Anone6243
@rr.com

1 recommendation

Anone6243

Anon

said by tstolze:

Now....time will tell.

It's still a money grab, but I'm guessing that many more will overlook it compared to the $199.

Nice little PR move if it happens. Lower that fee, while raising all other rates across the board like every other cable company does every year.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

1 recommendation

Demonfang to tstolze

to tstolze
Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on it.
tmj
join:2017-08-24
Lebanon, CT

2 recommendations

tmj to tstolze

to tstolze
Was actually looking on upgrading to Ultra today but suppose I'll hold off just in case.

Out of curiosity, was the source on this a Phone/Chat/Sales rep or something?
Techie01
join:2014-11-21
USA

4 recommendations

Techie01 to tstolze

to tstolze
I can confirm this is correct information.

EDIT: However it only applies to the new spectrum pricing and packaging so if you have the old Charter pricing plans, those are not eligible.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

4 recommendations

kherr to tstolze

Premium Member

to tstolze
said by tstolze:

It's still a money grab

everybody bitches about this .. but doesn't think twice about a new car extra that the dealer charges $750+ for .... and can be bought for $150

Anon3af27
@charter.com

2 recommendations

Anon3af27 to Anone6243

Anon

to Anone6243
said by Anone6243 :

said by tstolze:

Now....time will tell.

Nice little PR move if it happens. Lower that fee, while raising all other rates across the board like every other cable company does every year.

The rate increase this year isn't terrible, broadcast fee is going from $7.50 to $8.35, single DVR service is going up $1 to $12.99, and NPP Tv select is going up $2 to $64.99 to match SPP pricing, and if your in area where the cable box is $5.99 that is going to $6.99 to match the rest of Charter.

CBLMorphis
join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA

12 recommendations

CBLMorphis to kherr

to kherr
Only this isn't a car, it's internet.

tstolze
Premium Member
O Fallon, MO

4 recommendations

tstolze to kherr

Premium Member

to kherr
said by kherr:

said by tstolze:

It's still a money grab

everybody bitches about this .. but doesn't think twice about a new car extra that the dealer charges $750+ for .... and can be bought for $150

Here's how I see it... It took the same effort to move me from the 100/4 plan to the 100/10 that it would have taken to move me to the 300/20. It's a click of the mouse and Charter would have received $40/month more from our household, not to mention the 10 minutes trying to justify the fee.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

8 recommendations

djrobx to tstolze

Premium Member

to tstolze
Less bullshitty, but still bullshit.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski to Anon3af27

Premium Member

to Anon3af27
said by Anon3af27 :

said by Anone6243 :

said by tstolze:

Now....time will tell.

The rate increase this year isn't terrible, broadcast fee is going from $7.50 to $8.35, single DVR service is going up $1 to $12.99, and NPP Tv select is going up $2 to $64.99 to match SPP pricing, and if your in area where the cable box is $5.99 that is going to $6.99 to match the rest of Charter.

Any rate increase on rental fees etc is terrible, any way you look at it.

DeadSurvivor
Actor (The Asylum / Mill Creek Ent.)
Premium Member
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

DeadSurvivor to tstolze

Premium Member

to tstolze
Makes me wonder if I am better off with Frontier and their hidden fee's.
deefop
join:2016-05-05
Boulder, CO

3 recommendations

deefop to tstolze

to tstolze
.... only if you consider the entirety of the effort to "move" you from one plan to another to be clicking a mouse on a computer screen

You realize those faster plans only exist because of extensive network investment, right?

Don't get me wrong, when I worked at Charter I told some of the execs point blank that it was a bullshit fee and that people were going to hate us for it

still, the concept of a premium/higher quality product costing more money in general shouldn't really be alien to anyone at this point, and charter trying to impose it up front rather than over the course of 1-2 years is kind of just a preference thing on their part

for me, the ultra speeds and fees were far less important than the base speeds and prices

charter offering 100/10 for 64.99 as the base is really not that bad a deal for most areas

i'm paying 39.99 a month(promotional) for 100/5 from Comcast with a 1 tb data cap, and I believe the rack rate for my plan is like 84.99 or something ridiculous like that

i'd take 100/10 for 64.99 with no data cap over what i have now in a heartbeat

and now we've heard their gigabit/d3.1 announcements where they're going to offer 1000/35 for the ultra price of 104.99 a month, and the base speed in those markets will bump to 200/10

to me that's all exciting news, so if they're coupling it with a huge reduction in the upgrade fee i'm not going to complain too much

tstolze
Premium Member
O Fallon, MO

2 recommendations

tstolze

Premium Member

said by deefop:

.... only if you consider the entirety of the effort to "move" you from one plan to another to be clicking a mouse on a computer screen

You realize those faster plans only exist because of extensive network investment, right?

My opinion is the $40/month additional over the base account is enough to cover these investments.
I wonder how many more would have upgraded to the Ultra tier if the upgrade fee did not exist and how many times over the upgrade fee Charter would have made if it did not exist?

Anone6243
@rr.com

1 recommendation

Anone6243 to Anon3af27

Anon

to Anon3af27
said by Anon3af27 :

said by Anone6243 :

said by tstolze:

Now....time will tell.

How do you know about these new rate increases? Is it accurate?
sharkyfour
join:2002-06-20
Windham, CT
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Technicolor TC4400

4 recommendations

sharkyfour to tstolze

to tstolze
Just for the heck of it, I tried chatting with sales tonight to see if they could do it for $49.99 yet. I got the normal line about it being $199 still, but instead of sticking firm to that when I tried to talk her out of it, I was told to check back soon as changes were being made to their internet services. So not definite confirmation, but I'd say there's a chance it's coming soon.

Anon9111f
@charter.com

2 recommendations

Anon9111f to Anon3af27

Anon

to Anon3af27
said by Anon3af27 :

Not going to argue on the broadcast fee other than if broadcaster were prevented form charging Charter wouldn't have an excuse. Broadcasters ask for more money Charter isn't going to eat that cost. I wouldn't. as far as the NPP TV and cable box pricing match the rest of Charter. Nothing wrong with having the pricing being uniform. As far as DVR buy a Tivo then. I wouldn't have a DVR if it was $5 a month. there's not that much worth recording.

Anon46c32
@charter.com

1 recommendation

Anon46c32

Anon

said by Anon9111f :

Not going to argue on the broadcast fee other than if broadcaster were prevented form charging Charter wouldn't have an excuse. Broadcasters ask for more money Charter isn't going to eat that cost. I wouldn't.

Then they should offer the TV package minus local channels for those who don't want them but are forced to pay $8-12/mo for them (price varies by market)
xpxp2002
join:2014-08-29
NEO

2 recommendations

xpxp2002 to deefop

to deefop
said by deefop:

and now we've heard their gigabit/d3.1 announcements where they're going to offer 1000/35 for the ultra price of 104.99 a month, and the base speed in those markets will bump to 200/10

Which is fine for those who are getting that. For the rest of us who have to choose between 100/10 for $64.99 and 120/10 for $104.99 + the extortion-for-reasonable-speeds fee with no improvement in sight are still being taken advantage of.

Least they could do is finish the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades to make 300/20 available everywhere, or at least give us some kind of timeline, before moving on to promote gigabit service offerings in a few select markets that the rest of us likely won’t see for years after other MSOs like Comcast have been offering it throughout their footprint for years at a lower price.
njt462
join:2006-11-28
Troy, MO

3 recommendations

njt462 to tstolze

to tstolze
Everyone I know on Spectrum 10+ people have gotten the money grab 199.99 waived by calling in saying cancel to voice system then going to retention and very nicely saying they would like to go to ultra but can not justify the 199.99 fee can anything be done and all of them have gotten it waived.

Anon6f5fa
@charter.com

2 recommendations

Anon6f5fa to Anone6243

Anon

to Anone6243
said by Anone6243 :

How do you know about these new rate increases? Is it accurate?

Any bill that is printed after Dec 21 is going include the rate increase info, there are other minor fee changes, but what I posted is the big ones so far.

Anon9111f
@charter.com

2 recommendations

Anon9111f to Anon46c32

Anon

to Anon46c32
said by Anon46c32 :

said by Anon9111f :

Not going to argue on the broadcast fee other than if broadcaster were prevented form charging Charter wouldn't have an excuse. Broadcasters ask for more money Charter isn't going to eat that cost. I wouldn't.

Then they should offer the TV package minus local channels for those who don't want them but are forced to pay $8-12/mo for them (price varies by market)

That would be great but federal law requires that cable companies carry them. It's called Must Carry.
sharkyfour
Windham, CT

4 recommendations

sharkyfour

The "Must Carry" rule goes away if the broadcaster requests a re-transmission fee.
techguru308
join:2016-05-19
Cincinnati, OH

3 recommendations

techguru308 to tstolze

to tstolze
said by tstolze:

Now....time will tell.

I would get it for the one time 49.99 dollar fee but I would make them send a tech out even though it is not needed due to the fact that I am paying for it.

Anon46c32
@charter.com

1 recommendation

Anon46c32 to sharkyfour

Anon

to sharkyfour
said by sharkyfour:

The "Must Carry" rule goes away if the broadcaster requests a re-transmission fee.

Exactly.
deefop
join:2016-05-05
Boulder, CO

3 recommendations

deefop to xpxp2002

to xpxp2002
How are you being taken advantage of?

100/10 for 64.99 is a solid deal, and the 120/10 for 104.99 should be in the very near future changed to 300/20 for 104.99 and the upgrade fee is dropping.

No improvement in site? My entire post(and to an extent this entire thread) is about the fact that Charter is dropping the upgrade fee substantially(it's still annoying to pay anything at all but again it's a matter of paying it up front or paying it over time) and announcing major speed increases.

I fail to see how you're finding a way to be negative when almost every one of these "news items" is good news.

If they announce that they're increasing prices across the board by 20%, then I think some complaining is in order.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 recommendation

Racerbob

Premium Member

said by deefop:

100/10 for 64.99 is a solid deal, and the 120/10 for 104.99 should be in the very near future changed to 300/20 for 104.99 and the upgrade fee is dropping.

You are right on the money. I am overjoyed with my new 100/10 speed for $64.99 a month. I got the new speed yesterday. Testing at 118/12 or so.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 recommendations

Packeteers to tstolze

Premium Member

to tstolze
this thread is laughable,
it reads like a dominatrix script;
"please may i have another"...

you people are being exploited by a monopoly
are grateful for long overdue speed upgrades
that came because of long scheduled equipment
replacements, not anything charter did for you,
and thankful a totally bogus fee was reduced.

charter has you all exactly where they want you.
thorin
join:2007-11-08
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

thorin to tstolze

to tstolze
said by tstolze:

Now....time will tell.

The 199 fee will still be there but that will be for the Gig upgrade i believe.
sharkyfour
Windham, CT
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Technicolor TC4400

3 recommendations

sharkyfour to Packeteers

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

this thread is laughable,
it reads like a dominatrix script;
"please may i have another"...

you people are being exploited by a monopoly
are grateful for long overdue speed upgrades
that came because of long scheduled equipment
replacements, not anything charter did for you,
and thankful a totally bogus fee was reduced.

charter has you all exactly where they want you.

Unfortunately, true.

But my options are Charter, Frontier DSL with a max speed of 6Mbps, 4G which would be insanely expensive for the 3-4TB of data we use each month, or Exceed/HughesNet.

So really, I have no choice but Charter.