uniqs
Cnbos12
join:2018-01-01
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

Cnbos12

[Networking] Gigabit connection w/ TV using existing coax connections -3 floors

Hello All,

Searched through various threads but don't see anyone with my situation.

I'm getting a gigabit fios connection with TV installation soon but I'm confused on how to setup a MOCA LAN bridge since its using a cat5e rather than coax from the ONT. I followed this guide (»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?) years ago to setup my MOCA LAN bridge on a 3 floor house. Basically I have the ONT > G1100 (coax)connected on the 2nd floor living room and 2x ActionTec MI424WR (coax) for connections on the 1st and 3rd floor so I can have a LAN connection rather than WiFi.

From my understanding, there will be two connections coming from the ONT. Cat5e to G1100 for internet and coax for STBs. Anyway to route the internet connection back to the coax so I can use the existing coax connection throughout the house like my original setup using the ActionTec MI424WR even if I don't get the 900Mbs on the other floors? Would adding WCB6200Q so I can get the advertised speed over coax? Any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks!
nyctrader
join:2002-09-22
New York, NY
(Software) pfSense

1 edit

1 recommendation

nyctrader

You can continue using the MoCA LAN as you always have been. When you had MoCA from the ONT, there were 2 MoCA networks on the same cable. The WAN at 1000 Mhz and the LAN at 1150 Mhz. Now you will just continue with the 1150 LAN since your WAN will be coming from ethernet.

You will be able to get around 450Mbps through MoCA. The extender is bonded MoCA and is capable of gig speed, but the Verizon router isn't bonded, so it will fall back to the slower nonbonded speed. You would need a second bonded MoCA adapter connected by ethernet to the router to get full gig through the extender.
Cnbos12
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

Cnbos12

Thanks for the reply nyctrader!

Just to clarify, the ONT will have a cat5e running to my G1100 and the ONT will also be connected to the coax splitter for the STB? I would need to connect the cat5e (WAN 1000Mhz) from ONT and coax from the wall (LAN 1150Mhz) to the G1100 so I can use both networks? And If I want gigabit connection, I would need to run a cat5e from G1100 > WCB6200Q (a) > coax > WCB6200Q (b) in desire room > cat5e to computer?

From this thread »FiOS Network Extender - Gigabit Internet Throughput, it's recommend to disconnect the coax to receive the full speed. If so, how does the G1100 connect to the LAN 1150Mhz network so I can connect floor 1 and 3?

Now let's say I would like to buy my own router like a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) (or anything you recommend?) and use that as my main router. Do I still need to purchase the G1100 and bridge it to the R7000? In bridge mode, is Verizon able to access or see the G1100? I'm concern that if I purchase a used one on ebay, it might be an unreturned item and I will be charged a rental fee and forced to return it.

Thanks for the help!
nyctrader
New York, NY
(Software) pfSense

1 recommendation

nyctrader

Yes, there will be Ethernet (cat 5 or 6, whatever the installer has) and that will go to the WAN port on the G1100 or any router you choose to use. There will also be coax connected to whatever distribution your house already has. Your G1100 will have BOTH ethernet and coax attached so the MoCA LAN can continue to work. If you disconnect the coax from the G1100, the STBs will continue to get a video signal, but they wouldn't have a network connection which they need for the guide data and VOD. Any MoCA adapter can provide MoCA for the STB's. So if you got a separate adapter and connected it to both ethernet and coax, it would perform the same function as the G1100 as far as providing network to the STBs.

Yes, you could run cat5 to the extender and it will work, but that defeats the purpose of that device having built in MoCA, but it will work fine. Its a matter of if its worth it to go through the trouble of running cat5 when there is already coax there.

You absolutely can use your own router. I ran a R7000 for a long time and I just upgraded to a custom PfSense router. Just be aware that the G1100 is asolutely needed to initially activate a new STB. Once the box is activated, the G1100 can be removed. I keep mine in a box under my bed just in case I need it to activate a new STB. I would just purchase one from Verizon directly if you want to own one. I think they charge $140 to own it.
Cnbos12
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

Cnbos12

Thanks for the clarification!
said by nyctrader:

Yes, you could run cat5 to the extender and it will work, but that defeats the purpose of that device having built in MoCA, but it will work fine. Its a matter of if its worth it to go through the trouble of running cat5 when there is already coax there.

The room that I want to have gigabit speed is on the other side of the floor and I'm not able to run a ethernet cable from the G1100 to that room. My understanding is that if I use the existing coax connection rather than the bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters, then I won't get the full gigabit speed but instead get a max of 400 Mbps due to the G1100 limitations.

If I do purchase the R7000 and bridge it with the G1100, can I purchase just one WCB6200Q to convert coax to ethernet for that one room to achieve gigabit speed or would it still be limited to 400 Mbps due to the G1100 as an endpoint?
said by nyctrader:

I ran a R7000 for a long time and I just upgraded to a custom PfSense router.

This might be a side project I have to look into after I set up everything.

Overall, I'm trying to save money and not purchase any additional equipment if possible. The G1100 is $160 with tax and rather buy the R7000 for the same price. Can I use a R7000 bridge an ActionTec MI424WR instead?
nyctrader
New York, NY
(Software) pfSense

1 recommendation

nyctrader

You would need 2 bonded MoCA devices to be able to to get bonded speed. MoCA devices negotiate the maximum speed with each device present. So it will only "talk" at 246 Mbps to the STB and 650 to the G1100, etc. So you'd need a device that's able to negotiate faster on both ends.

I have the WCB on one end of the house and an ECB6200 connected to my Pfsense and coax so I'm able to get near full gig (850) from the ethernet ports on the WCB.

I've never used the MI424WR, so I don't want to give incorrect information, but I believe that would work too at the slower MoCA speed, but verify that before purchasing anything.
Cnbos12
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

Cnbos12

I assume WCB means Actiontec WCB6200Q and not WCB3000N?
eddie8620
join:2017-06-11
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

Hello,

Sorry to “hijack” this thread but I would also like some clarity on this same issue/setup.

I currently have gigabit service and fios TV. I have my 2nd floor wired through the moca adapters via coaxial.

If I add the WiFi extender Verizon sells upstairs, I would get gigabit speed versus the 400 I’m getting now?
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader to Cnbos12

to Cnbos12
Yes, WCB6200Q.
nyctrader

1 edit

1 recommendation

nyctrader to eddie8620

to eddie8620
You would not get gigabit speed unless you had either a second extender connected directly to your router or the ECB6200 connected directly to your router and disabled MoCA on the router to prevent a loop from happening.

There has to be bonded MoCA on both ends to get gigabit speed. The G1100 isn't bonded MoCA.

You didn't specify what MoCA adapter you have upstairs. If you have the ECB6200 adapter upstairs, then adding the extender would work since you'd have Bonded MoCA capable devices on both ends.
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

Hi NYCTrader

Yes I have the ECB6200 on both sides right now. One connected to the router and coaxial the other upstairs on the second floor.

If I disable Moca do I lose anything on my TV?
nyctrader
New York, NY
(Software) pfSense

1 edit

1 recommendation

nyctrader

I'm surprised there isn't a loop already created blocking all traffic if the MoCA on the router isn't already disabled.

If your router becomes unresponsive to where you can't log in to disable the MoCA, just unplug the Ethernet from the ECB until you disabled the MoCA on the router, then plug the ECB back in.

But, no, you won't lose any STB functions. The ECB will act as the MoCA bridge for the STBs. You may need to reboot the boxes to get them to recognize the ECB as their way to communicate now.
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

So do I need the extender or the two ECBs are enough?
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader

The two ECBs are enough for bonded MoCA.
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

Sorry to be a pain but I can’t seem to get this to work. Hardwire speed is not going over 480 MBPS. I’ve checked all the settings on the fios router and I can’t find a option to disable MoCA.

My setup is ONT connected to Fios Router via Ethernet. I have the WiFi radio off on the fios router and use my own router. I have two MoCA bonded adapters. One next to my fios router connected via Ethernet to a port on the fios router and connected via coaxial.

Upstairs I have another MoCA adapter connected to coaxial and Ethernet connected to another router.

Am I missing something?
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader

Which router do you have?
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620 to Cnbos12

to Cnbos12
Both floors I am utilizing Apple AirPort Extremes
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader

AirPorts don't have MoCA to disable.
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

Right. But the MoCA adapter is connected to the fios router, should I connect it to the airport router?
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader

I'm trying to first answer your question about not being able to find a setting to disable moca on the router.

How is the airport connected to the network? Is it connected to the fios router by ethernet?
nyctrader

1 recommendation

nyctrader to eddie8620

to eddie8620
Also, which device is actually doing the routing? The fios router or the airport?
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620 to nyctrader

to nyctrader
Yes, connected via Ethernet via a port not the WAN
eddie8620

1 recommendation

eddie8620 to nyctrader

to nyctrader
The airport
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader to eddie8620

to eddie8620
Ok, then it doesn't matter which one it is connected to. All the ports except the WAN on the fios router are bridged.
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

I’m sorry I just checked my settings. I believe the fios router is doing the routing. Both of my airports are on bridge mode
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader

That's fine. The adapter can stay connected to one of the lan ports on the fios router.
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

So any reason why I am not seeing gigabit speed over ethernet?
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader

Because you havent disabled MoCA on the router and it created a loop and the router or more specifically the loop detection protocol is causing the port with the adapter to be ignored.
eddie8620
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

eddie8620

Do you know how to disable MoCA?
nyctrader
New York, NY

1 recommendation

nyctrader

I just need an answer to the question I asked.