Search similar:

uniqs

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
join:2001-01-17
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

MyTechLife

Anyone had trouble/success with using "SpectrumWiFi" hotspots?

I'm on vacation where the nearby shopping center has "SpectrumWiFi" hotspots, as well as "CableWiFi" and "TWCWiFi" all coming from the same access point. After connecting to SpectrumWiFi I am redirected to the spectrumwifi.spectrum.net captive portal. After entering my Spectrum username & password I get a "Network Error" message. If I enter an incorrect password, I get an "invalid username/password" error. It seems that my account is not authenticating to the point that I can use the free wifi.

I spent about an hour on chat and later via phone with the "WiFi support team", and nobody at Spectrum was able to figure out the problem.

In troubleshooting, I am able to access the internet via the 30-minute free pass (which is about to expire as I type this).

Has anyone else had trouble/success with using their legacy Charter account credentials to login to the Spectrum hotspots?
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

1 recommendation

InternetJeff

This is most likely driven by legacy TWC issues in the WiFi infrastucture as systems are converted over, and will be resolved at a point in the near future.

Similar issues have been experienced with the legacy BHN WiFi system that had previously been engineered by idiots, and is now being fixed one area at a time.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to MyTechLife

MVM

to MyTechLife
I spoke with the Wi-Fi support group about the SpectrumWiFi and SpectrumWiFi Plus network last week. I'm told that they are still working to get those functional, and that logging into the network should work the same as TWCWiFi-Passpoint.

For now it seems the infrastructure merge is still a work in progress.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

1 edit

1 recommendation

MyTechLife

Re: Anyone had trouble/success with using "SpectrumWiFi" hotspots?

I tried “TWCWiFi” and the captive portal takes me to twcwifi.com Trying to login using my @charter address results in “invalid username/password”. Also, It won’t let me access spectrumwifi.spectrum.net in another browser window.

TWCWiFi-Passpoint and SpectrumWiFi Plus are both WPA password protected. How does a Spectrum customer obtain the password for those?

Another option is to pay the $14.99 for 1 week access. Anyone care to guess what my chances are of getting a $14.99 credit on my account for having to go that route?

I’m anxious to be able to use the hotspot because I’m in Oahu, and a speed test while connected to the 30-minute trial was 40x40 symmetrical. Not the 1 gig download that local subscribers can get, but the 40 up beats the 5 I get at home.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

On TWCWiFi-Passpoint, the username and password matches that of your account (for example, what you log in with to pay your bill). I'm told that SpectrumWiFi Plus will work the same once it is rolled out.

At least with TWCWiFi-Passpoint, the MAC Address of the device needs to be registered before access will be allowed. But I have it seen it behave otherwise.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

1 edit

MyTechLife

Welp, after spending another 45-minutes of back-and-forth between a Spectrum rep and her supervisor I got a ticket number for my request to have a $14.99 credit applied to my bill. I had to pay via credit card for one-week access because my @charter.net login credentials at spectrumwifi.spectrum.net resulted in a "Network error". The supervisor was supposed to call me back within an hour to follow-up, but that never happened.

Hopefully this will help someone as a possible workaround until Spectrum lives up to their advertised "Get free, unlimited access to over 250,000 WiFi hotspots in places you shop, dine and travel": »www.spectrum.com/free-wi ··· ots.html

I learned something new... When attempting to access the password protected "SpectrumWiFi Plus" network I discovered that it requests a WPA2-Enterprise login which requires both a username and password. Other non-enterprise networks I've connected to in the past just require a password.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

brad152 to MyTechLife

to MyTechLife
said by MyTechLife:

I tried “TWCWiFi” and the captive portal takes me to twcwifi.com Trying to login using my @charter address results in “invalid username/password”. Also, It won’t let me access spectrumwifi.spectrum.net in another browser window.

TWCWiFi-Passpoint and SpectrumWiFi Plus are both WPA password protected. How does a Spectrum customer obtain the password for those?

Another option is to pay the $14.99 for 1 week access. Anyone care to guess what my chances are of getting a $14.99 credit on my account for having to go that route?

I’m anxious to be able to use the hotspot because I’m in Oahu, and a speed test while connected to the 30-minute trial was 40x40 symmetrical. Not the 1 gig download that local subscribers can get, but the 40 up beats the 5 I get at home.

For TWC Customers at least, there's an app called TWC WiFi Finder, it auto logs you into the "TWCWiFi-Passpoint" and "Passpoint Secure" in airports (TWC had an agreement with Boingo, which with me working for an airline, i hope continues)

I'm not sure if L-Charter has an option for that, but you can also try "CableWiFi" and see if you can log in with that?

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

MyTechLife

said by brad152:

...you can also try "CableWiFi" and see if you can log in with that?

Thanks. Tried that, it just leads to a pick your provider page, and after selecting "Spectrum" it took me to a login page in which my @charter.net login credentials resulted in a "Network error" message.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

said by MyTechLife:

said by brad152:

...you can also try "CableWiFi" and see if you can log in with that?

Thanks. Tried that, it just leads to a pick your provider page, and after selecting "Spectrum" it took me to a login page in which my @charter.net login credentials resulted in a "Network error" message.

That just means the backend is not integrated yet.. Do you know anyone with a TWC or Comcast login? you can just use theirs?

I just made a sub account for my friend last week they could use on vaca, since they have at&t u-verse but had cablewifi available

Anonb04c1
@twcable.com

Anonb04c1 to MyTechLife

Anon

to MyTechLife
The thing that irks me the most is how badly this system is designed. Nothing is uniform. I can go on my phone and download a profile through the TWCWifi app that will authorize me to TWCWiFi-Passpoint as well as SpectrumWiFi Plus just fine. (My phone is on SpectrumWiFi Plus right now.)

However, there is no way I know of to get that same profile on my computer - something Xfinity and Boingo at least make possible through their web interfaces. Trying to copy the link to the profile from phone to computer doesn't work if the link has already been used, and I tried once to do it without using the link by cutting connection to the phone, but then the profile was incompatible with my laptop (MacBook).

I've copied other profiles before to my laptop without any problem (LinkNYC for example).

Another issue: I believe there are incompatibilities between Boingo and TWCWiFi-Passpoint/SpectrumWiFi Plus enterprise authentication if both profiles are installed. I admit I don't know enough about how they determine hierarchy of connection (does TWCWiFi-Passpoint authenticate with whichever profile was installed last? first? Is there a preferred domain specified by the network at time of authentication?) I do know that with the Boingo profile installed and without any TWC profile installed on my laptop, sometimes I have trouble connecting to TWCWiFi-Passpoint using my username/password.

Now its completely possible that in two years this is all moot because of WPA3 and probably a newer version of Passpoint certification that uses it, but until then its pretty much a disaster.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

MyTechLife

Update: I received my requested bill credit for $14.99 which was my out-of-pocket cost to pay for SpectrumWiFi one-week access, since logging into the free service using my customer credentials did not work.