join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

4 recommendations

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

Malwarebytes released bad update: 01-27-2018

»www.csoonline.com/articl ··· age.html
quote:
Malwarebytes pushed out a protection update that gobbled up memory and CPU resources and turned off web protection; the first fix still left users with unusable or crashing computers, but the latest release resolved the issue.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

2 recommendations

tlbepson

Premium Member

I'm still using MBAM 1.75 on my primary desktop system and I do have a more current version installed on the laptop I use as a testbed but I have auto-software-update set to "off".

The above stated, thanks for the heads up...'-}}

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

3 recommendations

Snowy to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
That's a tough way to learn that their testing protocol needs immediate attention but they may have dodged a major bullet with their enterprise customers by having this occur over a weekend.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

GuruGuy to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
Yeah, right! How did this happen then...

"We test every single one before it goes out."

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
See: »Malwarebytes major RAM/CPU muckup

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

4 recommendations

Dustyn to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
Don't worry... It will happen again... And again and again and again.

CovMac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA

2 recommendations

CovMac to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
I had the black screen error. Discovered MB using almost all my RAM after a manual reboot. Forced a shutdown of MB from task manager, then from the icon on the task bar. This cleared the problem. Rebooted and launched MB manually and forced a program update which solved the problem.
Current versions
MB version: 3.3.1.2183
Component Pkg version: 1.0.262
Update Pkg version: 1.0.3813
tommyr
join:2016-02-01

tommyr to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
Yeah I thought my memory was going bad. Task manager showed it was Malwarebytes. I just downloaded the latest version and that fixed things.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike to Stem Bolt

Mod

to Stem Bolt
lets poor one out for the corporate customers who have to fix this cluster across probably thousands of machines
Indy
Premium Member
join:2016-07-26

Indy to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
I have Malwarebytes Premium and a premium level AV for my Windows 10. However, I am getting rid of my Windows machine within the next month. Windows was my sole OS from 1995 to about 2005 when I acquired and started playing with another OS on a second machine. Slowly over the next years, the new OS won me away from Windows as the primary. Since Windows 8 and now 10 I rarely use the Windows. In fact, I spend more time on updates and security issues like the type mentioned in the OP. My current OS which is best for me doesn't have any headaches. (And all OS have their strengths and weaknesses and also match up with the individual user based on need and personal preference. That's a cool situation. It's great to have a choice in OS or anything for that matter.

But for me, good-by Windows. As an individual, I won't miss you. For others that like it, I say with sincerity good for you and I hope that you will continue to enjoy it and be hassle free with it.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

1 recommendation

kevnich24

said by Indy:

started playing with another OS on a second machine

Care to share which other OS won you over? I'm looking to switch over to linux for my primary system and curious what distros others use. Considering either Debian or Fedora. I've been a fan of ubuntu but some of their latest changes have me questioning that now.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
Exactly how much crypto currency did MB manage to generate?

Voltron
join:2007-08-04
Bloomington, IN

3 recommendations

Voltron to kevnich24

to kevnich24
If you do not mind, I would suggest Linux Mint, Ubuntu MATE, Solus OS, and Debian (requires a little more work--but, very stable). Other mentions would include any of the Ubuntu flavors, depending on your taste of desktop environment and hardware requirements, as well as Peppermint OS, Linux Lite, and...maybe KDE Neon (if you want a stripped down, cutting-edge KDE experience, based on top of a long-term supported base of Ubuntu).

I have been a huge Windows "fanboy" for decades, but, beginning with Windows 8, that dropped off rather quickly. With Windows 10, I am finding that I cannot hold my nose anymore. I am loving the flexibility, customization, security, and privacy that Linux offers. No, it isn't perfect, but, it is worth the research, if you are interested and have the time and patience to learn. Good luck!
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Yeah Windows forcing WinRT, and the same horrible tablet design on pc users was really really really really really stupid. WinRT is dead, tablet, and the phones. Win 8.x abandoned so they can rebrand windows as Windows 10 since people were not buying Win 8.

I find Mint Cinnamon is a good choice to be similar to windows for newer converts, and xfce for those who have more antiquated hardware. I'm not a big KDE fan atm.

It's also easy to install mint to a decently sized usb drive so you can really just try it out, you don't have to install to a hdd. I have a mint recovery usb drive that in reality is fully functional os. If I need to partition/format a drive, download and burn an iso, browse the web, or watch Netflix(via chrome) it works.
tommyr
join:2016-02-01

tommyr to Voltron

to Voltron
I run Mint on my main laptop but use a Windows 8.1 laptop for ham radio programs and TurboTax.