spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Anon00cd2
@verizon.net

Anon00cd2

Anon

[Networking] Slow upload speeds - Gigabit

I starting noticing a week ago that my upload speeds were very slow (50-100 Mbps), but download are holding strong in the 500-900 Mbps range.. I've tried a few different ways to troubleshoot, but can't seem to resolve the problem. Any other thoughts?

1. Speed to the router as per Verizon is good. I tried two different routers Verizon G1100 and Edgerouter Lite.
2. I eliminated the switch and connected the ethernet from the fios ont direct to the computer. No improvement.
3. Reset the ONT a few times.
4. Disconnected all other wired devices, same no improvement.
5. Tried the speed tests with different wired computers and different speed servers.

kaboose
join:2016-12-10
Gaithersburg, MD

kaboose

Did you attempt to use a DIFFERENT ethernet cable from the ONT to your router/computer?

Anon9c2ff
@verizon.net

Anon9c2ff

Anon

Not yet, apparently I am getting gigabit speeds to the router. Could a bad cable impact speed in only one direction?

Elector
join:2000-05-25
Albany, NY

Elector

said by Anon9c2ff :

Not yet, apparently I am getting gigabit speeds to the router. Could a bad cable impact speed in only one direction?

When you say getting gigabyte speeds to the router, you mean 940/880 sustained. On testing to Verizon’s server? If that is the case then you have the speed you are provisioned for.
If you mean your computer, laptop, tablet, phones, are not getting those speeds they won’t for the most part unless in the computers /laptops cases they must have gigabyte lan cards in them. And fast processors. Most computers from even 2-3 years ago don’t have that ability.
And on tablets, phones, game devices under WiFi the speeds will not be near the listed up to speeds on Fios gigabyte.

Anon00cd2
@verizon.net

Anon00cd2

Anon

Yes, I'm seeing that speed using the verizon router test. I have been testing utilizing two different desktops, one has a ryzen 1600 chip so more than enough power. All of the testing has been with wired devices, I'm aware wifi can't hit close to these speeds.

I'm surprised the issue is hitting only my upload speeds.

kaboose
Gaithersburg, MD

kaboose to Anon00cd2

to Anon00cd2
Have you tried actually uploading something? Google drive uploads tend to hit 200-300mbps for me, but it's variable depending on the time of day.
Lexatt
join:2017-02-22
USA

1 recommendation

Lexatt to Anon9c2ff

to Anon9c2ff
said by Anon9c2ff :

Yes, 1000baseT has separate Rx/Tx pairs.

Anon00cd2
@verizon.net

Anon00cd2 to kaboose

Anon

to kaboose
I just tried a small 4gb file, total time to upload was roughly 25 minutes. Speed range of 15 - 25 Mbps.
Anon00cd2

Anon00cd2 to Lexatt

Anon

to Lexatt
Is the verizon router test legit? If so than the issue is internal to my network, but I can't determine what I have not eliminated. Last night I realized I never swapped out the cable from the keystone punch, but tried that one and no change...

Elector
join:2000-05-25
Albany, NY

Elector

Anti virus software, firewall set to high, multiple firewalls going, (ie:windows and router) any high intensity programs running on the devices. Just a guess here.

kaboose
Gaithersburg, MD

kaboose to Anon00cd2

to Anon00cd2
said by Anon00cd2 :

I just tried a small 4gb file, total time to upload was roughly 25 minutes. Speed range of 15 - 25 Mbps.

I just uploaded a 2GB file to google drive at 65-70MB/s, took about 35-45 seconds.

I'd double check everything again, and even try a desktop in safe mode or something to remove the possibility of most other programs potentially causing issues.

Also, if you have a "killer" NIC, they can occasionally mess with faster connections, I have always had good luck with Intel NICs though.

Anon00cd2
@verizon.net

Anon00cd2

Anon

said by kaboose:

said by Anon00cd2 :

I just uploaded a 2GB file to google drive at 65-70MB/s, took about 35-45 seconds.

I'd double check everything again, and even try a desktop in safe mode or something to remove the possibility of most other programs potentially causing issues.

Also, if you have a "killer" NIC, they can occasionally mess with faster connections, I have always had good luck with Intel NICs though.

Will do... It's hitting multiple devices which is the strange part...

kaboose
Gaithersburg, MD

kaboose

said by Anon00cd2 :

Will do... It's hitting multiple devices which is the strange part...

The router test is usually fairly accurate, so i'd have to guess it's something on your end, if you still can't get things figured out you might just have to call verizon and see if they can send a tech out, if you're regularly getting under 100mbps from multiple computers and it's ONLY an issue with upload, then obviously something is not right, either on your end, or verizons.
Lexatt
join:2017-02-22
USA

Lexatt to Anon00cd2

to Anon00cd2
said by Anon00cd2 :

Is the verizon router test legit? If so than the issue is internal to my network, but I can't determine what I have not eliminated. Last night I realized I never swapped out the cable from the keystone punch, but tried that one and no change...

It uses TR-143, so it's standards compliant. To the extent you want to see that as legit, it is.

Do some raw LAN testing: Move files between computers at home, if you can run iperf that's worth a try. Problem isolation means coming at it from both ends.