All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
junesen
join:2018-02-22
Parker, CO

junesen

Getting online "Price for life" for existing customers?

My parents had a CenturyLink Phone/Internet bundle. Their promotion ended (last December) and they decided to discontinue their phone and just go with just Internet. They requested a "downgrade" to 20 mbps for $45, but the bill still shows 40 mbps for $55.

I noticed that CenturyLink is advertising 80 mbps for $45 (online only). But I don't see any way for existing customers to get this price. Has anyone been successful getting this price as an existing customer? I figured that I can tell my parents to disconnect and then sign up again, but I'm not sure they can handle the disruption of service (especially now that they have an VOIP phone service).

Also, would they need to change modems going to 80 mbps? They have ZyXel C1100Z which on the CenturyLink website goes to 80 mbps. When you order online they don't give you an option to have your own modem. Do you "lease" and then cancel? Or is it better to "buy" and then return the modem?
toneohm
join:2001-04-28

toneohm

Re: Getting online "Price for life" for existing customers?

I have the 80 mbps service and pay $55, I called and asked them about the new price of $45 for 80 mbps. They said the only way to get it was to cancel my service and order again. I have prepaid Internet. You lease the modem for the first month, then buy you own modem and return the Centurylink owned modem to save on the rental fee, that is what I did.
BlueSim
join:2018-02-05
Vancouver, WA

BlueSim to junesen

to junesen

Yes, on the "Price for Life" pricing it's possible, they'll need to call billing to request it. I'm seeing different promotions on the CL homepage probably because I'm in Washington State, where a small "offer details" link says those promotions are for new customers instead of existing customers. Perhaps there's a similar link in the promotion you're seeing.

Probably worth a try for one of them to call billing and say as politely as possible, "I'm dissatisfied because I requested $45 internet-only service in December however I'm still being billed more; on the website you're offering 80 mbps for $45, I'd like that please." If they want the $45 price, they might need to accept the lower speed though.

As for the modem, CL's online Modem Compatibility Chart does list that the C1100Z can do 80 mbps VDSL2. CL has two options for modems, either rent one of theirs or buy a compatible one outright. They don't have to buy from CL; for example I purchased a C2000T on Craigslist for $30 and returned the one that was leased. (Renting wasn't my idea in the first place, the bill is in a family member's name. I explained this will save them $10/mo.)
Chongo
join:2007-12-11
Phoenix, AZ

Chongo to junesen

to junesen

Call and ask for the retention department. That's what I did to get the install fee waived and the PFL on the FTTH 1GB internet upgrade.