join:1999-12-05
Duncan, SC
Netgear CM600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Asus RT-AC68

1 edit

Bluethunder

Spectrum choice activation time

How long is it supposed to take before spectrum choice is active? I signed up yesterday and was told up to 2 hours. After four hours and still not active, i contacted them again and was told 24-48 hours. Really? It has now been almost 24 hours and i still can't watch. Are there any tricks to get them to provision the account, or do they just not want my money?
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

said by Bluethunder:

How long is it supposed to take before spectrum choice is active? I signed up yesterday and was told up to 2 hours. After four hours and still not active, i contacted them again and was told 24-48 hours. Really? It has now been almost 24 hours and i still can't watch. Are there any tricks to get them to provision the account, or do they just not want my money?

Hello,

Try activating your equipment online through "My Account." Go to "Troubleshoot." If that doesn't work, call Spectrum and have them send a hit to your box. If that doesn't work, they may need to send out a tech. Mobile services and online services can take up to 48 hours to activate. The box should do it right away, or within a few minutes.

Satch
Blizzard
join:2014-09-21

Blizzard

I think he is referring to this »www.spectrum.com/choice.html

No box involved according to that link.

Anona959a
@charter.com

Anona959a to Bluethunder

Anon

to Bluethunder
said by Bluethunder:

Using a roku? Do a update. If that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall the spectrum app.

Bluethunder
Thunder PC
Duncan, SC
Netgear CM600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Asus RT-AC68

1 edit

Bluethunder

Nothing to activate. Nothing truck roll can accomplish.

No channels on TV app, roku app, Android app, or watch.spectrum.net. the idiots i have talked to at charter (all 4 of them) just keep insisting that there is a Nationwide outage, even though i know that's not the case.

They should fire everyone there and how 4 year olds. More would get accomplished
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

said by Bluethunder:

...the idiots i have talked to at charter (all 4 of them) just keep insisting that there is a Nationwide outage, even though i know that's not the case.

The reps were right, and you are wrong.... from @Ask_Spectrum on Twitter, »twitter.com/Ask_Spectrum

@Ask_Spectrum
3h3 hours ago
More
The issues with the Spectrum TV streaming service and My Account portal have been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

@Ask_Spectrum
6h6 hours ago

We are aware of the issues accessing the Spectrum TV streaming service and My Account portal. Thank you for your patience as we are working to resolve this as soon as possible.

Bluethunder
Thunder PC
Duncan, SC
Netgear CM600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Asus RT-AC68

Bluethunder

Nope reps were definitely wrong. When they said there was a national outage, my neighbors were streaming away. Surprise! Now that it is fixed, it's still not fixed. 4 dfferent devices all still say I have no TV package.

How long have you worked for Charter? LMAO

I finally got a helpful rep last night admitted there was no outage and escalated the issue. Let's see if the next level of "support" can beat their way out of a wet paper bag.
chmod755
join:2011-09-01
Hazelwood, MO

chmod755

I called in yesterday with a different issue (missing a channel) and the rep told me there were enough issues with all streaming that I needed to wait until Monday and if I was still missing a channel on Monday, they'd open a ticket.
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA

spdickey

Problems with the account portal and account activation were happening nationwide due to the east coast storm and power outages don't necessarily mean streaming would be odd as well.

Bluethunder
Thunder PC
Duncan, SC
Netgear CM600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Asus RT-AC68

Bluethunder to chmod755

to chmod755
Keep trying until you get a rep that is interested in helping instead of just rushing you off to get to the next customer. It took about 5 for me, but I finally found one willing to do his job. The first line of Charter reps are essentially trained to get you off the phone/chat as soon as possible with no real interest in solving problems.
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA

1 recommendation

spdickey

Sometimes customers think they know more than phone reps and keep calling trying to get the answer they want.
boknows
join:2001-08-19
Groton, NY

1 recommendation

boknows

said by spdickey:

Sometimes customers think they know more than phone reps and keep calling trying to get the answer they want.

To be honest though, that's pretty easy to do when reps often give dueling answers to the same questions.

Bluethunder
Thunder PC
Duncan, SC
Netgear CM600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Asus RT-AC68

1 edit

1 recommendation

Bluethunder to spdickey

to spdickey
Usually that is the case. Phone/chat reps for any company, but Charter in particular, are typically the least informed. They are trained to get the customer off the phone/chat as quick as possible. Charter's phone reps just all give different answers. Their favorite is of course the catch all "nationwide outage, now be gone!" Usually within 5 or less, you get one that actually can help.

After finally finding one that would submit a ticket, they got my spectrum choice mostly working. The technician that called to resolve the issue was very helpful, unlike most of the phone/chat reps.

I've been with Charter long enough to know how their system works. When they tell you there is a nationwide outage, and all your neighbors have no problems, that's generally the first clue.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

2 recommendations

Demonfang

I can attest that this is (sadly) true. Reps are paid on quantity, not quality. Multiple people in the house I live in have worked for a call center at one point or another, either at an office building or from home, and they all say the same thing.
kc27
Premium Member
join:2006-03-11
Milwaukee, WI

kc27

Premium Member

I've recommended this service to a couple of non-technical people. I hope they do not have this much trouble getting started with the service.

I have Spectrum TV Choice, and when I signed up for it, the representative was not well versed in the service. He kept insisting it required a set top box. Just to end the lengthy phone call, I said fine, leave the box on the order as long as I would not be paying for it. He finally figured out he was not using the order system correctly for Spectrum TV Choice, and got me set up without including the set top box.

I was able to access Spectrum TV Choice from my Roku (and other devices) with no delay, probably because I was a preexisting standard cable customer (125 channel package) "downgrading" to Spectrum TV Choice.

When I signed up a few weeks ago, the service included some Music Choice channels, but I see from their website at »www.spectrum.com/choice.html that they no longer mention them.

Anona959a
@charter.com

Anona959a

Anon

said by kc27:

I've recommended this service to a couple of non-technical people. I hope they do not have this much trouble getting started with the service.

I have Spectrum TV Choice, and when I signed up for it, the representative was not well versed in the service. He kept insisting it required a set top box. Just to end the lengthy phone call, I said fine, leave the box on the order as long as I would not be paying for it. He finally figured out he was not using the order system correctly for Spectrum TV Choice, and got me set up without including the set top box.

I was able to access Spectrum TV Choice from my Roku (and other devices) with no delay, probably because I was a preexisting standard cable customer (125 channel package) "downgrading" to Spectrum TV Choice.

When I signed up a few weeks ago, the service included some Music Choice channels, but I see from their website at »www.spectrum.com/choice.html that they no longer mention them.

Ok so a current cable customer can move to this without having to cancel cable for 30 days? Also does the $10 bundling discount still apply? Also does the old Tv Stream option still exist?

Music channels still listed »www.spectrumchoicechannels.com/
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

said by Anona959a :

Ok so a current cable customer can move to this without having to cancel cable for 30 days? Also does the $10 bundling discount still apply? Also does the old Tv Stream option still exist?

Music channels still listed »www.spectrumchoicechannels.com/

I feel like I've answered the bundle question several times, but yes, you still get the discount.

No, you don't have to cancel for 30 days. That has never been the case with the Choice package. You're thinking of the Stream package.
rok1
join:2015-03-06
Dupont, WA

rok1 to Bluethunder

to Bluethunder
When I tested it for a few days I signed up via their webpage and it was more or less instant. However I dropped it a few days later because it will still be higher after taxes than most basic streaming services. The only upside is local channels.. the downside? No local Fox RSN.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

3 recommendations

maartena to Bluethunder

Premium Member

to Bluethunder
said by Bluethunder:

Don't use the chat function to "activate". They don't actually activate, they just tell the system to activate the modem but can't really see status.... so they tell you 24-48 hours, because the backend system will activate modems (including the one they they may have just added) once a day.

I don't of course know what your method of "contacting" was.... but if it was chat: Don't. Instead, call them. Get a live body on the phone, even if it is some sucker in India or the Philippines, they have a lot more access and can actually push an activation signal to your modem and see if your modem responds.... while you are on the line with them. Maybe you haven't gotten through to the right person.

But whatever you do..... chat = worthless, never use it unless you need a canned response.
elca_bond
join:2011-07-23
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

elca_bond to Bluethunder

to Bluethunder
This company can't get anything right, if you go with any of the other streaming providers you would have been activated instantly. Charter is ridiculous.

Anona959a
@charter.com

Anona959a to mdavej

Anon

to mdavej
said by mdavej See ProfileNo, you don't have to cancel for 30 days. That has never been the case with the Choice package. You're thinking of the Stream package.[/bquote :

Both are streaming options so why would their be a distinction?

mdavej
united state

mdavej

Stream is only streaming. Doesn't work on cable boxes.

Choice is just like any other cable package (Silver, Gold, etc.) and works on cable boxes and streaming. The only difference is they don't require you to have at least one cable box (or card).

Only Spectrum can tell you the rationale for the 30 day wait. But I can tell you that I switched to Choice immediately from my Silver package, no waiting. I suspect the 30-day wait for Stream will go away if it hasn't already. I see no mention of a wait on the website anymore.

Anona14de
@rr.com

Anona14de

Anon

@mdavej
What's your plan and monthly payment before and after you changed to 'Choice'? TY

Anon402fb
@charter.com

Anon402fb to mdavej

Anon

to mdavej
said by mdavej:

Stream is only streaming. Doesn't work on cable boxes.

Choice is just like any other cable package (Silver, Gold, etc.) and works on cable boxes and streaming. The only difference is they don't require you to have at least one cable box (or card).

Only Spectrum can tell you the rationale for the 30 day wait. But I can tell you that I switched to Choice immediately from my Silver package, no waiting. I suspect the 30-day wait for Stream will go away if it hasn't already. I see no mention of a wait on the website anymore.

It's dumb you can upgrade on the website but not downgrade. Probably keep the box for now because of 1 person but maybe they can get used to not having it. Can you confirm the broadcast fee is only $3?
mdavej
united state

mdavej to Anona14de

to Anona14de
said by Anona14de :

@mdavej
What's your plan and monthly payment before and after you changed to 'Choice'? TY

My bills don't go back that far, so I can't tell you exactly, but it was roughly $80 for my Silver package, then $30 for Choice. I kept my $10 bundle discount with internet when I switched. "Broadcast Fee" is about $8 in my market regardless of my package. But I cut the cord a while ago and no longer have cable TV at all.

Anon402fb
@charter.com

Anon402fb

Anon

said by mdavej:

said by Anona14de :

@mdavej

My bills don't go back that far, so I can't tell you exactly, but it was roughly $80 for my Silver package, then $30 for Choice. I kept my $10 bundle discount with internet when I switched. "Broadcast Fee" is about $8 in my market regardless of my package. But I cut the cord a while ago and no longer have cable TV at all.

I talk to chat and they said the broadcast fee was $8.85 instead of the $3 that has bee posted by some. A shame really. That doesn't make this really any cheaper than the other OTT options and they give you more channels.
mdavej
united state

1 recommendation

mdavej

said by Anon402fb :

I talk to chat and they said the broadcast fee was $8.85 instead of the $3 that has bee posted by some. A shame really. That doesn't make this really any cheaper than the other OTT options and they give you more channels.

Astronomical bogus fees tacked onto the bait and switch lowball price is the reason I dropped Choice and went with an OTT service (DirecTV NOW). $8.85 is a whopping 40% of the $22 price of the Choice package. That's totally unacceptable, especially when I get all my broadcast channels for free over the air anyway.

This $3 broadcast fee is the exception, not the rule.