spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ande8150
join:2012-04-15
North York, ON

ande8150

[TV] HD Receiver with 4k PVR

I just called Bell and placed an order to upgrade my HD PVR to a 4K PVR. I did not upgrade my second HD Receiver to a 4K Receiver. Just want to validate - will the HD Receiver work with the 4K PVR? I don't want it to display4k content, just want to ensure it can work fully in HD with the PVR.

Anon06f70
@bell.ca

Anon06f70

Anon

Yes.
ande8150
North York, ON

ande8150

Thanks very much.
HCKev
join:2017-11-28

HCKev to ande8150

to ande8150
If you mean using your HD PVR as a regular receiver, no, you can't have two PVR in the same account. When the 4K PVR will be activated, the HD PVR will automatically be deactivated
ande8150
North York, ON

ande8150

2nd question - am also upgrading to the home hub 3000 and it looks like the 3000 doesn't support coax which is how my second receiver is currently connected. Am I going to have to do a different run with Ethernet to use it ? Will Bell do that for me during the install? Would need like 100+ feet of cable to do it.

Also, can I go wireless between the 3000 and the pvr, then wired between the pvr and hd receiver?
HCKev

HCKev

said by ande8150:

2nd question - looks like the 3000 doesn't support coax which is how my second receiver is connected. Am I going to have to do a different run with Ethernet to use it ? Will Bell do that for me during the install? Would need like 100+ feet of cable to do it.

The technician will find an alternate way to connect it. If running cat5e cable is feasible, that's how it will be connected. Otherwise, the tech might use a VAP3400 to make it wireless or use PLCs. (powerline adapters). If that still doesn't work, there are Ethernet-to-coax adapters, but only a handful of white-gloves tech has them, so more of a last resort solution.
ande8150
North York, ON

ande8150

Thanks. And no, I wasn't going to use the HD PVR as a second receiver. Just wanted to keep my existing second HD receiver without having to upgrade to a 4k one.
HCKev

HCKev

said by ande8150:

Thanks. And no, I wasn't going to use the HD PVR as a second receiver. Just wanted to keep my existing second HD receiver without having to upgrade to a 4k one.

There isn't any non-PVR 4K receiver yet. And I can confirm I see clients with old 1200 or 1232 receivers from time to time, they can still be used as long as they still work. However, having the 4K PVR also upgrade the number of simultaneous streams for the receivers, from 4(3 HD, 1SD) to 10, and also 6 simultaneous recordings.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to HCKev

Premium Member

to HCKev
said by HCKev:

If that still doesn't work, there are Ethernet-to-coax adapters, but only a handful of white-gloves tech has them, so more of a last resort solution.

This is what I use for my 4K PVR because I didn’t have an available ethernet run to the receiver. Bought a pair of DirecTV ones off eBay for cheap. They work great for converting the existing coax run into ethernet.

Caveat: the coax run you want to convert has to be a “home run” with no other spitters in the mix. It works in my case because I was previously a satellite subscriber and all the coax runs are direct back to my utility closet.
HCKev

HCKev

said by mr weather:

Caveat: the coax run you want to convert has to be a “home run” with no other spitters in the mix. It works in my case because I was previously a satellite subscriber and all the coax runs are direct back to my utility closet.

The ones Bell uses works with HPNA splitters The only caveat is that you need to use an adapter to convert from coax to Ethernet at the modem and at each receiver (you can't connect directly to the coaxial port on receivers that has one, or into the coax of the HH2000, you need to convert back Ethernet), and the adapters also has their own AC adapter, which is one less electrical outlet available.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

You can use splitters as long as they're HPNA compatible. They're good for down to about 3-4MHz, rather than the 5-10MHz a standard splitter would use. MoCA splitters are the opposite, and have enhanced frequency range at the top end rather than the bottom.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

My guess is most people use cheap dollar store splitters which I'm not too sure would be HPNA compatible.

Another thing with the DirecTV ones is they max out at about 60-70 Mbps. I've had no issues with mine for FibeTV but I suspect someone on gigabit wouldn't want to use them for regular ethernet.
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

I use the actiontec MOCA adapters. Fantastic devices. Turns coax into ethernet, and I just put a switch at each drop. Was expensive, but worth it for me.

Bell tech on my install was floored it worked with everything, including the boxes.

Full Gbit support. I can't find them in Canada, so I had to buy from the USA, thankfully, before our dollar turned to crap.
ande8150
North York, ON

ande8150

Thanks to all for the advice. The tech did end up connecting the box with a VAP device so it is wireless. Works great so far.