spc
Search similar:

uniqs
thehondaboy
join:2009-07-19
Auburn, GA

1 recommendation

thehondaboy

Any gig router slowing gig connection by 80%+ Why?

I have a Motorola MB8600 (it is modem only btw, no routing) that when directly wired to multiple test machines is hitting gigabit speeds. However, when placing a gigabit router in the network (I have tried a Linksys WRT3200ACM and a D-Link DGL-5500; both gigabit routers) the speed drops off to less than 200M. I have tested with multiple Cat5e and Cat6 cabling. I have attempted a reset and factory reset on both routers multiple times, played with QoS, etc. But no matter what, when running the MB8600 into a router the speed crashes. And when you then pull the routers out of the mix and wire the MB8600 straight to a computer or Xbox it rockets back up to 900M+.

So what in the world would cause multiple gigabit routers tested with factory resets and multiple cables to throttle the pass-through speed by 80%? I've exhausted my knowledge and am leaning toward it being an IPv4/IPv6 issue, but will not be able to test those options till I'm back home this evening. But any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

15 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

Many "gigabit" routers are labeled that because of their 1GigE ports and LAN-to-LAN port transfer speed capability. WAN-to-LAN and LAN-to-WAN transfer speeds are often much less than 1 Gbps.

The Small Net Builder site's tests of those two routers shows speeds through the router at around 500 Mbps max. If any special features are enabled, the extra packet processing can slow transfer speeds even more.

Linksys WRT3200ACM: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

D-Link DGL-5500: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

7 recommendations

DarkLogix

Premium Member

IMO get an EdgeRouter and use your current router as an AP.

Edin702
join:2008-02-29
Virginia Beach, VA

4 recommendations

Edin702 to thehondaboy

to thehondaboy
You shouldn’t use QoS. Make sure that’s disabled. If using QoS 200mbps sounds about right
thehondaboy
Auburn, GA

2 recommendations

thehondaboy

Not sure I've explained well based on the responses. I'm not using QoS and these are test conditions testing wired connections from MB8600 > desktop/laptop/xbox and then attaching the WRT3200 router with a factory reset and testing a wired connection with only one device. Xbox and laptop will hit about 200M and desktop will barely crack 100M when wired with the router.

So even if the WRT3200 can only hit 500M wired (which is nonsense) it doesn't make any sense that a device will test at 1gig when directly plugged into the modem and drop to 100-200M with a router with gig ports on a wired connection. I mean obviously that's not functioning correctly and it has nothing to do with the slight service degradation we all get when connecting a standalone router to our modems.

Furthermore, prior to the upgrade to gig service this past weekend, my WRT3200 was maxing 370M off peak. So at a minimum, even if the router was incapable of hitting 1gig it should at minimum hit 370M.

Is there any information within the MB8600 menus that would indicate a setting was off or Comcast did not properly setup the modem?

Otherwise, I still lean toward some IPv4 or IPv6 conflict as that seems to be a common issue with these modems.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

8 recommendations

tshirt

Premium Member

said by thehondaboy:

Is there any information within the MB8600 menus that would indicate a setting was off or Comcast did not properly setup the modem?

If you can get 900M direct to the modem to several devices, but only 200 through the router(s) then the routers are the problem
Everyone gets the same basic config to the modem, plus a config file for their speed...again the same after each reboot
so something in your routers setups is incorrect

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

14 recommendations

jbob to thehondaboy

Premium Member

to thehondaboy
said by thehondaboy:

So even if the WRT3200 can only hit 500M wired (which is nonsense) it doesn't make any sense that a device will test at 1gig when directly plugged into the modem and drop to 100-200M with a router with gig ports on a wired connection. I mean obviously that's not functioning correctly and it has nothing to do with the slight service degradation we all get when connecting a standalone router to our modems.

If you took the time to read the tests at the link provided by telcodad See Profile you'd see neither one of your routers can pass but so much bandwidth from WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN.

It was explained that calling them Gigabit routers is not factually true. Yes it has a Gigabit WAN port and yes it has Gigabit LAN ports. But the routers do not have enough processing power to pass that much bandwidth back and forth from the WAN. The tests at smallnetbuilder are a pretty good guide.

CarbonCopy
join:2003-01-29
Fresno, CA

3 recommendations

CarbonCopy to thehondaboy

to thehondaboy
The advanced settings of the dslr speed test let you limit the download speed. You could try experimenting with that to see how fast your routers can go before they get overloaded and bog down.
thehondaboy
Auburn, GA

1 recommendation

thehondaboy to jbob

to jbob
said by jbob:

If you took the time to read the tests at the link provided by telcodad See Profile you'd see neither one of your routers can pass but so much bandwidth from WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN.

It was explained that calling them Gigabit routers is not factually true. Yes it has a Gigabit WAN port and yes it has Gigabit LAN ports. But the routers do not have enough processing power to pass that much bandwidth back and forth from the WAN. The tests at smallnetbuilder are a pretty good guide.

I did take the time and I think we can agree that 370M > 100M, right? Recall that I said that even if the WRT3200 maxes at ~500M and it was pushing 370M on my previous service grade, it should not suddenly drop to ~100M on a gig service plan. It should, based on your own remarks, be pushing somewhere close to capacity. Even if the router maxed at 500M and we saw a 25% dropoff, which would be unheard of, we would see still see speeds around ~375M - which we know the router is capable of and I have seen it with my eyeballs.

Point being... when the problem is corrected, we should see speeds increase closer to the router's capacity whether it is a "legitimate" gigabit router or not.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

4 recommendations

Demonfang to thehondaboy

to thehondaboy
Most consumer routers are incapable of routing that much internet traffic, doubly so when using any QoS. I would recommend an edgerouter 4. It should be able to handle QoS at that speed.

»store.ubnt.com/collectio ··· router-4

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

Many "gigabit" routers are labeled that because of their 1GigE ports and LAN-to-LAN port transfer speed capability. WAN-to-LAN and LAN-to-WAN transfer speeds are often much less than 1 Gbps.

The Small Net Builder site's tests of those two routers shows speeds through the router at around 500 Mbps max. If any special features are enabled, the extra packet processing can slow transfer speeds even more.

Linksys WRT3200ACM: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

D-Link DGL-5500: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

As far as "true" gigabit wireless routers go, the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S (R7800) AC2600 model »www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N ··· 192911RA was ranked #1 in overall performance among AC routers on the SmallNetBuilder site »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· ev10/391 , »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed
thehondaboy
Auburn, GA

1 recommendation

thehondaboy

said by telcodad:

As far as "true" gigabit wireless routers go, the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S (R7800) AC2600 model »www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N ··· 192911RA was ranked #1 in overall performance among AC routers on the SmallNetBuilder site

Well hell, let's go get one right now and see how it does. bbl
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

4 recommendations

AndyDufresne to thehondaboy

Premium Member

to thehondaboy
Check you router to make sure taffic meter isn't on by default after reset Had issue with slow speed after gig install on r7000 and shut that off and problem fixed, consistent 940M +.
thehondaboy
Auburn, GA

1 recommendation

thehondaboy

I come to report more of the same. I brought an R7800 home this evening and got it up and running, rebooted the MB8600, powered the R7800 and ran tests on the internal speed test wired to a laptop. 405M was the high. Since I've seen the WRT spike to ~315M before crashing to ~100M I'd say all this confirms is that this is a great router that has the power to sustain high speeds. Moreover, from what I can see on these forums it has been established that the R7800 can hit 900M+. No chance this router should be seeing a 60% drop.

So whatever is unhappy it's unhappy in all three routers (Netgear 7800, Linksys WRT3200ACM, D-Link DGL-5500).
thehondaboy

1 recommendation

thehondaboy to AndyDufresne

to AndyDufresne
said by AndyDufresne:

Check you router to make sure taffic meter isn't on by default after reset Had issue with slow speed after gig install on r7000 and shut that off and problem fixed, consistent 940M +.

Thx! Not sure what traffic meter would be on the WRT. I google'd the setting and will try it on the R7800.
kucharsk
join:2001-03-30
Louisville, CO

7 recommendations

kucharsk to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
With HW offload enabled the ER-4 can do 930 Mbps; there is still a slight performance drop as opposed to wired directly into the modem, but for all intents and purposes that's basically Gigabit speed.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

2 recommendations

sk1939 to thehondaboy

Premium Member

to thehondaboy
Have you tried replacing the cables to make sure you don't have a bad one?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by sk1939:

Have you tried replacing the cables to make sure you don't have a bad one?

Yeah, I had thought about that too, but he did say:
said by thehondaboy:

... I have tested with multiple Cat5e and Cat6 cabling. ...

Not to say that there still couldn't be an issue with those, though.
thehondaboy
Auburn, GA

3 recommendations

thehondaboy

Okay friends, new wrinkle!

I run 7 wired devices on my network which is accomplished via a gig switch wired to the router. It dawned on me that I had never tried MB8600 > WRT3200 > gig switch > laptop (Blade Pro, i7). And at this point, why not try?

So I did and I hit 850M. Can post a screenshot later tonight.

So I went back to look at the smallhomebuilder site, and I think it was on p3 there's actually a chart that says wan>lan throughput is 1.2Gbps. So I think we can put to rest the notion that the WRT3200 won't pass 500M. That's clearly incorrect. And comparing the specs to the Nighthawk, I'd bet that with DD-WRT on the WRT3200 that it would pass 900M. But that's a different issue that I can play with later.

To the point, once I placed the switch inline it changed something and everything on the laptop works now. I.E. I can also hook the laptop directly to the router now and it will hit 700M.

Odd things still TBD:
1) There is a slight drop off when directly connected to the router (~700M) compared to being behind the router AND the switch (~850M).
2) This trick did not work for my desktop (i7, 16g ram, ssd, gig ports). In other words, repeating the process of running the desktop behind the switch did not clear the issue. So desktop is still experiencing the throttling.
3) Wireless is also not working and still hitting ~200M on iphone/ipad.

I will test the Nighthawk again when I get home from work. My expectation is that on the laptop it should now hit 900M+. But now how to clear this issue on my other devices is now the question.
thehondaboy

1 recommendation

thehondaboy to kucharsk

to kucharsk
said by kucharsk:

With HW offload enabled the ER-4 can do 930 Mbps; there is still a slight performance drop as opposed to wired directly into the modem, but for all intents and purposes that's basically Gigabit speed.

I'll give it consideration if that seems to be the consensus best router for us gigabit customers. But what is the suggested and fastest tested WAP for use with that router? I could go ER-4 and then get a WAP that would also replace my current switch and be gtg.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

3 recommendations

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by thehondaboy:

said by kucharsk:

I'll give it consideration if that seems to be the consensus best router for us gigabit customers. But what is the suggested and fastest tested WAP for that route? I could go ER-4 and then get a WAP that would also replace my current switch and be gtg.

For WAP's I like the UniFi line.
But you should be able to just run your router as an AP (there's FAQ for it on this site)
thehondaboy
Auburn, GA

1 recommendation

thehondaboy

said by DarkLogix:

But you should be able to just run your router as an AP (there's FAQ for it on this site)

That could be an option. It would at least futureproof me for whenever we actually start getting 3x3 in connected wireless devices.

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

3 recommendations

halfband

Premium Member

I run a similar config of "single function components" with a non-wifi router, gig switch and another router repurposed as an AP. Very flexible configuration as you can place the AP in the best place for the antennas to work. The main router has all the wifi and local traffic offloaded too.
If you have a large number of devices and the parts on hand, this is really the way to go to utilize a high throughput connection.
sd70mac
Premium Member
join:2015-10-18
Woodstock, IL
Netgear CM1200
Linksys WRT1900ACS
Ooma Telo

sd70mac to thehondaboy

Premium Member

to thehondaboy
If you’re running Windows, using SpeedGuide TCP optimizer as recommended in this post (»*POTENTIAL* Fix to those with Mediacom Gigabit speed issues ) could help. I also tried it out myself, even though I only have Extreme 250.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt to thehondaboy

Premium Member

to thehondaboy
said by thehondaboy:

MB8600 > WRT3200 > gig switch >

so the built in switch for the WRT3200 is weak, OR the processor on the 3200 chipset/processor/memory can handle the routing alone just fine, but not in combination with high speed switching/cache/que and other switching function.
a lot of home/SOHO hardware is in that class enough to handle 1 or 2 full side clients, but easily overwhelmed when exposed to a handful of fast machines.
The ISP's can now deliver at the full speed the weak point is in the HOME network, which now needs to support full speed of a 10-20 seat small business....old SOHO equipment need not apply.
separating function within the network stack
modem
router
switches
access points
etc.

allows the best affordable unit for each function but likely a high % of the total hardware budget.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

3 recommendations

DarkLogix to thehondaboy

Premium Member

to thehondaboy
said by thehondaboy:

said by DarkLogix:

That could be an option. It would at least futureproof me for whenever we actually start getting 3x3 in connected wireless devices.

Ya, I figure it'd be more cost effective to re-use what you have.

Personally I'm running a UAP-AC-HD and a UAP-AC-SHD (both are 802.11AC wave 2 4x4) there's two for redundancy not coverage.
sprintLTE
join:2018-02-11
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

sprintLTE to thehondaboy

to thehondaboy
I use a basic as can be Belkin ac1600, it gives me my full gig speeds over Ethernet no problem.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 recommendation

jbob

Premium Member

said by sprintLTE:

I use a basic as can be Belkin ac1600, it gives me my full gig speeds over Ethernet no problem.

Do you have an Xfinity Gigabit connection? And you're getting the full 940 Mbps speeds?
thehondaboy
Auburn, GA

2 recommendations

thehondaboy to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

so the built in switch for the WRT3200 is weak, OR the processor on the 3200 chipset/processor/memory can handle the routing alone just fine, but not in combination with high speed switching/cache/que and other switching function.

Well maybe. I'm also saying that once the issue cleared, I could go wired from router > laptop and still hit ~700M. Previously recall that this was stuck at ~200M.

So while you are likely correct, and in general there are hardware limitations, there is still some sort of conflict that was cleared with the laptop connection that is still occurring in the desktop and wireless connections.

And by the way, (can't believe I failed to mention this...) this exact same problem was occurring with the Xfinity branded gig modem they first brought out. It's why I bought the MB8600 to begin with as I thought the issue was Comcast's crappy hardware. So the problem is still some conflict at the router level.
thehondaboy

2 recommendations

thehondaboy

Just bought an EdgeRouter 4. Will be here Sunday for testing.