3 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Google China Prototype Links Searches to Phone Numbers

Following

»Google Plans to Launch Censored Search Engine in China

we have
quote:
Google built a prototype of a censored search engine for China that links users’ searches to their personal phone numbers, thus making it easier for the Chinese government to monitor people’s queries, The Intercept can reveal.
»theintercept.com/2018/09 ··· numbers/

The Chicoms like to "watch" too.

»Big Brother Cameras in China
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

3 recommendations

InternetJeff

It is disgusting that Google has gotten back in bed with the Chi-com regime after having pulled out just a few years ago. Linking a person's web searches to that person's phone number is an incredible Security and Privacy problem. And this is just the beginning of the Internet Industrial Complex (Search, ISP, Social Media, etc.) seeking to cozy up with administrative state governments to subtly (ay first) control and shape people's individual liberties. This has significant Security implications for the internet. And yet nary much from the MSM.

People will not care. Until they wake up to discover that they are living under it. Shame on Google.

Lather, rinse, and repeat.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

6 recommendations

Kearnstd to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
The sad thing is our own pols and letter agencies want shit like this in the USA. Crying “national security “

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
In the Matrix movie series machines use humans to produce electricity. In return the humans exist in a machine created reality that keeps them docile.

In reality some organizations (Google/Facebook/etc + governments) suck data from the rest of humanity. In return those people get "free" stuff (apps etc) that keeps them docile.

Interesting parallel and in most cases humans are completely oblivious to it all.

From a purely technical viewpoint it is an amazing surveillance mechanism. One that no government could've dreamed of or created. However now that it exists they'll use it to full advantage.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I do not think a government would have been capable of it technically. I mean can you imagine how many trillions it would cost them to build a single Google class data center with all the overhead of Cost Plus contracts.

An example of government expenditure. estimates put the Falcon 9 at about 390million to develop the first flight ready version. NASA estimated that if it were done with traditional government contracts it would have cost 3.5 billion.

StuartMW
Premium Member

3 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well the irony is that the US DoD created the internet via ARPANET in 1969.

»www.livescience.com/2072 ··· ory.html

Private industry took that and ran with it.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Cold War gave us some amazing foundations for technology. Missiles and space race laid the foundations for modern microchips.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
Really? I m not so sure. And what is a “with all the overhead of Cost Plus contracts”?

Where is “all the overhead of XXX contract” not paid for?

“The actual cost of Falcon 9 & Heavy expendable may be 132 million, 300 million respectively according to spaceX official statements. For comparison, Atlas V price starts at 109 million according to ULA official website. So expendable falcon 9 may actually be more expensive than Atlas V and falcon heavy marginally cheaper than Delta IV heavy. The cost estimates are just very simple and straightforward derivation of official figures. Detailed derivations are provided at another forum because it is not relevant to ULA.”

“...ULA executive in a leaked speech in which he suspect spaceX deliberately under price to drive competitors out of business and try to make up loss by hyping up its stock value. ...”

“I thought spaceX was so much better until I realize this possible cost estimate. I am much more sceptical about that company now. SpaceX 's grand ambitions may look attractive but they are no more than presentations. If not for getting out of musk's mouth, most people would dismiss them as silly because they appear very unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future...”
said by Kearnstd:

I do not think a government would have been capable of it technically. I mean can you imagine how many trillions it would cost them to build a single Google class data center with all the overhead of Cost Plus contracts.”

An example of government expenditure. estimates put the Falcon 9 at about 390million to develop the first flight ready version. NASA estimated that if it were done with traditional government contracts it would have cost 3.5 billion.

Ragar
join:2009-10-04
The Colony, TX

Ragar to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

It is disgusting that Google has gotten back in bed with the Chi-com regime after having pulled out just a few years ago. Linking a person's web searches to that person's phone number is an incredible Security and Privacy problem. And this is just the beginning of the Internet Industrial Complex (Search, ISP, Social Media, etc.) seeking to cozy up with administrative state governments to subtly (ay first) control and shape people's individual liberties. This has significant Security implications for the internet. And yet nary much from the MSM.

People will not care. Until they wake up to discover that they are living under it. Shame on Google.

Lather, rinse, and repeat.

This is a business decision. All Google apps have been blocked in China for years due to their unwillingness to comply with Chinese ISP rules (i.e. censorship).
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.

1 recommendation

InternetJeff to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark
I'm no shill for Musk, but I view SpaceX a little differently than his other current misadventures.

The Delta and Atlas boosters do not land vertically back on the pad to be reused. So that has to be a significant savings.
InternetJeff

2 recommendations

InternetJeff to Ragar

to Ragar
said by Ragar:

This is a business decision. All Google apps have been blocked in China for years due to their unwillingness to comply with Chinese ISP rules (i.e. censorship).

I get the business decision. But to what degree should a US company (be allowed to) help repress people in another nation?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to Irish Shark

Premium Member

to Irish Shark
Cost Plus contracting is when the contractor can keep asking for more money.

COTS or Commercial Orbital Transportation Service which was the NASA program that helped fund the very first F9 and the Orbital ATK competitor were fixed that means NASA said "You get this and that is it"

COTS was an interesting program and probably one of the best investments made by the country. Falcon 9 now has roughy 60% of the commercial launch market. previously the USA had 0% with most being done by Ariane or the Russians(and some India and China). Now a big chunk of that is flying on Falcon 9, An American rocket with American Engines(rather than Russian ones like some ULA vehicles) which is assembled and launched in America.

I highly doubt SpaceX is operating at a loss, Also they have no stock as they are not a public company. Musk is deliberately keeping the company private because he knows there is no way in hell Wall Street would have let the company innovate.

As far as being a Musk company, I think SpaceX works because of Gwynne Shotwell. She is the COO of SpaceX and handles the day to day operations of the company. I think if Tesla day to day were run by someone like her only with automotive experience instead of aerospace it would be a better functioning company.

of course to somewhat try and drift back on topic, Yes SpaceX does launch some of the very satellites that letter agencies use to spy on us.
Kearnstd

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

said by Ragar:

I get the business decision. But to what degree should a US company (be allowed to) help repress people in another nation?

I would say no degrees, but when dealing with countries(edit, typed companies heh) like China they will just steal the technology anyway.

Google faces fun times with Europe too, The Right to be forgotten. I think they have to do it across all sights and not just EU locals. Personally I think Right to be forgotten is silly, If you do something so scummy so dirty that you are at the top of a Google search for being a scumbag maybe the person should have tried not to be a scumbag.
Ragar
The Colony, TX

3 recommendations

Ragar to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

Google must follow US rules here, but shouldn't be "allowed" to follow rules in other countries? So who decides the rules for China? I don't agree with Chinese ISP rules, but it is pretty dangerous to leave it up to the US government or Google.
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.

InternetJeff

said by Ragar:

said by InternetJeff:

Google must follow US rules here, but shouldn't be "allowed" to follow rules in other countries? So who decides the rules for China? I don't agree with Chinese ISP rules, but it is pretty dangerous to leave it up to the US government or Google.

It's not about following rules in other countries. It's about the US prohibiting US companies from doing business in/with countries that engage in human rights abuses. We already restrict US businesses from dealing with Iran, NK, and others due to bad behavior.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

For me it's about being a sleazy "anything for a buck" company that helps the totalitarian Chicom's repress their citizens. An "old fashioned" notion I admit. Many Congresscritters are taking bribes donations from the Chicom's so they're "ok".

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Irish Shark to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
Sorry that you got that wrong.

It is a FFP contract that has the vendor is looking for a poorly defined SOW and claiming a change in scope. That is where they ask for more money.
In a CP*F contract, I get reimbursed for my actual costs and what ever fee arrangement the contract is bid/negotiated at. I do not have to “ask” for more money.
said by Kearnstd:

Cost Plus contracting is when the contractor can keep asking for more money.

EDIT: Move * to right place.
Irish Shark

Irish Shark to InternetJeff

MVM

to InternetJeff
You did not get it.

...ULA executive in a leaked speech in which he suspect spaceX deliberately under price to drive competitors out of business and try to make up loss by hyping up its stock value. ...”

Low balled the bid and got the contract, but the money maker is in the stock price.
Ragar
The Colony, TX

Ragar to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

said by Ragar:

said by InternetJeff:

It's not about following rules in other countries. It's about the US prohibiting US companies from doing business in/with countries that engage in human rights abuses. We already restrict US businesses from dealing with Iran, NK, and others due to bad behavior.

That is interesting but not if you don't think US companies should be allowed to do business in China, first good luck, and second start a new topic.