All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
denetizen
join:2018-01-23
Kitchener, ON

denetizen

Ignite Gigabit Internet (Arris TG3482G) Bridge Mode?

Rogers says they don't recommend/support the TG3482G in bridge mode. Anyone have it working successfully? In gateway mode, DHCP cannot be disabled or configured to offer clients an alternate DNS to Rogers default. As my home network has several routers/APs, I'd like more control so bridging would be optimal.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

4 recommendations

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Rogers never supports bridge mode, but they let you enable it. It's just that they won't help you if you have any issues. Quite a few people have enabled the Arris in bridge mode, but as far as I've seen the general consensus is that people have issues ranging from lack of Netflix working on their Ignite TV receivers all the way to the Ignite TV receivers simply failing after many days (or weeks) of correct operation.

Basically, it can be done and it's an option in the admin interface, but your mileage may vary on reliability.

kibosh
join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

3 recommendations

kibosh

Actually bridge mode works fine now. The only issue was if you enabled IPv6 on your personal router, it broke Ignite TV. That has since been rectified. I currently have no issues with the rogers gateway bridged.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

3 recommendations

SimplePanda to denetizen

Premium Member

to denetizen
There's a thread / post on the community forum (Rogers) about bridge mode failing for another customer over the weeken and requiring a reset to gateway mode to remedy. For some reason all he/she could get was HGTV (of all things) and nothing else would work.

Mileage may vary, I guess. Ignite TV is still somewhat new.

kibosh
Whitby, ON

2 recommendations

kibosh

I am not sure what that person's issue is but I was travelling very closely with this issue. I was in contact with Rogers directly and they would fail your location check for live TV because the IPv6 prefix given out by your personal router was slightly different from the IPv6 prefix from the rogers one. But there were no issues at all if you didn't enable IPv6.

Sometimes weird stuff can happen and all you need to do is reboot your router. I am guessing because they are authenticating over the public internet unlike bell which is using a private connection for IPTV.

The beauty in the Rogers solution is that you can use all of your own routers and access points for your TVs rather than having to rely on a centrally located HH3000. This was great for one of my TVs in the basement that had a marginal signal with Bell.
denetizen
join:2018-01-23
Kitchener, ON

denetizen

In our installation, we had to move the new modem from the office (adjacent to a heavily used computer) into the basement as it was the only location where ethernet and telephony were co-located. I am trying an intermediary step with the modem before trying bridge mode. We have it isolated on its own subnet with a DHCP scope of 1 and wifi turned off. Since installation a week ago, it's required a reboot three times. Sucks that the little red light is in the basement, out of view. Maybe I need a camera pointed at the modem We're hoping to have a senior tech visit this week to start, once again, checking why our bandwidth to the building is so poor.

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998 to kibosh

to kibosh
said by kibosh:

Actually bridge mode works fine now. The only issue was if you enabled IPv6 on your personal router, it broke Ignite TV. That has since been rectified. I currently have no issues with the rogers gateway bridged.

Can you post the link to this in the rogers forum I've not been keeping up with the Ignite stuff recently.

kibosh
Whitby, ON

2 recommendations

kibosh

sure . . . its at »communityforums.rogers.c ··· p/423545

The thread is quite lengthy.

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998

Thanks.

And that is ok I was already reading this up to like page 25 just haven't gone back to it, was faster to get you to post the link than to go searching for it