StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

4 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Facebook's new home gadget might have a creepy camera as its main feature

quote:
After calling off the launch of a smart display device earlier this year, Facebook is reportedly planning to announce it next week. Here are the details from Cheddar‘s Alex Heath, who cites unnamed sources:

• The main feature will be video chat, and Facebook will use facial recognition to tag users and follow them around the room. (Amazon’s Echo Show and Google-powered smart displays don’t identify users’ faces, though some security cameras do.)

• The device will have a privacy shutter to disable the camera tracking, but amazingly, Facebook may have only thought to include this in response to its own recent privacy scandals.

»www.fastcompany.com/9024 ··· -feature
StuartMW

StuartMW

Premium Member

The original source.

»cheddar.com/videos/faceb ··· ext-week
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

InternetJeff to StuartMW

to StuartMW
With all of the controversial shenanigans Facebook has been caught it, why would one put one of Facebooks's cameras in one's home?

StuartMW
Premium Member

4 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Because some will see it as cool/hip/etc.
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

InternetJeff

said by StuartMW:

I wonder if Facebook has thought of using information captured from the cameras as a criteria to track, score, or otherwise evaluate its users. For example, "customizing" ads served on Facebook to a user based upon observed behavior in the home. They could also use info captured, like the media you are watching or listening to, or certain conversations in your home, to tweak the algorithms used to suppress your posts, or even aid in the shadow-banning process for certain users.

This is not a stretch, as Apple is now pursuing the "scoring" of user devices based upon the phone calls users make, and other factors.

How many people will be lulled in by the "that's cool" factor to install more social media corporation's sensors in the privacy of their homes? It is an interesting Security and Privacy issue.

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by InternetJeff:

I wonder if Facebook has thought of using information captured from the cameras as a criteria to track, score, or otherwise evaluate its users.

Almost certainly IMO. That's the whole point.

Apple, since its beginning, has appealed to the cool/hip/etc crowd. IMO that's a large percentage of their users.

I'm not sure FB has the same appeal but perhaps "enough".
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
$300 to $400 for a video chat device. With facial recog. And follow around the room. By Facebook.

Hmm, how much does a USB cam and a roll of duct tape cost these days?

Regards

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 edits

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

This product was slated to be released during the week just gone. I've been checking and have seen no sign of it. Perhaps FB has delayed the release (again) because of

»Facebook Data Breach!!! Up to 50m Facebook accounts attacked

»Facebook admits using your phone number to provide targeted ads

Delayed back in May.

»venturebeat.com/2018/03/ ··· scandal/

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Well, I can't speak for everybody but this camera could be put to practical use against fraud.

Don't ya just hate it or at the least have a less fulfilling, skepticism filled experience when you call your favorite 900 toll charge service for friendly conversation when "Monique" answers the call and "she" has a noticeably husky voice?
How many times have we heard "Yes, I have a cold, but it only makes me hotter, etc..."

You immediately wonder about 'Monique' - then start to feel uncomfortable telling 'Monique' just exactly, in great detail what you'd like to do with 'her'?
Damn, I hate that when it happens!

/sarcasm

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by InternetJeff:

With all of the controversial shenanigans Facebook has been caught it, why would one put one of Facebooks's cameras in one's home?

said by StuartMW:

StuartMW
Premium Member

4 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

It's out! Get yours now!

»portal.facebook.com/
quote:
Private by design

Portal was created with privacy, safety and security in mind. And it has clear and simple settings, so you stay in control.
quote:
Facebook doesn’t listen to, view or keep the contents of your Portal video calls. Your Portal conversations stay between you and the people you’re calling.
Let's start a pool for how long it'll take for this thing to be hacked. I'll give it a week.
HELLFIRE
MVM

2 recommendations

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by StuartMW:

Let's start a pool for how long it'll take for this thing to be hacked or Facebook has to eat crow.

FIFY. I'm sporting : 3 days, tops. Can we sic the Black Hat / DEFCON guys on this? I'm always up for a good PWNIE award!

Regards

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

4 recommendations

camper to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Facebook will use facial recognition to tag users and follow them around the room

Another article...

Facebook's new home appliance kit Portal doesn't do Facebook
Trust us, pleads Zuck
»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _portal/

...It's always listening to you and comes from a division of Facebook run by the former head of DARPA, so what could possibly be creepy about Facebook's new hardware experiment, Portal?

Facebook bills Portal as a video-calling device designed to always be on – making distant friends and relatives more accessible....

[emphasis mine]

Oh, this is not going to end well....
HELLFIRE
MVM

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
quote:
For Portal to succeed, Facebook must persuade punters who already have very capable video chat hardware (their phones and tablets) to spend nearly $700 on a pair of devices that need to stay plugged in all the time. Good luck with that, Zuck.
said by HELLFIRE:

$300 to $400 for a video chat device. With facial recog. And follow around the room. By Facebook.

Hmm, how much does a USB cam and a roll of duct tape cost these days?

Just on price, F**K NO!!

Just on Facebook... well I don't need to complete that sentence, do i?

Regards

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by HELLFIRE:

...I don't need to complete that sentence, do i?

"We're from the Government Facebook and we're here to help"?
said by camper:

Trust us, pleads Zuck

Err, good luck with that.
HELLFIRE
MVM

3 recommendations

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by StuartMW:

said by HELLFIRE:

...I don't need to complete that sentence, do i?

"We're from the Government Facebook and we're here to help"?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· nRCJ_4Ww

...amongst other phrases...

Regards