join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

[Viasat] DNS Bumsteer

Most puzzling, if I insert this URL into browser,

foxwelltech.com

this site will not come up, but if I insert this URL,

www.foxwelltech.com

this same site will come up.

Logically, one would conclude either the issue is related to ISP's equipment/configuring, or
something in DNS listing.

Using nslookup, the same numerical IP address is the same for both

C:\>nslookup foxwelltech.com
Server: dns.quad9.net
Address: 9.9.9.9

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: foxwelltech.com
Address: 47.90.57.94

C:\>nslookup www.foxwelltech.com
Server: dns.quad9.net
Address: 9.9.9.9

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.foxwelltech.com
Address: 47.90.57.94

This issue might suggest:

1. Viasat's equipment is high-jacking (not considering) DNS IP info obtained via Quad9, and their DNS server is used to convert URL into a numerical IP address.

If the same IP address exists for different URLs, but one URL requested can't be reached, then this suggests something is causing this SNAFU, which does happen from time to time for Viasat users.

Best guess today is Viasat's DNS server translate the URL to an IP address, and this explains these DNS SNAFUs. Their DNS server is not in sync with a "master" DNS database.

In short, when an user's URL request is made, it is sent twice...in my case, one is sent to Quad9 for a DNS lookup, and the same URL is sent to Viasat's equipment. Then after Quad9 sends back IP address to my computer, this numerical IP address is sent to Viasat, and this "informs" their NOC (core node) to send web-page to me.

Doing it this way would shorten the time-wait for a page to load, btw. But, their DNS server(s) must be updated.