uniqs
dbs12
join:2017-09-04
Mobile, AL

19 recommendations

dbs12

PhoneCarrierCheck.com Released!

Hey Guys,

My team has been working on this for a while and we've finally released it to the public. We're a VOIP carrier ourselves and almost everyone in the company has a need to check phone numbers to find the carrier. Trouble is, there wasn't a really good way to do this. Sure, there were websites like freecarrierlookup.com, but you had to check numbers one at a time and they only let you run a few numbers a month before requiring you to pay. Twilio has a solution, but it's entirely API-driven and crazy expensive.

So, we decided to write our own. Simple website with a single purpose - enter or paste a list of US phone numbers and it returns back a list of the number with the carrier. It queries the numbers in real-time, and it's FAST.

Please let me know what you guys think. We're certainly going to be improving it, we're at v1 right now and just want to get some initial feedback to improve it.

»phonecarriercheck.com/
PX Eliezer0
join:2017-01-15
Ho Ho Kus, NJ

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer0

Looks good, you can use a variety of number formats, and the Captcha was not set too difficult.

Thanks!
carlm
join:2014-09-29
united state

2 recommendations

carlm to dbs12

to dbs12
Tried it on two ported numbers and it showed the correct current carrier.
Looks like it's doing LRN lookups -- cheap but not free.
Thanks!
Cinti
join:2016-08-04
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

Cinti to dbs12

to dbs12
Hello, dbs12 See Profile.

Mixed results.

O.K. for a Bandwidth NPA:978 NXX:254 DID.

No results for a Telengy (CallCentric) NPA:914 NXX:662 DID (tried twice).

Also, I prefer »freecarrierlookup.com simple addition captcha (2 + 1 = ).

I'm sure that as you receive user feedback, the web site will improve.

Good luck.
dbs12
Mobile, AL

dbs12

There are some rural carriers that we can’t get data on. I am assuming that is one of them. As long as it isn’t a rural carrier that is an old ILEC, we should be able to get the date on it.
dbs12

2 recommendations

dbs12 to Cinti

to Cinti
Freecarrierlookup Doesn’t need a very robust human verification system since they are only excepting one phone number at a time. They are not subject to much hacking type activity in. We chose to go with recapacha because it is essentially a Google product and is based on your reputation and history. For most people, all they have to do is click a check box and it verifies.
carlm
united state

carlm to Cinti

to Cinti
said by Cinti:

Interesting. It worked for my Telengy 646-547 DID.
Cinti
Boston, MA

Cinti to dbs12

to dbs12
said by dbs12:

There are some rural carriers that we can’t get data on. I am assuming that is one of them. As long as it isn’t a rural carrier that is an old ILEC, we should be able to get the date on it.

Hello.

Telengy is not a rural carrier. It is a small carrier out of Manhattan, NY.

Tried the same 914 No. on »freecarrierlookup.com and there was a correct result.

For me, blaming the other fellow or lady without knowing who or what it is, would be a non-starter.

As I said earlier, good luck.
carlm
united state

carlm to dbs12

to dbs12
said by dbs12:

I take it you are not going directly to the NPAC database. That's OK. For the price I'm not complaining.
dbs12
Mobile, AL

dbs12

Correct, we are only able to query where we have on-net or off-net coverage in the US, which covers about 95% of the rate centers.
Cinti
Boston, MA

Cinti to dbs12

to dbs12
said by dbs12:

Freecarrierlookup Doesn’t need a very robust human verification system since they are only excepting one phone number at a time. They are not subject to much hacking type activity in. We chose to go with recapacha because it is essentially a Google product and is based on your reputation and history. For most people, all they have to do is click a check box and it verifies.

I was voicing my personal predilection for simplicity.

What evidence do you have that "[Freecarrierlookup is] not subject to much hacking type activity in"?

Again, you are now blaming the user for his or her success with the captcha.

I'm cognizant of the fact that the Internet is a perilous jungle for careless users. I'm a careful user and am very selective about which URLs I click. Having said that, having to click, sometimes incessantly, on one after another captcha for a provider's web site (of whom I'm a paying subscriber) makes me very unhappy.
carlm
united state

carlm to dbs12

to dbs12
said by dbs12:

Correct, we are only able to query where we have on-net or off-net coverage in the US, which covers about 95% of the rate centers.

It's surprising that you don't have coverage for 914-662 (Mt. Vernon, NY -- NYC metro). Might be worth investigating.
PX Eliezer0
Ho Ho Kus, NJ

PX Eliezer0 to carlm

to carlm
said by carlm:

Same here.

-----

dbs12, in case it's helpful, Telengy is a CLEC operated by the CallCentric VoIP company, the Telengy numbers currently are offered in various parts of NY State.

hapollo
join:2007-05-13
WesterOS

2 recommendations

hapollo

said by carlm:

said by Cinti:

said by PX Eliezer0:

Same here.

No problems either on the 4 Telengy #s I have access to.

Thanks for the service dbs12

Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

5 recommendations

Frank_IT to dbs12

Premium Member

to dbs12
I tried with a canadian number... and it worked!
ipso
join:2018-05-13
Joshua Tree, CA

2 recommendations

ipso to dbs12

to dbs12
I checked several numbers with success. My Truphone number, which I assumed was on the AT&T network, came up with Level 3/1 as carrier, which I'm ignorant about. Thanks.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

cb14 to PX Eliezer0

to PX Eliezer0
said by PX Eliezer0:

Looks good, you can use a variety of number formats, and the Captcha was not set too difficult.

Thanks!

Actually, it only took the 10 digit format and once I prepended 1, it reported ' number not found' . Otherwise it works okay however only for US/CAN numbers.
PX Eliezer0
Ho Ho Kus, NJ

PX Eliezer0

Ah but you can do it with or without dashes, with or without parentheses.

Even combine those different combinations in the same search.

Some other sites cannot handle dashes and parentheses.

It does not do "dots" however.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

2 recommendations

Stewart to dbs12

to dbs12
Tried a few numbers and it looks pretty good.

It would be nice if you could see the carrier for toll free.

The 310-734 (LRN is 12134930978, OCN 649C) should probably be labelled Intelliquent or Onvoy (CA); I'm pretty sure that Flowroute is not involved.

The 212-518 (LRN 16463071993, OCN 384C) is also Intelliquent / Onvoy (NY); I'm surprised that you show one but not the other.
dbs12
Mobile, AL

dbs12

For toll free, we may be able to get the resporg to show. If the 310 number comes up flowroute, then that is indeed who is us routing to. IQ May be using them as an offnet.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Is the data real-time? If the carrier changes for a DID, will the database reflect the new carrier immediately?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 recommendation

Stewart to dbs12

to dbs12
said by dbs12:

If the 310 number comes up flowroute, then that is indeed who is us routing to.

I assume that you meant "who it is routing to".

You are absolutely correct, but I don't understand the logic behind it.

For 310-734 number, AlcazarNetworks (paid LRN lookup, supposedly real-time) shows:

LRN: 12134930978
SPID: 683G
OCN: 649C
LATA: 730
CITY: LOS ANGELES
STATE: CA
JURISDICTION: INTERSTATE
LEC: NEUTRAL TANDEM-CALIFORNIA, LLC - CA
LINETYPE: LANDLINE
DNC:

SPID 683G is Flowroute.

And »apeiron.io/lrn shows:

{
"alt_lerg_carrier_name": null,
"alt_spid": " ",
"alt_spid_carrier_name": " ",
"alt_spid_category": " ",
"as_of_date": "2019-01-06",
"city": "BEVERLYHLS",
"lata": "730",
"lrn": "2134930978",
"ported_on_date": "2015-03-05T16:02:00.000Z",
"porting_status": "YES",
"primary_lerg_carrier_name": "FLOWROUTE LLC",
"primary_spid": "683G",
"primary_spid_carrier_name": " ",
"primary_spid_category": "IPES",
"state": "CA"
}

But Flowroute has no number assignments in the area and the call is clearly being routed by IQ. Conceivably, Flowroute is an intermediate carrier, but why? This number is with SignalWire. I think of Flowroute as a first class outfit, not cheap but damn reliable with great quality and support. OTOH, SignalWire is primarily offering low cost (I haven't had any reliability or quality issues with them, but they are an unproven newcomer). Now if I get a US DID from Flowroute, I pay $1.25/mo. + $0.012/min. + USF. Sure, they offer big discounts to volume users, but SignalWire is selling at $0.08/mo. + $0.00325/min. I figure their buy rate must be below $0.0025/min. and it's hard to believe that Flowroute is giving them a >80% discount, especially since SW is just ramping up and can't commit to huge volume. I'm sure this must somehow make business sense to all parties -- can you please explain?
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

2 recommendations

OzarkEdge to PX Eliezer0

to PX Eliezer0
said by PX Eliezer0:

It does not do "dots" however.

Good! Ignore dots... an unfortunate fad.

OE

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

2 recommendations

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by OzarkEdge:

Good! Ignore dots... an unfortunate fad.

But I like DOTS when I go to the movies!!
dbs12
Mobile, AL

2 recommendations

dbs12 to josephf

to josephf
Yup, data is real-time. Should reflect nearly instantly.
dbs12

1 recommendation

dbs12 to Stewart

to Stewart
They are probably just using flowroute as tandem. FWIW, flowroute is crazy expensive. Our company will offer DIDs for a flat $1/mo without any minute or channel fees. In a sense, unlimited inbound for $1. And with volume it goes down from there.
ipso
join:2018-05-13
Joshua Tree, CA

1 recommendation

ipso to dbs12

to dbs12
said by dbs12:

Yup, data is real-time. Should reflect nearly instantly.

Glad you qualified "instantly", for "instantly" is difficult to achieve. "Nearly instantly" is plenty fast for me. Thanks again for the website.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to dbs12

to dbs12
It got my verizon wireless cell phone OK

However, it did not get our Voip line (Callcentric using a 919-562-xxxx) nor a Republic Wireless (919-435-xxxx) - both of these showed as Bandwidth.com
dbs12
Mobile, AL

2 recommendations

dbs12

Callcentric and Republic are both resellers of bandwidth.com. In fact, republic is owned by bandwidth.com.

rolandh
Premium Member
join:2015-01-02

rolandh

Premium Member

Not in the same sense as it used to be. Republic was spun out as a separate company in late 2016. As the funding to do so came from Bandwidth, no doubt Bandwidth controls the stock.