Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

Windows 10 Will Reserve 7GB of Your Computer's Storage in its Next Major Rel

»tech.slashdot.org/story/ ··· ont-fail

"In the next major release of Windows 10, Microsoft will reserve 7GB of your device's storage to resolve a Windows 10 bug thrown up by Windows Update not checking whether a PC has enough storage space before launching after big updates..."

7 GB?! Ouch.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

3 recommendations

Blackbird

Premium Member

Meh. With 865 Gb currently free on the drive, my system will never even miss a heartbeat.

Mark12547
Premium Member
join:2015-10-06
Salem, OR
Cisco DPC3941

2 recommendations

Mark12547

Premium Member

At least it isn't like some mainframe upgrades I did back in the 1980s where we had three disk packs we mounted to generate a new version of the operating system, copy the resulting system to tape, and then installing the final build on the disk pack that we would boot for production.

Some programs I install or update will first check for sufficient disk space to perform the install/update, and only then will start expanding files and doing the install.

I can imagine setting aside 7GB for the install can be a problem on some systems with limited space on the system disk, but that's better than the update crashing with the operating system half installed.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

3 recommendations

Tursiops_G

MVM

If losing 7GB of available storage space becomes an issue of concern, then the total size of the OS drive/partition is definitely inadequate from the start...

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Meh. With 865 Gb currently free on the drive, my system will never even miss a heartbeat.

You have a very huge and expensive SSD? :P

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

3 recommendations

EGeezer to Mark12547

Premium Member

to Mark12547
said by Mark12547:

At least it isn't like some mainframe upgrades I did back in the 1980s where we had three disk packs we mounted to generate a new version of the operating system, ...

... Or use a pressure pad console to type hex instructions to mount an outboard diskette drive to a Series one so you could patch or install features to EDX. The parking garage setup I serviced used the diskette drive as a sort of virtual memory since that model only had 16KB memory. The diskette and R/W head would wear out, so the drive and diskette had to be replaced before the garage system could be operational. We kept a spare drive and diskette on site.

They were used at Kmart, State Farm, Lowes, on aircraft carriers, Lewis Space Center in Cleveland, in parking garages, door access control, industrial control and monitoring systems etc.

You might find those buggers in the oddest places - like the one I serviced that was located in an office bathroom. I had to sit on the toilet to work on it.

I recently saw where they were still in use on submarines as late as two years ago.
sestrada
Premium Member
join:2012-11-05
U.S.A.
·Charter

sestrada to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
we always had a choice to let or not let users to install ms updates until last year

maybe that new 7g reserved space has something to do whatever they're planning next
With the combination of Windows Update for Business and Windows as a Service, we effectively created a new paradigm for update management, one that does not require administrators to approve every update manually before it can be deployed.

Dual Scan introduces an unwanted loss of control. Prior to Windows 10, you couldn’t accidentally upgrade a managed machine to a new build simply by scanning against Windows Update (WU) because only quality updates were provided via that channel.

there is now a possibility that a client managed through WSUS or Configuration Manager can receive a feature update that was not approved by its administrator.
»blogs.technet.microsoft. ··· al-scan/

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to antdude

MVM

to antdude
said by antdude:

»tech.slashdot.org/story/ ··· ont-fail

"In the next major release of Windows 10, Microsoft will reserve 7GB of your device's storage to resolve a Windows 10 bug thrown up by Windows Update not checking whether a PC has enough storage space before launching after big updates..."

7 GB?! Ouch.

It's not as nasty as it sounds. It is an OPTIONAL feature that may be enabled on NEW installs, but will not be enabled on updates.
»www.ghacks.net/2019/01/0 ··· plained/

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by Blackbird:

You have a very huge and expensive SSD? :P

I'm old school: size/redundancy over speed.
System

to antdude

Anon

to antdude
This topic has been closed. Reason: More suitable topic exists

See: »[WIN10] New "reserved storage" in next feature update 1903