All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jenom
join:2006-02-25
Ontario, GTA

jenom

[Cable] Hitron CGN3 cable modem firmware update?

Got a Hitron CGN3 cable modem on a Rogers line with Teksavvy.
It has a firmware v4.2.2.5 , which is maybe from 2014/2015
Currently Rogers pushed firmware v.4.5.8.x to their customer
Wondering if my modem will get updated by either Rogers ? or Teksavvy ?
Thanks!
Cpuroast
join:2000-07-23
Canada

Cpuroast

No it won't.

Rogers does not upgrade the firmware on TPIA modems, they never have and they likely never will.

TSI Stephen
Premium Member
join:2017-09-13
Chatham, ON

TSI Stephen to jenom

Premium Member

to jenom
The CGN3 can also be bridged & hooked up to your personal router if you prefer.
jenom
Ontario, GTA

jenom

read about there is a "trial" firmware available if someone is asking for it at community rogers forum
however, without a Rogers account, I can not even register at the forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
yes, I tried "bridge" mode with an ASUS RT-N66U router (Tomato FW)
however, got the best speed results with this Hitron thing is when left in "Gateway" mode and a PC was connected directly to it with a LAN cable
When in bridge mode+my router......speed went down to 50 %
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

2 recommendations

Datalink

Premium Member

Firmware version 4.2.2.5 is really old. Without the ability to update the firmware, you need to think about what you're doing with that modem. The CGN3 was the first Intel Puma 6 modem that was introduced by Rogers. That introduction was painful, to put it mildly. If you've kept up with the Puma 6 latency issues, then you should be aware that CNG3, with old firmware will cause latency issues, to and thru the modem. Its unsuitable for gaming or any application that requires low latency. Here's what you can expect for latency thru that modem, pinging the CMTS:

»communityforums.rogers.c ··· /tab/all

Thats a slow ping cycle, one ping every 2.5 seconds. If you reduce that ping interval down below 1 second, you'll see a many more high time returns from the CMTS. Thats the modem's fault. So, the CMTS is on the road to everywhere and that slide shows the type of delays that you're going to see thru the modem. On top of that, for UDP traffic, there is a packet loss issue as well.

Intel has released updates to resolve the latency issue, however, no company, from Intel to the manufacturers to the ISPs have released any test results to indicate that the latency issues have been resolved for all protocols, ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP and for both IPV4 and IPV6 cases. Once again, its up to the users to test the modems to determine whether the updates have been successful or not.

If all you do is web cruise with that modem, then the worst that you should see is slower page loads due to the latency and UDP losses for IP address lookups.

If you're interested in the history, here's a couple of threads to read thru:

»[Modem] SB6190 is a terrible modem - Intel Puma 6 / MaxLinear mistake

»SB6190 Puma6 TCP/UDP Network Latency Issue Discussion

How did you manage to get a CGN3 running on a TPIA service?

Personal opinion, you should park that modem, it might make a good doorstop, and buy a non-Intel modem with up to date firmware.
jenom
Ontario, GTA

jenom

CGN3 is on the Teksavvy approved modem list

hxxxx://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/200315110-Approved-Cable-Modems-Rogers-Network-Ontario-

Any suggestions how to get the "trial" firmware somehow ?
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Very interesting. Is that a recent purchase from Teksavvy, or is that an old Rogers modem?

TSI Stephen
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Stephen

Premium Member

The CGN3 is a loaner modem that TekSavvy has provided. It was available for about the last month with new signups.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Did anyone at Teksavvy test the modem for latency with that firmware version loaded? There is a chance that the indicated version number doesn't line up with the version numbers that Rogers has used and that the modem is ok. On the other hand, if thats an old firmware version, it will cause nothing but problems due to the latency to and thru the modem.

TSI Stephen
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Stephen to jenom

Premium Member

to jenom
Hey jenom, can you please shoot us a DM »/forum ··· avdirect it does show that firmware is older.

TSI Joseph
Premium Member
join:2015-04-13
Chatham, ON

TSI Joseph to Datalink

Premium Member

to Datalink
said by Datalink:

Did anyone at Teksavvy test the modem for latency with that firmware version loaded? There is a chance that the indicated version number doesn't line up with the version numbers that Rogers has used and that the modem is ok. On the other hand, if thats an old firmware version, it will cause nothing but problems due to the latency to and thru the modem.

We did some preliminary testing with this modem with the approved FW of 4.2.4.11RES, this modem shouldn't have v4.2.2.5 on it.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Would you happen to know what the release date for 4.2.4.11RES happens to be? Just curious. Without seeing the test results, that release date might indicate what to expect for latency thru the modem. I'd be pinging off of Hitron to determine what Intel SDK updates have been included to resolve the ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP latencies. Asking a simple question might save several hours of trouble-shooting down the road.

TSI Joseph
Premium Member
join:2015-04-13
Chatham, ON

TSI Joseph

Premium Member

said by Datalink:

Would you happen to know what the release date is for 4.2.4.11RES happens to be? Just curious. Without seeing the test results, that release date might indicate what to expect for latency thru the modem. I'd be pinging off of Hitron to determine what Intel SDK updates have been included to resolve the ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP latencies. Asking a simple question might save several hours of trouble-shooting down the road.

IIRC the release date for 4.2.4.11RES was March of 2018.
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Fwiw, there was a 4.2.4.11 version released for the Rogers CGN3 in Oct 2017. Question is, is this the same version?

Looking at the firmware version list for the Rogers modems, there were further updates for the newer CGN3xxxx modems for latency purposes, the most notable one being the March 2018 4.5.8.38T4 version. That coincides with your 4.2.4.11RES release in March of 2018. Maybe Hitron updated all of their firmware versions at that time? Unless Teksavvy already knows the answer, I'd be pinging off of Hitron to determine the state of affairs for the latency updates for all of the Hitron modems approved for use by Teksavvy. That might not help very much if you can't update the firmware versions due to testing costs with Rogers, but, it might determine if Teksavvy really wants to unleash more Puma 6 modems on the network. Teksavvy might just point their customers towards other modems instead. All personal opinion of course

Here's the Rogers firmware list for the various modems:

»communityforums.rogers.c ··· p/356672

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Datalink:

there were further updates for the newer CGN3xxxx modems for latency purposes, the most notable one being the March 2018 4.5.8.38T4 version

Has the Puma 6 issue been significantly improved?
said by Cpuroast:

ogers does not upgrade the firmware on TPIA modems, they never have and they likely never will.

They have upgraded firmwares for TPIA several times over the years. SB6120 three times, the last coinciding with a push to SB6121, and I think also the SMCD3GN (different firmware, of course, but same summer). The most recent I know of was for the DPC3848. Except, I mean.. The only one that you could really say was FOR TPIA, rather than for themselves, is the DPC3848 one, but that's splitting hairs I think
Cpuroast
join:2000-07-23
Canada

Cpuroast

I stand corrected, if they do update TPIA modems here and there, that's good to know.

Puma 6 is and always will be horrible.

TP-Link TC7650 or SmartRG SR808AC are the only 2 options for sane cable internet on Rogers for speeds of 75Mbit and above.
jenom
Ontario, GTA

jenom

I have double checked my CGN3 firmware, it has version 4.2.4.11, not what I have mentioned before
seems like working solid in both gateway and bridge mode
no crashes or reboots, wifi is ok within 30 ft

TSI Stephen
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Stephen

Premium Member

Good to hear !!!
rseiler
join:2001-11-01

rseiler to TSI Joseph

to TSI Joseph
Where do things stand with this today, particularly since I think this modem is the only one you give out to new customers (on a Rogers system)?

Is 4.2.4.11RES going to be it, and is it stable? I guess no firmware can solve all the Puma6 issues, but if it doesn't have the latency issue and doesn't drop out, I guess that's something.

Not sure where the security issue with Puma6 stands.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

1 edit

Fraoch

Just to update this thread:

Got a CGN3U from TekSavvy two weeks ago as a loaner modem. The firmware is 4.5.8.37T12 - presumably the last firmware Rogers pushed out to it when these were all on Rogers, the 4.5.8.x firmware.

I'm hoping this has the fixes put out by Intel, but the Puma 6 test on this forum doesn't look good at all.

But I had one fairly lengthy VoIP call this morning and it sounded fine on both ends. Since that's the most latency-sensitive thing I'll be doing with it, I'm happy.
rseiler

1 edit

rseiler to jenom

to jenom
Just got CGNM-3550 with 4.5.11.8.

Unfortunately, 192.168.0.1 dies after putting the modem in bridged mode, and 192.168.100.1 doesn't work either.

I found an old thread about the CGN3 stating that this was an issue WAY back with certain 4.2.x versions, but it was corrected back then, so I'm surprised that it would be an issue again now.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else figured it out?

Fraoch
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch

said by rseiler:

Just got CGNM-3550 with 4.5.11.8.

Unfortunately, 192.168.0.1 dies after putting the modem in bridged mode, and 192.168.100.1 doesn't work either.

I found an old thread about the CGN3 stating that this was an issue WAY back with certain 4.2.x versions, but it was corrected back then, so I'm surprised that it would be an issue again now.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else figured it out?

Are you trying to access this through a router?

Apparently you need a setting to allow this with some routers.
rseiler

rseiler

said by Fraoch:

Not yet, no, just plugged straight.

Fraoch
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch

said by rseiler:

said by Fraoch:

Not yet, no, just plugged straight.

Hmm, that should have worked then.
rseiler

1 edit

rseiler

said by Fraoch:

Hmm, that should have worked then.

I did read something which hinted that only one port remains active after entering bridged mode (the closest one to the coax), but I suppose I should test the other three when I get back to it.

The only other variable should be the FW.

Update: It was the port. Only the one FARTHEST from the coax remains active (I had read that it was the closest one instead, and they're helpfully not numbered). When using that correct port, 100.1 works in bridged mode.
Alexo
join:2003-12-06
Richmond Hill, ON

Alexo to Fraoch

to Fraoch
said by Fraoch:

Any idea what that setting can be?

Fraoch
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch

said by Alexo:

said by Fraoch:

Any idea what that setting can be?

This was a while ago and it always just worked for me. I remember reading something at the time, sorry.
Alexo
join:2003-12-06
Richmond Hill, ON

1 recommendation

Alexo

Found it!
»Accessing the Modem Via the Router
allenwp
join:2016-01-11

3 edits

allenwp to jenom

to jenom
Hey there,

Anyone know what the latest firmware for the CGN3 is? Right now I seem to be running 4.5.8.37T12 and I am having an intermittent issue when running in bridged mode and also having a different intermittent issue when running in router/gateway mode.

I didn't have any issues when running in bridged mode with the exact same model of modem for an entire year starting in December of 2018 when I had Rogers as my ISP and otherwise the exact same network configuration. This is why I'm thinking it could be a different firmware that is the culprit...

Thanks!
Allen

EDIT: I just got off the phone with a Teksavvy agent about yet another issue that I have now started to have (modem is completely dropping its internet connection every 30 min or so). Apparently Rogers automatically pushes the latest firmware to all modems on the network as it becomes available. So, in theory, I should already have the latest firmware...

CliqueofOne
join:2003-08-22
Brantford, ON

CliqueofOne

"Apparently Rogers automatically pushes the latest firmware to all modems on the network as it becomes available."

I’m curious if 4.5.11.11 is the most recent version for my CGNM-3550-TPIA Router.