Search similar:

uniqs
ipbyp1
join:2019-01-23
Kansas City, MO

ipbyp1

[Speed Issues] Ubee e31u2v1 latency increases

Click for full size
I picked up a Ubee E31U2V1 from my local Spectrum store after reading a lot of reports on here about it being a good modem. This was to replace my own SB6183, which has not had any issues at this time.

I noticed a strange increase in ping times when using the Ubee E31U2V1 modem. I can easily reverse this by swapping back to the SB6183 and having it activated. All of my ping plots are using the same WAN IP and therefore the traceroutes are the same when swapping between the two modems, so this doesn't appear to be a variance in route that is the cause of the increased latency.

Are other members also seeing a similar increase in latency when switching to these new Spectrum provided D3.1 modems?
Purnerdyl00
join:2016-02-08
Queensbury, NY
Ubee E31U2V1
Tenda Nova MW6
Netgear Orbi

Purnerdyl00

I have the same modem and that is not case with mine. I had the Hitron and now I have the Ubee like you so I can access signals. The Ubee in my case is a little better in terms of ping times than the Hitron but I don’t see any spikes or weird issues at ping using PingPlotter.

Though maybe the SB6163 and so forth is better optimized? I expect over time as these are new modems from Spectrum, to see issues and bugs ironed out.
ipbyp1
Kansas City, MO

ipbyp1

Thanks for the response. Do you have any ping plots or data showing the improvement? How big of a different did you see on average and do you know if the pings are taking the same routes?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to narrow down what's going on in my situation. Also notice that the gateway pings in my case seem to stay the same, but the routed traffic shows a large increase in latency, which I find really odd.

I'll also post signal stats from the Ubee, I need to dig those up, maybe they will show something of an issue.
Purnerdyl00
Queensbury, NY
Ubee E31U2V1
Tenda Nova MW6
Netgear Orbi

Purnerdyl00

I don’t have any data per say, but I do see in video games using the same servers as with my Hitron before, the latency went down to those same servers with the Ubee. Same with Speedtest.com latency test and Dslreports speedtest as well. I have also heard others say the latency is better in the Ubee 3.1 than the other modems they have tried.

But I would definitely do some further testing. I’ve never owned a SB6183, so maybe there is some efficiency improvements . Or any actual consumer modems. I’ve always had the modem from the ISP and being that Charter’s modem is free I don’t see a need to get one.
ipbyp1
Kansas City, MO

ipbyp1

Thanks again for taking the time to give more details. What was the modem model # before you were able to get the new Ubee 3.1 modem? Perhaps that old modem had the PUMA6 chipset?
Purnerdyl00
Queensbury, NY
Ubee E31U2V1
Tenda Nova MW6
Netgear Orbi

Purnerdyl00

No Puma6, it was the Hitron 3.1 modem. Before that, I had the TC8717T. Just to keep in mind in sounds like at least for the Hitron and Ubee models of the 3.1 modem. The Puma7 chip is present. But I so far have not had any latency problems. It also sounds like the Puma7 is going to be slightly worse in latency than probably Broadcom chipsets. Which I assume the SB6183 has?
ipbyp1
Kansas City, MO

ipbyp1

Both the SB6183 and the TC8717T appear to have the same modem chipset (BCM33843).

I'm still not understanding why my gateway latency was relatively unchanged but my routed latency out on to the internet increased so much with the Ubee E31U2V1. I would expect the WAN latency to increase an equal amount.
ipbyp1

1 recommendation

ipbyp1

Click for full size
I've attached more graph data showing the SB6183, the Ubee E31U2V1, and then switching back to the SB6183. In all 3 cases the same WAN IP address was retained, so all of the ping traffic is using the same routed gateway to get to the internet. We can still see a considerable increase from the E31U2V1, switch back to the SB6183 immediately resolves this.

WAN latency (75.87.xx.xx) appears to increase slightly with the Ubee modem, but the increase is not as large as what we see to hops that are further away.