Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

What if I have IPv6 w/DS-Lite (how to allow users to connect to me)?

While I like helping people, this one puzzles me.

They have IPv6, they are using DS-Lite and they want to allow users from the Internet to connect to them.

How does one do that?

Please and thank you

PS. Note the subject line is what it is because, it can only allow a certain number of characters.
abenavraham
join:2015-11-21
NE Louisiana

abenavraham

What is DS-Lite?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

2 recommendations

Brano

MVM

Dual-Stack Lite? »www.juniper.net/document ··· iew.html

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm to abenavraham

Premium Member

to abenavraham
said by abenavraham:

What is DS-Lite?

Dual-Stack Lite

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

3 recommendations

tschmidt to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
said by aefstoggaflm:

They have IPv6, they are using DS-Lite and they want to allow users from the Internet to connect to them.

It is not possible for IPV4 hosts to access IPV6 hosts since the IPV4 address spaces is smaller. The ISP is only using IPV6 within its network, in effect they are using IPv6 like NAT.

Check to see of the ISP is able to support a form of port forwarding using the IPV6 link and the customer's router.

/tom

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

4 recommendations

maartena to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
DS-Lite is only designed to access IPv6 hosts from your own host. It is not designed to be connectable over IPv6.

They need to.....

1) Get actual, real IPv6 native, change ISP if needed.
2) Use IPv4 instead.

Any IPv6-only provider in the world will have carrier-grade NAT for IPv4, so they should be able to connect to you over IPv4.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Thank you.

I pointed them to this thread and quoted my self and told them
quote:
and got answers back that will help you solve your issue, since you have IPv6 via DS-Lite and you want to allow users from the net to connect to you.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

2 recommendations

Napsterbater to maartena

MVM

to maartena
Dual stack light provides fully globally routeable IPv6 addresses and networks (inbound and outbound), it does not provide public IPv4 addresses. It encapsulates IPv4 packets inside IPv6 packets that are then "unwrapped" at the ISP's CGN for IPv4.

But again the IPv6 is native, and can be connectable from other IPv6 host. But the IPv4 is behind CGNAT.
bsd1337
Beastie
join:2018-02-10
Redmond, WA

1 recommendation

bsd1337 to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
One way to let people connect to you behind DS-Lite without using IPv6 is Tor Onion (Hidden) Services and a tor2web (Onion Service to HTTP) gateway if you are using HTTP. While this setup is common for illegal websites and I don't recommend going to those, Onion Services are also very useful for hosting a server without a public IPv4 address and not requiring IPv6.

An introduction to Onion Services is available at Tor's website here: »www.torproject.org/docs/ ··· .html.en

A webpage for configuring Onion Services is available here: »www.torproject.org/docs/ ··· .html.en

However, I believe tor2web requires that Version 2 Onion Services are used, and the performance will be slow on tor2web. But at least you could host a server without requiring IPv6.