resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

11 recommendations

resa1983

Premium Member

New CRTC Policy Directive

CRTC has been given a new policy directive from the liberal gov.

»twitter.com/christinedob ··· 05394432

That means Ian Scott has to get off his butt and not just rubberstamp everything from incumbents like he wants to do.

From Michael Geist:
quote:
The new policy directive to the CRTC sends a clear signal that the government has had enough with Ian Scott’s approach. Requires the Commission to consider how regulation can promote competition, affordability, consumer interests, and innovation.
This includes encouraging *all forms* of competition, affordable access, consumer rights, and reduced barriers to entry for new competitors. CRTC to demonstrate compliance with the order and specify how its measures are achieving these objectives.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

7 recommendations

MacGyver

Yes, a byelection just conducted, and a general election on the horizon with waning polls for the current government. Clearly being done for all the right reasons.
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario

1 recommendation

bjlockie to resa1983

to resa1983
The CRTC should have to go on record for each future decision how they considered each criteria.
Detail each factor, not just "we considered everything".
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

1 recommendation

resa1983

Premium Member

said by bjlockie:

The CRTC should have to on record for each decision considered all those criteria.

Except those decisions were made under a previous policy direction, which had different purposes.
resa1983

resa1983

Premium Member

And here's the order:
»www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sm ··· 484.html

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

18 recommendations

HiVolt to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Better late than never. In the 1.5 years that Ian Scott has been at the helm, absolutely FUCK ALL has been done for affordable TPIA FTTH, despite a job well done by his predecessor.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

6 recommendations

Guspaz to resa1983

MVM

to resa1983
Bell announced FTTH deployments ten years ago. TEN YEARS ago. Today, you still can't buy FTTH through an IISP.

»www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/ ··· 963.html
bimwad
join:2003-07-22
Toronto

3 recommendations

bimwad to resa1983

to resa1983
If they really wanted to act would they have not fired him?
This sounds like "hey Scott, keep dragging your feet. We just need to make it look good for the next election."

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

2 recommendations

Guspaz to resa1983

MVM

to resa1983
It's much easier to issue a new policy direction than replace the chairman.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

8 recommendations

TSI Andy to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
This policy direction is a huge win -- exactly what needs to happen to reset the CRTC's approach to competition.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

9 recommendations

taraf

said by TSI Andy:

This policy direction is a huge win -- exactly what needs to happen to reset the CRTC's approach to competition.

I'll believe that when I see action. Until then, it's just words.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

11 recommendations

TSI Andy

Premium Member

said by taraf:

I'll believe that when I see action. Until then, it's just words.

Then let's make sure it isn't "just words". To get enacted, it will need support for consumers, not just from competitors like TekSavvy. There's an opening here to make the CRTC change direction on competition -- if you think that's important, then make your voice heard over the next 30 days to support the Policy Direction.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

4 edits

2 recommendations

Teddy Boom to TSI Andy

Premium Member

to TSI Andy
said by TSI Andy:

I think so too, congratulations to TekSavvy, CNOC, etc!!

Drawing out a bit of context..

[edit]
Seems useful to stick in some history from even further back. For 19th and 20th century stuff, Dwayne Winseck's article Canadian Telecommunications: A History and Political Economy of Media Reconvergence is great. I don't think I've ever gotten through the whole article, but even just a quick look will give great context for how this stuff evolved. For the early 21st century shenanigans around the CRTC, Nordicity has (pdf): Implementing an Equivalence of Inputs Regime in Canada’s Telecommunications Market.
[end edit]

Is it reasonable to draw a straight line from the 2006 Policy Direction to the aborted UBB decisions of 2009? (this was, more or less, before I got interested in the industry)

Then Tony Clement turned it all on it's head without any 'official' policy change, and we got CBB, and a bit of a reprieve. CBB was out of touch, but streaming was still a minority activity, so it didn't hurt *that* badly.

In 2015 the Liberals get elected, and give a not very competition friendly mandate letter to Navdeep Bains.. I can't find a link for this :/

Toward the end of his term, Blais got around to his somewhat arbitrary CBB adjustment that resulted in the price cuts in early 2016? No, looks like 2016 decision, early 2017 price changes:
»crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2 ··· -396.htm
»[Cable] Early Christmas Present from TekSavvy

The adjusted CBB numbers didn't help that much, because by 2017 it was all about FTTH anyway. In retrospect, by deciding against aggregated FTTH, Blais' CRTC might not have been that good for the indies..
»Re: CRTC opens FTTP services to competition on interim basis

And in the meantime, the pro-monopoly mandate letter lead to a pro-monopoly CRTC chair:
»Government to name industry veteran Ian Scott as new head of the CRTC

And here we are..

In the other thread you say: """This one will promote "all forms of competition" instead of just facilities-based competition,"""
»New Policy Direction to the CRTC

De-emphasis of facilities based competition is huge, but.. Isn't the emphasis on facilities coming directly from the Telecom Act? I can't help maintaining a little of taraf's cynicism
Teddy Boom

2 recommendations

Teddy Boom to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Yes, a byelection just conducted, and a general election on the horizon with waning polls for the current government. Clearly being done for all the right reasons.

Sure. Maybe CTV, CityTV, and Global (aka Bell, Rogers and Shaw respectively) just haven't been giving the Liberals enough good press to pay for Ian Scott's appointment?

Realpolitik is real, you know

In any case, it's good news!
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

3 recommendations

resa1983 to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

De-emphasis of facilities based competition is huge, but.. Isn't the emphasis on facilities coming directly from the Telecom Act? I can't help maintaining a little of taraf's cynicism

Essentially, section 7 of the Telecom Act will need to be overhauled, which can probably be done during the days its in the House of Commons to be approved.
quote:
Objectives

7 It is hereby affirmed that telecommunications performs an essential role in the maintenance of Canada’s identity and sovereignty and that the Canadian telecommunications policy has as its objectives
(e) to promote the use of Canadian transmission facilities for telecommunications within Canada and between Canada and points outside Canada;
(f) to foster increased reliance on market forces for the provision of telecommunications services and to ensure that regulation, where required, is efficient and effective;
Per Michael Geist, the timeline to implementation:
»www.michaelgeist.ca/2019 ··· terests/
quote:
The proposed policy direction will take several months to work its way through a defined legal process (publication in the Canada Gazette in early March, 30 days for public comment, 40 House of Commons sitting days before it can take effect), but should be operational by the summer.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andy

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

Essentially, section 7 of the Telecom Act will need to be overhauled, which can probably be done during the days its in the House of Commons to be approved.

Just to clarify, the Policy Direction is independent of changing the policy objectives in the Act. The Direction is an order to the CRTC about how they should interpret those Objectives. So just like in 2006, the Governor in Council can send a Direction without also amending the Act.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

5 recommendations

diskace

Premium Member

Andy where do you suggest canadians upvote this statement ? We're going to cover this story but sending people in the right direction could help

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

2 recommendations

Teddy Boom to TSI Andy

Premium Member

to TSI Andy
said by TSI Andy:

Just to clarify, the Policy Direction is independent of changing the policy objectives in the Act.

Ya, I get that they are distinct things. I don't get how that works in Canadian law and/or Canadian governance.

Just doing a quick scroll through the Act now, I realise how wrong I've had it.. For whatever reason it's been stuck in my head that the "facilities based mandate", as I put it here, was part of the Telecommunications Act, when it really isn't. And right there at the top of the Act is the allowance for policy direction:
Powers of Governor in Council, Commission and Minister

Directions

8 The Governor in Council may, by order, issue to the Commission directions of general application on broad policy matters with respect to the Canadian telecommunications policy objectives.

Exemptions

9 (1) The Commission may, by order, exempt any class of Canadian carriers from the application of this Act, subject to any conditions contained in the order, where the Commission, after holding a public hearing in relation to the exemption, is satisfied that the exemption is consistent with the Canadian telecommunications policy objectives.
The policy direction trumps the Act. I bet I've scanned over that stuff before, but I certainly never appreciated the significance. Wow!

It is all rather hard for a layman, which I guess is the point.. The ruling class, and all that..
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

2 recommendations

GeorgeBurger to resa1983

to resa1983
No this is a very big deal. The old direction has been a terrible impediment to getting anything done. This gives the CRTC a lot of room to manouver to ensure real competition it he marketplace, and limit the abusive practices of the dominant market players. I have confidence in the CRTC doing the right thing going forward, unfettered, and focusing on the interest of all Canadians. Our take on this is reflected here: »www.vmedia.ca/blog/vmedi ··· on-crtc/
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

2 recommendations

resa1983

Premium Member

And the first result from the new policy directive...

CRTC launches comprehensive review of mobile wireless services
quote:
February 28, 2019 – Ottawa-Gatineau – Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today launched a review to examine the state of the mobile wireless market and whether further action is required to improve choice and affordability for Canadians.

The CRTC is also seeking comments on its preliminary view that mobile virtual network operators should have mandated access to the networks of the national wireless providers (Bell Mobility, Rogers and Telus) until they are able to establish themselves in the market.

Finally, the Commission will be looking ahead to the future of mobile wireless services in Canada and in particular at whether regulatory measures are needed to facilitate the deployment of 5G network infrastructure.
»crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2 ··· 9-57.htm

mugurd
join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON

2 recommendations

mugurd to resa1983

to resa1983
Just fire that shill already...why pussyfoot around. Every second he stays at the head of CRTC is 1000$ in bribes and 300$ in taxpayer money. (I hope it's not that much 😂).

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

2 recommendations

XNemesis to resa1983

to resa1983
Yay another review. So in another 2-5 years time we'll have some real benefit for the serfs.

If there's one thing that the CRTC excels at is lengthy reviews.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andy to diskace

Premium Member

to diskace
said by diskace:

Andy where do you suggest canadians upvote this statement ? We're going to cover this story but sending people in the right direction could help

There’ll be lots of opportunity for folks to show support through the consultation process, which we expect to run until early April. Stay tuned for more information about exactly how to participate in that consultation!

Anone898e
@74.220.184.x

Anone898e

Anon

So this means maybe I don't have to set up a picket in front of CRTC headquarters with a big sign reading "FTTP TPIA"? That's a relief.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andy

Premium Member

said by Anone898e :

So this means maybe I don't have to set up a picket in front of CRTC headquarters with a big sign reading "FTTP TPIA"? That's a relief.

I mean, it can't hurt!
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

1 recommendation

GeorgeBurger to resa1983

to resa1983
TSI Andy is right, everyone who cares should write to ISED strongly supporting the Direction, posting in the Canada Gazette is skedded for March 9, comments are open 30 days after that. This is a big one folks we can't let this slip through our fingers.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to resa1983

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

It doesn't - due to forbearance. CRTC always has to follow policy directives but can forbear parts of s.7 to do so.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

2 recommendations

camelot to resa1983

to resa1983
It should also be noted that this is an election year- so the Gov't is going to throw a ton of treats at the populace to try to position themselves for the fall. Especially in light of the Wilson-Raybould situation, recently. They're going to need all the help they can get.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

7 recommendations

resa1983

Premium Member

KvF (Remember him? Remember how we all disliked him?) wrote to Bains yesterday about the policy directive.

Advises Bains to not let the lobbying and coopting that happened with him and the last Policy Directive, happen this time.

»www.cdhowe.org/sites/def ··· 2019.pdf

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

1 edit

2 recommendations

diskace

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

KvF (Remember him? Remember how we all disliked him?) wrote to Bains yesterday about the policy directive.

Advises Bains to not let the lobbying and coopting that happened with him and the last Policy Directive, happen this time.

»www.cdhowe.org/sites/def ··· 2019.pdf

Wow, i am shocked.